ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Griffin

If he transfers to Duke...unreal! The kid plays with an edge. A pure dog on defense and aggressive when attacking the rim.

I see that he was a sophomore this season, so I’m guessing that means that he’ll have to sit out next season and he’ll have 2 years of eligibility left?

He averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds in the Missouri valley conference. I really don’t see him joining the ACC and being a big difference maker. But I’m not a coach or scout. If our staff wants him, I’m sure they know something......a lot of things that I don’t

He averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds in the Missouri valley conference. I really don’t see him joining the ACC and being a big difference maker. But I’m not a coach or scout. If our staff wants him, I’m sure they know something......a lot of things that I don’t

umm well they definitely know that he played in the Big Ten for Illinois so that's something. And they know that he averaged that 8 points and 4 rebounds in only 18 minutes per game on 41% 3 point shooting.

umm well they definitely know that he played in the Big Ten for Illinois so that's something. And they know that he averaged that 8 points and 4 rebounds in only 18 minutes per game.

Same comment as I had for Tape. I’m pulling for him but I wouldn’t expect a whole lot. If he comes here, I hope he makes me look like an idiot, we’ll see

umm well they definitely know that he played in the Big Ten for Illinois so that's something. And they know that he averaged that 8 points and 4 rebounds in only 18 minutes per game on 41% 3 point shooting.

I thought he played at Illinois state, no Illinois. Not sure how I mixed that up

Can easily see a lot of roster happenings by 2021-2022.
JGold- graduates
Tape'- completes eligibility
Johnson- goes to NBA

Same comment as I had for Tape. I’m pulling for him but I wouldn’t expect a whole lot. If he comes here, I hope he makes me look like an idiot, we’ll see
I think it’s worth noting that Griffin only averaged 18 minutes a game. 8 and 4 is pretty good for only playing 18 minutes a game. Some other positives are that he shot 42% from deep this year as well as shooting 86% from the stripe. If this kid takes a year off and works on his game against our roster next year and comes back for a junior and senior year he has a chance to be really good. I hope we go for him.

I think it’s worth noting that Griffin only averaged 18 minutes a game. 8 and 4 is pretty good for only playing 18 minutes a game. Some other positives are that he shot 42% from deep this year as well as shooting 86% from the stripe. If this kid takes a year off and works on his game against our roster next year and comes back for a junior and senior year he has a chance to be really good. I hope we go for him.
I live in Illinois and believe me, this is a huge loss for the Illini. The kid can score and like someone else mentioned is a great defender. He would help us immediately in 2021. Please come to Duke

Doubt we take him. We won’t have many spots. Next year I only see us losing Goldwire, Johnson, Tape, Hurt/Moore. That’s 4 scholarships. We are top contenders for 4 elite prospects.

The kid is 6'5, will be an older junior when he plays, experienced, and a team player.

Experience on the wing is a necessity to win a SHIP. He's a go - getter. When you look at our coaching staff, each of those guys were solid role players. Alan Grif fits that mentality.

The kid is 6'5, will be an older junior when he plays, experienced, and a team player.

Experience on the wing is a necessity to win a SHIP. He's a go - getter. When you look at our coaching staff, each of those guys were solid role players. Alan Grif fits that mentality.
Well irk about the role player thing about the coaching staff. They all ended as star players. Carrawell was ACC POTY

Reactions: jamsession3

Those role players you're talking about combined to score 5,443 career points. Scheyer is still one of only 10 Duke players to score more than 2,000 career points, while Nolan is one of 18 to eclipse 1,900. In addition, the low scorer of the group at 1,455 was an ACC Player of the Year.

I'd take three more role players just like those guys tomorrow.

Those role players you're talking about combined to score 5,443 career points. Scheyer is still one of only 10 Duke players to score more than 2,000 career points, while Nolan is one of 18 to eclipse 1,900. In addition, the low scorer of the group at 1,455 was an ACC Player of the Year.

I'd take three more role players just like those guys tomorrow.

Alan Griffin may be that player?

We are top contenders for 4 elite prospects.
We have to have role players to surround elite prospects.. and I’m sure more than just 1 of our incoming Freshmen will enter the draft after next season.. I don’t see any way we keep 5 top 50 recruits for their sophomore year.. that would be amazing if we could though - just doesn’t seem realistic with how College Basketball has been lately.

We have to have role players to surround elite prospects.. and I’m sure more than just 1 of our incoming Freshmen will enter the draft after next season.. I don’t see any way we keep 5 top 50 recruits for their sophomore year.. that would be amazing if we could though - just doesn’t seem realistic with how College Basketball has been lately.

At minimum 2 of our freshmen will go into the draft.

He's a little more than a role player then, right?

No one knew Chris would be POY, Jon/Nolan would be main contributors to a NT, or Nate redshirt and go on to be glue guy for a NT.

What we all saw was 4 players improve every year at the highest level.

Reactions: skysdad
Scheyer and Smith were McDonald's AA's. They were stars in college, not role players. Unless everyone is just a role player. Jon was pretty damn good from the start. Nolan developed more like players did back then, and became a star his last two years. I wouldn't call anyone a role player just because they didn't put up OAD numbers as a freshman.

Scheyer and Smith were McDonald's AA's. They were stars in college, not role players. Unless everyone is just a role player. Jon was pretty damn good from the start. Nolan developed more like players did back then, and became a star his last two years. I wouldn't call anyone a role player just because they didn't put up OAD numbers as a freshman.

We have to be very cautious to not say someone is a great player because we know how the story ends. Jon was a 'consistent player' for all three years and had a breakout season in year 4. Nolan progressed every year.

Just because you are a Micky D AA does not mean you will be a OAN, Superstar or consistent player. Like I said, Jon, Nate, Chris, and Nate got better every year.

We do not know how Alan Griffin story will end, what we know he is getting better every year, and if he came to Duke his role will be appreciated.

Doubt we take him. We won’t have many spots. Next year I only see us losing Goldwire, Johnson, Tape, Hurt/Moore. That’s 4 scholarships. We are top contenders for 4 elite prospects.
Never know what any of these other guys are going to do. Steward? Roach? I think they could all go. Especially if Duke has a great year.

I like to think of myself as the greatest role player in the history of this board. I'm not an All-American, not even All-ACC, but I'll give you 8 points, 5 assists, and 3 steals with every post. Just saying. :)

Reactions: dukedevilz
Who is a star then, other than one and done players?

That's the Billion Dollar question in sports. And, I'm being honest in saying that. Who is a star? And what's wrong with being a (called) role player? It does not diminish your achievements or production.

Alan Griffin averaged close to 9 ppg while shooting 41.6% from three for a team that was nationally ranked. Rodney Hood averaged 10.3 ppg and shot 36% from three for an NIT Miss. State team in 2012. Not saying Griffin is going to be a star of that magnitude, but don't underestimate how much players can improve in 18 months. Not only would I take the kid, but I'd be willing bet he would start from day one.

Alan Griffin averaged close to 9 ppg while shooting 41.6% from three for a team that was nationally ranked. Rodney Hood averaged 10.3 ppg and shot 36% from three for an NIT Miss. State team in 2012. Not saying Griffin is going to be a star of that magnitude, but don't underestimate how much players can improve in 18 months. Not only would I take the kid, but I'd be willing bet he would start from day one.
While only playing 18 minutes a game

Reactions: dukedevilz
That's the Billion Dollar question in sports. And, I'm being honest in saying that. Who is a star? And what's wrong with being a (called) role player? It does not diminish your achievements or production.
Of all things, this is the billion dollar question? Certainly nothing wrong with being a role player.

Anyway, I think adding Griffin would be great. There are a lot of great players we are recruiting, so the staff will if have to make sure it makes sense to add him to the group. If so, I like it a lot.

and prior history has shown whenever Duke recruits siblings at least one of the siblings (Jones Family) if not all of them (Plumlees) win a National Championship. Hopefully, The Griffins follows suit.

Rodney is a REALLY good comparison I hadn’t immediately thought about for Griffin but it’s a really good one. Being from Illinois I watched more than enough games to tell you guys he would be a Great get...especially for 2 years. His game has never been in question-can kid really fill it up from 3-shot 42% from downtown and he’s money from the line....31-36 at 86%. Sample size but the kid deserved more time at only 18 per night. Here’s the kicker....he has some maturing to do-he’s a sophomore but still only 19. He’s tough/plays hard/and plays with a lot of emotion-think Grayson....so he can become hot headed for a split second in games and do something silly. He had a suspension mid way through the year for intentionally stepping on someone, and had his fair share of Ts for a college kid. With that said, what better program to mature, learn the game under the GOAT, improve your skills daily against some of the best in practice...then come the following season ready to show your little bro the ropes and you both ready to BALL OUT!!

For what it’s worth saw on AJs IG live today and it was him and Alan playing backyard ball together just messing around...they seem super close. Time will tell but I’d LOVE for them to add Alan to the brotherhood!

Here’s a little mix of him for those unfamiliar with his game. Kid only had a few games all this season where he didn’t hit a 3 in a game...and he rebounds well and can play defense too. K go get him!

Last edited:
Rodney is a REALLY good comparison I hadn’t immediately thought about for Griffin but it’s a really good one. Being from Illinois I watched more than enough games to tell you guys he would be a Great get...especially for 2 years. His game has never been in question-can kid really fill it up from 3-shot 42% from downtown and he’s money from the line....31-36 at 86%. Sample size but the kid deserved more time at only 18 per night. Here’s the kicker....he has some maturing to do-he’s a sophomore but still only 19. He’s tough/plays hard/and plays with a lot of emotion-think Grayson....so he can become hot headed for a split second in games and do something silly. He had a suspension mid way through the year for intentionally stepping on someone, and had his fair share of Ts for a college kid. With that said, what better program to mature, learn the game under the GOAT, improve your skills daily against some of the best in practice...then come the following season ready to show your little bro the ropes and you both ready to BALL OUT!!

For what it’s worth saw on AJs IG live today and it was him and Alan playing backyard ball together just messing around...they seem super close. Time will tell but I’d LOVE for them to add Alan to the brotherhood!

Here’s a little mix of him for those unfamiliar with his game. Kid only had a few games all this season where he didn’t hit a 3 in a game...and he rebounds well and can play defense too. K go get him!

Yeah bring him on in please

Looks like he would be a great get.

Think our definition of role player greatly varies. To me, a role player who starts would be a Lance, Zoubek, Koubek. Guys like Amile and Nolan started slow, but were needed despite maybe not being ready for the role they had to play. But, they finished as studs their last 2 years. Not role players. Scheyer earned minutes early on and was a huge contributor at least his last 2 years. Not a role player.

Reactions: timritterus
Out of l curiosity I was just wondering if a player transfers to a new school does he take up a scholarship spot the year he sits out?

If he transfers to Duke...unreal! The kid plays with an edge. A pure dog on defense and aggressive when attacking the rim.
Illinois fan here. The last sentence is completely inaccurate as far as a description for Alan Griffin goes. He was primarily a catch and shoot guy who couldn't dribble, but he was slowly putting it together on offense. His defense wasn't good which is why he was getting pulled late in games.

Now, I know you're thinking I'm here to trash him. I'm not. He's going to have a chance to play in the league if he can learn to dribble and play defense. He's an elite rebounder for a guy at his size and position, and his 3 point stroke is smooth. He does play with an edge, but he's immature and does some stupid things that will get him pulled from games/suspended. I imagine he'll figure out how to toe that line as he matures. He struggles with the mental side of things on and off the court. He was barely eligible his entire time at Illinois, so much so that the staff brought in a transfer last year because they assumed they'd lose him to grades.

Overall, good player that should be able to contribute, but he has a mom that thinks he's his brother; that's why he's in the portal.

Illinois fan here. The last sentence is completely inaccurate as far as a description for Alan Griffin goes. He was primarily a catch and shoot guy who couldn't dribble, but he was slowly putting it together on offense. His defense wasn't good which is why he was getting pulled late in games.

Now, I know you're thinking I'm here to trash him. I'm not. He's going to have a chance to play in the league if he can learn to dribble and play defense. He's an elite rebounder for a guy at his size and position, and his 3 point stroke is smooth. He does play with an edge, but he's immature and does some stupid things that will get him pulled from games/suspended. I imagine he'll figure out how to toe that line as he matures. He struggles with the mental side of things on and off the court. He was barely eligible his entire time at Illinois, so much so that the staff brought in a transfer last year because they assumed they'd lose him to grades.

Overall, good player that should be able to contribute, but he has a mom that thinks he's his brother; that's why he's in the portal.

I will not debate the parents, immaturity and rebounding. The grades was a conversation but once he suited up many thought that was resolved (unlike Tevian Jones who just transferred). The redshirt year to sit - out will help the young man wherever he goes.

I will not debate the parents, immaturity and rebounding. The grades was a conversation but once he suited up many thought that was resolved (unlike Tevian Jones who just transferred). The redshirt year to sit - out will help the young man wherever he goes.
Doubt there's a redshirt year, but he's definitely worth any risk their might be. If he shores up his defense, he will have a shot at the league. We were excited about his potential.

To give you an idea about the mom, Griffin Sr. was on the radio the day prior to the announcement, and he had no idea. He talked him out of transferring last season in spite of his mom's efforts, but the quarantine won this year. :)

Looking at his potential schools... one is not like the others. Feel like he is naming Duke to help hype up his transfer while his brother has ties to us. I don't see how or why we would create room for him. Next!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT