ADVERTISEMENT

Semi Ojeleye

Feb 9, 2017
Have y'all been seeing the number Semi has been putting up at SMU? It would've been very nice to have him especially last year. We're just handing people star players. That's crazy. He was the 9th best player on the squad two years ago. The individual talent Duke has been getting lately is crazy. Have to get them on the court though or we will make every other team good with our transfers

Duke or SMU, Semi is a wonderful person and deserves everything that is coming to him. Wishing him all the best.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Watched some of the SMU-Cincy game, and it was great to see him play. Really wish he would have stayed, but from watching him play, he has a great attitude, the others on the team seem to like playing with him, and he appears to be happy where he is. You can't asked for more than that, and I wish him the very best of luck!
Go Duke!
OFC

First, congrats to Semi. He always seemed like a good kid and I am happy he is finding success.

Second, as far as handing others great talent, it was his choice to leave. He did what he thought was best and I can't fault him for that, but how many transfers out of the program have gone on to be stars?

I was watching him yesterday and could not help but see a comparison with J Winslow. Built and play the same. He is really good and certainly play at the next level.

Yes he's great. But if we held onto him, there's a chance we wouldn't have landed Brandon Ingram or Jayson Tatum. Tough call.......Glad for him though.

Reactions: skysdad and Mac9192
First, congrats to Semi. He always seemed like a good kid and I am happy he is finding success.

Second, as far as handing others great talent, it was his choice to leave. He did what he thought was best and I can't fault him for that, but how many transfers out of the program have gone on to be stars?

The more we recruit all Americans and they transfer then the more you will see them going other places and ballin. All I said was we def could've used him last year. My comment was moreso saying how these dudes can't get on the floor at Duke but they ball when they go somewhere else. It's crazy that he could've potentially been at Duke right now.

The more we recruit all Americans and they transfer then the more you will see them going other places and ballin. All I said was we def could've used him last year. My comment was moreso saying how these dudes can't get on the floor at Duke but they ball when they go somewhere else. It's crazy that he could've potentially been at Duke right now.
While I agree with you.
Try to remember Semi set out a whole year after transferring to SMU. Much like MG to cuse. Sometimes these kids choices to leave are their own. If you notice the difference between Semi he stays a lot in the paint where as at Duke he looked like he wanted to stay on the perimeter

Semi actually sat out 1.5 years. He had a lot of time to improve in that break. MG was great at Syracuse, but he struggled his first playing season at Syracuse, which means he would have been a junior at Duke at that time (2014). He shot below 40% from the floor. I can't blame the kids for wanting to transfer, but sometimes you have to just get better before you can get significant playing time, especially at a blue-blood like Duke.

Duke has had a few players leave over the years. Maybe they get to Duke and soon realize they're not as good as they thought, or they don't fit in. Not sure. You play at Duke, you better be ready, you're always under microscope... Nothing against Semi, but SMU is no Duke and he's no Ingram or Tatum. Good luck to him though

Off the top that I can think of

Mike Chapelle
Billy McCaffrey
Michael Gbinije

I think he said stars....

McCaffrey is probably the closest to that. But Billy didn't leave because he wasn't playing....he left because he was never going to be the PG with some kid named Hurley in front of him.

Chapell and Gbinije were nice role players with Gbinije having a really nice fifth season in Syracuse.

In all honesty, Semi might go down as the best of all transfers if he keeps the current pace. We also have to remember this is his fourth season in college. Fourth.

Reactions: dbav
Yes he's great. But if we held onto him, there's a chance we wouldn't have landed Brandon Ingram or Jayson Tatum. Tough call.......Glad for him though.

I was thinking that if he had stayed what our rotation would be and who would be on the team. OFC

Every college in the nation has players that transfer, don't act like Duke is giving star players away. You have to earn your playing time and some players just don't want to wait or have to compete. Times are much different now than 20 years ago imo.

Reactions: skysdad
Every college in the nation has players that transfer, don't act like Duke is giving star players away. You have to earn your playing time and some players just don't want to wait or have to compete. Times are much different now than 20 years ago imo.

That's very true. Semi had not earned his pt while at Duke and made the right decision for himself. It would have been nice if he had finished out the season and picked up a ring. Happy he's having a great season. OFC

Semi's efficiecy numbers against that level of competition still suggest he's a role player at Duke. I've watched him. He's a talented, big man, but he reacts slowly on both ends.

Reactions: Dukesince90
Semi was a great athlete and was a great scorer when he played high school. He wasn't long enough to play the 5 at Duke but could play the 4. He would have played last year due to Jefferson's injury. He would have been our 6th man last year.

SMU is a borderline top 25 team and Semi is there best player.

I always thought he would be really good due to his athleticism and work ethic.

If Semi would've redshirt, we might have seen this production. However, Just might not have come.

I'm happy to see Semi have some basketball success. Wish he had stayed at Duke, but he had to do what was best for him, and it looks like it has worked out well.

OFC

I'd say I'd take the transfers we've gained all day long over the transfers we've had. McCleod, Dhante, Seth, Rodney. Who am I forgetting?

So glad Seth transferred here, man that guy was awesome. He could have had an insane senior year if not for his injury. I mean we would have won it all.

So glad Seth transferred here, man that guy was awesome. He could have had an insane senior year if not for his injury. I mean we would have won it all.
What Seth did while not practicing all year was really impressive. I do think it Kelly doesn't get hurt we are right there. The fact that we played Louisville in the elite 8 sucked because I felt like we were the two best teams in the country at that point. So much for always getting the easy road eh?

Semi's efficiecy numbers against that level of competition still suggest he's a role player at Duke. I've watched him. He's a talented, big man, but he reacts slowly on both ends.

This year so far Semi is the sixth best player (from a Power 7 conference) in offensive efficiency, at 1.08 pts per POS (with POS being a touch of the ball that ends in a shot, free throws, or a turnover). Luke K is first at 1.21. Josh Hart and Malik Monk are #2 and #3, with 1.13 and 1.12 respectively, which shows how insanely efficient Luke K is.

But as to Semi, I'd guess he'd be more than a role player at Duke.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I'd say I'd take the transfers we've gained all day long over the transfers we've had. McCleod, Dhante, Seth, Rodney. Who am I forgetting?

McLeod was one of my favorites of all time. I thought it was an amazing thing that he was the first transfer ever accepted by K.

I think what some are saying is, while some schools do have transfers . Duke is averaging atleast one every season just about

I think it's a few factors. Are they as good as they think they are? Do they realize how big Duke is? K plays 7, maybe 8 as season goes along. Then they know who's being recruited for next few seasons. All that adds up to a kid saying 'See Ya'

I think what some are saying is, while some schools do have transfers . Duke is averaging atleast one every season just about

Duke isn't for everybody. Not only does Duke recruit the most elite basketball players in the country, but they do it every single year. Except for maybe Kentucky, no school out there has the recruiting power of Duke.

I'm happy for Semi, good kid. Wish him well.

He came into a situation where Jabari and Rodney were both ahead of him at his position. The next year we brought in Justise and played a true 5. Justise had a fantastic summer and was really being hyped as one of the biggest "surprises" of the summer program. He got the nod to start at Semis position. During the preseason and games before he transferred that season he didn't exactly show the staff anything that suggested he play meaningful minutes. He left, missed out on a ring, playing time available the next year. However you can't predict that and hindsight is always 20/20. He's now in a place where he can be the featured player. Good on him taking advantage of that.

Duke isn't for everybody. Not only does Duke recruit the most elite basketball players in the country, but they do it every single year. Except for maybe Kentucky, no school out there has the recruiting power of Duke.
I'd have to disagree with you here. I think UNC is clearly number one in this category. I mean Roy passes up some 9-12 future lottery picks who line up at his doorstep every year because OAD is not the Carolina Way. Or because they have handlers. Or a good driving record.

I'd have to disagree with you here. I think UNC is clearly number one in this category. I mean Roy passes up some 9-12 future lottery picks who line up at his doorstep every year because OAD is not the Carolina Way. Or because they have handlers. Or a good driving record.

I have to disagree with you here Dave. I think hof coach roy williams has a problem with "blown cruitin." OFC

This year so far Semi is the sixth best player (from a Power 7 conference) in offensive efficiency, at 1.08 pts per POS (with POS being a touch of the ball that ends in a shot, free throws, or a turnover). Luke K is first at 1.21. Josh Hart and Malik Monk are #2 and #3, with 1.13 and 1.12 respectively, which shows how insanely efficient Luke K is.

But as to Semi, I'd guess he'd be more than a role player at Duke.
Hmm I hadn't looked it up. For some reason thought he was 35% from deep. He's 42. I stand corrected.

If other schools had the recruiting power Duke has , they'd have more transfers as well.
Duke has had its share of recruiting losses. Up until the Winslow, Jones and Okafor class I can remember many prospects Duke has lost on and to rivals. So we don't need to act like Duke is at the top as far as recruiting power. Not long ago Duke was in a recruiting slump much like UNC is now.

There's a difference in missing on some primary targets or the big man misses we had for a while as compared to the dodging going on at UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT