ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS TEXAS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Awesome game by Bagley. We show our youth a lot, but it's early and hopefully we get our defense shored up.
Allen played a good second half, but he has to be smarter. At least 2 of his fouls were absolutely stupid. He needs to be out on the court. All 12 points in second half. We played like a champion in second half, and like Bilas said, so much stronger with him out there, and even better when he scores.

Ironically one of Grayson's fouls may have actually helped Duke win the game. If he doesnt commit his 4th foul on Bamba, the 7 footer gets a resounding dunk to put Texas up 8. That fires up the Longhorns. Instead he split the pair of fts, and they go up 7. Worked out pretty well in the end! However obviously we have to have GA ON THE COURT, LEADING THIS YOUNG TEAM. Grayson played well enough to help Duke forge a 70-70 tie when he committed the charging foul, a play he should have not made. He had two like that....OFC

Last edited:
Thought Grayson really motivated the team with his hustle and big time baskets in the second half even though he fouled out with a couple of fouls he knew better than committing. Then the freshmen took over. I know their two bigs fouled out but Bags and Trent grew up some tonight. We're going to have some more games like this before the season is over but what an experience these young guys had tonight. They are being prepared. OFC

Nice game from Trent tonight. Love that play call to have him drive it to the hoop off of the inbounds. UT was not expecting his # to be called like that. That was a relly key moment in this game. Great call by K. His foul shooting was key tonight too.

Damn, I love Alex O'Connel's game.

Tre took some bad outside shots early in the clock. Horrible. But that has to stop for everyone on this team, except for the occasional one by Allen. For those calling him selfish and totally trashing him, did you even try to notice his hustle D in the backcourt all night long. He busted his ass all game. Please don't kill the kid for a couple of bad choices. This whole team needs to be more patient on offense. Way too much talent scoring the ball and passing the ball throughout the lineup to settle for quick shots that range from so-so looks to downright horrible looks. If this team really hunts for great shots they are almost unbeatable. Scoring efficiency will go way up, teams will be fouling us way more, and we wont have to spent as much time on D.

Reactions: dukesince91
You guys need to check out RR. I’ve never seen a fanbase so obsessed with the failure of another program. 75% of the posts have to do with the refs, and giving Duke no credibility. It’s pure comedy. I love the fight this team showed. I honestly never felt it was over because of all the talent we are lucky to have. We need to have a better first 10 minutes if we want to win on Sunday. Overall, couldn’t be happier to be a Duke fan and HOLY $#%+ is Marvin Bagley a stud or what?

Reactions: GeneBanksManCrush
A lot to take (and leave) from tonight...

1 - Grayson needs to be really good for this team to be really good. We can win in stretches without him, but we can’t ‘win’ without him.

2 - Young teams historically struggle defensively. We’re very young, and I’ll leave it at that.

3 - Free throws are going to be a huge concern all season. We can say ‘practice’ all we want, but that’s not traditionally going to change overnight. It’s who we are. And truthfully, I do think we can have nights where we’re pretty good from there....but reality is we’re going to struggle, as well. My best advice? Hold your breath.

4 - While Grayson is our leader, we probably have the best/most talented player in the country in Marvin Bagley. If he was an 80% FT shooter he’d be almost unstoppable inside 18 feet. His talent is off the charts.

5 - I feel like this team goes long stretches where they really struggle to score. It’s frustrating when you see the talent. This might be getting more comfortable with one another, too.

6 - I think we can safely put to rest any concerns about Grayson 1) having to play the point in stretches, and 2) doing it really, really well. He’s better off the ball, but don’t take that to mean he’s not incredibly efficient with the ball in his hands.

7 - We essentially won the last seven minutes without our most important player, and did it with (primarily) five freshmen in his absence. It’s not how we would have preferred to dial it up, but in hindsight, maybe it’s a good thing for these guys.

8 - A win is a win is a win. In a long season, you’re going to win a few ugly, and in all likelihood, probably win one or two you shouldn’t have.

9 - Portland St. wasn’t a good team. There wasn’t a lot to take from yesterday’s win. Texas, though, is pretty good. I chalk up yesterday to just not being good. Today Texas punched us - - - more than once. We finally responded.

10 - Florida or Gonzaga is going to be tough. We won’t win if we play like yesterday or today (for the first 30 minutes). I actually think Grayson has a Grayson performance on Sunday and we win. That could be the alcohol, though, too.

The mulleted keystone beer spokesman Keith Stone, plays for Florida. I'm a little surprised, by looking at him in the commercials, that he has any eligibility left.

He should learn from the game today, and manage the next game better. He has been good all year, but was pressing pretty hard today. I'm excited for the next game, for him!

Yeah, he certainly had some turnover problems, but I'm hoping he'll cut down on that this game.
We have to remember these guys have only 7 games experience at the college level. And 5 freshmen on the floor finished up the OT with a win. We've got a lot to look forward to.

OFC

Reactions: Jnood
There was no energy in the first half, none. They punched us in the mouth and bullied us around, getting pretty much whatever they wanted. There are a lot of teams in college basketball that we wouldn’t have been able to climb out of that hole against. Thankfully Texas, although better than any non Michigan St team we’ve played all year, doesn’t have the scoring punches needed to deliver the knock out blow. But make no mistake, we can’t afford to come out sluggish and get pushed often, or we will have a lot of L’s.

I think this team can play good man to man defense, and definitely better than they displayed in the first half. But we have to buy in and talk as a unit and play with an attitude that our opponent is not going to score against us. Right now we seem content trying to outsfore people every night.

Rebounding should never be an issue with this group, we are big and long. The zone really doesn’t help, but we need to find bodies when the shot goes up not just turn and jump.

Good win, fun win as a fan. Back to work, lots to improve upon.

Florida is going to be a tough out. They shoot the 3 extremely well. We are allowing opponents to shoot slightly better than us from 3 AND the FT line.

One thing I never do is give up on Duke until that final buzzer. I’ve seen too many NBA style runs by Duke over the years. We can go on a 20-2 run at the drop of a hat because once Coach K finds that mismatch it’s over. So far this is reminding me of the Golden State Warriors as far as knowing you’re the best and not coming out with the needed intensity. Seems like Golden State always are losing in the first half but when they need to turn up they do. We looked helpless but all of a sudden we got stops and scored at will. This big man tandem is easily the best we’ve every had. They’re unstoppable when they decide to put their head down and score. There’s nothing anyone can do. I can’t remember the last time we won after making 4 threes. That’s what I like to see

There was no energy in the first half, none. They punched us in the mouth and bullied us around, getting pretty much whatever they wanted. There are a lot of teams in college basketball that we wouldn’t have been able to climb out of that hole against. Thankfully Texas, although better than any non Michigan St team we’ve played all year, doesn’t have the scoring punches needed to deliver the knock out blow. But make no mistake, we can’t afford to come out sluggish and get pushed often, or we will have a lot of L’s.

I think this team can play good man to man defense, and definitely better than they displayed in the first half. But we have to buy in and talk as a unit and play with an attitude that our opponent is not going to score against us. Right now we seem content trying to outsfore people every night.

Rebounding should never be an issue with this group, we are big and long. The zone really doesn’t help, but we need to find bodies when the shot goes up not just turn and jump.

Good win, fun win as a fan. Back to work, lots to improve upon.

Agree- nice post Chov. We have to come out PREPARED because DUKE is stitched on our jerseys and we wear a PERMANENT BULLSEYE!

OFC

Reactions: KellenPatrick
I forgot to mention just how awesome that cross court pass/save Alex made to give us that 3 ball was. That was killer!

A game saving type play by Alex. The kid makes things happen!

And while we're talking 'awesome' plays, what about that incredible layup by Trent against Bamba! Tied the game, and the 'an 1' gave us the lead, plus fouling out Bamba. That was a MAN-sized play against a shot blocker supreme!

KwBpkFj.gif

OFC

A game saving type play by Alex. The kid makes things happen!

And while we're talking 'awesome' plays, what about that incredible layup by Trent against Bamba! Tied the game, and the 'an 1' gave us the lead, plus fouling out Bamba. That was a MAN-sized play against a shot blocker supreme!

KwBpkFj.gif

OFC

Do you really think Bamba fouled Trent on that play. It could have been a flop.;) OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT