ADVERTISEMENT

Bagley reportedly refuses to enter game-

Wow. That.s not good no matter how much you disagree with the coach. He's gone. OFC
The Kings are reportedly trying to deal Bagley. I can understand. Marvin was great at Duke, particularly on offense- but this type behavior can become a distraction or even cancer on a team. Trade would be best for everyone at this point. Hopefully Marv grows up a little and adopts well to a new situation. OFC

Last edited:
Bagley was one of the all time greats coming out of high school. Did very well at Duke although he is somewhat overlooked and the team was a rim-rounder from going to the Final Four (too soon?). But he hasn't made the leap in talent or health that Tatum had and his career hasn't taken off.

You never know whose game is going to expand at the next level like Tatum or Seth Curry and who is just not going to make that jump.

I was never a big fan, but he was a good offensive player. Seemed like a "me" guy.
Just personal opinion watching him play live a couple of times. In game warmups etc. decent effort but the game seemed to come a little easy at times. Low motor. Didn’t take instruction well from the Goat so I could see how he would have trouble with a mere mortal like Luke Walton. Small sample size just my 2 cents

I was never a big fan, but he was a good offensive player. Seemed like a "me" guy.
Agree. Great offensive player. Can’t deny that at all. But almost as bad defensively. With him, Duke won purely on talent.

That was probably the most talented team K has had in years. They just didn’t have the one ingredient to be a champion, chemistry.

Last edited:
It's something that stands out to me with certain players. I don't see it in Keels and Banchero and Moore. They are dialed in on defense and seem like team guys.

Last edited:
In his defense, bagley was being shopped after his rookie season but injuries derailed anything the kings could get for him then last year and the year before he suffered injuries and his work ethnic came into question. Then his family asked for a trade( not a good sign your grown and well hate to say it your family doesn’t matter when it comes to your job). Then this season the kings states he would remain on the bench . Problem is they are asking to much for him and he hasn’t done anything for teams to take a chance on him.

In his defense, bagley was being shopped after his rookie season but injuries derailed anything the kings could get for him then last year and the year before he suffered injuries and his work ethnic came into question. Then his family asked for a trade( not a good sign your grown and well hate to say it your family doesn’t matter when it comes to your job). Then this season the kings states he would remain on the bench . Problem is they are asking to much for him and he hasn’t done anything for teams to take a chance on him.
You know some Duke fans were wondering why Duke did not so interest in his younger brother. Not saying anything to it but if Marvin had some issues at Duke that were not made public maybe the staff decided that having another Bagley with family interferring may not be worth it. If his family sticks their nose in the NBA you know they did it in high school and college although I imangine Coach K paid no attention to it. OFC

I was one of those guys lobbying for Bagley Jr. after we missed on Baldwin. But if he is a I need my 15 shots a game guy, then hard pass. This team with Baldwin would be near unbeatable. Baldwin had 21 and 10 in his first game. We could use one more shooter; hopefully that won't be our downfall.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Yeah im seeing some revisionist history here, i think he played really hard for Duke and the pistons and hornets have both expressed interest in him. I'm not saying saying he's a saint but feels like some mud being slung here.

Bagley was an absolute stud his one year at Duke. Maybe people forget, but he was an unmatched talent.
Yes he was. I guess more info will come. Hopefully he will find his place in the NBA. Some coaches really like well rounded players and if you just can't play defense you may not get the pt you think you should get. The NBA is full of guys that can score. Walton's dad was known for his defense just as much for scoring. I imagine some of that rubbed off on Luke. Just guessing on my part. Then there are coaches that just say put it in the hole as long as you out score the guy you are guarding. OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE
I agree with Marvin’s refusal to go in the game. His agent hasn’t been pleased with that organization (if you can call it that). This has nothing to do with Coach Walton. They’ve been sitting him all season trying to trade him yet wanted him to play in a blowout. They’re doing to him what James Harden did to the Rockets. They need to trade him or have him continue to sit (like they’ve done all season thus far). There is nothing wrong with Bagley’s attitude or character.

Yeah im seeing some revisionist history here, i think he played really hard for Duke and the pistons and hornets have both expressed interest in him. I'm not saying saying he's a saint but feels like some mud being slung here.
He was only at duke for one year so it’s understandable if his character/ effort/ etc is not universally agreed upon. Looks like he’s been dealt a bad hand at the next level but has made the situation worse with his behavior/ attitude. Like all bad experiences it’s a chance for him to learn and grow and I hope that’s what happens here

I agree with Marvin’s refusal to go in the game. His agent hasn’t been pleased with that organization (if you can call it that). This has nothing to do with Coach Walton. They’ve been sitting him all season trying to trade him yet wanted him to play in a blowout. They’re doing to him what James Harden did to the Rockets. They need to trade him or have him continue to sit (like they’ve done all season thus far). There is nothing wrong with Bagley’s attitude or character.

Q you know more about the NBA than anyone on this board that I know of and I give you the benefit of the doubt. I just think for his on integrity and character he should have went on in. Maybe this will get him out of Sac. then. Is harrison barnes still with them? OFC

He has a right to refuse I’m not disputing that at all. From the people I’ve talked to his camp was told that he would sit while trying to find a trade partner much like the John wall situation.
marvins only issue is he’s not on the same level as Ben Simmons so his refusal to play is going to overshadow anything the kings are doing .

Thanks, Quavarius, for your sensible and reasonable response. It's a bad situation. I hope that he has a good agent. I'm lucky to work with an excellent company now, but when I was younger, the ability to say no or an agent negotiating for me would have been wonderful.

Rarely will I take up for anyone who refuses to go in a game but this may be the exception. Despite being healthy seems MB3 was being punished for comments his father and agent have made criticizing the organization. That is just as immature if not more than a player refusing to play. He played 10 minutes in the second game of the year and that’s all they have played him. One game. Now fast forward to game 12 and the Kings are down 22 and want to send him in for mop up time. This tweet goes out before Bagleys refusal…

Jason Anderson@JandersonSacBee
Kings trail the Spurs 71-54 at the half. The Spurs are shooting 55.1% from the field and 57.9% from 3-point range. Kings coach Luke Walton has gone deep into his bench in search of answers, using everybody but Marvin Bagley III. – 9:39 PM

I’m not mad at Marvin at all. Hope he finds a better home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT