ADVERTISEMENT

Top current coaches

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Saw the main board had a little talk of this and I thought it could be interesting. With K and Roy both gone (two of the top 5 modern era most likely) who do you think are the top coaches today?

1. Pitino- dude can coach regardless of what anyone thinks. If I have to win 1 game in next year and all talent is equal I’m rolling with rick

2. Bruce pearl- this prob won’t be on anyone elses 2nd but I’m a big fan and think he’s great at the game

3. Self- I don’t like him and wouldnt want him but two titles at KU when Roy couldn’t do it is impressive

4. Huggins- underrated and never has top talent. Another one that I think is a great basketball mind

5. Hamilton- always has FSU tough and right there

6. Jim Larrañaga- same as Hamilton but Miami instead of FSU ha!

7. Scott drew

8. Kelvin Sampson

9. Bennett- I’ll add him because they’re always solid and win and obviously has a ring but he also managed to lose to a 16 seed..

10. Chris Beard

Overrated-
Calipari, Izzo, and mark few- 3 guys that can’t get it done even though are puffed up as GOATS every single year

Last edited:
Saw the main board had a little talk of this and I thought it could be interesting. With K and Roy both gone (two of the top 5 modern era most likely) who do you think are the top coaches today?

1. Pitino- dude can coach regardless of what anyone thinks. If I have to win 1 game in next year and all talent is equal I’m rolling with rick

2. Bruce pearl- this prob won’t be on anyone elses 2nd but I’m a big fan and think he’s great at the game

3. Self- I don’t like him and wouldnt want him but two titles at KU when Roy couldn’t do it is impressive

4. Huggins- underrated and never has too talent. Another one that I think is a great basketball mind

5. Hamilton- always has FSU tough and right there

6. Jim Larrañaga- same as Hamilton but Miami instead of FSU ha!

7. Scott drew

8. Kelvin Sampson

9. Bennett- I’ll add him because they’re always solid and win and obviously has a ring but he also managed to lose to a 16 seed..

10. Chris Beard

Overrated-
Calipari, Izzo, and mark few- 3 guys that can’t get it done even though are puffed up as GOATS every single year
Pisgah nice thread, and I think you make some really good picks. The guy I really like on your list is Jim Larranaga.

He has a way of constructing a team to run a style of play that generally always keeps his teams competitive. They can be a fun team to watch IF YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THEM, and they've given us enough fits over the years. I will never forget Larranaga leading little known George Mason to The Final Four in an Elite Eight game over UNC, after spotting them 18-1.

OFC

Good thread Pisgah. I think Mark Few is a very good coach. Could (should) have won it in 17. If I remember correctly, the big guy for him, and his point guard, both missed some easy shots down the stretch. The coach can't shoot for them. Plus, the holes caught a huge break when Meeks had his big paw obviously out of bounds while having a hand on the ball. This was very late in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

Few has made a nobody school a top tier team.

Good thread Pisgah. I think Mark Few is a very good coach. Could (should) have won it in 17. If I remember correctly, the big guy for him, and his point guard, both missed some easy shots down the stretch. The coach can't shoot for them. Plus, the holes caught a huge break when Meeks had his big paw obviously out of bounds while having a hand on the ball. This was very late in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, the refs blew that call too. That changed things in that game, late.

1 hour, 29 minute mark. Absolutely missed.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Izzo's won a title and been to a bunch of final fours and Few has been to 2 finals in 5 years. I wouldn't put Pearl and Hamilton and the Miami coach above them. Few does need to win a title but they are a contender every year. I do think those guys you listed are good coaches. I would put Boeheim on the list. Certainly Bennett at Virginia. He lost to a 16 seed but they won it all the next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson

uugghhh...looking back at the video from 44, def blown call, but that move by Hicks after and the big block by meeks.....dangit!!!!!!!!!

I like Pisgah's list but I am the only one here who disagress about Calipari. He gets OAD's to play defense which is something Coach K struggled with. He may not be much of an X's and O's guy, but his guys pay attention to him and he gets them to play hard. I'd put him near the bottom of the Top 10.

Another guy who I don't like but he's a good coach is Buzz. If he'd only stay off the d--n court.

I used to really like Rick Majerus but he left us way too soon.

I'm a Huggins fan also. I like coaches who get their guys to play super hard to the end of every game.

Zags blew that game. Their center missed a bunch of lay ups. Jay Wright was great I forgot he retired. He would be my number one if he stayed.. i always remembered Majerus's quote "we are a great outside shooting team but unfortunately our games are inside."

Zags blew that game. Their center missed a bunch of lay ups. Jay Wright was great I forgot he retired. He would be my number one if he stayed.. i always remembered Majerus's quote "we are a great outside shooting team but unfortunately our games are inside."
I’d put Bennett and Beard higher. To get players to buy in defensively these days is impressive. I wouldn’t penalize Tony too much for losing to a 16 when we’ve lost to Lehigh and Mercer. Mark Few has basically built a national power from scratch so I’d have him around 4 or 5. A good thread pisgah! Thanks

Good thread, I agree. The only question I've always had about Few is why he didn't take a big time job. I know Gonzaga could never go to a Big 5 conference because of the absence of football, but one would think that he would want the challenge of better conference competition. However, what do I know? Maybe Gonzaga is the most beautiful place on the planet and he lives the good life there.
OFC

I like Pisgah's list but I am the only one here who disagress about Calipari. He gets OAD's to play defense which is something Coach K struggled with. He may not be much of an X's and O's guy, but his guys pay attention to him and he gets them to play hard. I'd put him near the bottom of the Top 10.

Another guy who I don't like but he's a good coach is Buzz. If he'd only stay off the d--n court.

I'm a Huggins fan also. I like coaches who get their guys to play super hard to the end of every game.

good points on cal! And I didn’t even think about Buzz.. I don’t like VT but wish he would have stayed for the good of the conference

I think this is a big season for Cal. The fanbase is down on him, but the early word is Kentucky could be very good. They were a popular final four pick last year, but had that bad loss.

I want to "like " this twenty times. Calipari is a great defensive coach. The offense is rudimentary but that's okay

Reactions: sheyduke
good points on cal! And I didn’t even think about Buzz.. I don’t like VT but wish he would have stayed for the good of the conference
Buzz is fascinating. Very pleasant. He can't sleep. He goes to Waffle House at 4am just to talk to people. And he is afraid of viruses. Makes Waffle House an odd choice. He douses his players with alcohol gel before huddling

I think when it comes to Few, he is in a place like K was. Why leave where your well respected and have got players to buy into your system . Never been a bog fan on Cal. He is a good defensive coach like Ged said but his player development has always had me guessing .

Reactions: geddoughton23
Buzz is fascinating. Very pleasant. He can't sleep. He goes to Waffle House at 4am just to talk to people. And he is afraid of viruses. Makes Waffle House an odd choice. He douses his players with alcohol gel before huddling
Can’t sleep? It could have something to do with the way he chews Nicorette 5 pieces at a time. I won’t go into great detail as a recovered nicotine addict, but it’s safe to say he disregarded the instructions if he read them at all. I went to the Vt game in Tally and he kept a ten piece sheet on the scorers table. He went through two sheets the second half. Someone behind us yelled out “ Go ahead and smoke a cigarette. We won’t tell anyone!” He’s a cool guy but wired af

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT