ADVERTISEMENT

Rule changes for this year

kwyjibos13

All American
Nov 24, 2012

For charge/block, can we stop with the block for a defender not in perfect legal guarding position but the offensive player drives with no control whatsoever and is rewarded?

Was the flagrant foul rule put in in part to the incident between Flip and UM early in the ACC Championship game?

The airborn TO rule is a reversal to how it used to be. And i do not necessarily like using TOs to try and save a possession (Cheats can afford to do it. They will not use them anyway). Didn't Duke use 2-3 TOs to try and keep or gain possession of a loose ball in the 1998 loss to UK? If we would have had one more opportunity to call timeout durink UKs comeback. Also, didn't L'Ville use one or two timeouts to save possession during our comeback in 2019? Would Mack taking a turnover and saving the timeout made a difference?

I also wonder how many times in football, especially, using a timeout to avoid a delay of game is more detrimental than the five yard penalty.

Should be two flagrant ones and goodbye.

I do not mind more jersey numbers, perse, but we had a hard enough time with 0-5 from officials in D3...

Reactions: Devilinside
"The NCAA also ratified a number of other rule changes after voting on them this week that will allow players for the first time to wear any number between 0 and 99, which was approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel. For decades the NCAA has restricted two-digit jersey numbers beginning with 6, 7, 8 and 9."

How will the refs signal these high numbers? I assume they'll want to standardize it to avoid mistakes.

Reactions: Devilinside
Refs (and announcers) couldn't get the previous charge rules straight. Is there any reason to think we'll see more consistency under the new rules? Will it be easier to see violations, for example?

"The NCAA also ratified a number of other rule changes after voting on them this week that will allow players for the first time to wear any number between 0 and 99, which was approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel. For decades the NCAA has restricted two-digit jersey numbers beginning with 6, 7, 8 and 9."

How will the refs signal these high numbers? I assume they'll want to standardize it to avoid mistakes.
How do NBA refs do it? If I were designing the system from scratch, I'd say they indicate the # w/ one hand, one digit after the other. Zero would be a closed fist and required before all single-digit numbers. Digits 6-9 would use both hands. I've never understood why this was an issue.

I love this change. Next, could we please categorize numbers by position, like in football? Like, centers and power forwards are the linemen of basketball and should wear numbers 50-and-up? There is no world where Jah and MP2 should be wearing single-digit numbers. Zion should have had a three-digit number, for that matter. Stretch 4s could wear numbers dipping into the 40s and 30s. Wings could wear numbers in the 20s, 30s, and 40s, but if they sometimes play the 2 or/and shoot a lot of 3s, they should be limited to the 20s and 30s. Point forwards could expand into the tens/teens, from 10-49, but not single digits. Combo guards, point guards, and shooting guards get 0-29. If they are in a system where they play three guards and they defend other teams' small forward, they can go as high as 35. I can upload a Venn Diagram of this I've been perfecting over the last 13 years, if you want. Its original working title was "Josh Hairston wearing #15 makes my eyes bleed."

I like the change on the block/charge call as it seems like every call in college basketball is a charge. I also like the ability to review goaltending at the media timeout.

However, the biggest fix the NCAA needs is to get better officials.

Ear plugs for refs so they wouldn't be so influenced by home court crowds would be a big improvement to me. I'm tired of home teams getting such an advantage. I would even be OK with a more even whistle in Cameron if it meant we wouldn't be hosed at Va Tech/UVA/The Dump/FSU.

How about just FN consistency ((throughout))) ! the damn season. This lets let them beat and bang one game, then the next you can’t blow on a player, is crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT