ADVERTISEMENT

Semi Ojeleye

And those that of you who think transfers are certain disaster, hold on to your panties, more coming.

Ummm, no.
so if Duke is this recruiting power and been so then why doesn't Duke end up in the championship every year or have years where they either don't get a pg or a Big that they go after?
Has Duke been hot on the recruiting trail lately yes but it isn't always so as it is for most schools. It's up and down.
And it's not like we're talking about the transfer being three and four star recruits either.

so if Duke is this recruiting power and been so then why doesn't Duke end up in the championship every year or have years where they either don't get a pg or a Big that they go after?
Has Duke been hot on the recruiting trail lately yes but it isn't always so as it is for most schools. It's up and down.
And it's not like we're talking about the transfer being three and four star recruits either.

I'm not sure what your gripe is here.

The difference right now is that K is not settling. Of course Duke could find some point guard in Georgia somewhere who's athletic and can get up for one game against a powerhouse, but K wants high level, NBA caliber talent and if he doesn't get it, he moves on. And for the most part, he's gotten most of the guys he's wanted in the past 3-4 years.

By the same token, when you continue to recruit 4 & 5 star players and get 4-5 of them every year, when one leaves, by proxy of course you're going lose a high caliber type of guy. It's the nature of the road taken.

So I'll say yes, Duke has been a recruiting power and has changed the way the college game is approached.

I'm not sure what your gripe is here.

The difference right now is that K is not settling. Of course Duke could find some point guard in Georgia somewhere who's athletic and can get up for one game against a powerhouse, but K wants high level, NBA caliber talent and if he doesn't get it, he moves on. And for the most part, he's gotten most of the guys he's wanted in the past 3-4 years.

By the same token, when you continue to recruit 4 & 5 star players and get 4-5 of them every year, when one leaves, by proxy of course you're going lose a high caliber type of guy. It's the nature of the road taken.

So I'll say yes, Duke has been a recruiting power and has changed the way the college game is approached.
I don't have a gripe. Imo I just remember when Duke recruiting was down and I don't believe at all that they have been inferior in recruiting to every school. I am a Duke fan and think they do great at recruiting.
Look at your statement," has gotten the NBA caliber talent the last three to four years." I would agree with that statement but Duke was having transfers prior to those years.
Imo, you could include Kentucky as a recruiting power along with KU yet over the course of that same three to four year spand haven't averaged a player transferring even though Kentucky's player usually leave for the draft so there's always a chance for playing time there.
I see the points on both side. I see what Show is saying and understand his view and opinion but I also see my opinion. That's all.

I don't have a gripe. Imo I just remember when Duke recruiting was down and I don't believe at all that they have been inferior in recruiting to every school. I am a Duke fan and think they do great at recruiting.
Look at your statement," has gotten the NBA caliber talent the last three to four years." I would agree with that statement but Duke was having transfers prior to those years.
Imo, you could include Kentucky as a recruiting power along with KU yet over the course of that same three to four year spand haven't averaged a player transferring even though Kentucky's player usually leave for the draft so there's always a chance for playing time there.
I see the points on both side. I see what Show is saying and understand his view and opinion but I also see my opinion. That's all.

Gotcha. Just wasn't understanding where you were coming from.

The plumlee's, especially mason, may as well of been first options. It was very sad we missed on Josh smith...

Greg Monroe, and even Rico gathers, would of been nice, however.

Read a good article done by the Fayetteville observer the Sunday that DT announced his transfer and it made some good points on the transfers Duke has had starting with Oli and Taylor King leading up to DT. Found it interesting on the points.

As for Greg Monroe not to sure on him if I remember correctly he didn't have to much to say good about Georgetown and his last season there was said to be filled with arguments between him a John Thompson the third.

I'm not sure how you can ask this question and be a serious basketball fan. There are years when recruiting classes aren't that great, often times having the most talented team (thanks to OAD) also means having the youngest (inexperienced) team, and there are injuries, etc. etc. Having the best or 2nd best recruiting class every year doesn't guarantee a championship, ask UK fans about it. You seem to have some sort of agenda over the past few months that is anti-Duke or anti-our current recruiting philosophy that I don't understand... is it just about playing time or is there something else that has your jimmies rustled so badly?

I just have to say, anyone who is not happy with our recruiting has issues. I've been amazed at how well we've done all these years.

Read a good article done by the Fayetteville observer the Sunday that DT announced his transfer and it made some good points on the transfers Duke has had starting with Oli and Taylor King leading up to DT. Found it interesting on the points.

There's a couple of issues I have with placing the onus of a transfer on one party or another.

First, and most importantly, you have 15, 16, and 17 year old kids essentially mapping out their careers in front of millions of people with millions of dollars on the line. Already that is not an easy task. Then once you've made that decision, you are betting on yourself against everyone else on your team that you are the guy the program needs to continue on its path or even to reverse its fortunes. Then you add in differences in opinions, personalities, view points etc., all of which don't necessarily come out in the recruiting process, and suddenly you have a potentially volatile situation.

Second, not all of Duke's or other schools' transfers are created equally. We'll take Duke since we are most familiar there. Thornton, a difference of opinion between a player's confidant and the coaching staff in the volume of production and future potential for volume (among other issues). Semi, unhappiness with a proposed role on the team, and other personal desires (related to off court wants and needs). Olek, lack of playing time and potential future playing time. Taylor King, serious and documented personal issues among other basketball related issues. Eric Boateng, general unhappiness. Jamal Boykin, a kid who essentially recruited Duke and loved it here, I mean everything. He loved the team, the coaches, the school, etc. was hit with a serious case of the homesicks and also has what most say was an excellent and mature conversation with the staff, felt it best for all parties if he pursued a school closer to home. Eliot Williams, let's not even go there with that one. The point is, there are different reasons other than game plan and coach's willingness or unwillingness to change for a kid.

On top of all of that, at Duke when you have transfers, you're going to lose 4 and 5 star players because that's all you bring in. Whereas at Canisius, when you lose your 1 star point guard, no one is going to bat an eyelash. It's all relative.

I think people just don't like transfers and I get that. I don't like them either. But Semi fits into a small percentage of players who left here and became a dynamic player someplace else. Gbinije is another, but it wasn't until his fourth season in college that he even became a full-time starter.

It goes back to how K says that each player runs his own race.

There's a couple of issues I have with placing the onus of a transfer on one party or another.

First, and most importantly, you have 15, 16, and 17 year old kids essentially mapping out their careers in front of millions of people with millions of dollars on the line. Already that is not an easy task. Then once you've made that decision, you are betting on yourself against everyone else on your team that you are the guy the program needs to continue on its path or even to reverse its fortunes. Then you add in differences in opinions, personalities, view points etc., all of which don't necessarily come out in the recruiting process, and suddenly you have a potentially volatile situation.

Second, not all of Duke's or other schools' transfers are created equally. We'll take Duke since we are most familiar there. Thornton, a difference of opinion between a player's confidant and the coaching staff in the volume of production and future potential for volume (among other issues). Semi, unhappiness with a proposed role on the team, and other personal desires (related to off court wants and needs). Olek, lack of playing time and potential future playing time. Taylor King, serious and documented personal issues among other basketball related issues. Eric Boateng, general unhappiness. Jamal Boykin, a kid who essentially recruited Duke and loved it here, I mean everything. He loved the team, the coaches, the school, etc. was hit with a serious case of the homesicks and also has what most say was an excellent and mature conversation with the staff, felt it best for all parties if he pursued a school closer to home. Eliot Williams, let's not even go there with that one. The point is, there are different reasons other than game plan and coach's willingness or unwillingness to change for a kid.

On top of all of that, at Duke when you have transfers, you're going to lose 4 and 5 star players because that's all you bring in. Whereas at Canisius, when you lose your 1 star point guard, no one is going to bat an eyelash. It's all relative.
Great post and history lesson. There is so much that goes into this more than just, "X player didn't get a chance."

I wish these kids well after they leave, feel bad for some of them even. But at the end of the day I root for who stays here and who buys in. We've been pretty fortunate I'd say. And again, we've gotten our share of pretty awesome transfers ourselves.

Dead on correct. OFC

It's nice to be on top of the recruiting world, I'd say us and UK are kings of the mountain.

There was a period (2005-2010) where it seemed like our recruiting was down for our standards. We were only landing 1-2 McDonald's All Americans each year, and they were usually not in the top 10 overall.

Misses that hurt: Shaun Livingston (went pro), Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe, Black Falcon.

I'm not sure how you can ask this question and be a serious basketball fan. There are years when recruiting classes aren't that great, often times having the most talented team (thanks to OAD) also means having the youngest (inexperienced) team, and there are injuries, etc. etc. Having the best or 2nd best recruiting class every year doesn't guarantee a championship, ask UK fans about it. You seem to have some sort of agenda over the past few months that is anti-Duke or anti-our current recruiting philosophy that I don't understand... is it just about playing time or is there something else that has your jimmies rustled so badly?
How so because I don't agree with everything or how a player is used so I'm anti-Duke? Because I don't share the same opinions as others? I'm sorry I'm not gonna sit here and say I agree with five bigs riding the bench and we get killed by players going straight to the basket!
I'm not bashing any players like Tatum, Matt, Bolden(well I did say looked lost and lazy a couple times) like others have .Or because I stated awhile back that the upper classman should start after state. That is who's starting now right? I'm not bashing K or the staff. So you have no solid base to your presumed arguement. Ive said a lot less then the bashing and pointing fingers on here that I've seen posted. By the way not all players are like a Cook or Smith who deal with adversity and decide not to transfer but then again these are kids and this is a different era.

Reactions: dukehokie
It's nice to be on top of the recruiting world, I'd say us and UK are kings of the mountain.

There was a period (2005-2010) where it seemed like our recruiting was down for our standards. We were only landing 1-2 McDonald's All Americans each year, and they were usually not in the top 10 overall.

Misses that hurt: Shaun Livingston (went pro), Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe, Black Falcon.

God remember how much it hurt to see Kenny Boykin go to Florida? Or even Sasha Kaun to KU.

Reactions: sheyduke
How so because I don't agree with everything or how a player is used so I'm anti-Duke? Because I don't share the same opinions as others? I'm sorry I'm not gonna sit here and say I agree with five bigs riding the bench and we get killed by players going straight to the basket!
I'm not bashing any players like Tatum, Matt, Bolden(well I did say looked lost and lazy a couple times) like others have .Or because I stated awhile back that the upper classman should start after state. That is who's starting now right? I'm not bashing K or the staff. So you have no solid base to your presumed arguement. Ive said a lot less then the bashing and pointing fingers on here that I've seen posted. By the way not all players are like a Cook or Smith who deal with adversity and decide not to transfer but then again these are kids and this is a different era.

I do agree we all can get spun up with differing opinions on this board at times, myself 100% included. I don't see anything egregious with what you said shey. It certainly isn't as extreme as other opinions we've had here.

God remember how much it hurt to see Kenny Boykin go to Florida? Or even Sasha Kaun.
Damn I remember missing on Kenny and being like we can't get anyone! Lost him to the nerf gun. Alas it lead us to Kyrie, and he's the recruit that really changed it all for us.

Damn I remember missing on Kenny and being like we can't get anyone! Lost him to the nerf gun. Alas it lead us to Kyrie, and he's the recruit that really changed it all for us.

Bingo. And Kenny had a nice career, but man getting Kyrie changed Duke's fortunes. Still is having impact on recruits. *coughDuvalcough*

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm not out to come off as an a$$ really respect Show and every poster. I understand at times it seems that way for which I understand. Maybe I got off point but I'm far from anti Duke lol.

There are good examples of players who have chose Duke and once they get a glimpse they choose not to stay. Cerrick Felix and Adams come to mind.
I also agree that with Semi it was one of an eye opener his first season coming from a small town into the power of the ACC and maybe his second season before departing the kid simply decided he needed to step back re-evaluate his situation which it looks like was a good choice on his behalf.

I'm not out to come off as an a$$ really respect Show and every poster. I understand at times it seems that way for which I understand. Maybe I got off point but I'm far from anti Duke lol.

There are good examples of players who have chose Duke and once they get a glimpse they choose not to stay. Cerrick Felix and Adams come to mind.
I also agree that with Semi it was one of an eye opener his first season coming from a small town into the power of the ACC and maybe his second season before departing the kid simply decided he needed to step back re-evaluate his situation which it looks like was a good choice on his behalf.

Man Carrick Felix and Tyler Adams. Two players who fit the description of guys we felt always had great games against us in tournaments and we were so happy we were getting them. They were going to change the program!

S
Man Carrick Felix and Tyler Adams. Two players who fit the description of guys we felt always had great games against us in tournaments and we were so happy we were getting them. They were going to change the program!
same with DeAndre Daniels (think that was his name?). Guy went to uconn instead.

S

same with DeAndre Daniels (think that was his name?). Guy went to uconn instead.

Yep. I was watching his high school highlight film the other day actually. I wanted that dude at Duke badly. He had major skill for his size and age.

Remember how this board melted down when jp harrison turned us down because the Duke staff either spelled or pronounced his name wrong. I thought we would never get over that one. ;) OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie and dbav

The black falcon. To me it was the way he done it as much as we didn't get him. He is however having a great year. I hope he goes into a slump. OFC

The black falcon. To me it was the way he done it as much as we didn't get him. He is however having a great year. I hope he goes into a slump. OFC
At least his season will be ending in April, don't have to worry about watching him through June anytime soon.

Reactions: skysdad
The Barnes recruitment stung at the time, but it's hard to complain about the results since then.

We've beat UNC 12 of the last 16 times, won two national titles, saw K cement himself as maybe the best of all time, watched UNC (both their fans and administration) squirm about the academic scandal and saw our recruiting go from a B to an A+.

Like I said, it cut us deep at the time, but until UNC made a Final Four last spring the Barnes recruitment was really the last episode where UNC fans could point to and say they got us....and the Barnes thing was over seven years ago. That's a decent run for the good guys.

HBFU40 cannot be used as a subject here, he was the greatest miss we've ever endured, he never won a damn thing at uncheat. And him being made to watch our kids hoist the trophy....priceless !

You've just been overly negative for awhile now and I don't read this board much so most of what I see is on premium... then I come over here and the negativity is ramped up even more. I don't know, you seem pissed off about something.

You've just been overly negative for awhile now and I don't read this board much so most of what I see is on premium... then I come over here and the negativity is ramped up even more. I don't know, you seem pissed off about something.
You come over here to slum with us low life's? Hahaha

I will never get over not getting John Reik. There was no excuse for that. He was set to come to Duke. How in the world our recruiting staff screwed that up I'll never know. Get sick on my stomach every time I think of it. Just about ready to throw up posting this but we need to talk about it right. Missing out on him at a time we needed a banger could have cost us at least 1 maybe 2 national championships. It can't ever happen again. OFC

Reactions: Jnood
Kenny Boykin broke my heart. I thought for sure he was coming to duke. He was pretty good at Florida, but not as good as I thought he'd be.

Kenny Boykin broke my heart. I thought for sure he was coming to duke. He was pretty good at Florida, but not as good as I thought he'd be.

That's Duke my friend. Just a typo my friend.;) OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT