ADVERTISEMENT

WARNING: POLITICAL Albany cancels November game due to HB2 law

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWEc/o95

Cameron Crazy
Sep 7, 2007
Syracuse may be in the same boat. There was an executive order by the NY governor to ban all non essential travel to NC.

Didn't know Syracuse was a private school. Maybe we should reconsider playing in MSG a few times a year.

Does Duke try to find another school to play now that the Albany game is cancelled? I hope Duke can still play Syracuse!

Can they be forced to pay for cancelling the game? I thought when you cancelled you had to pay, or is it just in football? On a separate note, why has there been no chatter about the Tarholes skating on the 18 years of cheating. I thought I saw on DBR that they had been cleared, but , haven't seen it anywhere else.

Maybe we should reconsider playing in MSG a few times a year.
Why exactly would that make sense? Do you realize that Duke has strongly opposed HB2 from the beginning? Why would we as an institution align ourselves with a law that we, not to mention the vast majority of states, strongly oppose? North Carolina passed moronic legislation, and the repercussions are already being felt. This wasn't the first, and it won't be the last of it either.;)

I feel bad for the Albany kids. I'm sure this was going to be the highlight of their year and also a tremendous recruiting tool. The best that can come out of it is a lesson for the Albany kids on the stupidity of grandstanding politicians in both NC and NY (and I'm not taking sides on the bathroom debate other than it never should have been the subject of a state law).

I feel bad for the Albany kids. I'm sure this was going to be the highlight of their year and also a tremendous recruiting tool. The best that can come out of it is a lesson for the Albany kids on the stupidity of grandstanding politicians in both NC and NY (and I'm not taking sides on the bathroom debate other than it never should have been the subject of a state law).
Agreed about feeling badly for the Albany kids losing out on a chance to play in Cameron. That said, the NY response doesn't happen without the NC legislation.

https://today.duke.edu/2016/04/leaders-hb2

DURHAM, NC - Duke University is committed to fostering an open, welcoming, inclusive community that respects each individual. We remain steadfast in our policies of nondiscrimination and inclusion for all of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, patients, fans and visitors.

We deplore in the strongest possible terms the new state law, HB2, that prevents municipalities from establishing laws that protect members of the LGBTQ+ community and others from discrimination and eliminates some economic advancement opportunities for underrepresented communities.

As a result of this law, North Carolina has already suffered damage to its national and international reputation as a leader in the fair treatment of its citizens. The economic and material impact is being felt across the state in many ways, including at universities. Scholars from states and municipalities that have imposed bans on government travel to North Carolina have been unable to travel to Duke to continue vital ongoing research partnerships or attend academic conferences. Prospective students, faculty and staff, as well as Duke alumni planning visits to campus, have voiced concerns about whether they will find a hospitable environment in North Carolina. These developments have the potential to limit the value that Duke and other colleges and universities contribute to the state, namely producing trained graduates and expanding the frontiers of knowledge.

We extend our concern and support to those who have been most directly affected -- the members of Duke’s LGBTQ+ community. We encourage anyone needing assistance to turn to the many support services that Duke offers.

In spirit and in letter, this new law runs counter to the ideals of Duke University -- and, we believe, to those of our great state. We urge a full repeal of HB2.

Richard Brodhead

President

Sally Kornbluth

Provost

A. Eugene Washington

Chancellor for Health Affairs

President and CEO, Duke University Health System

https://law.duke.edu/news/members-d...-faculty-and-administration-call-repeal-hb-2/

Members of the Duke Law School faculty have authored a statement voicing their opposition to North Carolina House Bill 2, a law that they say “excludes members of the LGBTQ community from legal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.” The statement, along with 152 signatures from Law School faculty, staff, and administration, was sent to state legislators and Gov. Pat McCrory on April 21. A letter in support of the Law School statement, written by members of the faculty and staff of Duke’s Sanford School of Public Policy, along with 68 signatures, was also sent to the legislature and Governor.

Statement
We, the undersigned members of the Duke Law School faculty and administration, declare our strong opposition to North Carolina House Bill 2 (HB2).

We value every member of our community and are committed to creating an educational environment at Duke Law School that affirms all students, staff, and faculty and that affirms the lived experiences and human rights of LGBTQ persons. We believe that everyone should live, work, and go to school in a state that does not tolerate discrimination.

We oppose HB2 because it excludes members of the LGBTQ community from legal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, and because it prohibits local governments from enacting nondiscrimination ordinances. Not only does HB2 allow discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, but it also takes away existing rights to sue in state court for discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, and age. North Carolina courts should have the authority to enforce the nondiscrimination laws of our state, and individuals who have been harmed by illegal discrimination should have access to our courts to vindicate their rights.

We likewise believe that transgender persons attending public schools or visiting public agencies should be free to choose restrooms consistent with their gender identity, a choice that HB2 makes unlawful. Local schools, universities, and agencies have been developing thoughtful solutions to these issues and should not be held back in these constructive efforts.

The bias underlying HB2 is hurtful for LGBTQ persons and their families. HB2 also makes North Carolina less inclusive, welcoming, and diverse. Governor McCrory’s Executive Order purports to address criticisms of the law by business and community leaders, but in fact falls far short of correcting HB2’s many harms.

We therefore call on the North Carolina General Assembly and Governor McCrory to repeal House Bill 2 in its entirety.

https://medschool.duke.edu/about-us/news-and-communications/med-school-blog/message-regarding-hb2

Dear School of Medicine faculty, staff and students,

I was saddened and appalled by the North Carolina state legislature’s recent passage of House Bill 2 (HB2) and the Governor’s failure to use his power to reverse its discriminatory provisions. Understandably, HB2 has provoked outrage from organizations and individuals, both locally and nationally. I would like to be explicit about the School of Medicine’s position.

HB2 stands in direct opposition to our principles and mission. We are unequivocally committed to a culture of inclusion, equity and mutual respect within our community and for our patients across all dimensions of diversity, including gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.

Among the school’s many programs and initiatives aimed at ensuring all members of our community are supported, I am proud that our Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisory Council serves as an important educational resource and advocates for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) inclusion throughout all of Duke Health. I encourage any faculty members, staff members or students/trainees who are in need of support or are interested in learning more to connect with this council through their Web site.

While deplorable, the passage of HB2 provides us with the opportunity to show others that at Duke, we reject all acts of discrimination and instead embrace the differences among us. Through our actions and words, we must work together to ensure that every member of the School of Medicine community feels valued, supported and safe.

Sincerely,

Nancy

Nancy C. Andrews, MD, PhD, Dean
Duke University School of Medicine

As a member of the Class of 2006, I cannot be prouder of my alma mater for the position it has taken on this divisive issue.

Well I support it and it's still in place, so good for NC. Shame on Duke.

I just knew politics would get started in this thread. Lord I hate it. And I'm contributing to it like an doofus.

If the school came out in strong support for the bill, would you be posting those articles? Would you stop rooting for Duke?
Thankfully, Duke didn't go that route. And if they did, I'd be ashamed as an alumnus and would stop donating.

Thankfully, Duke didn't go that route. And if they did, I'd be ashamed as an alumnus and would stop donating.

I have yet to have someone logically explain how this bill is as bigoted and narrow minded as the left has made it out to be. What are the actual numbers as far as the people it affects? Why is the majority of the population of our state shamed because they believe men should use the men's room and women should use the women's room? It's nothing but an agenda and another way for big brother to step on the states' rights to enforce their own laws. Anybody who thinks they are making a difference by boycotting our state is kidding themselves.

I have yet to have someone logically explain how this bill is as bigoted and narrow minded as the left has made it out to be
The Duke School of Law explained it quite well. Even if you don't agree on this particular issue, the bolded part should definitely give you pause for concern. And before this blurb is not "leftist," but rather a logical explanation of the ramifications of the law from a purely legal perspective:

We oppose HB2 because it excludes members of the LGBTQ community from legal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, and because it prohibits local governments from enacting nondiscrimination ordinances. Not only does HB2 allow discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, but it also takes away existing rights to sue in state court for discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, and age. North Carolina courts should have the authority to enforce the nondiscrimination laws of our state, and individuals who have been harmed by illegal discrimination should have access to our courts to vindicate their rights.

Reactions: Dattier
Does anyone ever enforce the HB2 Bathroom Rule? Drop 'em lady, you look suspicious!

I have mixed feelings about the rule in general. On one hand, if people actually followed the rule to the T, you would have individuals who had the outward appearance of a female coming into the men's bathroom. Don't think I would be too crazy about that. I would feel very uncomfortable, actually. But on the other hand, the part that is especially disconcerting is where a locker room setting could subject some young girls to the anatomy of the male genitalia for the first time. That's not cool either.

Prospective students, faculty and staff, as well as Duke alumni planning visits to campus, have voiced concerns about whether they will find a hospitable environment in North Carolina.

drama-alert.png

Stop donating? This is my problem with the left, and the reason they will end up winning on every social issue. They demonize people who disagree with their opinions and stances on issues. You think conservatives stopped donating when Duke came out with that statement? You think conservatives won't go to a business because they don't allow concealed carry inside?

The left narrows in on a cause and beats the country over the head with it until they have a majority. Then its on to the next cause. I was listening to NPR the day they announced the gay marriage ruling. They were speaking with an attorney who spent most of his life/career fighting for gay rights. At the end of the interview, they asked him what he's going to do now with his life/career. He paused and stumbled around for a bit, and you could tell he hadn't been asked that, let alone given it any thought. He finally responded, "There's always another cause." Soon after that, all of the headlines are about transgenders and how they aren't treated fairly.

Politically, I'm somewhere in the middle on social issues, and I hate that the middle keeps moving to the left.

tumblr_ne2xgj19sh1rnhnqfo1_500.gif

Reactions: UNC '92
Stop donating?
Yes, I would 100%. Thankfully, as I said earlier, I'm glad my school is on the right side of history on this issue.
This is my problem with the left, and the reason they will end up winning on every social issue. They demonize people who disagree with their opinions and stances on issues
Demonizing people? Or pointing out that the law is unconstitutional on its face? FYI, it's the latter.
You think conservatives stopped donating when Duke came out with that statement?
Duke doesn't need that kind of money.
You think conservatives won't go to a business because they don't allow concealed carry inside?
Yes, I believe some probably would not.
The left narrows in on a cause and beats the country over the head with it until they have a majority.
See, this post is extremely ironic. As I pointed out above, this law encompasses far more than what bathroom people can use. It literally eliminates any chance to file a state court claim pertaining to discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, and age too. But that's not how the NC Legislature spun this issue. No, not at all. This was all about bathrooms when they deceived the public.
I was listening to NPR the day they announced the gay marriage ruling. They were speaking with an attorney who spent most of his life/career fighting for gay rights. At the end of the interview, they asked him what he's going to do now with his life/career. He paused and stumbled around for a bit, and you could tell he hadn't been asked that, let alone given it any thought. He finally responded, "There's always another cause.".
He's right. Our society is FAR from perfect, despite how far we have come.

You can deny reality all you want. That's fine, but that statement is accurate.

And your picture is more suited to something like your coach likening a bad season to an earthquake in Haiti.;)

Seems like you are very interested in getting your political views aired on a sports board. Wish we could just leave political views off this board and just discuss sports.

Reactions: sgrooms
Well NC did what the majority of people in the state want..
I don't think that has been established or that it is relevant either way. We don't decide on rights by majority-rule.

Seems like you are very interested in getting your political views aired on a sports board. Wish we could just leave political views off this board and just discuss sports.
I didn't start the thread. But I'll certainly praise my alma mater for being on the right side of history.

And if you're not interested in a political discussion, you probably shouldn't click on a thread that clearly entails a political discussion based on the title alone.;)

PS: I also find it interesting that you single out the only perspective praising Duke for being against the law. Speaks volumes.

Mark and others shouldn't this be in The Lounge forum? This issue has nothing to do with Duke basketball other that Albany is not going to play in Cameron.
I didn't start the thread, but I agree it should probably be in The Lounge. Unfortunately, spammers have infected that forum and have made it impossible to keep a thread active in it.

Reactions: pisgah101
This whole issue would never have become a problem if Charlotte had not enacted an ordinance stating that people could not be prevented from going to the bathroom of their chosen, not original , sexual identity. I have yet to figure out how it had become a problem. Since Charlotte is a "liberal city", one has to wonder if they did it to goad the conservative NC legislature into doing something like HB2. They probably were pissed that the legislature passed a law preventing cities from being "sanctuary " cities, which Charlotte was one of.
Actually, the law, HB2, only applies to bathrooms in public buildings, Private establishments can have "common" toilets if they so desire. The part that Duke, primarily ,along with a lot of others, is the part where it prevents people from suing in state courts for discrimination based on sexual identity , as well as other things. I think they repealed that part.
Our legislature has always had a history of going over board on laws . The latest is the law , just passed, that will almost assure that you never see a video of a police officer shooting someone. Yes, the video can be obtained , but only after spending much time and money going through the courts and hoping a judge will agree with the defendants.
And again I ask, will Albany have to reimburse Duke for the money they will lose if they cannot fill that space at this late date. They should have too. What is Syracuse going to do about playing sports in NC?? I think someone did say that Syracuse was a private school, but will that matter?
Regardless if how you feel about laws like these, it sure does not help the perception how other states see NC. McCrory should have vetoed both these laws , as they were written. Like a lot of others I was glad to see McCrory become gov. I will not be sorry to see him leave. He has cost this state millions of dollars on lost revenue. Should Charlotte lose the ACCCG or the NBA all star game, or both, I hope they realize it is them that started all this crap.
Hope I am right on most of this stuff. If not I'm sure someone will point it out.

Reactions: tarheel0910
He's probably singling you out because you're the one trying to beat everyone over the head with your views.
At least Duke and I are on the right side of history here.
You encompass every quality I despise from people on the left.
Yeah, equality for all is a really terrible thing.
Pisgah is actually correct in his statement:

"And 51 percent also said that transgender people should not be allowed to use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article69928597.html
Except this law extends far beyond what bathroom people can use. You are conveniently avoiding that reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT