ADVERTISEMENT

Wow we are L U C K Y

BeerPoisoning

All American
Feb 17, 2019
Earth
We got lucky and survived the zebras swallowing their whistle on the 7’6” giant’s arm lowering.
04-F0-E744-C873-4-C29-B812-FE7-B2-B6454-A8.jpg

We got lucky and survived punches to the face without a breath of pressure on the whistle.
2-E623-C0-C-A494-4-AB8-9090-40-E141-E957-BD.jpg

We got lucky and survived 3 free FTs allocated to the opposing team on an all-ball block.
708-A1004-662-B-42-F3-A5-D4-2-D5-D096-E29-F2.jpg

We got lucky and survived perfect rebounding position negated by a hip+elbow check that led to an open path for a near tip in for the win.

We got lucky and survived hugs and hooks from Blackshear. He was allocated about 17 fouls for the entire time.
133-B250-A-AB6-E-4-CA5-A04-A-B24-D61-D19-A97.jpg

We got lucky and survived a very blatant moving screen that was whistled as a charge. Instead of 2 FTs, VT was awarded possession.

We got lucky and survived a possession that should have belonged to us with 6 seconds to go.
D54-C9-C78-9317-475-D-9-F0-A-9-B2-EC1-E679-B9.jpg

We got lucky and survived a very obvious foul on the final missed tip. As you can clearly see, Z’s elbow grazed Hill’s shorts. Did you catch Hill’s reaction? Should have been a flagrant one.
682073-F1-EA8-D-4-E36-B5-E7-95-A23-B0-CD9-AF.jpg

None of these foul calls or judgement calls (carrying hard evidence) would have changed the fact of the games relying on last second shots. It’s all just LUCK. We are relocating to Ireland and renaming the school to O’Duke University. Players will continue the ritual of carrying leprechauns in their shoes, sleeping on a bed of horseshoes, tucking a rabbits foot in their compression shorts and eating Lucky Charms in the locker room before games.

Last edited:
RJ also saved the ball from going out of bounds to Bolden right after the missed out of bounds sideline call. It never went out of bounds off RJ, yet in real time it looked like it could have bounced off either Barrett or the Tech player. That call gets reviewed a majority of the time, yet no review, AND they got the call wrong to begin with. With a stoppage in play, that call needed to be reviewed.

RJ also saved the ball from going out of bounds to Bolden right after the missed out of bounds sideline call. It never went out of bounds off RJ, yet in real time it looked like it could have bounced off either Barrett or the Tech player. That call gets reviewed a majority of the time, yet no review, AND they got the call wrong to begin with. With a stoppage in play, that call needed to be reviewed.
I said the same thing. That was a really weird play.

It is tiring seeing everyone say Duke benefitted from bad calls or no calls the last couple of games when in reality, the games were as close as they were due to not benefiting from bad calls or no calls.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Yeah, Duke definitely has some rough calls these last two games. At the same time you can look at a series of different plays and make a similar argument in the other direction. Which is why the whole lucky thing is a little bit BS. In reality all that matters is winning and losing in a basketball game. There are so many plays that could go either way. The winner is always the team that makes more. In the end both UCF and VT didn’t MAKE as many plays as Duke...the end

Reactions: dbav
Yeah, Duke definitely has some rough calls these last two games. At the same time you can look at a series of different plays and make a similar argument in the other direction. Which is why the whole lucky thing is a little bit BS. In reality all that matters is winning and losing in a basketball game. There are so many plays that could go either way. The winner is always the team that makes more. In the end both UCF and VT didn’t MAKE as many plays as Duke...the end

Great post, agree 100 percent

when in reality, the games were as close as they were due to not benefiting from bad calls or no calls.

Exactly my point of the post lol, people just go off of a headline or sports center.

Or I get this kinda crap blown up in my phone, and it’s never ending. Probably why I’m so wound up about the “lucky” comments
714chf.png

You forgot the missed shot clock violation agianst UCF and the three total muggings, once on RJ that led to an offensive rebound and putback, one on the pass from RJ to Zion that resulted in a turnover, and one on Marques that should’ve been two shots.

You forgot the missed shot clock violation agianst UCF and the three total muggings, once on RJ that led to an offensive rebound and putback, one on the pass from RJ to Zion that resulted in a turnover, and one on Marques that should’ve been two shots.

Plenty of stuff I missed lol, the list could of been a mile long... I was just keeping it somewhat brief

Reactions: LTDukeFan
What is not luck is the very real bias that does ultimately pressure refs against Duke that is created by the nonstop Duke gets all the calls BS. Billy Packer institutionalized that nonsense during the 01 championship and Hary William's spent the rest of his career reinforcing it.

There is One statistically proven benefit of "home field" advantage in all of sports-Preferential officiating. It comes from crowd pressure/bias. Expect more of it in this tournament. I have thought for years that K and Duke need a very public counter argument to reduce this bias, especially during the tournament where neutral venues wind up being more of true road games for us.

What is not luck is the very real bias that does ultimately pressure refs against Duke that is created by the nonstop Duke gets all the calls BS. Billy Packer institutionalized that nonsense during the 01 championship and Hary William's spent the rest of his career reinforcing it.

There is One statistically proven benefit of "home field" advantage in all of sports-Preferential officiating. It comes from crowd pressure/bias. Expect more of it in this tournament. I have thought for years that K and Duke need a very public counter argument to reduce this bias, especially during the tournament where neutral venues wind up being more of true road games for us.

The way the committee places seeds regionally is about as unfair as it gets. Every team is ranked then seeded according to rank, then they go through every seed and the highest ranked of X seed is given regional location preference closest to campus. Then next ranked in that seed gets next choice and so on. We’ve gotten quite a few terrible draws from it. 2011 might of been the worst of all. Last #1 seed, booted out west. 2,500 miles from home while #5 seed Arizona a few hours from campus. Had we won that game, we’d of gotten #2 SD State in their backyard. 2013 we played in Indy, rightfully so to Louisville’s advantage but also within easy traveling distance of MSU (who was a lower seed.) Yeah, we won but i was at that game and the crowd was sprayed in green and red. ‘15 we played Baylor in Houston as a #1 seed.

Obviously all 4 #1 seeds should get geographic preference but after that it should be rank played (4th #2 with 1st #1, etc)

Take a look at the free throws for the 1s and 2s vs opponents excluding the tune up first game in the tournament:

NC +5
UK +19
Gonzaga +8
Mich +17
Tenn -4
Virginia -4
Mich St -8
Duke -16

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Exactly my point of the post lol, people just go off of a headline or sports center.

Or I get this kinda crap blown up in my phone, and it’s never ending. Probably why I’m so wound up about the “lucky” comments
714chf.png
You see, this is why I don't have friends. People are idiots and just not worth the time and effort.

Take a look at the free throws for the 1s and 2s vs opponents excluding the tune up first game in the tournament:

NC +5
UK +19
Gonzaga +8
Mich +17
Tenn -4
Virginia -4
Mich St -8
Duke -16
Wow, this is a crazy stat considering Duke is not heavily reliant on the 3 point/perimeter shots. RJ and Zion attack the rim consistently. Etc etc...

You see, this is why I don't have friends. People are idiots and just not worth the time and effort.

Hahah it drives me nuts. I mean I ain’t gonna drop a buddy just for pulling my chain... Everyone I know has no idea what’s actually going on and they trash talk. You’ll lose your sanity putting up with you and you’ll lose your sanity arguing it.

Which is why I’m on here lmao

Hahah it drives me nuts. I mean I ain’t gonna drop a buddy just for pulling my chain... Everyone I know has no idea what’s actually going on and they trash talk. You’ll lose your sanity putting up with you and you’ll lose your sanity arguing it.

Which is why I’m on here lmao
I would, and have lol. I get so much shit from my family I just don't wanna deal with it from anyone else, throw in all the UK fans I see/talk to on a daily basis...no thanks lol. You will definitely lose your sanity trying argue with someone who doesn't watch but just runs their mouth lol.

I would, and have lol. I get so much shit from my family I just don't wanna deal with it from anyone else, throw in all the UK fans I see/talk to on a daily basis...no thanks lol. You will definitely lose your sanity trying argue with someone who doesn't watch but just runs their mouth lol.

Lord I feel for you. I live in Indiana and it’s all IU fans stuck in the 70s/80s. Mom’s from Lexington so I grew up listening to the Wildcat fans talk nonsensical prattle too.

Reactions: Shatterthesky22
Lord I feel for you. I live in Indiana and it’s all IU fans stuck in the 70s/80s. Mom’s from Lexington so I grew up listening to the Wildcat fans talk nonsensical prattle too.
The ones who actually watch are good to talk to, and they're usually not stuck in the past. It's the ones who only watch like 5 minutes of the title game and act like know everything that are bothersome. Unfortunately the latter are about 90% of the population lol. Can't really blame IU fans for being stuck in the past as that was the last time they were relevant for an extended period. I know it's aggravating though lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT