ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas Next

The_Only_Blue

Cameron Crazy
Nov 10, 2021
What are everyone's thoughts against them? They were able to get a couple very questionable calls against Holmgren and got him in foul trouble early and eventually fouling him out. That's when they were able to take over and win. Their PG, JD Notae has had good games this year but is a high volume shooter who also likes to drive the lane with the pick and roll with their center Williams. We need to limit his drives and play physical but smart as well since we just played a really physical game against TT. We don't need the zebras calling flops and cheap fouls against Mark and Paolo.

Reactions: sheyduke
Will be like the old Hogs teams “40 minutes of hell”. I do think Duke will need Baker off the bench.
Keels will bounce back. Should be a frantic pace.

Gotta bring that same intensity. I think if we do we are a tougher match up. If we can not turn it over and get Williams going we could get their big man I. Foul trouble and that could hurt them. They can look like world beaters sometimes. But we have to keep that mental fortitude.

We are seeing boys becoming men. Keep it going! Love it.

Mix in zone to slow them down some?

BTW Chris Lykes is on this team. Remember him from Miami?
Arkansas shoots a bunch of 3 pointers and have a bunch of athletes that will crash the boards. They don’t have a lot of size but Jaylin Williams is a really smart big man who can score on all 3 levels. Williams is also great at taking charges so Banchero, Williams, and Theo need to be very careful about lowering their shoulder or attacking the basket with limited control.

Playing against Chris Lykes will be very interesting. He’s had some really big games against Duke while at Miami and will not be intimidated at all. Need to force him into taking long 3 pointers and/or making sketchy passes.

Arkansas reminds me a little of Miami. They’ve got bunch of guys that are 6’4 to 6’7 and they will switch at 4 positions when guarding Duke. They aren’t as good at scoring as Miami is, but have a much better defense. Think if we able to beat Arkansas, we will win the championship, as the only other teams left in the tournament that worries me at all is Houston and to some extent UNC.

What impresses me about Arkansas, and drives me crazy about Duke, is getting the 50-50 loose balls. Arkansas seems to get them all. Duke gets very few. Is it desire, or slowness, or what? That's probably 5 possessions a game which is a lot to give up.

If we get our share of 50-50 balls, and move to meet passes to reduce perimeter turnovers, I think we'll be OK. We will have the 4 or 5 most talented basketball players on the court and will have the GOAT coaching us.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Arkansas shoots a bunch of 3 pointers and have a bunch of athletes that will crash the boards. They don’t have a lot of size but Jaylin Williams is a really smart big man who can score on all 3 levels. Williams is also great at taking charges so Banchero, Williams, and Theo need to be very careful about lowering their shoulder or attacking the basket with limited control.

Playing against Chris Lykes will be very interesting. He’s had some really big games against Duke while at Miami and will not be intimidated at all. Need to force him into taking long 3 pointers and/or making sketchy passes.

Arkansas reminds me a little of Miami. They’ve got bunch of guys that are 6’4 to 6’7 and they will switch at 4 positions when guarding Duke. They aren’t as good at scoring as Miami is, but have a much better defense. Think if we able to beat Arkansas, we will win the championship, as the only other teams left in the tournament that worries me at all is Houston and to some extent UNC.
Actually, they are 1 of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country.

Arkansas does not worry me for some reason. But MSU and TT did, so I am not sure what to make of that. Gonzaga was the top overall seed, so we did get a lot of luck there. Any team capable of beating Gonzaga is capable of beating us, but I think we win Sat. We seem to have found our groove at the right time. Keels was quiet yest. but at least he played good defense and did not take a lot of shots. But we will need some offense from him. I think with us getting such steady play from the PG, PF and C positions it has made us an elite team.
I am going to visit the Gonzaga board to see what the mood is haha

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Is that because Nolete jacks up thirty a game ? I watched it and what got me was they hit them when it matter.
They play a lot like Miami and Williams is a big body who isn’t scared like stated to take a charge .
They will attack Williams but that’s also why you have Theo.

Reactions: christophero
They look very athletic. Bad draw for the Zags. Serious question; are they better than TT? I know they had some bad losses early but they beat Gonzaga, Kentucky and Auburn and seem to be playing really well right now.

Is that because Nolete jacks up thirty a game ? I watched it and what got me was they hit them when it matter.
They play a lot like Miami and Williams is a big body who isn’t scared like stated to take a charge .
They will attack Williams but that’s also why you have Theo.
I assume you mean JD Notae? And no, that actually doesn't have a huge impact on why their entire TEAM is one of the worst 3 pt shooting teams in the country.

Not sure we can survive another zero point game from Keels.
My picks for today.
UCLA
Purdue
Providence
Miami

Last edited:
Keys in Beating Arkansas:

1) Take care of the basketball, value every possession

2) Start out aggressively on both ends and remain the aggressor throughout the whole game. Keep the foot on the gas pedal for the whole game

3) Play Fundamental, Physical, and Team Defense. Do not allow any uncontested layups or 3s

4) Win the loose ball and rebound battle

5) Hustle back and play solid transition defense

6) Continue to be patient on offense, make solid decisions, and take the best available shots

7) Be outstanding from the free throw line

If Duke does all of this, they will be playing in New Orleans next weekend

Let’s Go Duke

Last edited:
Arkansas’ half court offense is just running high screens between Notae and J. Williams…and they execute it really well. Luckily it appears we’ve figured out how to defend this now as our guys have been staying through the screen which has been incredible to watch.

so to me, this means Keels could be a big X factor in this game to harass Notae. There are not many college guards with an NBA frame and speed like Keels.

That Williams kid for Arkansas is a big time player though. Very intelligent. Should be a good game

Why is it I'm most worried about Chris Lykes? A 5'7' bench player has me nervous. What's wrong with me?

I just look at the size and athleticism of the rest of Arkansas and I think we have defenders who can hold their own at every position. But those tiny little quick guards can just change the game. He only played 4 min against the Zags so maybe I shouldn't be worried at all, but he's averaging 18 min and 8 points a game over the season.

They rank #316 at 30.4%.

Williams is 24.6%.
Didn’t say that they make a ton of 3 point shots. Only that they shoot a bunch. Think that I heard the Seth Davis comment that they beat the top ranked team in the country while shooting 40% overall, 28% from 3 pt range, and around 60% on FTs.

Notae actually does shoot a ton of 3 pts every game, but is also really good at driving the ball to the hole. The threat of him shooting a 3 pointer makes opponents guard him tight wherever he is on the court and he uses his speed to get around folks when his outside shot isn’t following. He makes the majority of his 3 point shots from either straight on or at the elbows, but his percentage drops greatly when he’s shooting from the wings on either side.

Key to beating Arkansas is to not let guys like Williams, Amude, Wade, and Toney have a bunch of offensive rebounds. There has been some discussion about how Lykes will be familiar with playing Duke, but he’s not the only former ACC player on the Arkansas team. They also have Au’diese Toney who played for Capel at Pittsburgh. He averaged around 15pts and 6 rebs per game his Jr season, and if my memory is correct, had a monster game against Duke in Pittsburgh his JR season.

Why is it I'm most worried about Chris Lykes? A 5'7' bench player has me nervous. What's wrong with me?

I just look at the size and athleticism of the rest of Arkansas and I think we have defenders who can hold their own at every position. But those tiny little quick guards can just change the game. He only played 4 min against the Zags so maybe I shouldn't be worried at all, but he's averaging 18 min and 8 points a game over the season.
I’m worried about Lykes as well. He will be confident coming into the game against us. The amount of minutes Lykes gets usually depends on how effective their starting PG is and if any of their primary ball handlers get in foul trouble. Mussleman will always put Lykes into the game within the first 8-10 minutes and see how effective he is going to be that night.

Reactions: DukeJim99
The major key to winning this game is minimizing live ball turnovers.

If you watch the Tech game, so much of their offense was generated off our turnovers late in the second half. If we minimize turnovers that lead to scores, we can beat Arkansas.

I assume you mean JD Notae? And no, that actually doesn't have a huge impact on why their entire TEAM is one of the worst 3 pt shooting teams in the country.
Yeah the name you said lol. I watched him and he has no hesitation to shoot at all

I have never seen a Duke team mature so fast, so late in the season. I liked the way that they were gathering together without the coaches, talking and planning together. Roach is becoming the PG that we had hoped for when he was recruited. I like the chances of getting to the Final Four. Go Duke!

Reactions: ioliva

Because Lykes will embrace the moment. Because if he hits two shots. he will hit at least six. Musselman is a brilliant defensive coach. Every once in awhile, Lykes gets so hot that he cannot be stopped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT