ADVERTISEMENT

VJ Edgecombe

I think Foster comes back. Roach and McCain I think move on. Proctor will go but he hasn't looked like an NBA guard much this year. But the scouts like him. I imagine Proctor will look much better as the year goes on. McCain and Foster back would be amazing, but that seems unlikely.

I think Duke needs Roach & Foster back or they need to add someone in the portal. Kon & Harris are great but more wings than guards, not sure if they could guard 1’s or 2’s at the college level.

Yeah I think we all see the writing on the wall VJ jumped on the money last minute. Bring back Roach. The question is does anyone waste the time watching his announcement tomorrow and is Coach Scheyer and crew still heading out there? It was supposed to be for VJ.

Last edited:
Timo, if Roach and McCain both leave do you believe Duke will have to hit the transfer portal for a guard? We all know they haven’t had much luck with the portal since it’s started. I just feel Duke will be extremely light at guard next season with Foster, Blakes, Schutt and Evans. Not sure if either Kon or Harris can play that position.

Timo, if Roach and McCain both leave do you believe Duke will have to hit the transfer portal for a guard? We all know they haven’t had much luck with the portal since it’s started. I just feel Duke will be extremely light at guard next season with Foster, Blakes, Schutt and Evans. Not sure if either Kon or Harris can play that position.
My question as well. Gonna be young… again. Im guessing since the staff was going hard for vj they expect some guys are leaving. Next year is the last of this covid bullchit so we’re still gonna see plenty of teams with grown men. I think evans will be really good but has to put some size on

I'm not convinced McCain leaves. He's not exactly tearing it up day in and day out. Why would an NBA team want a guy who plays lights out 50% of the time?

I just feel McCain is at least a year away. What he and his parents think is another story.

I'm not convinced McCain leaves. He's not exactly tearing it up day in and day out. Why would an NBA team want a guy who plays lights out 50% of the time?
See AJ Griffin and Whitehead, who played lights out 20 percent of the time and still left. The only thing that may keep McCain around is his lack of height. NIL only matters if you are not in the first round. He's not on all the mock drafts, but he is late first round on a few I saw. Although NBA draft net does not have McCain listed, so maybe you are right. Interesting they had Proctor in the second round.

Last edited:
See AJ Griffin and Whitehead, who played lights out 20 percent of the time and still left. The only thing that may keep McCain around is his lack of height. NIL only matters if you are not in the first round. He's not on all the mock drafts, but he is late first round on a few I saw. Although NBA draft net does not have McCain listed, so maybe you are right. Interesting they had Proctor in the second round.
I believe Griffin and Whitehead came in with the stated the intention of being OAD. McCain did not. We'll just have wait and let it play out.

My question as well. Gonna be young… again. Im guessing since the staff was going hard for vj they expect some guys are leaving. Next year is the last of this covid bullchit so we’re still gonna see plenty of teams with grown men. I think evans will be really good but has to put some size on
Good questions, I’ll toss it around to the group on the podcast. My initial guess would be no to the portal but obviously it’s too early to tell bc so much is based on what the current guys do. But Jon clearly wanted VJ and that should tell us he is expecting high turnover. Obviously we got outbid by Baylor, bummer and my bad guys, we thought he was locked.

I think Foster is really the key for us. He’s a really poised player and another year here would do wonders for him and us. But guys these days it’s almost always 50/50 on what they do.

I think people are severely underrating the 12th ranked player in the class, Kon Knueppel. Next year we have these guards - Foster (where would he go?), Blakes, Schutt, and possibly McCain or Roach. Plus we are adding Kon, Evans, and Harris. I don't think we need any other guards at all unless we have transfers.

"I think people are severely underrating the 12th ranked player in the class, Kon Knueppel..."

Couldn't agree more. In a few years Don Knueppel could grow into a Luka Doncic kind of player.
Luka:
Kon:

Yeah I don’t think Kon or Harris are guards. Can they play there, maybe but the question would be defense against quicker guards.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t think Kon or Harris are guards. Can’t they play there, maybe but the question would be defense against quicker guards.
Agreed. Neither are particularly athletic.

Dang- this one stings. Just shows no one really knows what a 17-18 year old kid will do. Now need to pray we get at least Foster and/or Roach back or we have a major issue in the backcourt.

I think people are severely underrating the 12th ranked player in the class, Kon Knueppel. Next year we have these guards - Foster (where would he go?), Blakes, Schutt, and possibly McCain or Roach. Plus we are adding Kon, Evans, and Harris. I don't think we need any other guards at all unless we have transfers.
This is why VJ coming was not a concern for me. Nice talent, but we have plenty.

Reactions: sheyduke
Plenty of wings but possibly not many guards. Need Foster and Roach/McCain to come back.
Plenty of guards . Duke needs bigs . You’re possibly looking at Foster, Schutt, Blakes and Kon or Harris can play guard .
Evan’s can shift there too if needed and you move Flag to small Forward if needed. It’s bigs especially if Stewart and Reeves look elsewhere .

Reactions: jamsession2
Plenty of guards . Duke needs bigs . You’re possibly looking at Foster, Schutt, Blakes and Kon or Harris can play guard .
Evan’s can shift there too if needed and you move Flag to small Forward if needed. It’s bigs especially if Stewart and Reeves look elsewhere .
Keep Reeves and Stewart...that's a year of experience. Please allow Reeves to redshirt, bring in the 7'2 kid and make this thing work.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT