ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

Ryan Young’s numbers wernt that high last year. Plus, ESPN had him ranked like 75th on the top transfer lists. Not sure why we are supposed to be excited about this. Can someone help me out here?

We got Ryan Young!
Big get. He's about as good as we are going to get for a backup big. He averaged 9 and 4 in the Big 10, but he played less than half the game backing up Northwestern's best player and could have started this next year. No injury concerns. Started most of his freshman year. A widebody, experienced guy with 2 years left. Not athletic enough for the NBA. This really helps us. You need role players. Our frontcourt just got a lot more experienced. he is more than a practice player. Will fill the Theo role nicely. He's better on offense, prob. worse on defense.

Last edited:
Ryan Young’s numbers wernt that high last year. Plus, ESPN had him ranked like 75th on the top transfer lists. Not sure why we are supposed to be excited about this. Can someone help me out here?
He's expected to play the Theo John role, back up Lively and bring leadership. Sometimes the portal rankings can be a little off. Theo John was not very high in the portal rankings and I believe that Oscar at Kentucky was like 25th, or something. He could be exactly what Duke needs.

Last edited:
He's expected to play the Theo John role, back up Lively and bring leadership. Sometimes the portal rankings can be a little off. I'm Theo John was not very high in the portal rankings and I believe that Oscar at Kentucky was like 25th, or something. He could be exactly what Duke needs.
Good info. Thanx

Unless you think Borden or Worthington or Reeves could get 18 points and 8 rebounds against Michigan State, he's waaaaaaaaay better than any of our backup bigs. We just got a lot better and older.

He probably won't start, unless someone is injured or Lively or Flip REALLY disappoint. But he is capable of starting without the wheels coming off if needed. And he will play more than Kale. And I like that these 2 will push the freshman. And Young could possibly start the following year.

The last transfer pickup nexts to be impact player and not a roll player. Unless Keels comes back

The last transfer pickup nexts to be impact player and not a roll player. Unless Keels comes back
Agreed. We need a stud at SG or Keels back. If we get one of those 20ppg players to transfer in (or Keels back but unlikely) we will be a legit FF contender for sure next year.
"Having guys old enough to shave is a good thing" is my favorite DBR quote today.

Last edited:
Kinda scary we are getting excited about landing a backup post player. Jon may be in for a long year.....
Not sure if that was a response to my post, but I just meant I knew he was committing. I do think he fills a needed role, but I definitely wouldn't say it's an exciting pick up. Hopefully he provides more than I expect.

I don’t get this board at times. We went into the portal got two players with experience to help the young players out and take some of the burden off of Roach and Baker . To me if your looking for an alpha from the portal it ain’t happening. To many OAD’s to scare them off. Keels isn’t coming back . I think Jon knows what he’s doing .

Not sure if that was a response to my post, but I just meant I knew he was committing. I do think he fills a needed role, but I definitely wouldn't say it's an exciting pick up. Hopefully he provides more than I expect.
No sir, not directed at you. I agree with you though - he’s needed as depth. Imo Duke still needs a strong transfer SG/combo guard....

I don’t get this board at times. We went into the portal got two players with experience to help the young players out and take some of the burden off of Roach and Baker . To me if your looking for an alpha from the portal it ain’t happening. To many OAD’s to scare them off. Keels isn’t coming back . I think Jon knows what he’s doing .
Agree with everything you say here. Keels was never coming back and getting Young will not only help wirh depth, but gives Lively and Flip a quality big to go up against in practice. Young knows he has a 0% chance to start over Lively.

He probably does, but not definitely. No way I would have given a scholarship to Catchings yet. An earlier poster said that Duke has no scholarships available if Keels returns. You must save one scholarship for the transfer who will make a difference. My Tar Heels would have been lost without Manek. I would have told Catchings that if there was a slot open in a month that it is his

He probably does, but not definitely. No way I would have given a scholarship to Catchings yet. An earlier poster said that Duke has no scholarships available if Keels returns. You must save one scholarship for the transfer who will make a difference. My Tar Heels would have been lost without Manek. I would have told Catchings that if there was a slot open in a month that it is his
Keels isn’t returning at all. Catchings can guard the three and Four which will be needed off the bench . I’m telling you in order to pull a rabbit out the hat to get a straight contributor out the portal is going to be scares

Sorry boys but Young isn’t going to be anything more than 5-10 minutes a game. We need one of Green, McCuller, Sears, or Shannon. Blakes is still a year away from being able to contribute and Schutt is likely 2.

This isn't Tape in the Ivy League. This is the Big 10 this kid played in. He does foul at a high rate and foot speed is a bit slow. But there's no reason he can't give us 10-15 minutes per game like Theo did. He's got some clever low post moves and can use both hands. 10-15 minutes per game on average, depending on the circumstance would be my guess. He's played 3 years and is arguably our most experienced player. And he can save Lively and Flip from foul trouble.

Last edited:
If keels returns, we don't need a difference maker transfer...imo

He’s not coming back. If he had the intention of doing so he would have simply stayed and not declared .

I agree with you that Keels has no intention of coming back, but I’ve seen a lot of cases where a player goes to the NBA combine and gets feedback that he’s not expecting (both bad and good). Think Keels knows that this has some possibility of happening or he would’ve signed with an agent.

I agree with you that Keels has no intention of coming back, but I’ve seen a lot of cases where a player goes to the NBA combine and gets feedback that he’s not expecting (both bad and good). Think Keels knows that this has some possibility of happening or he would’ve signed with an agent.
It also holds up the staff and any significant sg in the portal from coming to Duke . Happy if he returns but think he will get good feed back in work outs .

Keels didn't mention anything about testing the waters, so I assume he's gone. The door is still open, but I would guess the staff is planning for him being gone. Keels is an early second round pick at worst, so unless he's not okay with that will not come back. Hopefully it won't scare away the top transfers.

Pretty sure he has signed with an agent, but as long as they are NCAA approved, they can do that now and still return.

^Agreed and I think the staff is waiting on that determination as well. If he stays in, I think that there might be the possibility of a reclass. I still think that Foster, for example, might be waiting on clarity.

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT