ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Griffin injury?

Was he injured last year as well? That history combined with our history makes it a concern, and the more time he misses the more it will put him behind. Luckily Keels is playing well, but our depth is limited this year. I just heard it's a sprain, and he will likely be out 4-6 weeks. Hope he recovers well.

Last edited:
Was he injured last year as well? That history combined with our history makes it a concern, and the more time he misses the more it will put him behind. Luckily Keels is playing well, but our depth is limited this year.
Yes I believe so. Just saw they are saying 4-6 weeks. Ugh

Reactions: christophero
Yes I just read that on DBR. Guess he will miss Kentucky. If it's 4 weeks maybe not. I'm hearing sprained knee and dislocated knee. The second doesn't sound good, but I'm no doctor. There is an article in The Chronicle. Blakes's minutes just went up as our only backcourt reserve. Baker too as a wing. Those of us screaming for more depth a few months back, this is what we were talking about. We always have injuries. I wish AJ a speedy recovery and hope it is not serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Yes I just read that

Yes I just read that on DBR. Guess he will miss Kentucky. If it's 4 weeks maybe not.
Yup...
I'm hearing dislocation, which is worse than a sprain. Ugh.
I've heard both lol. Duke update on Twitter said K said it was a sprain and everything I've read thats a 2-4 week injury. Dislocation is 4-6 weeks. I dont think anyone knows for sure, but I sure am glad it's rather "minor" and not season ending.

I was hearing AJ was banged up even before this, so not encouraging. The young man must be crushed. There is also his future to think of, so he will be brought back slowly. This may put Bates Jones in the rotation, esp. if someone else goes down, which is not out of the question. Baker has a chance to shine.

Last edited:
Yes I just read that on DBR. Guess he will miss Kentucky. If it's 4 weeks maybe not. I'm hearing sprained knee and dislocated knee. The second doesn't sound good, but I'm no doctor. There is an article in The Chronicle. Blakes's minutes just went up as our only backcourt reserve. Baker too as a wing. Those of us screaming for more depth a few months back, this is what we were talking about. We always have injuries. I wish AJ a speedy recovery and hope it is not serious.
You can’t get more depth if players don’t want to come off the bench( this is the reason for the largely amount of transfers). Sometimes the staff knows this and is the reason for looking ahead to next years and the year after. I mean you just lost Brakesfield, Coleman, and tape all looking for places where they could start or receive more minutes. When you look at it Duke has 2- pg’s, 2- sg’s, 2-sf’s and a starting PF and Center with two fifth year big men reserves on the bench. Duke has never been known for going more then 8-9 deep. Hard to sale there will be minutes to be had .

But there are minutes to be had because injuries happen. We did play more guys last year. We couldnt get any guards to tranfer in for 10 minutes a game for Coach Ks last year? You can't just hope for the best you have to prepare for the worst. Sorry just venting.

Last edited:
But there are minutes to be had because injuries happen. We did play more guys last year. We couldnt get any guards to tranfer in for 10 minutes a game for Coach Ks last year? You can't just hope for the best you have to prepare for the worst. Sorry just venting.
Who’s to say the staff didn’t reach out but players weren’t interested. We played more guys out of necessity last season trying to figure out the best line ups. They played more players but I guess to the three mentioned who left not enough .
so now with Griffin out it just means Keels and Blake’s might be able to see more minutes on the court which I’m fine with along with Baker preparing them for conference play.

Someone on DBR mentioned that Bates Jones looked good in practice, hitting some shots and playing good defense on Banchero. Would like to see him get some minutes, which is now a possibility. But certainly a golden opportunity for Keels and Baker.

Last edited:
I'm a little reluctant to believe what we hear on Duke injuries. I remember this guy who had a toe injury who was supposed to be out for a few weeks...

K said at the ACC presser AJ is off crutches and confirmed it was a sprain, not a dislocation. Really hoping he's ready for Kentucky.

Reactions: youngman42
This is giving me bad flashbacks of last year. Not fair, and I know it is different, but still. These kids do have their future to consider, esp. lottery pics. AJ prob. would benefit by coming back, but if he gets injured again that will raise questions for the NBA. But I would think AJ will play as he has something to prove.

Last edited:
I'm no doctor nor have i slept at a holiday inn recently...but any dislocation weakens the joint and the ligaments around it, and its difficult to get the original integrity back...people with disclocated shoulders for example seem to have dislocations again all the time. It has to be hard to dislocate a knee...and with the sport being very vertical and horizontal at speed, the pressure on that joint is immense...I hope he recovers 100% and takes his time as this could be very troublesome for such a young kid. I wish him a healthy and complete recovery if its a dislocation...just the thought makes this OFC's knees hurt!

This is giving me bad flashbacks of last year. Not fair, and I know it is different, but still. These kids do have their future to consider, esp. lottery pics. AJ prob. would benefit by coming back, but if he gets injured again that will raise questions for the NBA. But I would think AJ will play as he has something to prove.
Man you’re like a wounded fawn, like a guy who’s first Gf cheated on him and can’t trust again. Last year did you dirty Chris! We’ll be back!

I'm hearing dislocation, which is worse than a sprain. Ugh.
A dislocated knee is an Orthopedic emergency. It involves tearing of most of the knee ligaments and often an injury to the popliteal artery. It is often a career ending injury not to mention sometimes an amputation. It he "dislocated" anything , it would be the patella (knee cap). That isn't serious. Sounds like a strain of one of the supporting ligaments/structure or patellar tendon which will heal in a few weeks.

Plus I have friends who hate Duke.
Don't we all Chris? We're surrounded by haters, but I feed off their hate. I love living rent-free in their heads, and I dearly love pissin' em off. Sometimes depending on my mood, I will come out of a store, see a UNC fan with a tarhole hat, and just holler "Roy KNEW!!!!!" OFC

I seen practice video from today and he was in uniform and engage on sidelines
Yeah, but the body language.....how was the body language?? :)

All we can do is hope for the best. We all want to beat Kentucky and the Zags, but in the big picture there is no reason to rush the return. We want AJ in the rotation at 100% for ACC play. If we get that, I will be a happy fan.

AJ does seem kind of injury prone. Maybe we should assume if he comes back healthy it is a bonus. Keels gets a lot of minutes which will help him develop quicker. Baker also gets more minutes which will make us more experienced. AJ at full strength after Christmas would be ideal.

AJ does seem kind of injury prone. Maybe we should assume if he comes back healthy it is a bonus. Keels gets a lot of minutes which will help him develop quicker. Baker also gets more minutes which will make us more experienced. AJ at full strength after Christmas would be ideal.
He’s really looking like Winslow 2.0 in the injury department. I just want the kid to be healthy .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT