ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K says we have lack of depth

The only real worry I have about the “ depth “ comment or lack of experience on it is BC does not have one five star on their bench and the guard that was hitting everything was a division one football recruit.

Goes to say ,” hard work beats talent, when talent doesn’t work hard!”

To say our bench couldn’t help is a little bit concerning especially when you watch a three star freshman recruit tie up and take the ball from a taller future NBA all star.

The only real worry I have about the “ depth “ comment or lack of experience on it is BC does not have one five star on their bench and the guard that was hitting everything was a division one football recruit.

Goes to say ,” hard work beats talent, when talent doesn’t work hard!”

To say our bench couldn’t help is a little bit concerning especially when you watch a three star freshman recruit tie up and take the ball from a taller future NBA all star.
Good post Shey. We have the talent, now maybe losing yesterday will show them what they have to work on.
No other team has the potential this Duke team does, we just need them to now really "want" to be great.

But dukiejaybilas, I only take the ones your minion datt forgets to take!
Say, @Mac9192 , is this an example of one of those "lovely condescending remarks," of things that "poke," etc?

Or is it different because you give it the ol' thumbs-up?

Grayson was told by K to be more aggressive. It's not like him to miss 15 out of 20 shots and to miss 8 3 point shots. We would have won had he been 8 for 20 probably, so to me it's not on Allen at all. A disturbing stat was Bagley, after dominating early, only took 4 shots in the 2nd half. That falls on Everyone, from K to the players. We also got out rebounded, which is something I thought wouldn't happen this season.
Duval must shore up his game. I realize he's a freshman, but he had more fouls than assists, and he hasn't played well as of late. I think he will get better. Our defense will get better too, and as it does, the need to keep scoring won't be quite as crucial.
K felt O'Connell, Bolden and Goldwire couldn't help in the 2nd half, even though I disagree with that.
Like so many have said, now that we have practice time, let's all hope the team now sees the need to shore up a few areas.
It was a team loss, but I think Grayson being a senior it was on him more than Duval. Grayson has deferred already some this season in order for us to get the win, which I was surprised that he continued to shoot as much as he did. I'll always give the freshmen a bigger leash. They've only been coached by K for a little while compared to our lone senior. I just can't wait to see this team grow. I'm looking forward to our next game - December 20th!

I have gotten used to 2 Coach K truisms: (1) we have no depth; and (2) we are young, the other team is old. They are somewhat self-fulfilling prophesies, but clearly Coach K doesn't trust players who haven't proven themselves time and again in practice or games, or both. He's not going to change and I can live with that and the 1000+ games he has won already.

Truthfully AOC did not look good in the first half and he's the next guy off the bench. It was too fast a game for Bolden, there was no one he could guard out there. So we're left with 6 to play.

I have gotten used to 2 Coach K truisms: (1) we have no depth; and (2) we are young, the other team is old. They are somewhat self-fulfilling prophesies, but clearly Coach K doesn't trust players who haven't proven themselves time and again in practice or games, or both. He's not going to change and I can live with that and the 1000+ games he has won already.

Truthfully AOC did not look good in the first half and he's the next guy off the bench. It was too fast a game for Bolden, there was no one he could guard out there. So we're left with 6 to play.

I may be going out on a limb in saying this but I think Bolden is our best ball screen defender as a big man.

I may be going out on a limb in saying this but I think Bolden is our best ball screen defender as a big man.

That's fair....and besides Amile, he was probably next best last season, too.

There are going to be games like Saturday where primarily six guys play, and there will be times when we go eight with AOC playing 10-12 minutes. It's just going to depend.

That's fair....and besides Amile, he was probably next best last season, too.

There are going to be games like Saturday where primarily six guys play, and there will be times when we go eight with AOC playing 10-12 minutes. It's just going to depend.

Yep, I agree completely. I do think you will see teams go small against us when Bagley and Carter are in the game and make them defend ball screens all night. I take my hat off to BC and their staff, they did a tremendous job of putting us in a position to have our bigs defend in space and once they found a chink in the armour they did it to us all 2nd half.

If Bagley and Carter punish teams inside all night, then the other teams have to rethink their strategy and adapt to Duke.

I'm not convinced a big team can't play adequate defense. I do question whether it's good to switch on every screen when you have 2 big defenders who you want on the back line. Of course Coach K has tried every possible defense against the pick and roll (or pop) in the last 5 years and none has worked very well. Perhaps he should watch more video on UVA and the way they do it with less than stellar athletes.

If Bagley and Carter punish teams inside all night, then the other teams have to rethink their strategy and adapt to Duke.

I'm not convinced a big team can't play adequate defense. I do question whether it's good to switch on every screen when you have 2 big defenders who you want on the back line. Of course Coach K has tried every possible defense against the pick and roll (or pop) in the last 5 years and none has worked very well. Perhaps he should watch more video on UVA and the way they do it with less than stellar athletes.

K and Bennett have 2 completely different man defensive schemes.

K and Bennett have 2 completely different man defensive schemes.

And I hope it stays that way. I respect the heck out of Bennett and how his guys play. They are disciplined, they have all bought in to the scheme, and it is unquestionably effective. But I don't want to watch it 40 times a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT