ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer, 4 players meet with the media last Wednesday

kwyjibos13

All American
Nov 24, 2012

I was listening to a podcast talking about this. Said Kyle stated his injury was from back before college and he just didn't have a six month window to takecare of it until now. Now, three months along, Kyle stated he already feels a ton better with more flexibility. If he did what he did last year and was never 100%, oh good lord... Makes even more sense he came back.

Players said Scheyer walks around more confident in himself this summer.

This could be a fun year...

Saw Mitchell dunking in a new practice video. Interesting that Roach said he was planning on returning all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I remember how great Mitchell looked in the scrimmages last year. If he plays like that all year he could end up being our best guy, or close to it. He is going to be a problem.

In all the talk about who plays the 5, we forget that Mitchell can easily slide to the 4 position, especially since it looks like he added some muscle.
I’m loving the potential of a three guard lineup, or playing Proctor/Roach/Power/Mitchell/Flip

Oh sorry, I could’ve worded it better, but I was thinking we can use a three-guard lineup with MM and Flip at the 4 and 5, OR we can play Power at the 3 instead of a guard but still have some shooting
Lots of possibilities. I like it.

Definitely Roach, Proctor, Mitchell and Flip. Then McCain, Power, Stewart, or Young depending on the match up. Schutt could play the 3 as well. We could even throw Blakes in there for a 3 guard pressing line up. I would platoon 5 and 5, but I'm a little crazy.

Definitely Roach, Proctor, Mitchell and Flip. Then McCain, Power, Stewart, or Young depending on the match up. Schutt could play the 3 as well. We could even throw Blakes in there for a 3 guard pressing line up. I would platoon 5 and 5, but I'm a little crazy.
I agree with your 4 starters, but think the last starting spot will be a battle between Foster, McCain, Power, and Reeves. The way the players are talking, it sounds like Flip is going to play a lot of 5 this year, so it's likely going to come down to Foster, McCain, or Power.

Reactions: christophero
Amazing that we have Roach and Young, two of the most experienced players in college basketball. And Flip, Mitchell and Proctor, 3 five stars with a whole year of starting under their belt. How times have changed.

I think we will start Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Flip, and Young early in the season. I know a lot of people don’t want to see Young in the starting lineup, but Jon will go with the experience first and gradually work another player in the starting lineup. It will be interesting to see who it is.

Reactions: Mac9192 and Liftee
I think we will start Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Flip, and Young early in the season. I know a lot of people don’t want to see Young in the starting lineup, but Jon will go with the experience first and gradually work another player in the starting lineup. It will be interesting to see who it is.
I am in the camp of dukesince. He's right. It's probably not the "People's Choice" five, but early on at least, I can see Jon going with it. I think the ultimate replacement will be TJ Power.

OFC

Reactions: jamsession3
I am in the camp of dukesince. He's right. It's probably not the "People's Choice" five, but early on at least, I can see Jon going with it. I think the ultimate replacement will be TJ Power.

OFC
Allow T. Powers to develop at his pace. It's great to have his talent, but no need to rush his process.

I don’t mind Young as a place-holder starter early on when the freshman (mainly Stewart, Power) & Reeves get up to speed. The hope I’m assuming is for someone to pop, would be great if it’s Reeves as he is the only “natural 5” we have outside of Young.

We have tons of 5-star experience on this roster. And while the thought of Young starting at the 5 scares me early on, something to remember…all rosters are in flux/turmoil due to the insanity of the transfer portal. Arizona and Baylor, who we play early on, have completely new teams. Our competition is going to have major adjustments and things to figure out early on, we should have much better Nov/Dec chemistry.

I don’t mind Young as a place-holder starter early on when the freshman (mainly Stewart, Power) & Reeves get up to speed. The hope I’m assuming is for someone to pop, would be great if it’s Reeves as he is the only “natural 5” we have outside of Young.

We have tons of 5-star experience on this roster. And while the thought of Young starting at the 5 scares me early on, something to remember…all rosters are in flux/turmoil due to the insanity of the transfer portal. Arizona and Baylor, who we play early on, have completely new teams. Our competition is going to have major adjustments and things to figure out early on, we should have much better Nov/Dec chemistry.
What helps DUKE in Nov/Dec/Jan is chemistry. We have developed the relationships and expectations. The major concern is assimilating the freshmen into the rotation. That's a good, pleasant, and positive concern to have. Outside of Kansas, Purdue, Marquette, and maybe a few others, no one is bringing a core back like DUKE.

I could see this. In all likelihood, Proctor, Roach, Mitchell and Flip will start. And we know barring foul trouble or injury, these 4 will play 30 minutes or more a game the closer we get to March.

I still think this season will require more from Jon than last season. A lot of talent and only 5 spots on the court.

So we go to VT for the 20th year in a row?
Also, Syracuse no longer a home/road annually.
Besides Wake and the Cheats, who we always play twice, everybody we played twice in 23 we only play at their place. Everyone we only played at their place in 23, we play at home. Everyone we played only at home against in 23, we play twice.

So in 25, we play the cheats, wake, Virginia, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse twice, only home against BC, NCST, VT, and Miami, and only away Louisville, PITT, ND, and FSU.

Some writers are now discussing Power as a starter. It would give us good size, assuming he can guard 3's. Mitchell seemed more effective as a 4. Power is definitely getting a lot of summer buzz; hopefully he is an impact freshman.

Besides Wake and the Cheats, who we always play twice, everybody we played twice in 23 we only play at their place. Everyone we only played at their place in 23, we play at home. Everyone we played only at home against in 23, we play twice.

So in 25, we play the cheats, wake, Virginia, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse twice, only home against BC, NCST, VT, and Miami, and only away Louisville, PITT, ND, and FSU.

Interesting analysis. Thank you.

we are a little over 100 days until the tip off!!! I think the blue devils are going to be a lot of fun to watch this season. No doubt in my mind the players have the loss to Tennessee way in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT