ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any potential transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
spike albrecht from michigan...hip problems, but may be on the mend?????

Yep because Allen and Luke were such great PG's that k put the ball in Matt Jones hands before those 2. Smh.

So you're saying it's not possible for a junior and sophomore SG to improve enough to run an offense for a few minutes because they failed when they were freshmen and sophomores? First year getting actual playing time I might add.

So you're saying it's not possible for a junior and sophomore SG to improve enough to run an offense for a few minutes because they failed when they were freshmen and sophomores? First year getting actual playing time I might add.

In this case? Yep. But now you're changing it from starter to "a few minutes". If DT leaves, and no one is added, you're looking at Matt Jones most likely as the starting PG, and/or being the primary handler. Some of you will shift your negativity back to Matt then.

Matt may do it some, but I would imagine if Allen comes back he will work on being a pg a lot. Especially since if helps him as a future NBA guy. Allen is honestly a little small for NBA 2 guards, so if he had some exp as a pg it'd help his stock. Reminds me a little of Steph Curry coming back his last yr to play pg and improving his nva game. Watch Steph the year they go to elite 8, he almost never dribbles, just cuts and shoots...

Reactions: pisgah101
Steph's backcourt mate in 2008, Jason Richards, led the nation in assists that year. But yes, I think giving Grayson more opportunities to run the point could be extremely beneficial.

Reactions: harttochesson
Yep because Allen and Luke were such great PG's that k put the ball in Matt Jones hands before those 2. Smh.

If I'm K, to start a season, I'm not handing the keys over to a freshman shooting guard and a sophomore who averaged 9 minutes a game over a junior who knows the O either. SMH. Notice the underline, cause you obviously saw what happened as the year progressed. G and Luke had the ball. End of story.

Frank Jackson will be a great PG. He will be way better than DT. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. Derryck took terrible shots, forced to many layups against bigs who were just waiting for him and most of all , he just doesn't have an eye for lead passes that set players up to score. Not saying I don't like DT, seems like a great kid. I still stand by what i've said all season, Jackson ends up filling the PG position sharing time with Grayson who will be back. Those two combined with Tatum , Giles, Jefferson.....Holy Mackeral.

Frank Jackson will be a great PG. He will be way better than DT. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. Derryck took terrible shots, forced to many layups against bigs who were just waiting for him and most of all , he just doesn't have an eye for lead passes that set players up to score. Not saying I don't like DT, seems like a great kid. I still stand by what i've said all season, Jackson ends up filling the PG position sharing time with Grayson who will be back. Those two combined with Tatum , Giles, Jefferson.....Holy Mackeral.

By year's end I agree that Frank will handle on-ball duties. The key to his development, something Derryck wasn't afforded, will be simplicity. Keep Frank's job simple and give him time to adjust to the speed of college ball. By conference play he should be acclimated enough to help take some PG responsibility. But be ready for a lot of Coach K quotes regarding the versatility and position-less style of this team. He's already saying it to the brain trust.

Reactions: Showenuff
A freshman Frank will not be WAY better than a freshman or sophomore DT. There is a lot more to basketball than mixtapes on YouTube.

Wow ignored this thread because I USUALLY don't care about transfers but geez..... really disappointed to hear this. I was very excited about DT coming to Duke and just thrilled to get such a defensive stall-worth. Can't believe this is such a legitimate thing. Maybe he didn't get along with the other guys that well. I just can't imagine what else K could do to give a freshman some real Experience and utilization.

Wasn't it Kris Humphries that also had a dad that was an issue? We manged to avoid that one but...

Well, if Grayson comes back, that will be big help. He brought the ball up a lot and led the team in assist. Either way, we'll be fine.

Question: did we stop recruiting Dennis Smith because Thornton came up a year early or was it something else? I thought we were the leader for him at one point and then backed off once we had to change gears with Tyus leaving. Can anyone clarify that?

I wanted Smith.. I remember when we were recruiting both I was deff in his corner. He'll be a lot more of a dynamic player than DT will ever be..

As for next year Grayson will run point till Frank is fully ready(which won't take too long) with both of them on the court we are way more dangerous and will have 5 scoring options on the floor at all times.

Also this is all still hypothetical correct no transfer is complete right?

I wanted Smith.. I remember when we were recruiting both I was deff in his corner. He'll be a lot more of a dynamic player than DT will ever be..

As for next year Grayson will run point till Frank is fully ready(which won't take too long) with both of them on the court we are way more dangerous and will have 5 scoring options on the floor at all times.

Also this is all still hypothetical correct no transfer is complete right?

Smith was an issue for other reasons. It wasn't Derryck over Smith.

Maybe it's just me getting old, but at what age do you tell your parents to take a back seat? I mean, does his parents go to class with him too and question his professors? Seems very immature if this whole thing with his dad is true. Can just imagine a parent lecturing a student's Physics teacher about how they teach the class... I can't stand how these types of parents sabotage their kid's ability to learn from failure. I say failure in a very general way because I don't think he was a failure. I think he has an opportunity to learn from a lot of the mistakes he made at times this year...

Reactions: JCColsCane
Maybe it's just me getting old, but at what age do you tell your parents to take a back seat? I mean, does his parents go to class with him too and question his professors? Seems very immature if this whole thing with his dad is true. Can just imagine a parent lecturing a student's Physics teacher about how they teach the class... I can't stand how these types of parents sabotage their kid's ability to learn from failure. I say failure in a very general way because I don't think he was a failure. I think he has an opportunity to learn from a lot of the mistakes he made at times this year...

While I will never blame a parent for looking out for their kids' well being, I agree at some point you have to trust those who've done it successfully for a long time.

BUT

This isn't just about the parents.

Reactions: vcugreg
While I will never blame a parent for looking out for their kids' well being, I agree at some point you have to trust those who've done it successfully for a long time.

BUT

This isn't just about the parents.

Dang. Well if it isn't just the parents, then perhaps the best thing for both parties is to make a mutual split. It's just not worth the headache down the road. Any idea where he wants to go? Louisville? **I say this knowing he is still a Duke player. Simply hypothetical.

Parents are looking to cash in too. Think about it, from a rankings standpoint Thornton looked like a potential NBA player. As unbiased fans we now know that's probably not going to happen, but his parents definitely could still see "cha ching". When your kid makes it, so do you.

I'm sure Nolan will have a talk with DT as he is classic example of how much a player can improve at Duke. Nolan was terrible his frosh/soph year & became dominating player his junior/senior year.

Reactions: dbav and vcugreg
I'm sure Nolan will have a talk with DT as he is classic example of how much a player can improve at Duke. Nolan was terrible his frosh/soph year & became dominating player his junior/senior year.

He can probably talk to him about the frustrations of new recruits as Nolan went through sharing with Kyrie. Hopefully, he will tell Derryk that competition breeds success.

It sounds like from what's been said by people on this board, usually in the know, it might be too late to convince him to stay. Hope to be wrong and I really want him to stay, but if the decision is already made, then best of luck to him. One player will never define a program, especially this one. The sun will rise again and bring a new day.

He can probably talk to him about the frustrations of new recruits as Nolan went through sharing with Kyrie. Hopefully, he will tell Derryk that competition breeds success.
I attended practice in fall 2008 and Paulus/Nolan went full bore during scrimmages, competition is a good thing.

It seemed to me that DT spent the whole year struggling to keep up.

That's something that happens to a lot of frosh. Especially not surprising for someone who reclassified.

But that's not to say he didn't improve. As the team and the competition got better, so did he. He just never got ahead of the curve.

On a team with better depth at point, that wouldn't have been a big deal. But on a team that couldn't afford any letdown at any position, that's a lot of pressure. And it showed.

Odds are he'll have a fine soph year. He'll be better. The pressure will be less. He'll have better backup. There will be this awesome front court to deliver the ball to.

Someone needs to help him realize how much more fun he'll have next season if he sticks around.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
I wish I could have seen that. People often make fun of Paulus, but he was one tough SOB. I bet that was fun to watch!
It was amazing to see intense competition then right back to being good teammates when another drill paired them together. Those weekend long practice clinics in Cameron were better than watching games, learned so much about the inner workings of the program. Attended those sessions for years but NCAA put kibosh on it.

It seemed to me that DT spent the whole year struggling to keep up.

That's something that happens to a lot of frosh. Especially not surprising for someone who reclassified.

But that's not to say he didn't improve. As the team and the competition got better, so did he. He just never got ahead of the curve.

On a team with better depth at point, that wouldn't have been a big deal. But on a team that couldn't afford any letdown at any position, that's a lot of pressure. And it showed.

Odds are he'll have a fine soph year. He'll be better. The pressure will be less. He'll have better backup. There will be this awesome front court to deliver the ball to.

Someone needs to help him realize how much more fun he'll have next season if he sticks around.
Spot on analysis. Struggling isn't something these guys are not used to, hope DT sticks it out.

Who transfers from a probable national championship team?
That's the thing, in this day and age the only thing that matters to most kids is "what's in it for me".
I am a high school football coach and I see it when they get out of junior high and come in as Freshman and I think many of these traits are learned at home.

It was amazing to see intense competition then right back to being good teammates when another drill paired them together. Those weekend long practice clinics in Cameron were better than watching games, learned so much about the inner workings of the program. Attended those sessions for years but NCAA put kibosh on it.
Paulus was a good player. One of the better ACC PGs until he was pushed aside by Scheyer and Smith. And even coming off the bench as a senior, he took it like a man and played hard.

People forget that as a junior he was a Pomeroy Top-500 player in 7 categories. And these were serious categories like 3-pt shooting, assists, eFG%, ORtg and more.

He lacked Scheyer's size and Smith's quickness and, yes, he was posterized by UNC's Green. But he was a solid player who deserves respect.

If I'm K, to start a season, I'm not handing the keys over to a freshman shooting guard and a sophomore who averaged 9 minutes a game over a junior who knows the O either. SMH. Notice the underline, cause you obviously saw what happened as the year progressed. G and Luke had the ball. End of story.

Luke had the ball? Lol what were you watching? When Derryck wasn't in, Matt or Ingram brought the ball up a majority of the time.

Last edited:

So a kid who is uber/athletic, but plays against weak competition during the season, will be WAY better because he had awesome mix tapes? Wow.

I just don't see the point of bashing a kid who may or may not be on his way out without knowing any of the pertinent information...Some posters on this board, I won't name names, make a habit of bashing players if they don't live up to unrealistically high bar set by previous players...Hell, those posters, even bash a certain player that played an important role in winning a championship for us last year....I have said it before and I will say it again, there is a huge transition between the high school and college game...As such, it is reasonable to expect struggles along the way and a natural progression each and every year....We look at youtube and other media forums and watch non-stop highlights about an incoming player and envision that player going for 30 points 10 rebounds and 10 assists per night without turning the ball over a single time and criticize said player if they don't live up to those expectations....Damnit each of these kids chose Duke and put their faith in a program that we hold near and dear to our heart....I will be damned if I am going to demean them as players or as individuals when I have almost zero relevant information to do so....Here are the facts, we aren't in practices, we aren't in huddles, we aren't in classrooms and we aren't around campus....There are far too many reasons why a college athlete could seek to move on from a certain situation....We most certainly will never know the real reasons why DT chose to move on if he in fact chooses to do so....Rather than tearing him down I would much rather thank him for giving our program a shot and wish him well going forward....I won't be helping him to the door and I won't be slamming it if he walks out....There are far too many players in our program's history who had substantial struggles at one point in their time at Duke but who went on to do great things for our program for me to criticize anyone, especially a freshman....Good grief can we please show some loyalty and respect

I just don't see the point of bashing a kid who may or may not be on his way out without knowing any of the pertinent information...Some posters on this board, I won't name names, make a habit of bashing players if they don't live up to unrealistically high bar set by previous players...Hell, those posters, even bash a certain player that played an important role in winning a championship for us last year....I have said it before and I will say it again, there is a huge transition between the high school and college game...As such, it is reasonable to expect struggles along the way and a natural progression each and every year....We look at youtube and other media forums and watch non-stop highlights about an incoming player and envision that player going for 30 points 10 rebounds and 10 assists per night without turning the ball over a single time and criticize said player if they don't live up to those expectations....Damnit each of these kids chose Duke and put their faith in a program that we hold near and dear to our heart....I will be damned if I am going to demean them as players or as individuals when I have almost zero relevant information to do so....Here are the facts, we aren't in practices, we aren't in huddles, we aren't in classrooms and we aren't around campus....There are far too many reasons why a college athlete could seek to move on from a certain situation....We most certainly will never know the real reasons why DT chose to move on if he in fact chooses to do so....Rather than tearing him down I would much rather thank him for giving our program a shot and wish him well going forward....I won't be helping him to the door and I won't be slamming it if he walks out....There are far too many players in our program's history who had substantial struggles at one point in their time at Duke but who went on to do great things for our program for me to criticize anyone, especially a freshman....Good grief can we please show some loyalty and respect

It's unreasonable to expect a top level pg to not dribble off his foot or hit a layup or three?

Crank. I was told to lay off of you by the mods. I've done that since. Every view I post you have a smart ass comment with a WOW afterwards. Try not to forget I have an opinion just like you do. I think Frank is going to be great and I'm tired of you clowns saying Im basing views from a mixtape. I've been watching his GAMES, not a damn mixtape. He's going to be a great player and yes, better than DT. It's my opinion.

And just to right the ship, you keep poking at dukehokie as well, he forgot more about Duke Basketball than you'll ever know.

Reactions: dukehokie
It's unreasonable to expect a top level pg to not dribble off his foot or hit a layup or three?

DT struggled at certain points throughout the year....He struggled with his shot, he struggled with his confidence and he struggled with his transition...There were also moments of brilliance early in the year against Kentucky and VCU and then again against Georgia Tech just to name a few...Why be so quick and judgmental to point out the struggles of a freshman point guard? Do you get some sense of satisfaction criticizing an 18 year old based solely on how he was ranked coming into college?

As you were quick to point out specific moments of struggle I take it you have already forgotten about this specific moment? I am not entirely sure but I think games like these are pretty important each and every year....

Last edited:

So a kid who is uber/athletic, but plays against weak competition during the season, will be WAY better because he had awesome mix tapes? Wow.

I really was trying dj.

If you think DT was not worthy of playing time going forward I have no problem with people saying that others may be a better fit.....But to bash a kid who may be on his way out the door without knowing any of the reasons why is an act of disloyalty, disrespect and makes us sound pretentious and arrogant....As long as DT remains a member of this team I will root for him to get better as a player each and every day.....If there comes a time when he chooses to leave I will respect his decision and wish him well going forward....I do so because I think loyalty respect and honor is what Duke basketball stands for....We offered DT an opportunity to join our program and he graciously accepted, having to give up a final year of prep ball in doing so....I respect that...If it doesn't work out going forward so be it, but I appreciate him being there for us in our time of need and I will support whatever decision he makes.

Crank. I was told to lay off of you by the mods. I've done that since. Every view I post you have a smart ass comment with a WOW afterwards. Try not to forget I have an opinion just like you do. I think Frank is going to be great and I'm tired of you clowns saying Im basing views from a mixtape. I've been watching his GAMES, not a damn mixtape. He's going to be a great player and yes, better than DT. It's my opinion.

So now I can't disagree with you? Grow up man, seriously. You have no clue about Frank outside of mix tapes/videos. He's a special kid no doubt, but to say he will be "way" better AT PG with little to back it up? I'm asking a serious question - what is the basis of your opinion? Video clips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT