ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else noticing this similarity to the 2010 team?

Mar 9, 2016
One thing I remember about the 2010 team that Jon played on that this team is successfully duplicating is the rebound kickout and I love it. I hate when a big gets a rebound and thinks it is a given that they supposed to go back up with it and try to score rather than navigating their surroundings first. It seems like 50+ percent of the time they end up just throwing it at the goal hoping to draw a foul. Zoubs and Lance Thomas were not great leapers and were masters of the kickout for 3. Derick Lively who can jump out of the gym is a great leaper but a has no touch around the basket. I think Jon has been teaching both Livley and Ryan Young to both look for the kickout first and they are doing a great job with it. Flip on the other hand seems to have the green light to choose what he thinks is best. If we can hit a decent % of these kickouts and limit turnovers I think we can win it all because our defense is better than any of our recent freshman dominated teams.

I did notice that about 2/3 of the way through the 2010 season we started doing that. Which is good, because Lance Thomas would get a rebound, go straight up, and get blocked almost every time. I do see this team doing it. They will need to shoot better when we play elite teams, as those scoring droughts could be our undoing.

The 2010 team is my favorite Duke team of all time. I love our group now; this team is not close to being as efficient on offense as the 2010 team was. 2010 was 1st in offensive efficiency and 5th in defensive efficiency on Ken Pom. 2023 is 64th and 27th. So, as great as it would be to see this group win it all, they're not going to Houston next month. Sure, there are similarities in how we rebound and defend. But 2010 had three seniors and two juniors as the starters. Jon, Nolan, and Kyle were the big three on offense.

We don't have that consistency. I'd love to see us finish the year on a 15-game win streak, but it's not happening. Suppose this group returned for next season, which is not happening. In that case, I could see a potential title win. Making the ACC title game and/or winning it and the Sweet Sixteen is the ceiling for this group. Anything after that is gravy. I'd love to be proven wrong, and this team wins it all. But we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect a title this year. ACC title, sure, but I don't see a National Title for this group.

Last edited:
We are playing well. But minus Whitehead becoming a stud I doubt a final four is in the cards. And I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Exactly. I think we had a good regular season, we're peaking at the right time, and I'd love to see us make a run. I'm not sure we have the offensive horses to make that run.

It's hard to tell. There isn't a legit top 10 team in the ACC this year. So while our run had been great, I wonder if we have a false sense of security. Esp. if we draw a Baylor/Alabama/Houston type team. The overall athleticism in the ACC seems a bit down.

Hope we aren’t jinxing this team. I’ll hold off comparing them to any other team unless we make a deep run.
There's no "we" just a poster from another board on here starting a thread to bait people into something. I am sure the long game is that they'll come back and talk shit if or when we lose. First posts like this never make me feel like they're real Duke fans. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. No one else is saying this group is anywhere close to being like 2010. Read mine and Chris's posts—just the thread starter.

Reactions: christophero
It's hard to tell. There isn't a legit top 10 team in the ACC this year. So while our run had been great, I wonder if we have a false sense of security. Esp. if we draw a Baylor/Alabama/Houston type team. The overall athleticism in the ACC seems a bit down.
As I said, I don't think we're a FF or title team. No false sense of security when you know the team isn't a contender. Could we get hot and catch some breaks? Sure. But I like to live in reality. This is a good team. Jon has done a remarkable first-year job getting what he has gotten out of this group with all the injuries and adversity they've faced. I'm happy with the regular season. Now, an ACC title is within our reach. That, I think, is tangible. A national championship is not.

There's no "we" just a poster from another board on here starting a thread to bait people into something. I am sure the long game is that they'll come back and talk shit if or when we lose. First posts like this never make me feel like they're real Duke fans. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. No one else is saying this group is anywhere close to being like 2010. Read mine and Chris's posts—just the thread starter.
Not trying to bait anyone and not trying to compare this team overall to 2010---Just pointing out that our bigs are kicking the ball out rather than trying to go back up with it which leads to a much more efficient outcome just like 2010. I think Jon is teaching them to do it. And remember, 3 counts more than 2.

Let's win a couple games in the ACC tournament. That would get us to a 5 seed maybe.

Then we take each game by itself. Hope that we can beat teams that are about at our level and find ourselves in the Sweet 16. Maybe we'll get a couple breaks on upsets of top teams and get ourselves a St. Peter's type matchup.

We just have to continue to improve and like Chris says, maybe Whitehead will find his stride and Procter and Roach will find the shooting groove.

I have grown to really like this team.

It is hard for me to watch Jason Tatum score 60 in the NBA, it just makes me wonder why we couldn't escape the first weekend. That is the price of being one and dones. They only have one year and have to fit in a whole career in one year. Its boom or bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
It is hard for me to watch Jason Tatum score 60 in the NBA, it just makes me wonder why we couldn't escape the first weekend. That is the price of being one and dones. They only have one year and have to fit in a whole career in one year. Its boom or bust.
I have the same problem Chris, TRUST ME. Tatum seems to conquer all and I wonder the same thing. Despite an unusually hard opening draw, that team(which won the ACC TOURNEY playing 5 straight days), was really talented and couldn't make the SWEET 16. Baffling. Also puzzling as well as Banchero has played this year, along with Williams, Griffin-Duke couldn't get number six last year.

It's the price of Russian Roulette with one and done, "boom or bust" as you referenced. Those same guys come back this year, and I am convinced we cut the nets down. Same deal with two or three other classes.

OFC

I'd gladly take a sweet 16 loss if it means we get Mitchell and Proctor back. But they looked pretty good the last few games. A lot of scouts were probably watching Proctor, Mitchell, Lively and Flip against UNC. I imagine Proctor and Mitchell will soon appear on mock drafts.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If we could shoot the ball just a little we’d be straight. This team is one of the the worst I’ve sever seen at DUke

Similarities: 2010 and this team are huge. Elite rebounding teams, especially on the offensive end. Both teams great on defense.

Differences: 3 point shooting, I don’t have the numbers but 2010 felt like every big 3 went in. The 2010 team never went on 5 minute scoreless droughts which 2023 still does every game.

I had to create a new account as my previous one was locked up. Couldn’t figure out how to change my password. I’m a technology dumb dumb.

Similarities: 2010 and this team are huge. Elite rebounding teams, especially on the offensive end. Both teams great on defense.

Differences: 3 point shooting, I don’t have the numbers but 2010 felt like every big 3 went in. The 2010 team never went on 5 minute scoreless droughts which 2023 still does every game.

I had to create a new account as my previous one was locked up. Couldn’t figure out how to change my password. I’m a technology dumb dumb.
Don’t even have to look at the numbers. Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Dawkins. Clearly superior shooting to this years team.

Don’t even have to look at the numbers. Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Dawkins. Clearly superior shooting to this years team.
Checked it out of curiosity:
Scheyer 38.3
Smith 39.2
Singler 39.9
Dawkins 37.9

Not too shabby. Shot 38.5 as a team.

Also:
Miles Plumlee 100 (1-1)
Lance Thomas (0-0), despite making good $ on 3s in NBA

Someone on Twitter posted that this team had similar pace of play to two recent teams: 2010 (Natty) and 2014 (Round of 64).

Their pace reminds me a bit of the Jabari Parker team. We do defend better this year. I actually like that team. We were just weak at the 5.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Their pace reminds me a bit of the Jabari Parker team. We do defend better this year. I actually like that team. We were just weak at the 5.
I saw that team live twice in that season. Both times were in Greensboro; I watched them destroy Elon on New Year's Eve and then get beat in the ACC championship game against UVA later in March. That team could score but couldn't defend worth a shit. What did them in was no consistent 3rd option on offense, the rebounding was suspect, no 5, and a defense that couldn't have stopped most people on our board. At least the team we have now can play elite defense at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT