ADVERTISEMENT

Solid JJ.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Without a doubt JJ Redick is one of Duke's greatest. Consensus All American NPOY, Duke's all time leading scorer, IMO best 3 point and free throw shooter Duke has ever had. He was a lottery pick being drafted as the 11th pick by Orlando. I remember when he was drafted and how our rivals labeled him as an NBA flop and would be out of the league as soon as his rookie contract ended. He did get off to not average start. He has played from 4 teams. A journeyman in the old days but most of today's players go for team to team. He owned the ACC career scoring record until tyler hansbrough did break it. hansbrough had an outstanding college career but he got away with a lot of stuff but I give him his due. Why even mention him in JJ's thread? Because those same unc cheater u basketball guru's predicted an outstanding NBA career even to the point of referring him to be the next Dave Cowens. What a joke. Once he got into the league his baby sitters weren't with him anymore and we know the rest of the story. Back to JJ. After his 1st couple of years his career really started to become "solid." He's as a career scoring average of about 13 ppg. Now taking his 1st. few years in the league that's solid. This year with the Sixer's he's at 18 ppg. His free throw % is about 89 per cent and he is among the best in the league.He also is among the league leaders in 3 point per centage but that is not surprising. The type of player you want in the game at the end of a close one because of these two skills. What makes him " solid " is how much of a good defensive player he has become. Also look at his motor. He just doesn't stop. I pity the person who guards him because JJ is all over the court moving constantly. He gets open a lot because he is so good at using picks and screens. I watched him last night vs, the Nets and at times I looked like he used one of the Net players as a pick. JJ is a solid NBA player because he has worked hard to get there. His contract with the Sixer's expires this year and if they don't resign him they are nuts. Hope he gets his due . The best thing is that he is a DUKIE and al ways will be a DUKIE. OFC

Watched it also. Didn’t he have 23 points at the half?
I believe he makes 12 million a year.

I think his sisters gave him the J.J. nickname when he was a toddler.

He’s one of my favorite Duke players of all-time. Few losses rival how I felt after the game against LSU in 2006.

JJ had a really poor shooting game vs. the Nets. Only 6 points going into the last minute of the game and with 50 seconds left to go into the game he hit a 3 from 26 feet to put the Sixer's ahead and they defeated the Nets 112 -108 to take a 3-1 lead in the series. He never lost confidence and his team mates never lost confidence and he hit the big one. OFC

Reactions: Hurley22
JJ had a really poor shooting game vs. the Nets. Only 6 points going into the last minute of the game and with 50 seconds left to go into the game he hit a 3 from 26 feet to put the Sixer's ahead and they defeated the Nets 112 -108 to take a 3-1 lead in the series. He never lost confidence and his team mates never lost confidence and he hit the big one. OFC
I think JJ only has two confidence levels: high and very high

Nobody entertained me more in a Duke uniform than JJ. Ball fakes, rolling off screens, spot up, whatever. He was a true marksman. I just have a hard time not letting that LSU game blemish him. It shouldn’t define his incredible career and it doesn’t - but sometimes I have a tough time looking past it. That one hurt.... bad.

Nobody entertained me more in a Duke uniform than JJ. Ball fakes, rolling off screens, spot up, whatever. He was a true marksman. I just have a hard time not letting that LSU game blemish him. It shouldn’t define his incredible career and it doesn’t - but sometimes I have a tough time looking past it. That one hurt.... bad.
That year was great until then. Started 16-19 and 0 (can’t remember the exact number). Is that also the year of the shocker at UMD?

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
That year was great until then. Started 16-19 and 0 (can’t remember the exact number). Is that also the year of the shocker at UMD?

Yeah I don’t remember the exact # of consecutive wins to start the season but the 16-19 range is about right. Remember running over #2 Texas by 30ish points? They had LaMarcus and PJ Tucker. Dude I’ll never forget, JJ went nuts for 40+

If you’re talking about the “miracle minute” vs Maryland that was ‘01.

Yeah I don’t remember the exact # of consecutive wins to start the season but the 16-19 range is about right. Remember running over #2 Texas by 30ish points? They had LaMarcus and PJ Tucker. Dude I’ll never forget, JJ went nuts for 40+

jj_redick.jpg

I was at that Texas game. Had to buy a new pair of trousers in the way out.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
K all year warned that team about “JJ watching” and that was the fear with that team. LSU double and triple teamed him and forced others to beat them. We couldn’t, and that’s one of the most pissed I’ve ever been in my Duke fan career.

K all year warned that team about “JJ watching” and that was the fear with that team. LSU double and triple teamed him and forced others to beat them. We couldn’t, and that’s one of the most pissed I’ve ever been in my Duke fan career.

We couldn’t have possibly played any worse. JJ wouldn’t go 3-18 blindfolded on another day. I have no idea what the exact number was, but it seemed like we gave up 20 offensive rebounds that game. Pretty inexcusable with Shelden and JMcRob in the paint. That Thomas kid from LSU had Zion-like hops.

We couldn’t have possibly played any worse. JJ wouldn’t go 3-18 blindfolded on another day. I have no idea what the exact number was, but it seemed like we gave up 20 offensive rebounds that game. Pretty inexcusable with Shelden and JMcRob in the paint. That Thomas kid from LSU had Zion-like hops.

LSU was a talented, but young team. They really underachieved during the regular season. Think about it....Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, Garrett Temple, Tasmin Mitchell, Magnum Rolle, Lazare (forget his first name), etc. With the exception of Davis and Mitchell, those others were pretty elite athletes. Duke's 2006 team had two kryptonite's....a bad shooting night from J.J. (check) and superior athleticism (double-check). I think Temple is still cashing NBA paychecks.

I remember in the second half a sequence, that at the time, just gave me a pit in my stomach and when I realized a win just might not happen. We were up five, had possession, and J.J. missed a wide open three from the right wing. LSU got a long rebound and scored in transition on the other end. J.J. never misses that shot. We go from potentially being up eight and separating a bit against a really young team, to up three, panicking and looking very vulnerable. To this day, it's one of the worst 'feeling' Duke games I've ever watched. I think that's partly because I wanted it for J.J. and Shelden so damn much.

LSU was a talented, but young team. They really underachieved during the regular season. Think about it....Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, Garrett Temple, Tasmin Mitchell, Magnum Rolle, Lazare (forget his first name), etc. With the exception of Davis and Mitchell, those others were pretty elite athletes. Duke's 2006 team had two kryptonite's....a bad shooting night from J.J. (check) and superior athleticism (double-check). I think Temple is still cashing NBA paychecks.

I remember in the second half a sequence, that at the time, just gave me a pit in my stomach and when I realized a win just might not happen. We were up five, had possession, and J.J. missed a wide open three from the right wing. LSU got a long rebound and scored in transition on the other end. J.J. never misses that shot. We go from potentially being up eight and separating a bit against a really young team, to up three, panicking and looking very vulnerable. To this day, it's one of the worst 'feeling' Duke games I've ever watched. I think that's partly because I wanted it for J.J. and Shelden so damn much.
I knew the sequence before you even said it. Puke city.

Reactions: dukiejay
That game is the worst for me bar none. I was in the 10th grade, had endured Carolina winning it all and I just knew it was ours. I sobbed after and that Friday was the most depressed I’d ever been in my life to that point

That game is the worst for me bar none. I was in the 10th grade, had endured Carolina winning it all and I just knew it was ours. I sobbed after and that Friday was the most depressed I’d ever been in my life to that point

I was 28....and I think I sobbed. All year it just seemed like J.J. was destined to go out a champion.

Reactions: pisgah101
I was 28....and I think I sobbed. All year it just seemed like J.J. was destined to go out a champion.

That was a tough one. Those Sweet Sixteen exits with championship-caliber teams, like 2002 and 2011, tend to hurt me more than the Final Four heartbreakers like 1999 and 2004. In the latter years, they at least made it to the table.

Reactions: pisgah101
Watched that game from a bar. Never went back to that bar. I mean, it had to be someone's fault other than JJ's.

JJ actually ended up being admired even by UNX fans for his hard work to become a good pro. He is a true role model. And his interviews (and podcast) are always funny!

We’re the same age. Lol I was also in 10th grade

Watched that game from a bar. Never went back to that bar. I mean, it had to be someone's fault other than JJ's.

JJ actually ended up being admired even by UNX fans for his hard work to become a good pro. He is a true role model. And his interviews (and podcast) are always funny!
Love his podcast. Probably the second best one out there...

Reactions: dukiejay
It is so hard to have a favorite being a Duke fan because there are so many that have represented Duke and Coach so well but JJ is right up there in the top tier of Dukies along with G-Man, Johnny D, Danny, Grant, Christian, Shane, and dozens more that can be mentioned. You could mention names for days. Amazing the names and players we have been privileged to watch and cheer that has come through Durham NC

It is so hard to have a favorite being a Duke fan because there are so many that have represented Duke and Coach so well but JJ is right up there in the top tier of Dukies along with G-Man, Johnny D, Danny, Grant, Christian, Shane, and dozens more that can be mentioned. You could mention names for days. Amazing the names and players we have been privileged to watch and cheer that has come through Durham NC
My main man Casey Sanders, @dukehokie guy Matt Christensen etc. i agree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT