ADVERTISEMENT

VJ Edgecombe

bullettoothtony

All American
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone have any info?

Seems we were leading for a long time but I read on another board that Kentucky is coming on strong and may very well be leading currently.

I’m all for welcoming him but I have no idea where the pt will be. Last I heard was us and St. John’s, not surprised uk is in as well

SB Nation: "Harper commits to Rutgers over Duke in stunning college hoops recruiting decision."
Click bait drama queen SB your table is ready.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Trilly Donavan said this morning his people say Duke is the team to beat for VJ. An announcement could come January 11-15. Let's go!

I think Mitchell, Blakes and Foster back is a nice core with the youngsters. I want the big guy more than VJ. Both would be a crazy class. We are certainly recruiting like Jon expects some big turnover.
I think Blake’s can graduate this year. Wouldn’t be shocked if he does and tries to get a starting job somewhere. Hoping for one more year of McCain

I think VJ is more important. Our guard rotation will be really thin next year and this kid plays more like a CG than a traditional SG. Plus, #5 overall and sounding like he may move up.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Too early in the season to know whether Stewart will come on and make himself into starter material for next year, and if Reeves will ever produce for Duke. If those 2 guys are ready to play major roles next year, then the big guy may not really be needed.

I hope Blakes stays but I would totally understand if he did what Goldwire did. If nothing else, it proves if you work hard and play good D at Duke you will see the court. That will always be an asset; esp. on a young team. Blakes on next year's team would be big. I don't think McCain is coming back.

Doesn't Blakes get a Covid year also, or was he too late for that?

You have to respect a guy who comes in behind a lot of other recruits, works hard, studies hard, and will leave Duke with a degree and the respect of every fan who saw him play.

I just feel bad for Reeves. He just can't get on the court and now he's missed the preseason games where he could have gotten his feet under him.

You have to respect a guy who comes in behind a lot of other recruits, works hard, studies hard, and will leave Duke with a degree and the respect of every fan who saw him play.

I just feel bad for Reeves. He just can't get on the court and now he's missed the preseason games where he could have gotten his feet under him.
Blakes doesn't get that extra year

I think VJ is more important. Our guard rotation will be really thin next year and this kid plays more like a CG than a traditional SG. Plus, #5 overall and sounding like he may move up.
VJ recruitment is a little confusing. Some sites like 247 has us leading for VJ. Rivals has Baylor & Kentucky in a tie for his services. Hes not considering Rutgers anymore.

VJ recruitment is a little confusing. Some sites like 247 has us leading for VJ. Rivals has Baylor & Kentucky in a tie for his services. Hes not considering Rutgers anymore.
This was a topic on this week's "5 Point Play" podcast with @timo0402 and the guys, guest @ConorONeill -

I won't spoil it, but they have it down to two schools. Their prediction comes at very ladder end of show.

OFC

B;akes is a junior. He has a regular fourth year of eligibility next season. Which doesn't preclude him graduating in three years and leaving.

Or graduating in three years and getting a master's at Duke.

Reeves did play a few games early in the season. The official word is that he's dealing with an ankle injury. If he continues to sit he would be eligible for a medical redshirt. He doesn't dress out for games but he's very much a part of the team.

Reactions: jamsession2
Thanks Jim. My feeling about Reeves is he missed the part of the season where he could get some real PT to prepare him for the regular season. Without that, he's really not ready to contribute and he may as well sit out the year.

B;akes is a junior. He has a regular fourth year of eligibility next season. Which doesn't preclude him graduating in three years and leaving.

Or graduating in three years and getting a master's at Duke.

Reeves did play a few games early in the season. The official word is that he's dealing with an ankle injury. If he continues to sit he would be eligible for a medical redshirt. He doesn't dress out for games but he's very much a part of the team.
I'm keeping Blakes. He knows the system and seems like a good locker room guy. His experience is too valuable to let him go elsewhere.

With VJ that gives Jon a lot of flexibility at the 1-3 spot . A lot of the recruits coming in can easily play sg and sf .
You add Schutt coming back and possibly Foster with a year under his belt and that’s a stacked team . Don’t see Mitchell coming back and if he does don’t put it past Stewart to look else where for pt given the other big Duke has coming in can slide to the four especially if we land the 7-2 center .

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
With VJ that gives Job a lot of flexibility at the 1-3 spot . A lot of the recruits coming in can easily play sg and sf .
You add Schutt coming back and possibly Foster with a year under his belt and that’s a stacked team . Don’t see Mitchell coming back and if he does don’t put it past Stewart to look else where for pt given the other big Duke has coming in can slide to the four especially if we land the 7-2 center .
Stewart is giving me Henry Coleman vibes... Not Good!

Power, Stewart, Reeves, Foster and Blakes. Get 3 of those guys back and we are in good shape. Something's gotta give. Hope Stewart can crack the rotation.

Last edited:
Power, Stewart, Reeves, Foster and Blakes. Get 3 of those guys back and we are in good shape. Something's gotta give. Hope Stewart can crack the rotation.
I would think Power is definitely one that will return. After that, I think Foster and potentially Stewart. I think Blakes is gone and I think it's very possible that if we get the 7'2" center, Reeves transfers.

So that gives us Power and Foster as most likely of those names with the possibility of Stewart. I'm good if we get those 3 back.

I don’t subscribe anymore to any premium sites and don’t watch recruiting highlights.

So with that said, someone who has seen Edgecomb in person want to make a player comparison?

Trilly Donovan makes you pay now for his picks. Just saw that. Makes sense, he is so connected and might as well profit from it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT