ADVERTISEMENT

When Cam breaks out of the funk...

FearTheBeard

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2010
We all know he’s going to do it. He’s too good not to. What it will do for this team will mean more than just Cam breaking his cold spell. After watching the game, I noticed how everyone reacted to Cam hitting the 3 at the end of the first half and any other time he had a good play. You could see the rest of the team was more hyped when Cam had a good play. They’re aware of it. His ability to break his cold spell will elevate the play of everyone. They know he’s one good game away from becoming a lethal weapon on this team. When he gets that confidence, this team is going to be scary good and Cam’s breaking out could be the “thing” that sets everything in motion. Brings it all together.

When (not “if”) it happens, then this Duke team is going to be unbeatable if everything else remains constant. I know a lot can happen, but the potential this team has is as high as I can remember in 30+ years of watching Duke basketball. Enjoy this season! We won’t have many like it as fans.

We all know he’s going to do it. He’s too good not to. What it will do for this team will mean more than just Cam breaking his cold spell. After watching the game, I noticed how everyone reacted to Cam hitting the 3 at the end of the first half and any other time he had a good play. You could see the rest of the team was more hyped when Cam had a good play. They’re aware of it. His ability to break his cold spell will elevate the play of everyone. They know he’s one good game away from becoming a lethal weapon on this team. When he gets that confidence, this team is going to be scary good and Cam’s breaking out could be the “thing” that sets everything in motion. Brings it all together.

When (not “if”) it happens, then this Duke team is going to be unbeatable if everything else remains constant. I know a lot can happen, but the potential this team has is as high as I can remember in 30+ years of watching Duke basketball. Enjoy this season! We won’t have many like it as fans.
Good post. I'm ready for him to bust out as well, once he does it'll take the perimeter scoring load off of RJ and Jack and make them more efficient. We are already the favorites, when he gets it going no other team will stand a chance. I have a feeling this team will go.down as one of our best ever.

game, I noticed how everyone reacted to Cam hitting the 3 at the end of the first half and any other time he had a good play.

It's been said over and over but I really think this is a huge factor in what this team does or doesn't accomplish. Just like RJ's reaction to Zions 360....Just reiterates that these guys are a TEAM.

I agree Beard, Cam is definitely going to turn his shooting switch on, its just makes no sense for him to struggle.

He is going to do and do it soon. May be against Syracuse. May be against Virginia but I can feel it. It’s coming soon!

Reactions: FearTheBeard
I feel like Cam is this years teams Justise Winslow. When it gets it together this team will go to a different time zone.
I was just going to make that comparison. In Justise's case, I think it was influenced by a nagging shoulder injury, but he also went through a slump.

Reactions: Quavarius
I think K HAS to let him come off the bench a couple games to get him out of this slump.. the kid has probably never came off the bench in his life.. it will spark something in him, like it does a lot of starters.. I think we did this with Jon Scheyer & Amile Jefferson in the past and it worked great.. I feel like we may have even did this with Grayson at some point in after his Freshman year...

But something as simple as having him come off the bench could get him going.. hell, coming off the bench might be a great fit for him and he might thrive.. it doesn’t matter who starts the game any ways.

I hope he does breakout. He almost seems like a Tatum type where his game is more fit for the NBA. I feel for the kid right now though.

Cam started the year hot. Back then he was just playing like he always did. My guess as to why his numbers are down from that time is the team has been drifting more towards a system designed to maximize the talents of RJ, Zion and Tre, namely finishing in transition and around the rim. Cam is different than our other stars in that he’s kind of a slow mo player that likes to create his own shot from the perimeter and in space. He’s being asked to rebound, play D at the elbow and initiate much of his offense from the corners. This is a new role for him. I’d rather we use him as the lead scorer in a unit featuring Goldwire, AO, JRob and Bolden, with Bolden setting screens.

Cam is only getting 18 mpg lately. I’d like to see what he can do with the ball in his hands for a 5 minute stretch.

"
Cam is different than our other stars in that he’s kind of a slow mo player that likes to create his own shot from the perimeter and in space. He’s being asked to rebound, play D at the elbow and initiate much of his offense from the corners. This is a new role for him. I’d rather we use him as the lead scorer in a unit featuring Goldwire, AO, JRob and Bolden, with Bolden setting screens.

Cam is only getting 18 mpg lately. I’d like to see what he can do with the ball in his hands for a 5 minute stretch."

This ^^^^

I think K is giving Cam every opportunity to find his game, and I fully support that. Just like Tatum he is taking some time to adjust to the college game and find his role albeit a little bit longer. One third of the way thru the season I am not disheartened. Cam will break thru out and bust out on the scene.

I agree somewhat with the playing time but he is partly not getting more playing time because he’s been picking up lots of early fouls.

With confidence will come composure. He will settle in and be the force we all know he can be. Patience is a virtue.

Alan

I think K HAS to let him come off the bench a couple games to get him out of this slump.. the kid has probably never came off the bench in his life.. it will spark something in him, like it does a lot of starters.. I think we did this with Jon Scheyer & Amile Jefferson in the past and it worked great.. I feel like we may have even did this with Grayson at some point in after his Freshman year...

But something as simple as having him come off the bench could get him going.. hell, coming off the bench might be a great fit for him and he might thrive.. it doesn’t matter who starts the game any ways.

I always defer to Coach K in a situation like this. Every player is different. How you coach one kid might not be the same way you coach another. It’s just like a good manager....you don’t have the same approach with all your employees. They’re different. Thus, they should be managed different.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
If Cam breaks out of it for good, which is better. Zoubs senior year against Maryland or this?

I WAS JUST COMPARING THE TWO, I kid you not! I’m going to say Cam because we NEEDED his 3’s. I think we’d still beat Maryland had Zoub not had a great game!

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Cam, I would like to thank you for inspiring a senior on my MBB team. He hit 1k on a three, has 17 points in the first half (only halfway through), and we are steamrolling a I-20 rival. Excellent...

I think it will happen Saturday against Florida St
giphy.gif

Fearthebeard - can you please create another thread asking when we'll win the National Championship in Basketball again? I feel like you've got some kind of magic here judging from this thread and it happening so soon.

Just finished the game. Had to help a coworker move. Managed to avoid seeing the score.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOO! That’s exactly what Cam needed!

Dear other NCAA Div 1 Schools,

Cammmmmmmmm’s baaaaaaaack! Shits about to get real. You’re on notice.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT