ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller...Big Problems

As far as paying college athletes I’m mixed. Here’s my two cents. Who do you decide to pay? Just the major money makers or everyone??? Secondly, if we are going to pay them, do they get a free ride as well? Look at Duke @ 60K a year. So these kids like the basketball team get free education, free clothes, shoes, food, transportation...etc. What should they get paid? 25K? 50? 100K? Then how do you justify the other kids who are on the basketball team who aren’t on scholly?

You think tix are expensive now??? Pay them and watch those tickets go up 25-50%.

I’m real. I say what people scared to say out loud. The way college sports are ran it’s not hard to see why this stuff happens. Pay the players and you won’t have to worry about this
Whoooooaaaaaaa there Nellie pa pa pump those brakes, you aren’t saying anything ground breaking or something that others are “scared to say” plenty of folks are saying LITERALLY the exact same things that you are. Just because a few people take umbrage with one or three things you say it doesn’t turn you into a trendsetter. Next saying they are just trying to “feed” their families may not be the best choice of words, why? Because I without a shadow of a doubt believe that the last thing these folks were doing was getting their money and going down to the local piggly wiggly, Kroger, or sav-a-lot and stocking the pantry.

If I want to watch a game with players getting paid I will watch an NBA game. The players should be able to go pro after high school and this would solve some of the cheating issues. The thing that piss me off are we have family members that are top ten in their graduation class but can't play a sport so they are paying out the ass for an education. If the parents make decent money you get no help. The education being paid for is just not enough anymore for these players.

If he ever coaches again, it will be at a small D3 school somewhere. Sad thing is, he gets paid MORE for being fired for cause. His contract is crazy

Coach Miller will be fine. He's 'lawyered up' and I'm pretty sure cooperated with the NCAA and University of AZ. He probably told them where all the bodies are buried and who made the graves.

He will be the example.

As far as paying college athletes I’m mixed. Here’s my two cents. Who do you decide to pay? Just the major money makers or everyone??? Secondly, if we are going to pay them, do they get a free ride as well? Look at Duke @ 60K a year. So these kids like the basketball team get free education, free clothes, shoes, food, transportation...etc. What should they get paid? 25K? 50? 100K? Then how do you justify the other kids who are on the basketball team who aren’t on scholly?

You think tix are expensive now??? Pay them and watch those tickets go up 25-50%.
Just like most of us at our job, they can negotiate a contract. If they outperform their contract, it can be renegotiated the next year. In regards to fairness, just like most of us, our salary is typically based on our value to the company. Same thing should apply with college athletes. The same way all of our jobs provide us with great benefits such as health insurance, PTO, 401k match, etc, a specific college's benefit of a free education should be viewed the same way.

College sports is big business and needs to be run just like any other corporation.

I say let them get their scholarships but let them make money on their own from jersey sales, autographs, appearances, etc, and maybe let the schools get a small kickback from it.

Reactions: Dad2ze
Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
no reason, in my opinion to pay any student athelete.their perk is to get a free education in exchange for their playing games for the school they attend.the one and done has to go,it's a detriment to the true student athelete,and also to the player who feels he has the ability to play pro right out of high school.....

Whoooooaaaaaaa there Nellie pa pa pump those brakes, you aren’t saying anything ground breaking or something that others are “scared to say” plenty of folks are saying LITERALLY the exact same things that you are. Just because a few people take umbrage with one or three things you say it doesn’t turn you into a trendsetter. Next saying they are just trying to “feed” their families may not be the best choice of words, why? Because I without a shadow of a doubt believe that the last thing these folks were doing was getting their money and going down to the local piggly wiggly, Kroger, or sav-a-lot and stocking the pantry.

you're three hours late homeboy. we over this. it's game time

I agree with different points made by different people in this thread, but I felt the need to respond to this post.

Why do you think it impossible that a kid who may come from an impoverished home would take some of the money slid to him and use it to purchase food or other necessities for his family?

I've seen in numerous threads here that a lot of people go ballistic at the mention of race, but we are talking nearly exclusively about young Black males, so it's applicable to this conversation.

Getting that out of the way, have you really never had a conversation with a Black person who worked in high school to help out with bills or who opted for the local community college rather than going away so that they could continue for a little longer to help support their family?

Whatever it would look like, I doubt it would look the same as it would look ten years after that. It would require some tinkering.
My 2 cents, then, on the starting point...
*Full rides are still full rides. When we're talking about people who will be making millions of dollars without a degree, the difference between $20K and $60K is negligible.
*Pay revenue sports only.
*Have some % of payment come in the form of a trust, available at some point later. That might allow consideration for non-revenue sports.
*Have the stipend (we'd call it a stipend) be big enough to include a little help for their families. We can never do anything to account for sheer greed, but where it's a matter of need we can defray some of that and make it easier for people to adhere to the rules.
*Have the base stipend increase each year to allow for things like moving off-campus, leasing/buying a car, buying their own suit, etc. Throw in a term injury insurance policy based on their pro earning potential. All that might encourage guys like Frank Jackson to stay in school an extra year.

Paying athletes will not fix the problem. The top recruits will still be tempted to get paid MORE by certain schools boosters, agents, etc. Get rid of one and done and let the kids go pro out of HS or make them stay 3 years. That will at least help because most agents, etc are not going to wait 3 years for return on investment (IMO). Plus I would like to see Duke get some players who stick around more than a year or two again (maybe some Kyle Singlers, etc)

Where’s @OldasdirtDevil with a pic of Miller in prison orange or behind cell bars???

Been busy, Dadz, but here's a little something for you!
Oh, the pic is huge, just click it.

a5CpRQp.jpg

OFC

you're three hours late homeboy. we over this. it's game time

You're only over it because you were called out. Others can enjoy, it's all good!
You're trying to get technical. We know what investing I'm talking about and I'm not talking tax purposes. Come on now. You're trying though

Wow, keep reaching. Tax deduction and/or avoidance absolutely is a form of investment to people who understand personal/corporate Finance.

I feel bad for you, although you've probably never needed to avoid taxation so I get it. It doesn't mean you're "worse" than others, but don't keep pressing an issue you blatantly don't understand.

Time to move on, dachump.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Boeheim and K both had some pretty interesting things to say after the game tonight about changes they would like to see the NCAA make. It seems like both of them agree that agents are going to find ways to get to players no matter what. K suggested some sort of system that would allow registered agents to represent the players while they are in school so they could choose reputable representatives and make informed choices without having to skirt the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT