ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any potential transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about the parents. Let's not bash Derryck because he's a kid Doug what he feels he needs to do with his life AND for right now, he still plays for Duke.

But it's not just about the parents and the real issues may never be publicized. And shouldn't IMO, because they aren't worth it.

why waste a sitting out....he is the main guard on a great team for next year..,,any pg 5th year guys?

I liked Thornton, yea he made some mistakes but I guess I gave him more slack coming in a year early and just appreciated having him on the team. Hope he stays, I feel he would make a huge stride next season.

Well it's upsetting. We are a ball handler short if this plays out. Scheyer needs to apply for a fifth year.

Reactions: dbav
jay williams just said that frank jackson has become one of the best pgs since last summer...??????

Reactions: pisgah101
I totally agree i hope he stays- it was easy to be hard on him because he was taking over after Tyus, but I definitely wasn't expecting him to take off early. I hope he sticks around, but if he doesn't want to be on the team then i guess he needs to do what's best for him. Just think we really don't have a true PG without him on the team next season, and he's got some tools to be really good. IMO might be one of the first transfers to leave the duke program that will really make an impact elsewhere.

Man Coach K sit down with this kid and his family and work it out. If he transfers he has to sit out a year and we miss out on having a PG next year.

Reactions: JCColsCane
I totally agree i hope he stays- it was easy to be hard on him because he was taking over after Tyus, but I definitely wasn't expecting him to take off early. I hope he sticks around, but if he doesn't want to be on the team then i guess he needs to do what's best for him. Just think we really don't have a true PG without him on the team next season, and he's got some tools to be really good. IMO might be one of the first transfers to leave the duke program that will really make an impact elsewhere.
Gbinje has done pretty well for himself at Syracuse

Reactions: adm015
Yeah he's really the only other transfer that comes to mind that has made a really significant impact elsewhere.

Is that the same Jay Williams who called Greg Paulus the "new age Bob Cousy"?

I remember that, but he was quoting Howard Garfinkel who hasn't been right about a player since the Nixon administration and he was old then.

But maybe there's some truth to it. A PG who good dribble, kinda pass and couldn't really shoot. Sounds like Bob haha (I'm obviously joking before I get destroyed).

Yeah he's really the only other transfer that comes to mind that has made a really significant impact elsewhere.

Czyz played well but obviously didn't have the same impact. I'm with you, maybe Jim Sumner has some insight, but I can't think of too many Duke transfers who wen to other schools and became a team leader like Mike. Other guys have played well, but not had the impact Gbinije did.

he was to the comp that he played in highschool against...i liked paulus and all his limitations...he hit some big threes
He'll just never live down the fact that Tywon Lawson could drive by him anytime he wanted. The fact that Lawson ended up at UNC killed Duke for those three years

i was not a fan of DT was used. but i see why K utilized him in the way he did. i think the kid has got great skills and his scoring should improve. hope he stays.

Grayson and Luke aren't PG's, no matter how hard they try.

Maybe not today, but they both have attributes to be good PG's in college IMO. We all said the same thing about Scheyer too. In the world of position-less basketball, the days of the "true PG" are numbered.

A team like the 2015 squad begs for a point guard because there are defined positions. Next year's squad will not be built the same way. Remember when Jayson Tatum was a point guard? Lots of versatility much like 2010.

Besides, Grayson and Luke know the playbook better than anyone else. Why can't they set the team up and get the ball in scoring spots?

Czyz played well but obviously didn't have the same impact. I'm with you, maybe Jim Sumner has some insight, but I can't think of too many Duke transfers who wen to other schools and became a team leader like Mike. Other guys have played well, but not had the impact Gbinije did.

Billy McCaffery was really good at Vanderbilt. In fact, he might have even shared SEC POY with Mashburn in 1993. In his two seasons at Vandy he also averaged around 20 per game, and the Commodores were really good too.

Billy McCaffery was really good at Vanderbilt. In fact, he might have even shared SEC POY with Mashburn in 1993. In his two seasons at Vandy he also averaged around 20 per game, and the Commodores were really good too.

I knew I was forgetting someone from the 91 team. I was thinking about either McCaffery or Palmer.

I really like Thornton, and really enjoyed watching him develop this year. Would be a shame if he left. I hope he stays and runs a National Championship team.

Reactions: Tlass and skysdad
This is a tough blow is DT is gone. His situation comes off to me much like Cook's when he was a freshman/sophomore. I was sometimes over critical of him through out the season but I felt like he would make a big jump heading into next year. However, all season I had this hunch that he just didn't fit in or seem nearly as tight with some of the guys and that he was 100% happy. Who knows if that's true, as I'm totally speculating but I will say I'm not totally surprised to see the transfer rumors.

Read on another board that his dad is pushing for this...is mad at K and feels like he lied about how he would use DT.

In a nutshell mad he took the ball out of his sons hands and ran to much iso for Allen and Ingram...and then K apparently told him to shoot less and pass more and that was it.

Said he's gone it's just about a done deal and his dad is letting everyone know K didn't keep his word to use him like Tyus...Apparently his dad isn't being shy about letting people know.

Just passing it along...FWIW....

Read on another board that his dad is pushing for this...is mad at K and feels like he lied about how he would use DT.

In a nutshell mad he took the ball out of his sons hands and ran to much iso for Allen and Ingram...and then K apparently told him to shoot less and pass more and that was it.

Said he's gone it's just about a done deal and his dad is letting everyone know K didn't keep his word to use him like Tyus...Apparently his dad isn't being shy about letting people know.

DT didn't perform on the offensive end in any way shape or form, simple as that. He was given too many chances imho to run the team and just isn't good enough. I have no info but if what you say is true, help him out the door.

I wonder if Thorton's dad reads this board. If he does I'd be pissed . I really hope he stays. Maybe he thinks with Jackson coming in it's going to be hard to get 30 minutes a game. Like I said I hope he stays but if what K-oach Q is true it may be best for all. We've had daddy issues before and don't need any more. OFC

Reactions: Tlass and dbav
DT didn't perform on the offensive end in any way shape or form, simple as that. He was given too many chances imho to run the team and just isn't good enough. I have no info but if what you say is true, help him out the door.

If it's true....

Then yeah I kinda feel the same way...you deal with this kind of stuff all the time with parents as coaches. It's a case of a father being blinded by their love for their child.

Nobody that watched DT play this year could possibly of thought giving him the ball more and shooting more where in the best interest of this years team.

I have no doubts he will and can improve....but to be a PG and leave K's system with his history of development of PG is idiotic in my opinion.

It would be one thing for the family to want to discuss the situation and improve upon it...but to push a transfer...then I would agree...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If it's true....

Message boards, especially other teams, are very unreliable. I'll take it with a grain of salt. However, if true, it's quite sad. DT was given as many chances as possible to perform at PG and to earn extra shots. He never put together a reliable jump shot and quite honestly had trouble handling the ball. The only reason K ended up running so much iso with Ingram and Grayson was due to the lack of other players being able to score. For all I care his dad can tell the world whatever he likes. If I were K, I'd hold up my hand full of rings with the biggest ring on the middle finger. After that, and it sounds like his Dad is telling people to hurt recruiting, I'd tell the next kid to give Kyrie, Jah or any other first round pick a phone call and ask how they feel about being coached by K.

Maturity is a hard thing to gain, sometimes even in parents.

Reactions: Baller224
I wonder if Thorton's dad reads this board. If he does I'd be pissed . I really hope he stays. Maybe he thinks with Jackson coming in it's going to be hard to get 30 minutes a game. Like I said I hope he stays but if what K-oach Q is true it may be best for all. We've had daddy issues before and don't need any more. OFC
Totally agree...but like I said I read it on another board from a poster that says DT dad is being pretty vocal about this situation out west.

He says this could be an ugly split...

I hope not...I think the kid has potential to be great one day. But if his answer is to move on instead of work hard to improve then I won't miss him.

Makes you respect the hell out of guys like Nolan and Quinn who had issues and worked really hard to improve..instead of bolting for what seemed easiest at that time.

I don't have any qualms about how K utilized DT this season. DT wasn't ready for prime time and wasn't an effective scorer at the D1 level. Had some incredible tools, but was dribbling off his own foot in the sweet 16 for crying out loud.

DT could be a solid duke pg, but he's no tyus. IMO k will just put the ball in his best players hands and have them create. If they don't make plays, he won't put them in such positions. I really hope DT isn't transferring bc he could be the PG of a title contender if he works at it. But if his dad and him want to go elsewhere- good riddance. I think k relied a bit too heavily on Ingram and Allen Iso at times, but I don't think he mishandled Thornton imo

Question: did we stop recruiting Dennis Smith because Thornton came up a year early or was it something else? I thought we were the leader for him at one point and then backed off once we had to change gears with Tyus leaving. Can anyone clarify that?

Question: did we stop recruiting Dennis Smith because Thornton came up a year early or was it something else? I thought we were the leader for him at one point and then backed off once we had to change gears with Tyus leaving. Can anyone clarify that?

Duke was actively recruiting both players. Krzyzewski tried and failed to convince Smith that he and Thornton could play together using Cook and Jones as an example of how they would be used. But in the end, Smith decided he wanted the ball in his hands and Duke decided to make Thornton the priority. Especially seeing how he could come a year earlier.

I am certain that Smith's decision to go to State was influenced by the belief that Bam would follow suit, that didn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT