ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins? Duke 2001 vs UNC 2009

2009 UNC had 2 NBA pros coming off the bench.

The glass would have been the biggest decider in this wonderful match up.

That UNC team really could shoot the 3.

But Duke was an impressive defensive team.

Wayne Ellington would shoot Duke out the game alone.

Talent doesn't equal good team. .

That UNC team could shoot, but Duke was better in that realm as well. Both teams shot 38% from three, but Duke did so with 143 more makes (yes you read that right). That Duke team ended the season as the most prolific 3 point shooting team in NCAA history.

As has been pointed out Duke had some off moments in 2001. In a one off game... who can say.

In a series I'd take Duke to win. I think when all cylinders were clicking they were the better team.

Lol... the Cheats didn't have any "off moments"?

With respect, I just don't think you're remembering that 2001 team correctly. We were an offensive juggernaut. There is NO WAY that Carolina team's defense slows us down. We were better than them offensively, and we were better defensively.

The only way they keep our win in single digits is if Lawson had a monster game. Possible, but unlikely.

Maryland seemed to be the only team that had us (partially) figured out in 2001. They beat us pretty badly during the season, had us on the ropes another time, and were up 23 in the final four. I know we beat them but they gave us fits at times.

If you listen to the podcast on DBR, and particularly Boozer, they felt Maryland had a formidable team, the only one capable of beating Duke. Sometimes you have to look at the quality of opponent to measure how good a team was.

Reactions: christophero
Maryland seemed to be the only team that had us (partially) figured out in 2001. They beat us pretty badly during the season, had us on the ropes another time, and were up 23 in the final four. I know we beat them but they gave us fits at times.

We played them 4 times and the only game they won was in Cameron when Boozer went down. He doesn't get hurt, we beat them a 4th time.

Yes, they were a challenging matchup, but we still beat them by double digits in the Final Four. That result speaks for itself IMO.

We played them 4 times and the only game they won was in Cameron when Boozer went down. He doesn't get hurt, we beat them a 4th time.

Yes, they were a challenging matchup, but we still beat them by double digits in the Final Four. That result speaks for itself IMO.
Truth but we could have just as easily lost all four of those games to them. They were a really good team, obviously, won it the next year. Growing up in md during that time was annoying to put it mildly. Grew some thick skin though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT