ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GEORGETOWN 2K EMPIRE CLASSIC FINAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I mean, hindsight is always 20/20, but clearly you see how hard it is at times for this team to get shots, let alone score, right?

Here’s the deal....IMO, I don’t think Georgetown is very good, at least the version we saw tonight. Two of their best players spent a large chunk of the game on the bench because of stupid fouls. What was the final tally on turnovers? They had to be 25+.

Duke is tough and they defend. Don’t get me wrong, I love those traits. But like just about everyone else, I wonder at times where our offense is going to come from....however, I’m encouraged. Vernon looks good, Wendell seems like he’s turned a corner and Cassius has been a pleasant surprise. Of course, Tre is Tre.
I’m comfortable with where we are in November. The starting 5 is starting to solidify but I’d like to see Joey get a start. We tend to start slow but when we start clicking it’s purty

I mean, hindsight is always 20/20, but clearly you see how hard it is at times for this team to get shots, let alone score, right?

Here’s the deal....IMO, I don’t think Georgetown is very good, at least the version we saw tonight. Two of their best players spent a large chunk of the game on the bench because of stupid fouls. What was the final tally on turnovers? They had to be 25+.

Duke is tough and they defend. Don’t get me wrong, I love those traits. But like just about everyone else, I wonder at times where our offense is going to come from....however, I’m encouraged. Vernon looks good, Wendell seems like he’s turned a corner and Cassius has been a pleasant surprise. Of course, Tre is Tre.
They had 24 turnovers
We had 21 turnovers

I’m not sure I totally agree. Although we don’t have one go-to guy, we have probably 7 guys that at times can take over a game. We certainly haven’t hit our offensive ceiling and are currently the 8th best offensive team in the country. On a night like tonight where we didn’t look great on offense by any stretch we still came away with 81 (48 in the second half which included about 5 minutes of stall ball) and 46% from 3. I get what you are saying but I feel like the “where is the offense going to come from” narrative is a very Seth Greenberg sort of non-issue issue.

I like having a couple of tough wings like Moore (Carrawell comparison was solid) and Stanley. Moore is built like a truck. I didn't have a lot of expectations for Carey, but he's been just as good if not better than Bagley and Carter when you consider the solid D he plays. Need Hurt to develop. I know K was trying to win the game, but I hope he doesn't shy away from Hurt. Need to let him play through some of this. His development is key to tourney success. I'd like to see Baker earlier in the game. He can really shoot it.

I’m not sure I totally agree. Although we don’t have one go-to guy, we have probably 7 guys that at times can take over a game. We certainly haven’t hit our offensive ceiling and are currently the 8th best offensive team in the country. On a night like tonight where we didn’t look great on offense by any stretch we still came away with 81 (48 in the second half which included about 5 minutes of stall ball) and 46% from 3. I get what you are saying but I feel like the “where is the offense going to come from” narrative is a very Seth Greenberg sort of non-issue issue.
I agree. We are averaging 84 a game. This isn’t a Virginia team winning every time they score 50. But I agree with @dukiejay that the offense gets really clunky at times, especially in the beginning of games before we have generated any sort of flow. It was hard watching lineups featuring Javin, Jack, Goldwire, and Tre. We need to balance out the lineup with shooters (yes, Stanley is a shooter—he’s money).

I’m encouraged that we are playing inside out with Vern. Dude is a monster. I can’t believe how good he is honestly. Hurt will come around. Joey shoots lights out. Moore and Stanley both drive the lane and pull everything inside, they just need to get better (as does Vern) at keeping their head up because we have open shooters behind the arc. Alex will eventually start knocking them down.

I think we have every single piece on both offense and defense. I don’t see any holes in the lineup whatsoever. Just needs consistency and.....development, which I believe will come.

According to devils den, Wendell carter played last night!!

“Carey carried the water until his teammates caught on, with fellow freshmen Cassius Stanley (21 points) and Wendell Carter (17) helping the Blue Devils stay afloat even as Georgetown's Omer Yurtseven piled in 21 points, all in the second half.“

According to devils den, Wendell carter played last night!!

“Carey carried the water until his teammates caught on, with fellow freshmen Cassius Stanley (21 points) and Wendell Carter (17) helping the Blue Devils stay afloat even as Georgetown's Omer Yurtseven piled in 21 points, all in the second half.“
Lol, really?

Reactions: Fourteen44
Last night they were flashing +/- stats for each player… I assume it meant how the team did plus or minus points while they were in the game… In general how the team did in the points category while they were in the game… Would have to take both offense and defense into account. Seem like an interesting metric. I would love to see the numbers perhaps on the season for Baker, Javin, Goldwire and Alex.

I think that was expected coming into the year with our offense. Most knew that our offense would be a work in progress all year. To me the key will be getting constant scoring out of moore Stanley hurt and Baker. This college basketball year is wide open. With the right offensive improvement why not us.

Last edited:
I have to be honest I’m excited about where this team is. I was brutally nervous going into this year wondering if this was going to be a down year for Duke. Not a traditional down year, but a down year by the standard set by Duke. And I guess it still could be. But we are 6-0 and sitting at the top of college basketball. And I’m much more confident that this group will grow more from November to March than recent teams. The fact we don’t have an RJ or Zion or surefire lottery pick can almost work to our advantage. Far too often last year did we go into Zion watch or RJ watch, where everyone just stood around and let them be great. This year we are going to be forced to grow together. And with the amount of players who could either be in or out of the rotation I don’t think we’ll have to worry about being complacent.

We really need to find an identity in our half court offense. We have a lot of nice pieces who do good things in spurts. But as a whole we haven’t seen it really click yet. We are still often playing as a finger instead of a fist.

When you look at our team I see one that is big, strong and athletic. We play hard nosed defense, we really get after the boards. We aren’t a great shooting team but we have a lot of guys who can knock down an open look. Believe or not that is a big improvement over last year. We just need to find an identity on offense. And we have a lot of time to work on that.

Reactions: dukiejay
I forgot to send the money. If we lose this one it's on me. Looks like our guys are on their own. Please be discreet with this money thing. There are always thr and probably RR lurkers reading our post. ;) OFC

So grateful to our team for pulling my rear end out of the fire in this one. The officials were horrible for both teams and if I had paid them I would ask for the money back. ;) OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: retiredsoldier
I see some players settling into roles. Jones is the leader. He has the maturity to handle it. Carey is the inside stud. He's money when he gets position and all his teammates know how to look for him. Stanley is very reliable. If he keeps hitting the open 3 then his athleticism makes him invaluable. White simply doesn't make mistakes. Baker will come off the bench shooting and hopefully hitting.

I think the others are settling into their roles as well except for Hurt and AOC. I hope they both find their game and our offense will be so much better.

Just watched the game since i wasn’t able to last night and overall i was happy with their performance. Some of my thoughts
-Vernon is going to be a monster for us this year. His play in those past two games were very impressive.
-Wendell is starting to figure it out. I was frustrated with his play in past games but he’s a freshman so it should be expected but when we’ve had freshman like we’ve had in the past it’s easy to get down on the freshman when they actually play like freshman. You can see he’s figuring it out and when he does it’s another weapon offensively.
-I thought Joey played very well in the minutes he got. Only scored 5 points but they just seemed like really big points. He keeps shooting this well he may take AOC’s minutes.
-Cassius had another great game. Started off slow but he is truly a guy who scores in spurts. If he gets one bucket you can bet he’s going to get 3 or 4 more after that in the next couple minutes. And his shooting has been better than people expected. Went 3-3 last night from long range. They were wide open but it’s still something that’s impressive. He’s not going to force a 3 but if he’s wide open he’s going to take it and he’s very capable of making it.
-Jack was good overall. Only complaint with him is he passes up a lot of open shots. Saw him pass up many open 3’s and I’d just wish he’d let a couple of them fly.
-I was disappointed with Tre’s shooting. The past couple games he had actually shot it well and i thought he had figured it out. His shots last night were not pretty.
-As for Hurt i don’t even know what to say. I felt like he should’ve gotten more than 5 minutes but what do i know.

I like having a couple of tough wings like Moore (Carrawell comparison was solid) and Stanley. Moore is built like a truck. I didn't have a lot of expectations for Carey, but he's been just as good if not better than Bagley and Carter when you consider the solid D he plays. Need Hurt to develop. I know K was trying to win the game, but I hope he doesn't shy away from Hurt. Need to let him play through some of this. His development is key to tourney success. I'd like to see Baker earlier in the game. He can really shoot it.

I think the advantage K has this year that we haven’t really had the past few, is that he’s able to go to different guys on any given night. Two weeks ago people thought Baker was the odd man out. Then Wendell...now Hurt. Truth is, none of them are that guy. On a given night they might be, though. Last night wasn’t Matthew’s night....that’s all I’d read into it for now.

I like Moore a lot. I liked what I saw even in the first few games. Yes, he forced the issue too much, but his ability to attack and get to the rim with ease was promising. I'm enjoying seeing a lot of guys contributing and getting run. And I love Duke teams that hit boards hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT