ADVERTISEMENT

Time to teach this team 2 or 3 set plays.

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Even the Nets and the Warriors have set plays for Durant and Curry to get off shots. Don’t know the over/under on passes each possession before getting off a shot but I would guess it is under 2.
It would be nice to see an occasional screen for Baker to free him up for a 3. Duke played a great game for 36 minutes but their youth showed up for the last 4.

I think Coach K runs some set plays ("horns" being one of his favorites) but he used to run a motion offense and that seems to have disappeared. When the team gets a little tired like last night, there is very little motion going on. High pick and roll, and then iso ball.

I'll have to go back and look at some of the old Battier games to see if I'm correct or am misremembering.

Reactions: Mpm277
While I absolutely agree that we need to run more sets, I don’t think Joey needs to be shooting. At all.

Having said that, when is the last time K has ran a bunch of sets? I miss those teams where all sorts of screens and cuts were taking place on offensive. Imagine if we had ran anything for Zion. Like, anything. Dude was unstoppable and we did nothing to help him succeed in a game. It was allow RJ to do whatever he wanted, and if he doesn’t score, Zion will clean up.

I really hope Jon will run a more structured offense.

Watching how the Zags moved without the ball, made the extra pass and got easy buckets at times was a good example of what we could do if we were more motion orientated at times...we won that one but at times they showed how easy it is to score if you move and cut

Reactions: ioliva and Liftee
I dont think getting Joey the ball should be the primary go to when the offense begins to stall. It takes to long to get his shot off. Compare his release time to someone like Ahrens from last night. He has a lightening quick release and can get it off with ease coming off of an off ball screen. Joey is much more of a set shot shooter, that is why the majority of his shots come off of wide open looks or when he does the pump fake and side step shot. Hard to draw up plays to get consistent open looks for a shooter like that.

I do think there should be some more structured offense when we begin to stall. But my primary focus would be running sets to get Paolo the ball low on the block. Take advantage of his size and strength down low. That should be the go to when the offense begins to stall.

Reactions: Liftee
The problem is you don’t get Zion, RJ, etc with a more “structured “ offense. There’s too many position-less players who can play multiple positions who want to showcase their position-less talent and not be handicapped to one position during their 1 year audition to be set for life the rest of their lives. That’s the problem!😂😂😂

The problem is you don’t get Zion, RJ, etc with a more “structured “ offense. There’s too many position-less players who can play multiple positions who want to showcase their position-less talent and not be handicapped to one position during their 1 year audition to be set for life the rest of their lives. That’s the problem!😂😂😂
So true. Many top recruits come to Duke because of the freedom they are given. I’ve seen it cited in many interviews.

Reactions: IFaZe
We forced way to many shots in the second half. And, we forced them early in the shot clock with minimal ball movement.

If we have to defend a good team for 20-30 seconds every posession and they only have to defend us for 10 - 15 seconds we will be more tired, be in worse foul trouble, get worse shots, and be much more likely those a game we should not.

With the 11 point lead and 10 minutes to go, they never go on that run if we force them to bust their butts to defend us every possession. Same thing when we led by seven with the ball with 4 plus minutes to go.

I think Coach K runs some set plays ("horns" being one of his favorites) but he used to run a motion offense and that seems to have disappeared. When the team gets a little tired like last night, there is very little motion going on. High pick and roll, and then iso ball.

I'll have to go back and look at some of the old Battier games to see if I'm correct or am misremembering.
Yup. I miss that old motion offense. Preach

When Jon takes over hopefully he’ll get more motion and pick and roll. Sets screw this iso bs.

Even the Nets and the Warriors have set plays for Durant and Curry to get off shots. Don’t know the over/under on passes each possession before getting off a shot but I would guess it is under 2.
It would be nice to see an occasional screen for Baker to free him up for a 3. Duke played a great game for 36 minutes but their youth showed up for the last 4.
Two or three? Let’s start with one and go from there

Duke seems to often score on set out of bounds plays. Got to think they can do the same thing in their regular offense.

Reactions: Liftee
The younger guys seem to go into iso offense . When Duke moves out he ball the offense is hard to guard but when it settles for attacking the basket every team will simply pack the paint. I don’t think it becomes hard for opposing teams to come up with a defensive game plan against Duke especially when jumpers aren’t falling

The younger guys seem to go into iso offense . When Duke moves out he ball the offense is hard to guard but when it settles for attacking the basket every team will simply pack the paint. I don’t think it becomes hard for opposing teams to come up with a defensive game plan against Duke especially when jumpers aren’t falling
Don’t know how this season will unfold, but if we don’t move the ball, our chances to cut down the nets will go down, IMO.

If Duke moves the ball and hits jumpers they are hard to beat but when your offense is simply attack the basket and not dish out they are easy to beat.

Reactions: KDSTONE and Mac9192
I'm sure we have plays but maybe the younger player do not like running them? It takes patience to run plays. Our freshman over the past few years seems to think they can take their guy off the dribble at will. Maybe without a great playmaker this happens.

I'm sure we have plays but maybe the younger player do not like running them? It takes patience to run plays. Our freshman over the past few years seems to think they can take their guy off the dribble at will. Maybe without a great playmaker this happens.
This would be on the coaches period. If there are set plays that aren’t being ran then who’s in control of the team? You get taught to run set plays in middle school.

Reactions: christophero
Duke has a motion offense that encourages players to run that curl and offers flexibility when driving the ball. That is probably attractive to recruits. We can get away with it most of the time, but when a team is on to us our offense can grind to a halt. Good outside shooting will help as well, but we haven't that consistently this year.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke has a motion offense that encourages players to run that curl and offers flexibility when driving the ball. That is probably attractive to recruits. We can get away with it most of the time, but when a team is on to us our offense can grind to a halt. Good outside shooting will help as well, but we haven't that consistently this year.
Bad thing, if we move the ball more the shots become open but we have to hit them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT