ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your 5 toughest players

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
not the best but toughest ever to play at Duke. Here's mine.

1. Bobby Hurley . Seen him take some of the hardest screens and cheapest shots then get up and play harder. There will never be another one and never be anyone to compare to him.

2. Art Heyman. Not just because of the Larry Brown fight but just because he was the toughest son of a gun on the court and every knew it.

3. Kyle Singler. Saw more blood on him than any Dukie that played for Duke. Could dish it out as well as he could take it and with that grin on his face. That's how I remember him.

4. Wojo. Everyone's target. Everyone wanted to knock the crap out of him. He like Hurley just got back up and kept at it.

5. Mike Lewis. A little before most of the posters of DI's time. Mike was 6'8" true center and that was probably stretching it a little but no one and I mean no one pushed him around in fact he moved everyone else out. No one picked on our little guys because they would have to deal with Mike.

I have two guys I need to mention for honorable mention. Chris Collins or "Chrissy" to the troll heels. Remember Collins getting up in matt dohtery's face when he thought he should be part of Duke's bench. Enough said. And this guy is still there and I feel will prove to the basketball world that he is tough this year and that's Greyson Allen. He's gonna get elbowed, scratched, grabbed, punched and even maybe tripped this year. He's a marked man and probably will be watched like a hawk by the refs this year even to a point where one of them will watched him the whole game. I'm not denying he brought this on himself but if he keeps his wits about him and controls his emotion and goes out and let's his talent get retaliation then he moves to the top of my list. OFC

Heyman, Kyle, Shane, Nate, Hurley?

Honorable mention to Jon Scheyer. Yes, Jon Scheyer. Kid was tough as nails.

Roshown, too.

Oh, and obviously Laettner. He should be higher... guy was tough as hell. Also a magnificent prick:) But so was Art.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
1. Bobby Hurley
2. Christian Laettner
3. JJ Redick
4. Grayson Allen
5. Wojo

Would be my five toughest players

1. Bobby Hurley
2. Christian Laettner
3. JJ Redick
4. Grayson Allen
5. Wojo

Laettner was bully, Laettner was a bully. :D:D. As one of my Duke buddies always says " Laettner was an ass hole but he's our ass hole." Enough said and yes he was tough as nails but Hurley didn't take any crap from him at all which made Bobby that much tougher. OFC

Laettner was bully, Laettner was a bully. :D:D. As one of my Duke buddies always says " Laettner was an ass hole but he's our ass hole." Enough said and yes he was tough as nails but Hurley didn't take any crap from him at all which made Bobby that much tougher. OFC
Exactly! Hurley would go right back at him. Lol. Laettner, Like Redick, Allen, and Wojo took so much verbal abuse from opposing fan bases. Grayson will continue into this season I'm afraid with the abuse and the boos! Hopefully that makes him even tougher!

Hurley-- scrappy and gutsy. His dad was tough on him, and it paid off
Laettner--Clutch and mean. We all owe a thanks to his older brother
Battier--Fearless
Singler--Same as Battier
Meagher--A bruiser, just undersized

Carrawell was as tough as most. He took beatings in the post at 6'5. Amaker was a bulldog as well.

If he was here more than 1 year, Justise Winslow would be on everyone's list.

That one year though...wow...something else.

Has a freshman ever had his toughness??

Grayson Allen too

OFC
Love Grayson. But a couple hustle plays in one game (granted, it was the natty) doesn't compare to what Justise did all season. Regularly guarded the other teams best player and regularly shut him down, go back and watch the game at UNC.

When I think of toughness, I think of bashing through screens, jumping through people to finish an And-1, etc.

Mental toughness, yes Tyus was the toughest freshman we have ever had.
Physical toughness, Justise was in a whole different league.

Love Grayson. But a couple hustle plays in one game (granted, it was the natty) doesn't compare to what Justise did all season. Regularly guarded the other teams best player and regularly shut him down, go back and watch the game at UNC.

When I think of toughness, I think of bashing through screens, jumping through people to finish an And-1, etc.

Mental toughness, yes Tyus was the toughest freshman we have ever had.
Physical toughness, Justise was in a whole different league.

Those werent just couple hustle plays by Grayson vs Wisconsin, he laid his body on the line, and did you forget that fearless jam vs MSU??? Come on, that kid was fighting everyday in practice, and I will put everything he did on line in practice (we didnt see) as hustle to keep on working and make K take notice. He had that same toughness against Wake in his "coming out party" too!

As for Tyus his physicality for a small point guard- AMAZING!!! Over and over again at UNC getting POUNDED inside he repeatedly took it to the basket. He even came back from a nasty fall in that game to play after getting fouled hard on a drive....Ask em up at Charlottesville too about his toughness - ask whoever at UVA who was trying to guard him. Hell, ask K!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192 and skysdad
Singler played underneath his first 2 years and battled everyone with a smile on his face. He played with reckless abandon. He's #1 in my book.

Heyman was before my time. I enjoyed saying that!

Mike Lewis and Randy Denton were tough guys.

Hurley, Grayson, Dahntay Jones, Winslow, Scheyer, Zoubek and Carrawell are others that come to mind.

Yes he was. He earned every point and rebound he got. If I was an opposing player I would have hated to guard him and have him guard me. OFC
I loved the way he got under Dean's skin.Still remember him crying about how physically he played D

Hard to really limit it to 5. Duke could probably field a good football team if you went off toughness.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Interesting that most of the suggested players looked like choir boys but played like Marines, all were tough as nails.

Reactions: hart2chesson
1. Bobby Hurley
2. Christian Laettner
3. JJ Redick
4. Grayson Allen
5. Wojo

Would replace Grayson with either Battier, S Williams, or Singler, but the other 4 are dead on. A lot of folks don't see JJ as being a tough player but he and Hurley are the most mentally tough players ever at Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT