ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs ND

As bad as Proctor looked I think it's time put him back in the starting lineup. Foster has basically been invisible the last few games. Maybe he can be more productive coming off the bench.

The team did a good job of going to Mark with Kyle being blitzed every time he touched it in the post. I am so impressed with Mark these past couple of games. That said, the staff does need to do a better job of teaching Kyle how to play when he is consistently double teamed. He struggled with that last year and seems to be again this year. He was clearly frustrated and at times forcing today. He's too good and valuable to our team to let him get taken out like that.

I feel bad saying it but it's hard watching Blakes right now. We all praise him for his D but I actually think his on ball defense hasn't been great lately and then on offensive... well everyone knows.

The same ND team that stomped UVA by 20+ and almost beat State this week. They're a much better team than they were when they lost to The Citadel. Awful take once again.
My bad bro you right I mean beating uva is pretty impressive and almost beating nc state? Pretty crazy considering both are top 25 teams with a ton of 5 stars. Remind me, what are they ranked? Do they have a pre season first team all American? I hate to tell you this but nc state and uva aren’t even getting votes in the top 25

I don’t care that they destroyed uva by 20+ . I care that Duke could’ve lost this game despite notre dame playing awful.

If ND was balling out, ok I guess. But they weren’t. Duke was just BAD today.

Young didn't play great but had 4 rebounds and saved Flip from getting beat up for another 8 minutes. Blakes gave some good minutes too, but yes he is raw sometimes. But those guys know their roles.

Mitchell missed the entire summer didn't he? There is a chance he is just now rounding into form like Lively last year. That would raise this team's ceiling and take pressure off Flip.

My bad bro you right I mean beating uva is pretty impressive and almost beating nc state? Pretty crazy considering both are top 25 teams with a ton of 5 stars. Remind me, what are they ranked? Do they have a pre season first team all American? I hate to tell you this but nc state and uva aren’t even getting votes in the top 25

I don’t care that they destroyed uva by 20+ . I care that Duke could’ve lost this game despite notre dame playing awful.

History has shown we just do not shoot well at ND. I disagree in us playing bad. We held them to 59....

ioliva - can we take it down a notch? No we didn't play great, but it seems like you are only watching one side of the ball. And road wins are not easy. Take Arizona losing by almost 20 on the road to Stanford, or Purdue losing at Northwestern, or UCONN at Seton Hall, or Marquette at Providence. Those are all top 10 teams currently. Just saying, it's tough to play on the road.

I was at a high school game with my dad as a kid. They announced that BYU had just beaten Notre Dame by one in the tournament.. The entire crowd gasped as Notre Dame was very good that year. Some kid named Danny Ainge went coast to coast for a lay up. Kelly Tripuka had just hit a jumper with 8 seconds left to give the Irish the lead. I believe it was a sweet sixteen game. I'm starting to sound like Dick Vitale.

Last edited:
The same ND team that stomped UVA by 20+ and almost beat State this week. They're a much better team than they were when they lost to The Citadel. Awful take once again.

Look more closely at UVA. They do not hold up even under the least powerful magnifying glass getting thrashed anytime they play a decent team. They are not the old UVA.

You also realize NCSU played historically bad for a winning team. And yet as bad as they played ND was still unable to win. ND was and is bad. We played embarrassingly awful. Don't make judgements listening to ingame commentary. They are like wrestling announcers even trying to make jobbers look good.

Those teams mentioned (AZ, Purdue, UConn, Marquette) all have better resumes than we do. But it's a road win and I'll take it. Are we 11 and 3 now? That's more like it. A lot better than 5 and 3. We are a solid top 20 team at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
They weren’t good defensively, we were bad offensively. Did we watch the same game?

So you mean to tell me the citadel could figure out a way to beat ND at home by 20 but it’s too much to ask a pretty experienced team of 5 stars to do the same?

Awful take on the expectations we should have from scheyer.
ND’s defense has been outstanding the last three games (83.9 points per 100 possessions). This is similar to Houston, the #1 defense in the country at 83.3.

ND had an awful shooting performance against Citadel: 14-40 on 2s and 3-24 on 3s. Almost impossible to win if nothing is going in the basket.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Finding a way to win when you’re on the road in conference when you don’t play well is the silver lining. No one is pleased with the way we played, but a win is a win. I figured it would be ugly and it was. I’d love us to come out there and just pick up where we left off in the second half of the Cuse game. Hopefully this team learns from this. Mark was really the only one who did, Roach continues to be Roach. Outside of those two, lots of improvement to be had. Big test Tuesday night.

Finding a way to win when you’re on the road in conference when you don’t play well is the silver lining. No one is pleased with the way we played, but a win is a win. I figured it would be ugly and it was. I’d love us to come out there and just pick up where we left off in the second half of the Cuse game. Hopefully this team learns from this. Mark was really the only one who did, Roach continues to be Roach. Outside of those two, lots of improvement to be had. Big test Tuesday night.
Mitchell second half was good, first half was awful

I only listened as I have seen we are better when I listen and do not watch, however:

1. We are insanely good under Scheyer, especially since the UVA loss, of not only leading at half, but never trailing the entire second half (even with a pretty good sample size of either tied or one possession games in that stretch). The only game we trailed in the second half of our long winning streak last season was at the cheats, for a total of like 5 minutes. And when they went up 4, we scored the next 3 offensive possessions to go up 52-51 and answered EVERY TIME cheats retook the lead.

2. Flip may not be scoring, but he contributed in other areas. So it is not like not shooting well affected his other areas.

3. This is the dog days of January where we just had two big interruptions in play. Let us get through our "bye" and then better judgements can be made.

4. We held an ACC team not named UVA to under 60 on its home court. At this point, I would rather have a great defensive effort and an ok offensive game than the other way around. And with this defensive effort, you can describe this game any way you want, but awful is not one of them.

5. If we simply take care of the ball better after rebounds, this is a different game. That in my mind is a simple fix.

6. We had 2, TWO turnovers in the second half.

7. Sounded like more than a handful of shots were down and out and we just couldn't buy inside shots in the game. See at ND in 2015. It happens.

8. I swear if Roach gets that three and not called for a terrible offensive foul, this is an entirely different ball game.

9. Proctor's injury essentially led to starting over the season for him. After these two games, I expect him to be more his normal self.

10. How stupid is the ACC to let Lee Cassell do our games? Calls against Duke people wonder if he hates Duke. Calls against the other team, he is questioned if he is doing a makeup for how bad he screwed us. Not a good situation for him.

Flip is just having a hard time with the double and triple team that he is getting. Hopefully he will soon figure it out, because we are going to need his offense agianst the better teams!!!

OFC

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Flip is just having a hard time with the double and triple team that he is getting. Hopefully he will soon figure it out, because we are going to need his offense agianst the better teams!!!

OFC
1. He doing a pretty darn good job passing out of it to the open man.

2. Mark keeps playing like this, he will not face it for long.

3. Still adjusting to playing with two good hips. He has had a bad hip since HS. Takes more than half a year to fully learn to play on that.

Lots of different opinions here which is what its for....Watching KS with Dickinson then Flip vs ND the difference is huge...sophomore vs senior......i think Flip has an identity problem..is he a low post scorer? or an oversized PF? Dickinson is just more powerful and assertive and knows what he wants to do...i think Flip still isnt sure and therefore hesitates or doesnt commit to his decisions etc....once he figures that out I think his inconsistency will go away....again just my thoughts....

10. How stupid is the ACC to let Lee Cassell do our games? Calls against Duke people wonder if he hates Duke. Calls against the other team, he is questioned if he is doing a makeup for how bad he screwed us. Not a good situation for him
Yup- that guy is a crook and should never be able to call another Duke game. I've never in my 36 years of life watched a more biased ref than Cassell. He's a real problem when he's calling Duke games.

The UVA game last year still blows my mind.

Yeah Im not gonna bash Flip for his performance yesterday (although I was angry at the close missed shots). Dude has been double-teamed especially on the road and he seems to get more sped up on the road than at home. Now he still led us with 4 assists yesterday. I wish Flip would go up stronger but I realize the guy was rehabbing from hip surgery over the summer. Duke is using Flip similarly to Jokic with the Nuggets. This was a blowout if other players hit their open shots cause when Flip is doubled team, someone is open and he is finding them. Last year, he was horrible at that and we were horrible from 3. He’s improved in that aspect and we’ve improved from 3 (still could be better). I hope Flip comes back one more year to work on getting stronger and finishing through contact and from long range. Flip affects the team in more ways than just scoring and when the ball is moving, our offense looks soooo smooth.

Props to Mark Mitchell for getting out of his slump! Now we need Flip and Proctors dad to tweet something similar 😂

Good win; let's keep it rolling. Pitt recently lost to Syracuse by 8 and UNC by 13. They won at Louisville yesterday by 13. @Quavarius do you think there is a chance Flip comes back? I get he probably won't, but his inability to finish at the rim has surely caught the attention of NBA scouts. Even my dad brought it up, and he rarely watches Duke.

Last edited:
Instead of the pay the ref fund, can we start a fund where people go on social media and send cryptic tweets as player's parents? Seem to work wonders.

I have to ask, does Duke have some of the most upside of any team in the country? If Mark continues his strong play, those triple teams become double teams on Flip. We have seen the ability for Mitchell, Proctor, Foster, Roach, McCain, and Flip to take over a game. Get them all started at the same time...

The potential is there for more. Mark becoming the guy we thought he'd be certainly helps. Right now we are similar to last year's team. We will learn more when we get into the teeth of the ACC schedule in a few weeks.

Good win; let's keep in rolling. Pitt recently lost to Syracuse by 8 and UNC by 13. They won at Louisville yesterday by 13. @Quavarius do you think there is a chance Flip comes back? I get he probably won't, but his inability to finish at the rim has surely caught the attention of NBA scouts. Even my dad brought it up, and he rarely watches Duke.
I think it’s 50/50. He really loves Duke but in this mock draft, he’s up to 12th (lottery). It’s hard to say no to the lottery and it’s also based on what we have coming in next year and the weakness/strength of this draft and next year’s draft. Lots of factors. I’m being selfish and would like to see him come back.

I know I'm an old guy, but I can't figure out why Flip never learned a jump hook that he could go up with right away instead of pausing, faking and going off the wrong foot for an awkward short shot. I still see some guys shooting them and they are unstoppable and easily repeatable shots.

Good Afternoon All!

I made the drive to South Bend yesterday to watch The Blue Devils for the 3rd time this season. The first half was very ugly, Duke could not make a 3, Roach and Mitchell were the only ones who were playing well. The 2nd half was much improved for The Blue Devils. Mitchell continued his strong play and McCain came to life. The majority of the team played bad with the exception of Mitchell, Roach, and McCain. Ladies and Gents, when teams play against Flip they send multiple guys at him and hammer him, I’ve seen it 3 times this season in person. The kid never stops battling though, we should be proud Flip wears Duke across his chest. Although the win was not a work of fine art, I’ll take it! After the game, I visited with Foster’s parents and with Foster. I complimented Caleb on his style of play and wished him Luck the rest of the season. He was kind to thank me and sign my #1 Navy Duke Brotherhood jersey. His parents are very kind people too. We had a large presence of us Duke fans in Chicago, Atlanta, and South Bend, I love seeing that. The kids are playing really hard for each other and trying, let’s continue to support them as best we can for the remainder of the season. I will say this, they looked a lot more together last night than they did in Atlanta.

Let’s Go Duke!

Great post Bullcity! I could see Foster as a 2-3 year player for Duke. Hopefully he's not in a hurry to go anywhere and we can watch him develop, a little like we've watch Roach who is much better than he was as a Freshman or sophomore.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Great post Bullcity! I could see Foster as a 2-3 year player for Duke. Hopefully he's not in a hurry to go anywhere and we can watch him develop, a little like we've watch Roach who is much better than he was as a Freshman or sophomore.

Thank You Liftee. It’s hard to say how long Foster will stay at Duke, there is still a lot of season left. With my interaction with him last night, I can tell he is a very humble kid. We’ve seen flashes of him take it up a notch, notably against Michigan State and Baylor. It was unfair for Bronny James to get a McDonald’s All American spot in the high school game in 2023, when Caleb gave Bronny the business each time they faced off in high school and I think Caleb uses that as motivation. I really like Foster as a Point Guard so I can definitely see him being Duke’s Lead Point Guard next season and beyond.

Reactions: Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT