ADVERTISEMENT

Can Jeremy accept a lesser role??

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
I do not know when Jeremy is announcing his intentions whether to return to Duke. He could return for his senior year (we're loaded at guard PRESENTLY), play overseas, even enter the portal, etc.

He seems like a sharp young man, and I wish him the best whether he's at Duke or not. I simply think with our crowded backcourt situation, it appears his minutes would be reduced somewhat next season.

For some context I compared Jeremy's minutes to Quinn Cook's minutes 7-10 years ago. I used Q because he was a fairly visible Duke 2 guard also.

I realize it's not apples to apples, but both young men increased their MP each season. Cook averaged 36 minutes per game in '15. Jeremy's minutes have also climbed, to the tune of 33 mpg this past year. I cannot see him getting such PT this year if there are no defections.Sure, some three guard strategy affords him more minutes, but I think Jon really wants Mitch at the 3, Flip at the 4 and a true 5 as much as possible.

Please, your thoughts on Jeremy's PT if he announced he was returning, and our roster stayed intact. We would only add a 5. Btw, heard we reached out to Bandaogo yesterday.

OFC

I think it depends how good Foster and McCain are as freshman. Jon’s job is to win basketball games, and he is going to play whoever gives him the best chance to win. I also think it depends on if we bring in a transfer 5…if we don’t, than we will play some small ball and Jeremy could be at 35+ mpg.

Proctor/Roach/Foster/McCain. That’s 4 guys for 2 spots, though we will play some 3 guard lineups IMO when Mitchell is out or when we go small with Mitchell at the 4.

Hashed out over 95 minutes (40 PG, 40 SG, 15 SF when we go small or Mitchell is out.) A very rough estimate..
33- Proctor
32-Roach
17- McCain
13- Foster

Reactions: hart2chesson
If Duke does pick up a portal 5 the minute break down could be something like this until tournament time when rotation is reduced:

Proctor 27
Roach 27
Mitchell 26
Flip 30
Portal 5 20

Bench

Foster 20
McCain 20
Power 10
Stewart 10
Young/Reeves 10

Just an example and minutes could move one way or another. The ones that would be hurt by Roach coming back would be Blakes and Schutt. I just don’t see a 13 man rotation.

We are forgetting about Schutt and Blakes( although I think one of both hit the portal if Roach returns ). Schutt can play at the sf for brief minutes at 6’5”. Don’t see Duke going to a small ball line up any with Stewart, Young and Possibly Reeves on the bench if Duke lands a portal big man . Foster can also go to the sf for minutes as well and don’t forget about Powers he’s a stretch four hybrid 3/4 type of player .

Yeah I have a feeling if Roach comes back Blakes will hit the portal. Sad to see it if it happens but I would understand because he is an upperclassman. Schutt might stick around and get some minutes. That’s why I mentioned in my post that those two would be hurt the most. But in honesty you don’t turn down Roach coming back another year. Plus we still don’t know if Duke will add a portal 5 yet either. I guess it might be a good indicator if either Blakes or Schutt hit the portal by tomorrow (deadline).

If Duke does pick up a portal 5 the minute break down could be something like this until tournament time when rotation is reduced:

Proctor 27
Roach 27
Mitchell 26
Flip 30
Portal 5 20

Bench

Foster 20
McCain 20
Power 10
Stewart 10
Young/Reeves 10

Just an example and minutes could move one way or another. The ones that would be hurt by Roach coming back would be Blakes and Schutt. I just don’t see a 13 man rotation.
If we don't get a 5 in the portal (starting to look that way), then Stewart is getting more than 10 minutes, and Power will find the floor. I think Flip and Stewart can play together.

I agree Jimbo, I just did my projections based on if we did get a portal 5. There is plenty minutes available for Coach to work with.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I think Jeremy will dictate his playing time with his play. He could prove to be the best perimeter shooter from the 2 guard spot, especially in pressure situations. I want the ball in his hands in those situations.

I want to thank everyone for the feedback and well thought out responses! OFC

The question is, does Jeremy want to? I appreciate all he has done, but he had to be talked into coming back last year. I would love to have him back.

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for the feedback and well thought out responses! OFC
How can anyone respond to that? If Duke's roster did not change at all from last year AND Roach decides to come back, the answer is obviously "no" or his role becomes even bigger. Without seeing how the transfers and recruits fit in, no one can possibly have a clue as to whether Roach's role changes . You can start stacking "if's" on "if's" and finally reach any answer you want. If he does not shoot as well, does not pass as well, does not defend as well, or does not lead as well as any newcomer, or if he does all of those things better, we will know the answer, But without a few scrimmages, who cares about posters' opinions based upon zero obeservations. (guess what kind of a mood I am in.)🤬 OFC

The question is, does Jeremy want to? I appreciate all he has done, but he had to be talked into coming back last year.
Chris, boom that's the bottom line. I think Jeremy's options are somewhat limited by lack of interest from NBA. If he wants to continue hoops career, he could go overseas or continue in college.

In the college scenario, might Jeremy enter the portal?? He could look at the crowded Duke guard situation and take his next year at another school. Roach might be told he would be showcased elsewhere, swing a better NIL deal. etc. It may make for an enticing option. We'll see, as you say it's what Jeremy wants. OFC

Reactions: christophero
How can anyone respond to that? If Duke's roster did not change at all from last year AND Roach decides to come back, the answer is obviously "no" or his role becomes even bigger. Without seeing how the transfers and recruits fit in, no one can possibly have a clue as to whether Roach's role changes . You can start stacking "if's" on "if's" and finally reach any answer you want. If he does not shoot as well, does not pass as well, does not defend as well, or does not lead as well as any newcomer, or if he does all of those things better, we will know the answer, But without a few scrimmages, who cares about posters' opinions based upon zero obeservations. (guess what kind of a mood I am in.)🤬 OFC
Jeez! You sound like me! Congratulations.
OFC

Can’t say the same but I want him back simply to take pressure off the other guards . To me Roach and McCain are similar players just like Foster and Proctor . If he does return I think Blakes bolts which I don’t blame him kid wants to play and is a good defender .
Roach could test the portal but I imagine what ever he heard from scouts was he better become a top notch pg if he wants to see the league and Roach is simply a scoring combo guard . Don’t think McCain or Foster are scared of going against him for minutes .

Its not really a can question. Its WILL Roach accept a lesser role? He's capable of doing it, but his desire to do so is the question.

Hart, are you suggesting that we are cranky, opinionated, never-wrong, occasionally rude, impatient, argumentative, all-knowing, and often clueless? 🤪😁 OFC

I don't know why he would have to take a lesser roll. Roach is and will be the best guard on the roster if he comes back. I love Proctor, but Roach offensively is the better guard IMO. And he will better than Foster and McCain next season... the only thing he would have to adjust to would be laying with 2 other ball handling guards at the same time. But he would get all the minutes he wants.

Reactions: Mac9192
I cannot see how a senior captain Roach would not get 32+ minutes a game no matter how good the incoming freshman guards are. I would hope to see him play more of a 2 guard or the 3rd guard if we go that route.

I still don't think he's coming back.

Reactions: Duke937 and DBM0828
Not guessing. Takes one to know one. OFC
Good DI. I am impressed.
I don't know why he would have to take a lesser roll. Roach is and will be the best guard on the roster if he comes back. I love Proctor, but Roach offensively is the better guard IMO. And he will better than Foster and McCain next season... the only thing he would have to adjust to would be laying with 2 other ball handling guards at the same time. But he would get all the minutes he wants.
I think Jeremy sees a little more competition in next year if he returns. Provided McCain sticks around I see his minutes dipping from 33 pg to a little under 30. (27-28). OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Roach is an interesting case. He doesn't really have to worry about his NBA stock dropping; as he wouldn't get drafted right now. He may not see a role now that Proctor has the ball and we have 2 hotshot guards. But he definitely would have a role if he returns. We would need the freshman guards to be good if Roach leaves.

Roach is an interesting case. He doesn't really have to worry about his NBA stock dropping; as he wouldn't get drafted right now. He may not see a role now that Proctor has the ball and we have 2 hotshot guards. But he definitely would have a role if he returns. We would need the freshman guards to be good if Roach leaves.
Graduating and a graduate year at Fuqua may be worth staying. Who knows how these kids think?

OFC

Once Proctor got going last year, Roach played SG. Not sure what changes. Maybe he gets 5-7 minutes less per game so McCain can get 15 minutes per game in the same way Foster will play 10-12 minutes per game behind Proctor.

If Roach comes back then we are going to have to do some player load management to get those guys minutes. Why I still don’t grt why MgBako transferred. He could have started at PF with Flip at Center and gotten 25 minutes at that position. I would understood Foster deciding to go to Louisville to play for Nolan from a PT standpoint. Out of all the incoming Freshman, he was in the best position to get starter PT and stats.

Reactions: christophero
I don’t think Roach returning scares anyone of the new recruits snd I don’t see him averaging 30 plus minutes if he does .
If these guys truly want a banner they embrace it . To avoid injury again to stay fresh the entire season I wouldn’t want Roach playing 30 minutes during the season . He will be needed much more come March . This is where his experience will be key

I don’t think Roach returning scares anyone of the new recruits snd I don’t see him averaging 30 plus minutes if he does .
If these guys truly want a banner they embrace it . To avoid injury again to stay fresh the entire season I wouldn’t want Roach playing 30 minutes during the season . He will be needed much more come March . This is where his experience will be key
I agree shey. Give the younger guys their minutes, and Jeremy can still get 27-28 mpg. As you say, he will be fresher for the stretch run.

OFC

Once Proctor got going last year, Roach played SG. Not sure what changes. Maybe he gets 5-7 minutes less per game so McCain can get 15 minutes per game in the same way Foster will play 10-12 minutes per game behind Proctor.

If Roach comes back then we are going to have to do some player load management to get those guys minutes. Why I still don’t grt why MgBako transferred. He could have started at PF with Flip at Center and gotten 25 minutes at that position. I would understood Foster deciding to go to Louisville to play for Nolan from a PT standpoint. Out of all the incoming Freshman, he was in the best position to get starter PT and stats.
Probably because Flip will never start at the 5.. Flip is the 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT