ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt game postponed

It was a statement about college basketball not just Duke

Yep. Our kids are being ripped off. It's that simple to me. This isn't fair to them. At all. Those saying it's risky, are just buying this nonsense. We are at risk everyday we drive, work, fly... and spare me the spreading of it. We can't get by this by staying cooped up. Enough is enough. Let the kids be kids.

So if god forbid one of our players caught it and something worse than just getting sick happened how would you feel then? You're just being selfish IMO....no I repeat no basketball game is worth that

Reactions: LONMUNU
I think it’s safe to”assume” kids want to be kids and play basketball. ESPECIALLY at a time like this when they’re in a damn bubble 24-6.
It’s not safe to assume that. It’s safe to assume these kids have other things on their mind like family, safety, if their next game is going to be cancelled, etc

It’s also safe to assume that some people want to pretend there isint an ongoing pandemic. It easy to say “man up and play” when your sitting in the friendly confines of your own home

So if god forbid one of our players caught it and something worse than just getting sick happened how would you feel then? You're just being selfish IMO....no I repeat no basketball game is worth that
What if one of our players caught the flu and got real sick, or collapsed while running down court? What’s your point, Negative Nancy? Read the risks on kids. This is scare tactics at the highest.

A person can believe it’s real and also want to live at the same time. It’s not just something I say from the safety of my home either. I have worked every day during all this, and wear these masks when I go into a place that requires them. Do I like to? No.
Let these kids play, and those of you that are too worried, or are older with weaker health, stay home and be safe.

Reactions: Kobe #1
What if one of our players caught the flu and got real sick, or collapsed while running down court? What’s your point, Negative Nancy? Read the risks on kids. This is scare tactics at the highest.

A person can believe it’s real and also want to live at the same time. It’s not just something I say from the safety of my home either. I have worked every day during all this, and wear these masks when I go into a place that requires them. Do I like to? No.
Let these kids play, and those of you that are too worried, or are older with weaker health, stay home and be safe.

Negative Nancy because you don't agree with me....get over yourself

And to compare this to the flu imo is just idiotic.

I've worked thru all of it too....do you want a cookie or something geez man

I just think any risk is too much risk....it's a damn game...people are selfish IMO

Now not saying you specifically but alot are

I just think any risk is too much risk....it's a damn game...people are selfish IMO

Preach!

Why do people just assume the kids want to play? It’s possible they have other things like family and safety on their minds. Besides many of these players have one foot in the NBA
Exactly. The women certainly did not want to play given the protocols the other schools were using, which they felt were unsafe.

Agreed Coach Capel was ready to let his players play. Coach K backed out. If Coach is scared or being over protective or whatever you want to call it, it is still not fair for the kids that are wanting to play. Coach should stay home and let one of the young coaches carry the torch.
where did you see that Capel was willing to play?

And to compare this to the flu imo is just idiotic.

Me saying I worked through all of it was in reference to @Duke1783 saying it’s easy to sit at home and say what should be done. I get using precautions, I have them in place at my business. But, this is too much. Our kids are losing out on time. They won’t get this back either. It’s a naive comparison to say they’re at risk. They are being cheated. It’s that simple. To say it’s just a game is very self centered. These kids need to be allowed to be kids.

You won’t even address the extreme low risk the kids have. Instead, you do as all those who fear this virus do, you try shaming the ones who say enough is enough.

Reactions: Kobe #1
Me saying I worked through all of it was in reference to @Duke1783 saying it’s easy to sit at home and say what should be done. I get using precautions, I have them in place at my business. But, this is too much. Our kids are losing out on time. They won’t get this back either. It’s a naive comparison to say they’re at risk. They are being cheated. It’s that simple. To say it’s just a game is very self centered. These kids need to be allowed to be kids.

You won’t even address the extreme low risk the kids have. Instead, you do as all those who fear this virus do, you try shaming the ones who say enough is enough.

I'm sorry but it IS just a game....and as I've said any risk is too much IMO

Not shaming you at all I'm just a realist...and honestly don't care if we play another game this year...if we do fine....if not I understand

Here is the problem with six weeks postponement. What 17,18,19 year old after two weeks won’t break confinement?

In six weeks time a player can still walk into a corner store report to practice and have made contact with the virus

If you could some how get every team to get vaccinated on the same day with in the two required vaccines I’d say do a sixty day postponement then play in March.

Other problem is , most teams have already played ten games. NCAA is only requiring that a team play 13 games three of those games must be out of conference to qualify for the tourney. So what’s not to say that teams who reach that number, especially teams in the top 25 once they have reached it don’t just shut down until the tourney?

I don’t think a postponement is coming it’s either going to be play or cancel the season .

I think we are all guessing at what the players want to do, and what their parents want them to do.

I haven't seen any authoritative source say Duke backed out of the game. I read that more than one Pitt player or staff member came down with COVID. Again, I don't know or understand the rules, but it wasn't Duke that randomly decided not to play.

Reactions: sheyduke

I never accused you directly of that but if ya spot it ya got it

Keyontae Johnson's heart issues may have been covid-related. The kid passed out and had to be in a medically induced comma. Under what metric is this considered low risk?

Reactions: Duke1783
Apparently his heart issue has been linked to covid. He had that virus over the summer.
Gotcha, i haven’t seen anything official. I’ve seen a lot of rumors. So it’s being reported that his heart issue was linked to Covid? What were his prior conditions?

I think it’s safe to”assume” kids want to be kids and play basketball. ESPECIALLY at a time like this when they’re in a damn bubble 24-6.
True, and there are people who want to reopen their businesses but can’t without being arrested. And people who want to go to church but can’t.

Reactions: dukesince91
Gotcha, i haven’t seen anything official. I’ve seen a lot of rumors. So it’s being reported that his heart issue was linked to Covid? What were his prior conditions?
There are a few articles finally about the link but no one is talking about Johnson's symptoms because of HIPPA. His parents apparently said they would be willing to discuss the ordeal if it could help other athletes but so far they have not divulged anything. I imagine that worrying about whether their son would survive and whether there would be long term damage has kept them plenty busy.

I'm sorry but it IS just a game....and as I've said any risk is too much IMO

Not shaming you at all I'm just a realist...and honestly don't care if we play another game this year...if we do fine....if not I understand

So by this logic kids should never play basketball. They have a higher risk of dying from the seasonal flu. Kids play every year when they don't feel good but we don't cancel games. Get a grip. There is always risk (flying to the games, the bus ride to the game.....etc.) Stop buying into the fear of healthy young men playing basketball and being at risk.

True, and there are people who want to reopen their businesses but can’t without being arrested. And people who want to go to church but can’t.
And people who don’t care if they get others sick and kill them

So by this logic kids should never play basketball. They have a higher risk of dying from the seasonal flu. Kids play every year when they don't feel good but we don't cancel games. Get a grip. There is always risk (flying to the games, the bus ride to the game.....etc.) Stop buying into the fear of healthy young men playing basketball and being at risk.
Congrats on the dumbest post of the year

Young incoming Congressman from Louisiana just died from COVID. Is this the first congressman to die of COVID?

41 years old. No preexisting conditions

I think the coaches catching Covid are of extreme importance, and obviously more risky. The age of the politician above is of concern, but more so the coaches in 60s and 70s. OFC

I think the coaches catching Covid are of extreme importance, and obviously more risky. The age of the politician above is of concern, but more so the coaches in 60s and 70s. OFC
Kirk Herbstreet announced yesterday he has it.

Kirk Herbstreet announced yesterday he has it.

Wow, best wishes for speedy recovery.They've done a good job this year on social distancing on Gameday, and isolating Corso, OFC

Last edited:
We always talk about the very rare cases of young people having severe issues with covid and the even more rare instances in which they die from covid. But we never talk about the overwhelming majority who have had it and saw very minor symptoms or didn't have any symptoms at all.

Anytime a young person suffers from it, got your typical crowd rushing to say I told you so. Anytime you point out how rare it is, well you don't care about other people.

People get sick. If it's not covid, it will be the flu, or pneumonia or bronchitis or streptococcus or some other illness. Protect the vulnerable and let the damn kids play.

We always talk about the very rare cases of young people having severe issues with covid and the even more rare instances in which they die from covid. But we never talk about the overwhelming majority who have had it and saw very minor symptoms or didn't have any symptoms at all.

Anytime a young person suffers from it, got your typical crowd rushing to say I told you so. Anytime you point out how rare it is, well you don't care about other people.

People get sick. If it's not covid, it will be the flu, or pneumonia or bronchitis or streptococcus or some other illness. Protect the vulnerable and let the damn kids play.
I agree with this. No one should be saying it isn’t an issue, clearly it is. But out of curiosity i went to the cdc site to view the numbers of cases and deaths, particularly in young people. For ages 18-29 it’s over 3M confirmed cases, 1200 deaths. That’s .037% of cases that result in fatality. It’s even less the younger you go on the chart. It doesn’t mean there isn’t “any risk” but the risk Is virtually nothing. To the point above, you here about the one offs, the outliers, like the kid who died at App State, or the 41 year old congressman elect from LA. Outliers happen in every healthcare scenario, but you don’t base your entire life around the outlier when you have assessed the realistic risks.

Speaking of assessing risks, and i see this posted a lot- well what about young kids spreading it- what about coaches, refs. A couple things- one, these guys are naturally in a bubble as it is. Two, they’re tested regularly. So if one has it, they get isolated, so in no scenario during a game would it get transmitted.There are no fans, or few fans in the stands.Not that it would matter since they’re not in any sort of range of contact with anyone playing, coaching or reffing the game.

As far as Coach K goes, yes by age he is in the most at risk age bracket. He’s also healthy. So even if he were to get it, the odds of fatality are extremely low. But he should be more careful.

As for the “long term risks”, we don’t know what those are yet. That’s all conjecture and opinion at this time. Could there be long term risks for some, yes. Heart related, but then again, heart disease is the number One annual killer in the usa As it is, so nothing really alters that. These kids live in a world where they take risks every time they step on the field, court, ice etc. you take risks every day in game and practice. There has not been, one player, coach, ref that has contracted and died from this virus that we know about where it happened via a game. Could it happen, sure. Will it? Maybe. But i think we are all paranoid thinking the worse every time someone tests positive. I think it’s doomsday for many of us.

we have more facts and treatments available now than ever before, this isn’t March or April. We know who’s at risk, who really isn’t and how it is spread. If you’re still scared, than shut it down and move it to March and get people vaccinated. Starting with the older Coaches and refs. Players do not need to be first in line. But after coaches and refs are vaccinated than work your way down starting by age, that seems to be common sense.

otherwise, just play the games and deal with the uncertainty of when they will happen, if at all.

The H1N1 flu accounted for 12,500 deaths in the United States. Covid deaths are over 300,000. There are some indicators that the virus effects organs and no one is yet sure whether that is long lasting. We currently have a death rate of over 3000 per day and there is a new more contagious strain of the virus that has been found in Colorado. I am absolutely amazed at the cavalier attitude that life is about risks and the risks to the kids are nil. Do we have any idea how sick the kids who don't die get? Are we really saying that getting sick is no big deal if you don't die? And as far as saying that the kids are in a bubble so they won't get get anyone else sick, is that really how we want to do things? This isolation is not easy on the kids. They don't see their family and their family cannot see them play. That may not seem like a big deal to some of you but the NBA players were fairly vocal about how much they hated their bubble and these are professionals who are paid millions to play. Not kids who are playing for free. Finally, I have not known K to be one to hide from a fight and even he is saying that we need to pause.

The H1N1 flu accounted for 12,500 deaths in the United States. Covid deaths are over 300,000. There are some indicators that the virus effects organs and no one is yet sure whether that is long lasting. We currently have a death rate of over 3000 per day and there is a new more contagious strain of the virus that has been found in Colorado. I am absolutely amazed at the cavalier attitude that life is about risks and the risks to the kids are nil. Do we have any idea how sick the kids who don't die get? Are we really saying that getting sick is no big deal if you don't die? And as far as saying that the kids are in a bubble so they won't get get anyone else sick, is that really how we want to do things? This isolation is not easy on the kids. They don't see their family and their family cannot see them play. That may not seem like a big deal to some of you but the NBA players were fairly vocal about how much they hated their bubble and these are professionals who are paid millions to play. Not kids who are playing for free. Finally, I have not known K to be one to hide from a fight and even he is saying that we need to pause.
Well said

Reactions: Quavarius

You believe what you want and I'll believe what I want....how does that sound slick?

I'm not buying into anything that's not already proven.

And don't you tell me how to feel about something ever

You will survive without your prescious basketball I promise

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT