ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS TEXAS TECH SWEET 16 OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
As my high school basketball coach used to always say, "it's nut cuttin' time!" lol. It doesn't get any easier from here on out, folks. Not that the first two rounds were "easy".

The Red Raiders enter tonight's game with a 27-9 record overall - good enough for third place in the Big 12 (12-6). Texas Tech is experienced, big and physical and it plays great defense in the half court. Simply from a talent standpoint, Duke is better on paper - hell we're better than almost every team in the country if talent was all that mattered. But the immeasurable commodities of experience and moxy are going to be colossal tonight.

Led by senior forward Bryson Williams (13.9 ppg), junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. (10.5 ppg) and senior forward Kevin Obanor (10 ppg) Texas Tech brings back much of its scoring from the last few years under now departed Chris Beard where it enjoyed probably the best run in TT history. Several of the current Red Raiders players played in the 2019 national championship game. They shoot the three well, can run the floor when it's there, and did I mention they defend?

Duke is going to have to shoot the ball well tonight, take care of the basketball and play through Tech runs. It's going to happen when you play an experienced team and the Blue Devils have to be prepared to take a few body punches. As long as we counter, I think we're good.

Entering tonight's game the Red Raiders are favored by -1, which is essentially a pick em' game from a betting standpoint. I think Duke continues it's push to number six and keep Coach K's career alive for another day in an absolute grinder.

Tonight's game is slated to tip at 9:39 est but will actually will likely be a little bit after that as it's scheduled to follow the Gonzaga/Arkansas game that tips at 7:09pm est. The San Francisco regional (both games) will air on CBS.

Duke 74

Texas Tech 72

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke 78
TT 68

theo play like a man get your five fouls where out Santos so Mark can have his way down low !

It's going to be a grind tonight. We need to play within ourselves. Limit turnovers, make some 3's but please don't shoot 40 of them, attack their defense rather than pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and then have someone jack up a 3 or go 1 on 5. Coach K will have them ready. I actually feel good about this game.

Duke 68
TT 57

Duke will need to play a mature game to win. This is a perfect chance for us to show our growth as a team. They will try to ugly up the game and take us out of our flow. They will clog the middle and dare us to beat them from 3. This game could go either way, but I think we grind this one out. Foul trouble could be an issue. AJ is ready to go, we will need him and Keels to be physical tonight. We can't rely on the refs to bail us out.
Duke 72
TT 67

I feel like this one gets away from us late as we panic because we are not scoring. We play a lot of isolation basketball and that won’t work tonight.

The one thing I feel like could change the game is if AJ is hot! I feel like he’s due….I think we need five threes from him tonight if we are to win.

This is where I’ve felt like it ends for us since the bracket came out.

I think it will be closer than my prediction but a lot of fouling and desperation makes the gap bigger than it really was.

TT 74
Duke 64

Reactions: christophero
That is a possible outcome for sure. I predict us to win, but I appreciate the other perspective. If everyone just picks Duke to win every single game that gets a little boring ha.
The spread is now pick em.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Just comparing talent, Duke should win by 5. But, the part that has me scratching my head is we are not the favorite. Even though it's only 1, we are the ONLY higher seed getting points.

I recall saying very early in the season that I thought Joey would be that guy who one a couple games for us by getting hot from deep. Other than FSU he has generally not done a lot. Maybe tonight's the night? I do hope he at least gets some burn tonight, even if just 6-8 minutes. It sounds like we all in agreement that we need to make some 3's tonight.

I feel like this one gets away from us late as we panic because we are not scoring. We play a lot of isolation basketball and that won’t work tonight.

The one thing I feel like could change the game is if AJ is hot! I feel like he’s due….I think we need five threes from him tonight if we are to win.

This is where I’ve felt like it ends for us since the bracket came out.

I think it will be closer than my prediction but a lot of fouling and desperation makes the gap bigger than it really was.

TT 74
Duke 64
You thinking LsU 2006?

Just comparing talent, Duke should win by 5. But, the part that has me scratching my head is we are not the favorite. Even though it's only 1, we are the ONLY higher seed getting points.

Hasn't the line moved to a pick em? at any rate, the reason they have been favored is I think that people feel that they're older, they're big bad defenders, they're perceived to be tougher and the feeling with Duke until Michigan State was how would they respond when punched in the mouth? They surprised people by responding with a 20-6 run to close out that game without AJ Griffin against a very experienced team.

That was great, and there's been articles all week on them maturing from earlier and so on but that was just one game. Let's see what they do tonight.

Hello Dookies! Looking forward to our matchup tonight as I imagine should be a nail-biter. I do want to correct what was posted as it isn't all factual.

"Led by senior forward Bryson Williams (13.9 ppg), junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. (10.5 ppg) and senior forward Kevin Obanor (10 ppg) Texas Tech brings back much of its scoring from the last few years under now departed Chris Beard where it enjoyed probably the best run in TT history. Several of the current Red Raiders players played in the 2019 national championship game. They shoot the three well, can run the floor when it's there, and did I mention they defend?"

There is only one player on our current roster that was on our 2019 Runner Up Squad, and that is Kevin McCullar.
Our typical starting lineup will consist of Adonis Arms (Sr. Transfer), Kevin McCullar (Sr.), Terrance Shannon (Jr.), Bryson Williams (Sr. Transfer), and Kevin Obanor (Sr. Transfer). We usually run an 8-9 man rotation, maybe up to 10 with our 6'11 center Daniel Batcho coming in for about 4-6 min.

We are NOT a great 3 point shooting team. Probably our best/most consistent 3 point shooter would be Bryson Williams but as a team, we rank 252 in the country in 3 pt % compared to Duke's 29th ranking.

Offensively we are okay. We either will be really on or really off. We ideally like to drive to the hoop but we can post up when needed. We do not have a true PG. Usually, you will see a mix of McCullar or Warren handling the ball up the court. We do spread the ball real well, so when we are on, there are times when 5-6 players can be in double digits but we do not have a true go-to player. It should be TJ Shannon but he has been inconsistent and did get hurt middle of the season which I still think bothers him today (back injury).

The defense as all of you know by now is our biggest strength. No middle defense against anything. Driving, posting, back doors, ext.. We ideally want to push teams to drive to the baseline and get them trapped. If they try to drive down the baseline, we will have players ready to defend and take the charge. We rotate on and off the ball really well. With our size and length, there isn't really a player that will be out of position when guarding a player.

So how do you beat our defense? Pass the ball really really well. Making that one extra pass. Also, the ability to drive to the hoop and then skip the ball out to your 3 point shooters. If you are able to watch games that we lost, it is because those teams were hot from the 3 point line.

Also, another big weakness is our inability to break the press. Now, we are not UNC bad (for those that watched the UNC vs Baylor game) but we just make some sloppy passes. We tend to try to chuck the ball down the court which typically results in a turnover.

I hope this provides more insight and looking forward to tonight!

Reactions: geddoughton23
Hello Dookies! Looking forward to our matchup tonight as I imagine should be a nail-biter. I do want to correct what was posted as it isn't all factual.

"Led by senior forward Bryson Williams (13.9 ppg), junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. (10.5 ppg) and senior forward Kevin Obanor (10 ppg) Texas Tech brings back much of its scoring from the last few years under now departed Chris Beard where it enjoyed probably the best run in TT history. Several of the current Red Raiders players played in the 2019 national championship game. They shoot the three well, can run the floor when it's there, and did I mention they defend?"

There is only one player on our current roster that was on our 2019 Runner Up Squad, and that is Kevin McCullar.
Our typical starting lineup will consist of Adonis Arms (Sr. Transfer), Kevin McCullar (Sr.), Terrance Shannon (Jr.), Bryson Williams (Sr. Transfer), and Kevin Obanor (Sr. Transfer). We usually run an 8-9 man rotation, maybe up to 10 with our 6'11 center Daniel Batcho coming in for about 4-6 min.

We are NOT a great 3 point shooting team. Probably our best/most consistent 3 point shooter would be Bryson Williams but as a team, we rank 252 in the country in 3 pt % compared to Duke's 29th ranking.

Offensively we are okay. We either will be really on or really off. We ideally like to drive to the hoop but we can post up when needed. We do not have a true PG. Usually, you will see a mix of McCullar or Warren handling the ball up the court. We do spread the ball real well, so when we are on, there are times when 5-6 players can be in double digits but we do not have a true go-to player. It should be TJ Shannon but he has been inconsistent and did get hurt middle of the season which I still think bothers him today (back injury).

The defense as all of you know by now is our biggest strength. No middle defense against anything. Driving, posting, back doors, ext.. We ideally want to push teams to drive to the baseline and get them trapped. If they try to drive down the baseline, we will have players ready to defend and take the charge. We rotate on and off the ball really well. With our size and length, there isn't really a player that will be out of position when guarding a player.

So how do you beat our defense? Pass the ball really really well. Making that one extra pass. Also, the ability to drive to the hoop and then skip the ball out to your 3 point shooters. If you are able to watch games that we lost, it is because those teams were hot from the 3 point line.

Also, another big weakness is our inability to break the press. Now, we are not UNC bad (for those that watched the UNC vs Baylor game) but we just make some sloppy passes. We tend to try to chuck the ball down the court which typically results in a turnover.

I hope this provides more insight and looking forward to tonight!
Either spell our name right or get off the board troll

Ha! I
Joey Baker gets burn and buries 4 threes. Duke by 11....
Ha! I hope this becomes true!

1) We will win comfortably
2) My prediction would be wrong and I’d be more than ok with that!

Really hope we pull this one out but not feeling confident - guess I’d go tech by 3. Their D isn’t anything new for the coaching staff and we have an excellent passer in the post with P5 (very very helpful against this type of D) but I have this vision he just falls in love with the 3 tonight and/or they fall over every time he drives forcing a whistle. 75% of the crowd rooting for TT. I think McCullar and Williams do just enough for them in the end.

J Roach is the X factor though. The way he has been playing lately is exactly how he needs to play against tech and their style of D. I just hope someone lets Paolo know he can impact this type of game better getting 7 assists instead of 7 extra shot attempts.

How bout a little more loyalty to the Duke fans on this board and a little less to the Tech fan

Because I'm not in a Cult. The TT fans post was substantive and full of information on his team. I refuse to accept or be told to accept that two oo's put together somehow negates everything else in a post like that.

Well this is a Duke board so Duke fans know better but not everyone who visits.
It was as good a summary as I've seen. Texas Tech is incredibly good at making you take the bad shot.

Obanor is a wonderful player. He was a star last year at Oral Roberts. Tech does commit silly turnovers when pressed, but that is not Duke's strength.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT