ADVERTISEMENT

What is the biggest reason you decided to start posting on DI?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I lurked for quite a while and enjoyed the insight of the Duke fans on here but was really reluctant to began because I didn't think I could add anything but there were posters like Heyman25, dukiejay, dukehokie, kville and some other guys who actually don't post like rosh and dattier that I wanted to get to know. I tried it out and was very awkward. I remebet once when I put up something really stupid and dj poked fun at me but let me know he was just poking fun.At that time a monster was created. Started posting so much that my wife thought it wascan sddiction and I needed counseling. Turn out it's been a wonderful theropy and stress sessions I could hope for. Would love to hear all of your reasons. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I was a sophomore in high school our basketball team was on a big winning streak and off of a state championship so I signed up at ncpreps.. I started looking around for duke stuff and and found the great dukeupdate.com which was cool and informative.. then found this forum

Reactions: skysdad
Same here, I lurk more than I post but I truly enjoy the threads and I learn more than I offer up for sure. I think it is a great site with great mods and great people offering up great discussion’s except game day threads when Duke is playing bad or they lose. It is truly an honor to post and talk to great fans of Duke that are for the most part respectful of each other. This world does not make sense a lot of the time and the world today is struggling but I still log on here daily and read about the team I love!

thank you all!

I can’t actually remember for sure but i think it was because I was reading the Duke message board on WRAL’s website at the time and it sucked because there were more UNC fans trolling on that board than there were Duke fans discussing Duke basketball.

Watched TDD and DI for a while. DI seemed more my style. Duke won it all in 2010 and I decided to take the plunge. And ESPN got rid of their message board.

I was just out of college and was really getting into following recruiting. I joined here and TDD originally. Posted a lot back then. Then work started getting in the way.

I lurked for a solid 2 years before deciding to post on here. I live in Illinois and love Duke and I have encountered plenty of Duke fans in The Land of Lincoln. I just wanted to post somewhere with other die hard Duke fans. There are few things I am passionate about, Family, Friends, my job, and duke basketball are it. I try explaining it to my friends, but some of them truly do not understand that duke basketball/college basketball is an escape for me from the real world. When people try bringing in politics into the sports world, I shun them out, do not ruin sports for me.

I got only 1 Duke fan friend in real life... and he’s in jail hahaha. Crazy thing is I’ve only met 3 Duke fans my entire life and one was yesterday! Crazy. Was working on his house and he had a set of Duke cornhole boards, and he had me there! “No charge” Haha blah blah yea. Man have I let some turd fans though! ....I think that’s what TURNED me haha into a Duke fan at an early age.

Last edited:
I joined in the early 2000’s. I knew my unit was going to be deployed to Iraq so I was looking for ways to be able to keep up with things back home. I found this board and have been with it ever since!

I knew a guy who worked in the media in North Carolina (still does) that posted on the old Carolina Blue (UNC’s Rivals site at the time) message board. This was about 2002. I started an account as dukiej and posted semi-regularly here and at CB. Then disappeared for a while, forgot my password and couldn’t log in, so I created this profile in 2005 and I’ve been here since.

I had been looking for a good board, but nothing looked right. Then one day I stumbled on this one. One of the first threads I read was by Sky. It was hilarious. Something about a wedding and he was looking for someone to take his place and marry her. I knew this was the board for me. Been hooked, or addicted, ever since. That was a little over 3 years ago.

Never knew about this forum, until my buddy who is a uk fan mentioned about being on Cats Illustrated. He told me there was a Devils illustrated, and then I immediately signed up to talk Duke with other Duke fans!

I started following game threads and lurked for a while. One of my sons is a duke fan, but otherwise I am surrounded by haters, so this place let's me vent, commiserate and celebrate with like-minded fans......those who can't sleep after a big win OR a lousy loss. I also like to follow the recruiting and speculation talk, especially in the off season.

And it gives me something to do while on boring conference calls for work. :)

Alan

I dont follow the recruiting that closely and this site has some great insight from posters into who may or may not be coming to Duke. Plus debating overall college basketball. I also like to celebrate the wins, commiserate over the losses and speculate about the coaching with fellow fans! its a great outlet and mostly in a cordial manner ( most of the time) so I joined for those reasons.

It may be better now but I was TDD for several years, it gradually turned into a duke fans vs duke fans argument, ongoing all the time.
I left and never went back.

The posters...Sky, DJ, Show, Heyman (at the start) and now many, many others. That's what it's always been about to me. I love Duke basketball, and this board is very informative, but I can get nuts and bolts info about Duke at many places, but I can't get the camaraderie, humor (very important to me) and the special feeling of being 'around' some truly fine people that populate this board.

OFC

The posters...Sky, DJ, Show, Heyman (at the start) and now many, many others. That's what it's always been about to me. I love Duke basketball, and this board is very informative, but I can get nuts and bolts info about Duke at many places, but I can't get the camaraderie, humor (very important to me) and the special feeling of being 'around' some truly fine people that populate this board.

OFC

thanks for the inclusion :mad:

thanks for the inclusion :mad:

Pisgah, I honestly don't remember you posting when I first started lurking here (a couple of years before I joined in '09), but I do consider you an excellent poster, and I read almost all your posts when I see them. I've grown to care about many more posters once I became a poster and became more familiar with the individual personlalities of other posters. Posters that I don't agree with much, I don't reply to.
And besides, you're a VSG.:D

OFC

I was working at the State Capital in Raleigh and preparing to leave the area to go to law school and wanted to keep in the loop as far as recruiting, mostly. I signed up for DI, TDD Board and ordered Denny Wuycik's old Poop Sheet Newspaper (Later ACC Journal). Some of the older Recruiting Gurus used to pop in and drop knowledge, pre youtube and insta everything. (Clark Francis, Kurt Oneil, Warren Wilkins) I remember Warren talking about a kid from Roanoke, Cave Springs HS who ended up being pretty decent.

Pisgah, I honestly don't remember you posting when I first started lurking here (a couple of years before I joined in '09), but I do consider you an excellent poster, and I read almost all your posts when I see them. I've grown to care about many more posters once I became a poster and became more familiar with the individual personlalities of other posters. Posters that I don't agree with much, I don't reply to.
And besides, you're a VSG.:D

OFC

Haha! I’m just playing man! I don’t know what VSG is but I’ll take it bahahaha

I did not realize that this forum even existed,discovered it by accident.I lurked for a few months,then decided to jump in,very happy that i did.

Same here. I was just googling Duke stuff back in 05 or 06 and found this site with recruiting info and I was like "Man this Sh** is awesome!". Created my account and was too intimidated to post for a long time but I finally did. I have probably created less than 10 threads in 14 years. I also joined TDD but this one was more of my style.

Lurked for a long time. Really enjoyed the recruiting insight which isn't provided as much anymore. Found myself really enjoying the fact that I had Duke fans to chat with as I find most neutrals tend to root against us, haha.

I came over to this board after SHOW had joined up. The other ACC boards we posted on was dying a slow death and he told be about this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT