ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K says we have lack of depth

• Grayson always looks slow on d. He made some great plays today though. Our defense is trash. We need someone to step up and be our leader on defense. The guy is Javin, the problem is he can’t dribble or shoot, that’s a big problem.

I agree Javin D is really good when he plays down low. He can guard out to the perimeter. He is like Amile that he can’t score from more than two feet from the basket. He has no post moves or a jump shot. He tremendous in transition. Not great in half court.

Carter jr and Bagley both can hit 10 to 15 foot jumpers which spreads the defense. Both feed off each other well. When Javin in the game it does take away from our offense. Defenses can key on Allen, Bagely and Trent jr. along with sagging off of Duval more knowing he can’t pass to Carter Jr in the low post.

Jay had nothing to do with this. I heard he was in Florida at someone's beach condo. Some guy from Minnesota.

Well, he does work for John Skipper....so we can’t be sure. I also heard him say something not very flattering about Duke once. Pretty sure he did that on-purpose. Can’t comment, though, on the condo.

Reactions: Dattier
He wanted to step it up, and tried, but seemed to lack the energy or physical commitment in the 2nd half. He didn’t seem his normal beast mode. Sometimes we get ourselves in a fog. It happens. The best players find ways to drag themselves out. He’ll be able to most days.

Bagely is our best player it not really that close. Allen and Duval didn’t do a good enough job feeding him the ball. He hung around the perimeter instead of playing more down low against smaller players in the second half.

Well, he does work for John Skipper....so we can’t be sure. I also heard him say something not very flattering about Duke once. Pretty sure he did that on-purpose. Can’t comment, though, on the condo.
Just be a good host. Maybe then he will give Duke more credit than they deserve. We're all counting on you. I'm sure your hospitality will win him over.

If we score over 80 we should win against a bottom feeder of the ACC. The problem you will see going forward is now the we are playing big we will see small lineups against Duke, The BC staff did a great job running high ball screen after high ball screen and drawling our bigs away from the basket and making them play defense in space. We had no answer for that.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Silly Datt, it's not my formula. What did I say that wasn't true. He doesn't go deep into bench, we do have 4 and 5 stars over there. Most teams would love to have the guys we have siting. As the season goes, now here's the tricky part, so pay attention you silly silly boy, K trims it down, again not a lie.
Then in his presser, he says we're not deep. Big but not deep. I don't care if he's won 10 games or 10,000, that's a stupid comment. And if you defend that dumb comment, well Datt, I'd suggest you put the kool-aid down.

Brother, piece of advice, put Dattier on ignore. It's much, much better when you do.

Reactions: pisgah101
We are just a spoiled fan base. We (I'm including myself) want to win every game and then when we lose a game we get frustrated and want to point fingers and give reasons why we lost. You just stated that K has played 6 guys for most of his career in the 2nd half and I agree. This strategy has also made him the winningest coach in basketball and given our fans 5 championships. I'll continue to sometimes scratch my head, but I'll always know that we have the G.O.A.T. and that he has a plan for these players. It's just one game, this team will get much, much better as the season progresses. In the past when we had a veteran squad, it seemed like we peaked early. This team has a lot of room for improvement which is awesome. Let's just let the season play out like 2015.
One correction: We're all really fortunate to have witnessed such success. It's only those among us who flip out over each and every loss and assign blame left and right who are spoiled -- as in "spoiled, immature brats."

We definitely have depth. We all know that we do because K has played more guys in several games now. Even with some of the explanations offered here, I can't really wrap my head around K's statement. Maybe we didn't have depth yesterday because, well, K didn't want to play more guys or felt that they couldn't contribute in that particular game; so in that particular situation K is saying we didn't have depth? I dunno. I definitely think Alex could have had more burn. Bolden, too, if even just to provide some rest for Bagley or let him sit for a couple minutes until he realizes defense is a thing.

We definitely have depth. We all know that we do because K has played more guys in several games now. Even with some of the explanations offered here, I can't really wrap my head around K's statement. Maybe we didn't have depth yesterday because, well, K didn't want to play more guys or felt that they couldn't contribute in that particular game; so in that particular situation K is saying we didn't have depth? I dunno. I definitely think Alex could have had more burn. Bolden, too, if even just to provide some rest for Bagley or let him sit for a couple minutes until he realizes defense is a thing.
I don't see how the most obvious interpretation of what he said is anything other than a comment on the quality of our depth. Are any of us citing Mike Buckmire as "depth," for example, b/c he played vs St Francis? Why is it so difficult to understand that "depth" in an ACC road game is going to be different from "depth" in a blow-out?

Thank you! The first step, for someone like you, is coming to that realization.

Nice return of my own sarcasm... Certainly there are those that think so though, but it does my heart good to see your gospel questioned. Duhon played it perfectly, and more folks are beginning to challenge your views. Thats a healthy thing, a fertile mind like yours needs to be challenged....Sometimes you are wrong...OFC

Nice return of my own sarcasm... Certainly there are those that think so though, but it does my heart good to see your gospel questioned. Duhon played it perfectly, and more folks are beginning to challenge your views. Thats a healthy thing, a fertile mind like yours needs to be challenged....Sometimes you are wrong...OFC

But ever so rarely, my friend....

Coach K definitely should get the blame on our side. BC players get the rest of the blame. They are a 30% 3pt shooting team. The shot 58% today. That was just one of those days. Not much we can do about that. They looked like the Warriors out there. But I blame Coach K for not calling the big guys number on offense. He should know to feed the post. I can see if we shot 30 threes because they were kick-outs from the post but all of Grayson's threes were bad shots that I can recall. He shot us out the game if you want to be real.

Reactions: tw3301
Coach K definitely should get the blame on our side. BC players get the rest of the blame. They are a 30% 3pt shooting team. The shot 58% today. That was just one of those days. Not much we can do about that. They looked like the Warriors out there. But I blame Coach K for not calling the big guys number on offense. He should know to feed the post. I can see if we shot 30 threes because they were kick-outs from the post but all of Grayson's threes were bad shots that I can recall. He shot us out the game if you want to be real.

dechamp you are rite on point. What game was he watching??? He should have definitely made it a POINT OF EMPHASIS. Even on the 4pt lead with 3 mins to go possession, Bagley was the only Duke player not to touch the ball. Unbelievable and a coaching blunder by K which perhaps cost us the game coming out of the timeout.

OFC

All I want is for Duke to learn from yesterday. I'm concerned for our defense. Duke's d hasn't been that good all season, or for that matter, the last few seasons.
Guys will have off shooting days, but when your d is off, it magnifies the shooting.

All I want is for Duke to learn from yesterday. I'm concerned for our defense. Duke's d hasn't been that good all season, or for that matter, the last few seasons.
Guys will have off shooting days, but when your d is off, it magnifies the shooting.

Well after the break K wont have the luxury of falling back on "We haven't had enough time to practice." He's got plenty of time to develop the D, and further develop what he views as a lack of depth...Yesterday was really the first time he failed to adjust this year as a bench coach IMO, by not exploiting BC more down low in 2nd half.

OFC

Well after the break K wont have the luxury of falling back on "We haven't had enough time to practice." He's got plenty of time to develop the D, and further develop what he views as a lack of depth...Yesterday was really the first time he failed to adjust this year as a bench coach IMO, by not exploiting BC more down low in 2nd half.

OFC
It's an accurate, rational explanation, not a "luxury."

I'm more concerned about who's taking the most shots. Our bigs were 16-24 field goals vs 16-45 from our guards. If we reverse that, I like our chances much more. Still, you feed the hot hand. Grayson wasn't hot, he needed to defer.

You're not the scrappy, noble band of upstarts rising up against some so-called oppressive Clintonian overlord.

It's an accurate, rational explanation, not a "luxury."
i see it more as an excuse, especially when you're a 15 pt favorite and the other team lacks their best big. Why not "I just didnt do a very good job of having my team ready to play today."

OFC

I don't see how the most obvious interpretation of what he said is anything other than a comment on the quality of our depth. Are any of us citing Mike Buckmire as "depth," for example, b/c he played vs St Francis? Why is it so difficult to understand that "depth" in an ACC road game is going to be different from "depth" in a blow-out?

I think that's a fair point, Dat, and probably what K meant. Still, I would've have liked to have seen more Bolden as well as Alex get some minutes as I think both provide quality depth to our roster. Especially Alex. Heck, Bolden has been really improving this year and if all we were going to do with Bagley is use him to set screens in the 2nd half, surely Bolden can do that to provide some rest and refocus for Bagley a couple minutes here and there.

...I would've have liked to have seen more Bolden as well as Alex get some minutes as I think both provide quality depth to our roster...
Me, too. Some people here tend to throw point blame at K for that, while I'm more inclined to be disappointed for Alex and Quis.

Reactions: Mpm277
I'm more concerned about who's taking the most shots. Our bigs were 16-24 field goals vs 16-45 from our guards. If we reverse that, I like our chances much more. Still, you feed the hot hand. Grayson wasn't hot, he needed to defer.
Grayson was told by K to be more aggressive. It's not like him to miss 15 out of 20 shots and to miss 8 3 point shots. We would have won had he been 8 for 20 probably, so to me it's not on Allen at all. A disturbing stat was Bagley, after dominating early, only took 4 shots in the 2nd half. That falls on Everyone, from K to the players. We also got out rebounded, which is something I thought wouldn't happen this season.
Duval must shore up his game. I realize he's a freshman, but he had more fouls than assists, and he hasn't played well as of late. I think he will get better. Our defense will get better too, and as it does, the need to keep scoring won't be quite as crucial.
K felt O'Connell, Bolden and Goldwire couldn't help in the 2nd half, even though I disagree with that.
Like so many have said, now that we have practice time, let's all hope the team now sees the need to shore up a few areas.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We have to find a player on our roster who can be a stopper on defense. The Billy Kings in the past won Duke a lot of games. I don't care if they score a point. Duke at times this year are going to have to go small ball to win games like yesterday.

I think it’s ok to talk about why we lost and point out things we might do differently, as long as you’re ok with others being sarcastic about your stance.

Oh I agree. And I think there were people trying to have some of these conversations before yesterday’s loss and they were met with pushback by, ironically, the folks doing most of the complaining today.

This isn’t a perfect team. The coaching staff isn’t, either. We played soft yesterday. Marvin spent way too much time floating on the perimeter. Grayson took some really bad shots. Trevon played like a freshman. Coach K shortened his bench more than most of us would have liked.

Reactions: Mpm277
I think it’s ok to talk about why we lost and point out things we might do differently, as long as you’re ok with others being sarcastic about your stance.
Yes it's ok to go back and forth after a loss, as long as it stays on the issue.
That little phrase "stay on issue" is what gets some folks. Either someone's kid hijacked their computer or maybe someone forgot to take their meds, I don't know.
Most that post here know a lot about Duke, and if you're really honest, you know who the ones are that poke, or post those lovely condescending remarks, the ones that cause the back and forths away from the topic.
If there was no difference in opinion, there wouldn't be a message board.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yes it's ok to go back and forth after a loss, as long as it stays on the issue.
That little phrase "stay on issue" is what gets some folks. Either someone's kid hijacked their computer or maybe someone forgot to take their meds, I don't know.
Most that post here know a lot about Duke, and if you're really honest, you know who the ones are that poke, or post those lovely condescending remarks, the ones that cause the back and forths away from the topic.
If there was no difference in opinion, there wouldn't be a message board.

I agree and I feel bad now...had I known Hart was on meds I would have never said some of things I did.

Reactions: Dattier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT