ADVERTISEMENT

Bates Jones

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
This is the second time that I’ve heard that the staff has been surprised by what Jones has been able to do in team works.

I’m not saying he’s going to see a lot of time in games but if he can contribute in tough games that would be great for Duke.

Honestly, I thought where Duke might have a hole in the roster might have been the 4th big where I thought Coleman and Brakefield would have played.

Reactions: christophero
I was getting Bates Jones and Worthington mixed up in the scrimmage video. But every time I saw a good play and went back, it was usually bates. He's a smart player who won't hurt us if we put him in for a few minutes a game. I think he's going to surprise people this year and contribute and play. Esp. if Theo can't play big minutes. And we all know injuries happen.

Reactions: df64
I think to some degree, his 4 years stats make him look like he did nothing at Davidson. When they give his stats, they average all 4 years. His last year wasn't too bad. He had some good games.

He's also a 5th year senior like Theo, which can really help lead the young guys in practice and road games. I see some Jack White in his game. Bates does not seem soft, so he brings toughness. Him and Theo could be a nice combo off the bench.

I expect that he will only play in blowouts and emergency injury/foul trouble situations. He can still be a big help in practice though.

I think Bates will play some. It's a numbers game. Even if he is the 9th guy (he may be the 8th who knows) one injury and he's the 7th/8th guy. We added Banchero, Theo and Bates up front. We lost Hurt, Coleman, Brakefield, and Tape. Johnson if you count the first half of the season.

Reactions: skysdad
Just watch the body language of the players not getting a whole lot of PT. That will be a sure sign of what's going on. It's always been that way in past seasons. The body language. It will tell you who is transfering and whose in Coach K's dog house. :)OFC

Just watch the body language of the players not getting a whole lot of PT. That will be a sure sign of what's going on. It's always been that way in past seasons. The body language. It will tell you who is transfering and whose in Coach K's dog house. :)OFC
You are correct. That's the beauty of players such as Jones and Worthington. They expect no playing time. If they do contribute, the mood of the entire team is lifted

I think Bates will play some. It's a numbers game. Even if he is the 9th guy (he may be the 8th who knows) one injury and he's the 7th/8th guy. We added Banchero, Theo and Bates up front. We lost Hurt, Coleman, Brakefield, and Tape. Johnson if you count the first half of the season.
I see him as the 10th, behind Keels, Theo, Joey, and Blakes off the bench, but I guess it's possible he's in front of Blakes. I just think Theo will be the only big off the bench most of the season, with AJ sliding to the 4 quite a bit. But yes, injuries could change that.

Yeah I forgot one guy. He is the 9th or 10th guy, if we are fully healthy. Him being a senior may get him a few minutes.

Is Theo John practicing? How healthy is he? Does anyone know? Can he scrimmage? I haven't seen one second of him in action. If he can't even scrimmage I wonder how many minutes he will be able to play. Hope I'm wrong. Unless he's recovering from something. That is another reason Bates is important; due to John's uncertain status. The last scrimmage John was watching from the bench.

Last edited:
I see him as a practice player that was brought in to scrimmage with John against Paolo and Williams. Nothing more. The one thing I see in his favor is he was done until K called so either way he knows what’s expected out of him by the staff.

I like Bates but I'm not sure he's as good as a soph. Coleman. Coleman was starting to look good at the end of the year.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I like Bates but I'm not sure he's as good as a soph. Coleman. Coleman was starting to look good at the end of the year.
He definitely started to emerge. Appeared more relaxed and confident towards the end of last year. It’s been said already but that’s one thing I miss about the “good old days” getting to watch players develop over a few years.

He definitely started to emerge. Appeared more relaxed and confident towards the end of last year. It’s been said already but that’s one thing I miss about the “good old days” getting to watch players develop over a few years.
Was he coming into his own or putting on auditions for other teams knowing the transfer thing was going to happen? He could have hit his ceiling too and saw the writing on the wall. I mean if he was really going to be that good why run from going against some of the best bigs in the country in practice showing what you can do.

He wanted to start I guess. You would have to ask him. Maybe he thought Williams was one and done. My guess is we recruited Theo because they knew Coleman was leaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Was he coming into his own or putting on auditions for other teams knowing the transfer thing was going to happen? He could have hit his ceiling too and saw the writing on the wall. I mean if he was really going to be that good why run from going against some of the best bigs in the country in practice showing what you can do.
Completely agree. Wish him well, but won’t overestimate what he would have provided. This year he would have been solid insurance on the boards and five fouls in the post to use. I don’t expect any contributions from Bates so anything he happens to give us is more than a bonus.

Reactions: sheyduke
He wanted to start I guess. You would have to ask him. Maybe he thought Williams was one and done. My guess is we recruited Theo because they knew Coleman was leaving.
I want to start too. I doubt he thought Mark was OAD, and certainly when he committed there was no one expecting that. I agree we most likely knew Coleman was gone when we were courting Theo.

I believe Bates can give us whatever it is that we thought Coleman would contribute as a Sophmore...I think most of us were more intrigued with Coleman Jr/Sr year possibilities
Def wanted him to stick around for those last two years. A kid who had a great head on his shoulders and was praised as being a great leader would have paid huge dividends for us. Roster overhaul and regime change at the top, it would have been nice to have that.

Def wanted him to stick around for those last two years. A kid who had a great head on his shoulders and was praised as being a great leader would have paid huge dividends for us. Roster overhaul and regime change at the top, it would have been nice to have that.
I think we are all looking for that next Amile Jefferson an unsung hero who may get us to that next level To bring home another shiny gold thing

I would be shocked if Bates sees anything that remotely resembles meaningful minutes - but I am still really glad Duke got him and that he is part of the program. He was brought in for other reasons, and I think he will fill his roll perfectly.

agree

Reactions: timo0402
I would be shocked if Bates sees anything that remotely resembles meaningful minutes - but I am still really glad Duke got him and that he is part of the program. He was brought in for other reasons, and I think he will fill his roll perfectly.
Well put

Reactions: sheyduke
Or bad things, like Steward and Hurt lol. But I see what you are saying. If he has a good year he will prob. move on. Hes a borderline 2nd round pick but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Or bad things, like Steward and Hurt lol. But I see what you are saying. If he has a good year he will prob. move on. Hes a borderline 2nd round pick but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.
His freshman year he could have left late first round early second. However, a lot of Moore’s weakness have been shown in his freshman and sophomore year. This being his junior year if he excels he should go . Scouts already have an idea on how he will fare in the league. If he plays more consistent and cleans up his ball handling he should go .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT