ADVERTISEMENT

Take a Deep Breath, Duke Fans. It's going to be OK.

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Agree with you how can team with that much talent not make final 4 beat by bad Michigan state team. Starting wonder if k will ever win another championship.

@Rocketman101, I'm going to pick on you just a bit, but don't take it personally lol - I've seen many comments like this lately, yours just happens to be my example.

I don't get comments like this. Duke hasn't had a start like this in almost 40 years. Instead of looking at it by questioning Coach K and whether or not he'll win another championship be reverent and understanding to everything these players have gone through, continue to go through and hope for their safety and well being - and I don't just mean Duke.

Long time Duke fans remember this national championship frustration from fans about 4-5 years after the last one. After the 94-95 season, I can remember Duke fans thinking we'll never return to form, Coach K's best days were behind him and the tower was collapsing. What happened? Well, we all know, but low and behold, we were back in the natty four years after and won it six.

Then again after 01 championship. Blue Devil nation was good for 4-5 years, until the decline in play from the 06-07 season and the subsequent couple seasons that followed. Fans and pundits were again guessing the game has passed Coach K....I bet you know where this is going?

WE HAVE THE BEST COACH ON THE PLANET. He adapts, he overcomes, he faces challenges head on and I have absolutely no doubt Coach K and his staff and players will bounce back (maybe yet this year) from this subpar start. Is Duke going to win it all this year? Not likely. Are we capable of coming together, making the tournament and winning a game or two? Absolutely.

I'll end it with this. We're all so used to winning ALL the time, when we go 5-4 to start the season, it's cause for great concern and frustration. But we still have a whole lot to be thankful for. So instead of choosing the glass half empty approach to all of this, give Coach K and the staff the benefit of the doubt. I think he's proven he can coach a bit, so trust the process and maintain your loyalty and support. This Duke team is just experiencing a road bump.

After all, if nothing else, hasn't Coach K earned enough built up credibility over the years that supporting through this tough time instead of searching for ways to bring the team down is the least we can give them? I get frustrated watching, I HATE losing - but all things in perspective.

Last edited:
@Rocketman101, I'm going to pick on you just a bit, but don't take it personally lol - I've seen many comments like this lately, yours just happens to be my example.

I don't get comments like this. Duke hasn't had a start like this in almost 40 years. Instead of looking at it by questioning Coach K and whether or not he'll win another championship be reverent and understanding to everything these players have gone through, continue to go through and hope for their safety and well being - and I don't just mean Duke.

Long time Duke fans remember this national championship frustration from fans about 4-5 years after the last one. After 91/92, I can remember Duke fans thinking we'll never return to form after that season, and low and behold, we were back in the natty four years after and won it six.

Then again after 01 - the decline in play from the 06-07 season had fans and pundits guessing the game has passed Coach K....I bet you know where this is going?

WE HAVE THE BEST COACH ON THE PLANET. He adapts, he overcomes, he faces challenges head on and I have absolutely no doubt Coach K and his staff and players will bounce back (maybe yet this year) from this subpar start. Is Duke going to win it all this year? Not likely. Are we capable of coming together, making the tournament and winning a game or two? Absolutely.

I'll end it with this. We're all so used to winning ALL the time, so when we go 5-4 to start the season, it's cause for great concern and frustration. But we still have a whole lot to be thankful for. So instead of choosing the glass half empty approach to all of this, give Coach K and the staff the benefit of the doubt. I think he's proven he can coach a bit, so trust the process and maintain your loyalty and support. This Duke team is just experiencing a road bump.

I want to share in your optimism K-Ville. My hope is this team finds an identity, wins enough games to make the the big dance, and wins a game or two while there. I'd be happy with that from this group. The effort is there, they're just not collectively putting it together right now. I don't think this team is as bad as the '95 team as some have stated. I think the pandemic, lack of consistent game play, and Jalen's injury hurt this group. Let's hope they get over the hump here and soon.

Reactions: Liftee
This year sucks, I'm just happy to be playing games to be honest. At this point, I just want to make the tournament, then however it plays out I'll be fine. We won't be down for long though, next year Duke should come in as the #1 overall team in the country and clear favorites, we "could" have everything.

For those worried that we will be too young and inexperienced (gonna start 2-3 freshman), we should have a SO Roach, SO Brakefield and a JR Moore for sure, hopefully a SO Steward too. Not to rag on some of our experienced guys of the past, but those are 4/5 star names that we will have around next year. Those guys are much better than the Jack White's, Goldwire's (I love him), Delaurier's, O'Connell's, and Matt Jones's of the world. Our "veterans" next year are future NBA guys.

Getting Baldwin to commit seems to be the next thing to happen to set us up to win it all next year, but I'll be honest, I don't think he's crucial. With Banchero/Griffin, plus our returning guys, that is PLENTY. Baldwin could even be overkill, especially if Steward is back.

Guess this is my long-winded way of saying I'm still happy because I see this year as a bridge-year to the title next year, the same way 09 was for 10.

Actually this is what we go through every January. We always have a slump in the middle of January every year. This year it just so happens we barely played games leading into January. Even in 2015 we had that January where everyone panicked. It happens

The yearly rebuilding has taken a toll on the program in my view. Uncertainty and unexpected early exits means that we have to start from scratch each year. New team, new identity, but still high expectations. Unfortunately, we have moved from the traditional basketball with PG/Center/PF type roles to a positionless NBA style. Personally I don't see that working in college, especially with the roster turnover we have each year. It takes time to learn your role and by then either that player is gone or teammates have, with new ones who may not fit the open roles coming in the next year. Youth hurts, inexperience hurts, and being average hurts right now! I think there is a compromise between getting OAD talent and building a team for each year that can make the road less bumpy but we haven't chosen to take that path yet.

Reactions: christophero
If we can keep the team together other than JJ and Hurt, we should be good next year. But this year is slipping away from us. I'm not in the "glad we're just playing" camp because other teams are playing too and playing well. But I guess it's building to next year. But we are a long way from being a superteam in a year. I will try to be more positive but we do not appear to be improving at all. something is seriously off with us so I will trust in the coaches to turn it round.

Last edited:
I think Coach K is the greatest to ever coach. I don't know that he is currently the greatest coach.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on the internet that hasn't ever coached college basketball.

Reactions: adubmac
I think k is greatest coach of all time, but last few seasons has been his worst coaching job. As for this team we are bad.

The yearly rebuilding has taken a toll on the program in my view. Uncertainty and unexpected early exits means that we have to start from scratch each year. New team, new identity, but still high expectations. Unfortunately, we have moved from the traditional basketball with PG/Center/PF type roles to a positionless NBA style. Personally I don't see that working in college, especially with the roster turnover we have each year. It takes time to learn your role and by then either that player is gone or teammates have, with new ones who may not fit the open roles coming in the next year. Youth hurts, inexperience hurts, and being average hurts right now! I think there is a compromise between getting OAD talent and building a team for each year that can make the road less bumpy but we haven't chosen to take that path yet.

This, I totally agree with. As a fan, it's a frustrating aspect of the current status of the game. From a program standpoint, you're always going to go after the best players possible. Heck 2015 proved you could win that way. Most schools are lucky to get one top five guy every five years. Because of how Duke has positioned itself amidst the college landscape, there are years we get several.

What I HATE about it is completely from a fans perspective. I get why guys jump, I get why they take the money - why they should take the money. As a fan however, it makes it difficult to latch on to anyone. By the time you start really following a player, or they've become a huge asset to the team; they're gone. As a fan, it's far more difficult to feel any continuity with a particular player, or more so, team.

Coach K is doing what he has to do to put together the best team possible. I'll always respect that and respect K. But I do miss the days of a team you could latch on to for four years - heck, TWO years.

@Rocketman101 - This is going to sound like I'm baiting you, I'm really not. I'd truly like to know why you think that? It just seems like an easy excuse because it's not at all tangible...
I would have to really think through some things...but instantly to my own mind...

- Zion not taking a shot the final 6 or so minutes against Michigan State to go to the final four...that’s just not even rational.

- Last year I believe against Stephen F Austin which we lost sitting Carey with a chance to win the game in regulation (maybe it was overtime?) when it was tied or within two and he was 8-10 from the field and our only legit big. Even a miss and rebound or foul wins the game...non sensible to have had him on the bench. We where on offense after a timeout at rhe

- Never coaching or developing an offensive system around the players we have. It’s relied solely through the years on elite talent winning their individual matchup and creating for others....instead of the team creating for each other...big difference here...

- Not really adjusting the overplay defensive philosophy that’s based on players that know how to communicate, rotate, make switches, and be in the right spots. Force feeding a philosophy that doesn’t fit with the current state of the program which has become a revolving door of players....so to speak. They are not here long enough or have enough time to actually “learn” for this philosophy to be successful. Again it’s predicated on individual talent overcoming mistakes rather than an over team philosophy.

Those are immediate thoughts that come to my mind without thinking to hard....I think they are easy to see...

I think K coaches a lot more now based on creating relationships....relationships that foster a more “pro” environment. And a more overall philosophy of allowing individual athleticism to create plays instead of a general overall team discipline.

That’s where I perceive K to be much different. Overall they are kids...kids need to have structure and coach discipline at times when they can’t discipline themselves. I just don’t think K does those things like he used to in favor of a more “pro” type atmosphere.

I remember still JWill and that team losing to Kentucky by like 20 and K benched the entire starting five. We came back to win that game....but this version of K would never do something like that anymore.....

Reactions: kingbluedevil
It may not be coaching but one complaint I see is player development and team improvement as the season progresses. The Zion year their best game was against Kentucky and that was early on. Assistant coaches play a big part in working with players to improve their weaknesses also. The fan base is used to winning and it gives everyone something to talk about in a season that may be a little down. This team could turn everything around so let's see how it plays out. As long as the golf course is open I'm fine.

Reactions: skysdad
I think the problem I have with todays game and players is that I live in the past. Even 10 years ago the players were more ready and came in with a better all around game. Handlers and the AAU circuit now has taken over. I keep on expecting Singlers , Jay Williams, Wojo's and Battiers and players like them to come into the Duke program and they re no more. I have to learn to deal with that myself but it is hard for me to see such a change. OFC

This has been said...but the revolving door of players and any attachment to them has made it hard as a fan imo.

Of course something like Zion is just an awesome force that pulls you in. That’s an anomaly however, and the feeling of underperforming with little to no attachment to the next group has made it really hard to care about Duke Basketball like I once did....at least for me...it’s just not the same...

The kick in the nuts for Scheyer as an example against VCU (my home) to what it became in 2010....just nothing like that story.

I think Coach K is the greatest to ever coach. I don't know that he is currently the greatest coach.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on the internet that hasn't ever coached college basketball.

Agree with your sentiments. OFC

There is no guarantee that any particular strategy will work. It's probabilistic. For example, if K thinks a particular move will give the team a 51% chance of winning, I expect him to make it. However, there is still a 49% chance it won't work. In such a case, I would not be whining and moaning about the move.

A lot of people don't mention Jason Williams but we need a player like him. He was competitive as hell. I'd like to see someone work with Hurt for a few months and make him a little bit like Danny Mahear ( sp)With Hurts soft defense he's got to be the most liked player in the league.

My memory is hazy but Jason Williams seemed way ahead of our other recent PGs coming in. I know he had some turnovers but he was amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
My memory is hazy but Jason Williams seemed way ahead of our other recent PGs coming in. I know he had some turnovers but he was amazing.
Actually Chris Duhon was the point guard, and he also was way ahead of what we have, but not way ahead of Tre and Tyus. Goldie has too many weaknesses in his game to even be talked about in the same breath. Roach may have the ability to catch up. If not, we are in deep sh$t.

I wouldn’t trade K for any coach. I’m not much of a fan of how K coaches now though. Mainly talking about the offense. It just relies too much on talent... even with a bunch of talent (the RJ Zion team) there were no easy buckets, good looks, etc unless we got out in transition....everything looked too hard with that talent. Maybe he’s got a smidgle of political coaching mixed in too idkkkk

K adapts I agree....but adapting to his personal I don’t think so

I wouldn’t trade K for any coach. I’m not much of a fan of how K coaches now though. Mainly talking about the offense. It just relies too much on talent... even with a bunch of talent (the RJ Zion team) there were no easy buckets, good looks, etc unless we got out in transition....everything looked too hard with that talent. Maybe he’s got a smidgle of political coaching mixed in too idkkkk

Zion was as close as you'll ever come to a guaranteed bucket, and yet his touches were mainly from rebounds and from steals and transition plays.

Reactions: IFaZe
During Zion's year, Duke looked unstoppable when Jack White could hit an open three. Is it coaching that White just went completely cold the rest of the season, ruining the spacing needed for Zion and RJ to really punish teams?

All the talk on TV about Duke having a 19% chance to make the tournament is just to pacify the Haters. Duke needs to get some decent away wins in conference and a win or two in the ACC tournament. If we don't then we have no one to blame but ourselves. But to say there's little chance is ridiculous.

We need to beat Miami, because I don't think right now we would beat North Carolina. would love to be wrong though.

Today certainly helped. :)
It was nice seeing this team build a lead and then put their foot on their opponent's throat the way they did. They haven't looked that good all year. But honestly I think it was the grit they showed against GT that gave me hope for them to become a better team. GT had almost everything going for them in that game that you see in a Duke loss. A player shoot lights out, shots fall that look impossible, their threes were falling and they had multiple 8-10 pt runs. We won that game on the boards, IMO. But I was impressed by how Duke answered every GT run and rebuilt leads. That's something that a team with confidence does, and Duke had been struggling in that department, I do believe. To win a game like that and follow it up with a blowout victory will give them a big confidence boost. Hopefully it carries through.

We need to beat Miami, because I don't think right now we would beat North Carolina. would love to be wrong though.

Chris, don't lose hope. The Cheaters aren't a juggernaut. If Williams can give us quality minutes, he can help neutralize their big men. They won't be able to guard Hurt and as long as Andrew Platek is playing I'm not going to be afraid of the Bad Guys.

I hope so. Williams won't have to do it by himself; and Hurt and JJ are big men too in their own way. And our guards if they play well have the advantage. We have Tape as well; but we probably won't use him unless we are in foul trouble.

Reactions: skysdad and Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT