ADVERTISEMENT

WARNING: POLITICAL Albany cancels November game due to HB2 law

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mark Gastineau our discussion on the other board was enough. Just so you know I wasn't avoiding your post here.

You and I on on a completely different page politically and socially. We won't change each other's minds. But I want you to know that I do appreciate the conversation and hope that the civility between us remains.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
@Mark Gastineau our discussion on the other board was enough. Just so you know I wasn't avoiding your post here.

You and I on on a completely different page politically and socially. We won't change each other's minds. But I want you to know that I do appreciate the conversation and hope that the civility between us remains.
Right back at you, buddy. Apologies if I seemed too aggressive. Always appreciate a discussion about issues, but I guess we should just stick to basketball. We all get enough of politics in every day life already.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
This is my problem with the left, and the reason they will end up winning on every social issue. They demonize people who disagree with their opinions and stances on issues.

Politically, I'm somewhere in the middle on social issues, and I hate that the middle keeps moving to the left.
When it comes to social issues, liberals/progressives tend to favor the expansion of rights for groups where equity is lacking. In a situation like that, "agreeing to disagree" essentially means allowing the status quo to continue as it is... meaning inequity and injustice continue. I get that not everyone agrees on what qualifies as a civil right, but I don't think it's reasonable to think anyone would just let it go as some difference of opinion.

I want to be careful in characterizing conservatives... what it seems like is that they want to limit others' rights, and that being able to do that is somehow their right. Regarding marriage equality, for example, "redefining marriage" doesn't do the slightest thing to anyone else's marriage. I understand the moral stance, but it's not like conservatives are trying to ban drunken Vegas weddings to a stripper you just met, so it seems rather selective. It's not a violation of your rights that others get to do something.

My religious values are the code by which I try to live my life, and it only matters because I chose it freely. When it comes to voting or advocating for what others are allowed to do, I don't want to force that on others. I do want to force not forcing on others.

Reactions: df64
Just to let you guys know this is just one part of why Heyman25 stopped posting. It has no place on this board. OFC
I disagree, and I think that type of statement is often code for "I don't want to hear about it."
Sports have implications beyond the game. That's what makes pretty much every 30-for-30 so awesome. I have much more respect for guys like Lebron and Melo who want to use their status for justice than a guy like Jordan who was just about making a buck.

When it comes to social issues, liberals/progressives tend to favor the expansion of rights for groups where equity is lacking. .

"...tend to favor the expansion of rights for groups where some perceive equality to be lacking."

. I have much more respect for guys like Lebron and Melo who want to use their status for justice than a guy like Jordan who was just about making a buck.

Yeah, like when Melo was standing up for oppressed criminals in the Baltimore based "Stop Snitching" video?

I didn't start the thread. But I'll certainly praise my alma mater for being on the right side of history.

And if you're not interested in a political discussion, you probably shouldn't click on a thread that clearly entails a political discussion based on the title alone.;)

PS: I also find it interesting that you single out the only perspective praising Duke for being against the law. Speaks volumes.
Right back at you, buddy. Apologies if I seemed too aggressive. Always appreciate a discussion about issues, but I guess we should just stick to basketball. We all get enough of politics in every day life already.

I think most of us would agree with those last to sentences.

"...tend to favor the expansion of rights for groups where some perceive equality to be lacking."
I think I covered that pretty well when I went on to say, "I get that not everyone agrees on what qualifies as a civil right." Further, I was quite clearly representing how liberals view it to someone I think misrepresented it, and somewhat rudely and ungraciously. Then, I proceeded to state very respectfully and carefully what conservatives seem like, as opposed to judging their intent, character, and heart.

There's some irony here, too: I responded to someone claiming liberals try to force their beliefs on others, informing, not arguing, how they see it. And what do you do in defense of someone claiming liberals force their beliefs on others? Force your phrasing on me.

Yeah, like when Melo was standing up for oppressed criminals in the Baltimore based "Stop Snitching" video?
No, I'm not talking about a video from 2004 that Melo, age 20, appeared in briefly and later stated was a joke. I'm referring to comments he made last week, you know, 12 years later? A full 10 years after he distanced himself from it? At the age of 32? As the father of a 9 year old as opposed to being one year removed from college?

Last edited:
I would like to replace that game with going to Albany to play or at a venue of their choice up north so they could make more revenue

I think I covered that pretty well when I went on to say, "I get that not everyone agrees on what qualifies as a civil right." Further, I was quite clearly representing how liberals view it to someone I think misrepresented it, and somewhat rudely and ungraciously. Then, I proceeded to state very respectfully and carefully what conservatives seem like, as opposed to judging their intent, character, and heart.

There's some irony here, too: I responded to someone claiming liberals try to force their beliefs on others, informing, not arguing, how they see it. And what do you do in defense of someone claiming liberals force their beliefs on others? Force your phrasing on me.

I didn't force anything on you. I simply quoted your poast and changed it to fit my perception.

No, I'm not talking about a video from 2004 that Melo, age 20, appeared in briefly and later stated was a joke. I'm referring to comments he made last week, you know, 12 years later? A full 10 years after he distanced himself from it? At the age of 32? As the father of a 9 year old as opposed to being one year removed from college?

A joke? Melo said it was a joke so I guess I'll just believe him. I doubt my employer would be so willing to chalk it up as a joke if video surfaced of me wearing a Klan outfit 12 years ago. Poppycock. If by joke he meant "a poor decision that he made at a younger age and tremendously regrets", then ok. But I tend to think Melo isn't using his status for social justice anymore than he's using it to, as you say, make a buck.

Hopefully we can replace it with a more competitive opponent. Probably a couple teams in this state that would welcome the challenge and exposure.

Reactions: skysdad
Hopefully we can replace it with a more competitive opponent. Probably a couple teams in this state that would welcome the challenge and exposure.
Lets schedule unx in place of Albany. Hell we'll play em at the banner dome. I'd like to hang three azz whippings on them......just a thought.

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I didn't force anything on you. I simply quoted your poast and changed it to fit my perception.

A joke? Melo said it was a joke so I guess I'll just believe him. I doubt my employer would be so willing to chalk it up as a joke if video surfaced of me wearing a Klan outfit 12 years ago. Poppycock. If by joke he meant "a poor decision that he made at a younger age and tremendously regrets", then ok. But I tend to think Melo isn't using his status for social justice anymore than he's using it to, as you say, make a buck.
When I am representing what liberals are doing from their own perspective and not claiming it as anything more than that, and go on to acknowledge respectfully that people disagree on what constitute civil rights, it is pedantic and argumentative to harp on it where I wasn't trying to push anything. I already knew that stance and acknowledged it without judgment in that post.

You knew very well what I was referring to about Melo, and you know very well that it's deflective and petty to bring up something from 12 years ago and renounced 11 (I said 10 before) years ago. If you want to go back in time and withhold forgiveness from Melo on the day in 2005 he renounced it, fine. 11 years after that and you're holding it against a man involved in and concerned about crime and poverty in his hometown that he made a poor decision at the age of 20? That's ridiculous.

You knew very well what I was referring to about Melo, and you know very well that it's deflective and petty to bring up something from 12 years ago and renounced 11 (I said 10 before) years ago. If you want to go back in time and withhold forgiveness from Melo on the day in 2005 he renounced it, fine. 11 years after that and you're holding it against a man involved in and concerned about crime and poverty in his hometown that he made a poor decision at the age of 20? That's ridiculous.

I'm not necessarily holding it against him. But I'm certainly not going to pat him on the back for his social justice gesture at the ESPYs either. The reason I'm not is because based on his past behavior (and I'm not thinking only of his appearance in a gang video), I found his gesture to be phony. But I don't want to single him out. I find most pro athletes to be that way. They're all in it to "make a buck". LeBron, Paul and Wade too. I'm just not buying their motivation as more than their agent telling them what a good PR move it would be. Call me a cynic, I reckon.

Reactions: UNC '92
Not only is it cynical, it's pretty unwarranted cynicism with little to substantiate it and quite a bit to rebut it. Check out his Webby-nominated "Stay Melo." In one episode he goes to the slums of San Juan, Puerto Rico specifically because of the dire need there and to bring attention to it. In another he visits Riker's. He highlights the conditions in West Baltimore. He was a voice for peace when Baltimore rioted following the death of Freddie Gray. He's put his money where his mouth is repeatedly and you want to hold that against him on the baseless assumption he's just in it for a buck? That his agent told him to do it and he doesn't actually care? That's disgraceful.

Yea I'd call you a cynic and that line of thinking seems kind of sad to me.

Why exactly would that make sense? Do you realize that Duke has strongly opposed HB2 from the beginning? Why would we as an institution align ourselves with a law that we, not to mention the vast majority of states, strongly oppose? North Carolina passed moronic legislation, and the repercussions are already being felt. This wasn't the first, and it won't be the last of it either.;)

To me that makes it worse if they know Duke's stance in HB2 is the same as theirs and yet still refuse to play there. With Virginia being such a short drive away they don't have to spend a dime in this state. This hurts Albany a lot worse than DU or the state of NC.

To me that makes it worse if they know Duke's stance in HB2 is the same as theirs and yet still refuse to play there. With Virginia being such a short drive away they don't have to spend a dime in this state. This hurts Albany a lot worse than DU or the state of NC.
It's a statement they're willing to make, so I don't agree that they are hurt by this. However, I do agree that it's a perplexing choice if they know where Duke stands.

I understand the boycotts and all, but I prefer responses like Joe McHale's. He kept a scheduled performance at the DPAC, then donated his entire check from it to a Durham LGBTQ center.

Not only is it cynical, it's pretty unwarranted cynicism with little to substantiate it and quite a bit to rebut it. Check out his Webby-nominated "Stay Melo." In one episode he goes to the slums of San Juan, Puerto Rico specifically because of the dire need there and to bring attention to it. In another he visits Riker's. He highlights the conditions in West Baltimore. He was a voice for peace when Baltimore rioted following the death of Freddie Gray. He's put his money where his mouth is repeatedly and you want to hold that against him on the baseless assumption he's just in it for a buck? That his agent told him to do it and he doesn't actually care? That's disgraceful.

I knew of none of that. I guess he's a swell fellow. But if I'm backtracking on things I've posted in this thread, I'll give you the opportunity too.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...n-contribution-black-issues-greater-perceived

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-michael-jordan-charity-1216-biz-20151215-story.html

http://www.athletize.com/michael-jordan-charity/

http://www.jamesjordanfoundation.com/about-jrjf.html

http://wish.org/wishes/wish-stories...s-200th-wish#sm.0001xmxujldr9fduq4l1jzkbbj828

Last edited:
Since the Lounge is currently out of commission, I will mark this thread as a "Warning: Politics". Let's not make it a habit and turn this into anything but the basketball board where possible. Like I said, I'll be lenient because the Lounge is basically down.

If you don't like the topic, it will be clearly marked so stay away. And of course, regardless of views and opinions, be respectful please. These debates don't have to turn into mud slinging matches. Thanks.

Just to let you guys know this is just one part of why Heyman25 stopped posting. It has no place on this board. OFC

The problem is that the Lounge is essentially dead and there is nothing is as mods can do. If the topic seems unsavory, fight temptation as best as possible and block the thread or ignore it. I will mark this one, but like I said let's keep it to a minimum.

The problem is that the Lounge is essentially dead and there is nothing is as mods can do. If the topic seems unsavory, fight temptation as best as possible and block the thread or ignore it. I will mark this one, but like I said let's keep it to a minimum.
I haven't always posted here frequently. But I think that this is an example of what makes DI a good forum. As long as we all take the inch instead of the mile.

I'm sorry I besmirched Michael Jordan and hurt your fee-fees.

Thank you. I appreciate that. My fee-fees are sensitive and you obviously recognized that and extended your comfort. It's such gestures that have always lead me to the conclusion that you're tops around here, Dat. And I too am sorry I doubted Carmelo Anthony's altruism. He appears to be the kind of guy I'd want my daughter to marry.

Play em in Albany. Then I could go! I think it is important to stand up for others, especially those who are weaker than you or in need..

Reactions: Dattier
Play em in Albany. Then I could go! I think it is important to stand up for others, especially those who are weaker than you or in need..

No way to play in Albany. Sorry df64. I know you would like to see them but if they don't have the courtesy to honor their commitment then let them stay home and play another local college. It's getting to be really silly. OFC

No way to play in Albany. Sorry df64. I know you would like to see them but if they don't have the courtesy to honor their commitment then let them stay home and play another local college. It's getting to be really silly. OFC
and pay for backing out. If Duke bailed, would they have to pay??

Reactions: skysdad
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT