ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

I hope we get either Keels back or a good transfer guard. I like Whitehead better at the 3.

I hope we get either Keels back or a good transfer guard. I like Whitehead better at the 3.
Don’t count on Keels back . As effective as Duke has been in the portal. Don’t see a good guard coming if there is a thought Keels returns .

Baylor Scheierman has narrowed his list of potential transfer options to 10, per source:

Arkansas
Clemson
Creighton
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi State
Nebraska
Texas
Wake Forest

Already conducted 8 in-home visits.

Planning on announcing his decision in the next two weeks.

A top 10 list for a transfer? Portal has gotten out of control.

Duke needs one experienced BIG.
Jon should hopefully be able to lock up Young from Northwestern when he visits this weekend. He could start at a place like BC (which he is also planning to visit, Notre Dame too) , so it will put the "good transfers don't want to come off the bench" theory to the test.

Last edited:
Jon should hopefully be able to lock up Young from Northwestern when he visits this weekend. He could start at a place like BC (which he is also planning to visit, Notre Dame too) , so it will put the "good transfers don't want to come off the bench" theory to the test.
He's coming tomorrow and don't be shocked if we lock him up pretty quickly. The staff love him and I think the feeling is mutual.

Reactions: christophero
He’s came off the bench his entire college career. He wasn’t set to start until this season and he averaged nine points I think on a couple games. I wouldn’t say good but I’d say he’s a serviceable big for practice and to back up the front court . I don’t know if he’s start anywhere except maybe the two schools he’s still set to visit .

Young would be perfect and frankly, he could get a lot more minutes than Theo did. I see a 4 man front court between Flip, MItchell, Lively and Young. I don't think Lively is ready for more than 22-25 minutes a game banging with the 22 year olds he'll see in the ACC, and Mitchell will definitely play some 3. Not counting my chickens yet though, even as magical as Scheyer has been.

He’s came off the bench his entire college career. He wasn’t set to start until this season and he averaged nine points I think on a couple games. I wouldn’t say good but I’d say he’s a serviceable big for practice and to back up the front court . I don’t know if he’s start anywhere except maybe the two schools he’s still set to visit .
He started his entire red shirt freshman season. Has come off the bench since then and been more than serviceable. This kid can get going and has put up good numbers against competition in the Big Ten. He knows his place will be off the bench at Duke. We'd be lucky to get him.

He started his entire red shirt freshman season. Has come off the bench since then and been more than serviceable. This kid can get going and has put up good numbers against competition in the Big Ten. He knows his place will be off the bench at Duke. We'd be lucky to get him.
Not saying he won’t be good just not a starter. Also agreeing with what you just said he’ll come off the bench and push the guys in practice . I saw where he started his freshman season and went back to the bench after. Hey I like the kid think he’ll be an awesome addition to both playing and most importantly leadership. I just think anyone who thinks he’s taking minutes from lively or Flip for that matter should lower expectations. Shoot, I’ll be glad if he can keep lively at 25-30 minutes. Means he won’t get burnt out quick and leaves Flip and Mitchell to man the four giving Duke some much needed rotation .

Trust on this one, Young is good. He started as a freshman, came off the bench but played around 18 minutes per game and was projected to start this next year. I've watched footage and gameplay of him. He's that classic Big 10 bruiser. Averaged 9 and 4. He could start for us if one of our bigs got hurt or sick. He has two more years of eligibility left and he won't go pro. (He's not NBA material) He could probably give us more than Theo did, or at least as much. he is a widebody with broad shoulders. He'd be perfect in that 15 mpg role and he doesn't have injury concerns like Theo did. He has a nice jump hook and can score down low and is a decent rebounder. He's a bit slow so not sure he can play the 4. He is the perfect complement to our young stars up front. And while his numbers are modest, he's done it in the Big 10.

Virginia added a good transfer (Vander Plas from Miami in the MAC) despite having their top 7 guys back.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Trust on this one, Young is good. He started as a freshman, came off the bench but played around 18 minutes per game and was projected to start this next year. I've watched footage and gameplay of him. He's that classic Big 10 bruiser. Averaged 9 and 4. He could start for us if one of our bigs got hurt or sick. He has two more years of eligibility left and he won't go pro. (He's not NBA material) He could probably give us more than Theo did, or at least as much. he is a widebody with broad shoulders. He's be perfect in that 15 mpg role and he doesn't have injury concerns like Theo did. He has a nice jump hook and can score down low and is a decent rebounder. He's a bit slow so not sure he can play the 4. He is the perfect complement to our young stars up front. And while his numbers are modest, he's done it in the Big 10.

Virginia added a good transfer (Vander Plas from Miami in the MAC) despite having their top 7 guys back.
I like it. Just saw where Reeves is listed at 6’11” and 210 pounds . If he doesn’t red shirt Duke will have some very interesting line ups next year. Could easily see a line up of Roach , Whitehead, Mitchell, Flip and lively still at some point . That’s just to versatile of a defensive unit that can switch outside of Flip but you could easily replace him with Mitchel and possibly Baker or Catchings at the three.

Just read a good Northwestern article on Young. Was an end of the year evaluation going over his strengths and weaknesses. (I've already talked about his strengths) Seems his playing time lessened a bit down the stretch of last season, which may have led to his transfer. Picks up too many fouls, not a great shot blocker and "not the physical force on defense one would expect a 6-10, 240 pound player to be." Also his foul shooting could be better. Still would be a very good backup center for us. Described as Chris Collin's "favorite big man off the bench" and a likely starter next year. Better on offense than Theo but Theo was a better defender.

Last edited:
Crazy world…was on FB and one of my buddies who I used to play AAU ball with negotiated the Nijel Pack “NIL” and is Baylor Scheierman’s agent.

Need to get to work on this one

Reactions: pisgah101
Players transferring because they don't make enough NIL. That's...not good. Miami has landed several transfers, the player is probably upset that the new guys make more NIL than him. Hopefully we get some good news this weekend on the center Young and a shooting guard. This board could use some good news.

Last edited:
Players transferring because they don't make enough NIL. That's...not good. Miami has landed several transfers, the player is probably upset that the new guys make more NIL than him. Hopefully we get some good news this weekend on the center Young and a shooting guard. This board could use some good news.
The NIL deals like this, where players are asking for more money because a new guy just came in and got more, is going to truly be like Free Agency. It seems like each year in the pros, the next contract sets the market for the new free agents.

Think about the Miami situation then the Baylor guy from South Dakota State. It's going to be a strange world when some guy like Baylor blows up and gets some big NIL deal, while the current players say that will transfer unless their NIL gets bigger. It's hard to wrap your head around how this will play out.

Prob just as pissed that the twin girls for the women's team got 500k each.

NIL is a reflection of our society. Everyone feels shafted by “the man” or “the system.”
News Flash: you are in college. Do your one year, or however long you “have” to be in school, then go make your millions.

Everybody is a victim. Cry me a river.

Pat Baldwin was Rodney Hood. If he can get to 80% of that production he will be okay.

Used to be playing time was the key, now its money...so no different than the NBA at this point. How sad that CBB has fallen into this trap so quickly.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
Used to be playing time was the key, now its money...so no different than the NBA at this point. How sad that CBB has fallen into this trap so quickly.
End CBB. It's too late to fix it.
In fact, end BB altogether.
The world has enough basketball players.

Wait until these college players get hit for major taxes. Then you have the while state taxes thing...

I think he just told on the college too. I thought NIL was done by sponsors (big business) . I’m lost on the entire thing now because unless your in non stop commercials for the school how is the school responsible for what you make ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT