ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins? Duke 2001 vs UNC 2009

I wouldn't say "dominate," but I genuinely don't see one reasonable are logical argument that doesn't say that Duke team was better. I'm all ears if there is one.
Well Hansbrough looked remarkably similar to Beaker so he probably scare the Devils off with his terrifying countenance.

It seems that you don't know what that term means.

It means we're not talking about what's transpired since 2001. We're talking about how 2001 Duke lost to 2001 Carolina in Durham and 2001 Duke had the ACC CO-POY and 2001 Duke shared the ACC Regular Season Title, but how 2001 Duke would beat 2009 Carolina. I mean...Laettner had a shitty pro career - Does that take anything away from his career at Duke? I'd be ok with it if that's what you want.

It means we're not talking about what's transpired since 2001. We're talking about how 2001 Duke lost to 2001 Carolina in Durham and 2001 Duke had the ACC CO-POY and 2001 Duke shared the ACC Regular Season Title, but how 2001 Duke would beat 2009 Carolina. I mean...Laettner had a shitty pro career - Does that take anything away from his career at Duke? I'd be ok with it if that's what you want.
Boy there is a lot of drivel to wade through here, but I'll give it a try.

In your perception does one game determine the superior team? The body of work is more definitive in every case. That is even more accurate here, as the teams played three times, with Duke winning the other two by a combined 40 points. Cherry picking one game does not a valid argument make. The fact that 2001 Duke went 2-1 against UNC (who finished the year 6th in the AP rankings) is not a particularly strong argument for their inferiority.

As far as Laettner's career, he played in the league 13 years, made an All-Star game, and was a double-figure scorer for 8 of those 13 years. While they aren't Hall of Fame numbers, "shitty" isn't remotely appropriate (and yes I know ultimately you are just trying to be a dick). In fact, his NBA career was significantly better than any of the players on the 2009 UNC team. I guess they were really shitty.

Boy there is a lot of drivel to wade through here, but I'll give it a try.

In your perception does one game determine the superior team? The body of work is more definitive in every case. That is even more accurate here, as the teams played three times, with Duke winning the other two by a combined 40 points. Cherry picking one game does not a valid argument make. The fact that 2001 Duke went 2-1 against UNC (who finished the year 6th in the AP rankings) is not a particularly strong argument for their inferiority.

As far as Laettner's career, he played in the league 13 years, made an All-Star game, and was a double-figure scorer for 8 of those 13 years. While they aren't Hall of Fame numbers, "shitty" isn't remotely appropriate (and yes I know ultimately you are just trying to be a dick). In fact, his NBA career was significantly better than any of the on the 2009 UNC team. I guess they were really shitty.

Not drivel, facts.

I'm sure if I went on your board talking like this it would go smashingly. I would be welcomed with open arms.
I know I am engaging with him, but ultimately he doesn't want to do anything but be a dick, and should be shown the door. I have no problem with opposing fans, but he has had all this opportunity and has yet to say anything of value.

I know I am engaging with him, but ultimately he doesn't want to do anything but be a dick, and should be shown the door. I have no problem with opposing fans, but he has had all this opportunity and has yet to say anything of value.

Fine...carry on. Enjoy your little echo chamber.

Country Joe doesn't know squat about Duke basketball. Laettner had a solud NBA career. A lot better than hanstravelflopsandgetsfouledalotbutneverfouls. Country Joe is a legit troll who post like he's about 14 years old. Don't think he will be around long. We've seen his kind many times. I always say the best way other than getting them banned is to ignore and not reply. It's hard to do that though when they are this clueless. I'm going to try though. OFC

• Haha
Reactions: toophly1124
I'm afraid you're mistaken. Nothing in the post you quoted as drivel is false:

Again, thanks for playing!!
Oh boy, I think we are entering the space where I am not annoyed, but instead feel a little sorry for you. I think I gave you too much credit when I initially engaged. I think what you are, and what you are intellectually capable of, has become pretty evident.

At no point in this thread has anyone, me included, denied the aspects of what you are saying that are absolute fact - i.e. Battier shared the 2001 ACC POY. What we are debating is the illogical deductive leaps you make from that fact. That is where the embarrassing part comes in - that you don't see that.

I hate iced coffee. I personally think it is shitty, but I don't know if I would call that a "fact."

Reactions: skysdad
No one said they'd dominate. But you are on a Duke message board so you can't reasonably expect completely unbiased answers, and it's not a stretch to say that they could dominate that UNC team, as that Duke team was capable of blowing anyone out, just as that UNC team was.

I am.....they would have bitch slapped that North Carolina team.

Oh boy, I think we are entering the space where I am not annoyed, but instead feel a little sorry for you. I think I gave you too much credit when I initially engaged. I think what you are, and what you are intellectually capable of, has become pretty evident.

At no point in this thread has anyone, me included, denied the aspects of what you are saying that are absolute fact - i.e. Battier shared the 2001 ACC POY. What we are debating is the illogical deductive leaps you make from that fact. That is where the embarrassing part comes in - that you don't see that.

I hate iced coffee. I personally think it is shitty, but I don't know if I would call that a "fact."

No worries. Let me help you...You probably would call it a fact because you have difficulty recognizing and accepting facts. For instance, you think it's illogical to assume that because 2001 Duke lost to 2001 Carolina in Durham, shared the ACC Regular Season Title with 2001 Carollina and didn't have the definitive best player in the conference (read, there were ACC CO-POY) that 2001 Duke might have considerable trouble with 2009 Carolina - a team far superior to 2001 Carolina.

BUT, the truth is @HuffyJB ...Calling iced coffee shitty is NOT A FACT, but instead just an opinion. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I see...But they couldn't win the regular season outright and debatable whether they had the best player in the conference. Makes more sense now that they'd be better than our '09 team.
Maybe because in 2001 the ACC was significantly better than in 2009.OADS were not the norm then.By 2009 the OAD craze was in full bloom and Uncheat was able to maintain their upperclassmen

Reactions: Crest is Garbage
Laettner had a shitty pro career is a myth.He was a eighteen and eight guy and had his first All Star appearance and then ruptured his Achilles in the next off season.He was never the same afterwards but was still good enough to be a solid contributor for seven or eight more years.Not nearly the shitty career you described

Maybe because in 2001 the ACC was significantly better than in 2009.OADS were not the norm then.By 2009 the OAD craze was in full bloom and Uncheat was able to maintain their upperclassmen

Perhaps. Do you think 2001 Carolina was better than 2009 Carolina? I don't. I think Carolina and Duke were clearly better than the rest of the league that season, but I'd have to look.

Laettner had a shitty pro career is a myth.He was a eighteen and eight guy and had his first All Star appearance and then ruptured his Achilles in the next off season.He was never the same afterwards but was still good enough to be a solid contributor for seven or eight more years.Not nearly the shitty career you described

It doesn't really matter. The point I was trying to make was that pro careers aren't really that relevant to the discussion of whether or not 2001 Duke would beat 2009 Carolina.

FWIW, I think Duke '01 was pretty good - not your best team historically, but pretty good. I just don't think they were as dominant as our '09 team. I don't see anyone on your roster that year that would've really bothered us a whole lot. I know some people mentioned Boozer, but we went through Blake Griffin to win it all. No one rolled our '09 team and they rolled just about everyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
I do not care who you are, it was going to be tough for any team to win the game after the emotionally draining win at Maryland that year...

I'm not as confident as others here. Hansbrough would have scored on Boozer, who was never a great defender, pretty consistently. The rest of the Duke team was excellent, perhaps the best starting 5 we ever had, but Lawson would have been a handful as well.

It's a great question because those are two all-time teams.

Of course, in my mind, the 1974 State team takes them both. Nobody, not even Battier, could guard Thompson, let alone Burleson who hung 38 on Len Elmore.

I don't know. Who would guard Battier? Williams? That team won every tournament game by double digits.

I'm not as confident as others here. Hansbrough would have scored on Boozer, who was never a great defender, pretty consistently. The rest of the Duke team was excellent, perhaps the best starting 5 we ever had, but Lawson would have been a handful as well.

It's a great question because those are two all-time teams.

Of course, in my mind, the 1974 State team takes them both. Nobody, not even Battier, could guard Thompson, let alone Burleson who hung 38 on Len

The heyday of college basketball was before Jay's time in the booth. Actually, basketball in general, from about '90 - '96...I doubt we ever see anything like that again.

As has been pointed out Duke had some off moments in 2001. In a one off game... who can say.

In a series I'd take Duke to win. I think when all cylinders were clicking they were the better team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT