ADVERTISEMENT

People and dogs

I'm on the 3rd dog of my life right now. She's a 3-year-old, 40-pound cuddler. We were finally moved to get a new dog b/c we wanted our oldest -- now a hs senior -- to experience a dog again before she headed off to college. Best-case scenario is that we're empty-nesters when this dog passes. We'll either travel or get another dog pretty quickly. Dogs are the best.
Dogs are beyond awesome. That’s why I have 6.

Duke getting ready for a Duke game

bEsJHl9.jpg

SJevvaf.jpg

Relaxing on vacation
9KfhZ84.jpg

Pl0YTAw.jpg

Our other dog stealing the couch on vacation
qGF0OKv.jpg

After a hike
nvZprfr.jpg

Waiting to see if I’ll let them on the bed
aH2DWZQ.jpg

He’s a big boy. We sleep comfortably at night. Both are very protective of the house. The meme below defines their outlook on life.

f8a306e58a97945140b46aa092cb80af.jpg

My pit has never met a stranger. She would invite would be killers in with a smile and wagging tail.
Our mailman told us he once got out to drop a package at the door and when he got back to his car, she was in the seat ready for a ride

Reactions: FearTheBeard
My pit has never met a stranger. She would invite would be killers in with a smile and wagging tail.
Our mailman told us he once got out to drop a package at the door and when he got back to his car, she was in the seat ready for a ride
All it would take is a tennis ball in an intruder’s hand and they’d show the intruder where the safes are.

Reactions: DukefanKY
@DukefanKY — great thread! We put our dog JJ down over Christmas. He was a vizsla — Hungarian pointer. He was out second. The first was Jake, he was Jake Junior....and it did t hurt that JJ Redick was around

Miss him all the time.

Not gonna lie. I had to rewatch ODD’s tutorial video to figure out how to post those pics. Thanks ODD!

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I know the feeling. I had to make the hardest decision ever and put my dog down this past Friday after 16 years. It killed me and we’ve been devastated since. I’ve had a few dogs but she was the best.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q9HNMCZDTi6egcSBA

Sorry for your loss. It’s the worst thing ever. I won’t lie and say it gets better, but it becomes more manageable. Those things that make you sad every day right now, eventually will make you appreciate what you had even more.

Reactions: Dad2ze
I'm on the 3rd dog of my life right now. She's a 3-year-old, 40-pound cuddler. We were finally moved to get a new dog b/c we wanted our oldest -- now a hs senior -- to experience a dog again before she headed off to college. Best-case scenario is that we're empty-nesters when this dog passes. We'll either travel or get another dog pretty quickly. Dogs are the best.

Your oldest is already a senior in HS? Wow. I remember in like ‘02 or ‘03 where you’d talk about holding her while watching a game, while she slept, and not being able to cheer.

@DukefanKY — great thread! We put our dog JJ down over Christmas. He was a vizsla — Hungarian pointer. He was out second. The first was Jake, he was Jake Junior....and it did t hurt that JJ Redick was around

Miss him all the time.

It's an old thread but all the responses were great to read and just show how important dogs really are to people

Your oldest is already a senior in HS? Wow. I remember in like ‘02 or ‘03 where you’d talk about holding her while watching a game, while she slept, and not being able to cheer.
Well, I may have mentioned it more recently, in one of our periodic how'd-you-get-your-username threads.

It was the '01 title game. She was 2 days old.

I need some input,i know there are a lot of Dog lovers on this board.I have 2 myself,one is a 5 lb morkie,she's fine,the problem is with my other dog,her name is Kristy,she is a 13 year old Lab/Shepherd cross.Up to this past summer she was 70 lbs of fun loving dog,she had steadily started to decline where now she weighs about 30 lbs and is just a mass of skin and bones.My dilemma is this...she does not seem to be in any pain and is still very happy to be around people,the down side is that she does not eat much,she sleeps most of the day and has a hard time getting up and down stairs.I've had her since she was 6 weeks old,so lately I've been asking myself if it's fair to her for me to try to keep her alive and get thru this winter so she can enjoy one more summer?It's all about quality of life and she really does not have at this time,i know some of us have gone thru this before,she is my second lab cross,my first one,Pepper,i had for 16 years and had to have her euthanized at the end,any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated

I need some input,i know there are a lot of Dog lovers on this board.I have 2 myself,one is a 5 lb morkie,she's fine,the problem is with my other dog,her name is Kristy,she is a 13 year old Lab/Shepherd cross.Up to this past summer she was 70 lbs of fun loving dog,she had steadily started to decline where now she weighs about 30 lbs and is just a mass of skin and bones.My dilemma is this...she does not seem to be in any pain and is still very happy to be around people,the down side is that she does not eat much,she sleeps most of the day and has a hard time getting up and down stairs.I've had her since she was 6 weeks old,so lately I've been asking myself if it's fair to her for me to try to keep her alive and get thru this winter so she can enjoy one more summer?It's all about quality of life and she really does not have at this time,i know some of us have gone thru this before,she is my second lab cross,my first one,Pepper,i had for 16 years and had to have her euthanized at the end,any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated
We recently had to put our dog down. He had congestive heart failure and a couple of big lypomas (fat tumors). We could not remove the lypomas because of the heart condition and the heart condition was just hard. He was always trying to come up stairs to be close to us and he could not climb. If you dog is mobile and pain-free then I would ride it out for a bit and see if there is a new "normal". Remember, even healthy dogs sleep 12-15 hours a day. I would augment your dogs food with whatever turns him on. At the end of JJ's life, he was living large on bacon, eggs, scraps of chicken and pork chops -- I was just wanting him to get more calories. Good luck through this tough time.

additional note -- I ended up putting a baby gate on the stairs so JJ would not come up. It took a few days for him to get use to, but he did.

We recently had to put our dog down. He had congestive heart failure and a couple of big lypomas (fat tumors). We could not remove the lypomas because of the heart condition and the heart condition was just hard. He was always trying to come up stairs to be close to us and he could not climb. If you dog is mobile and pain-free then I would ride it out for a bit and see if there is a new "normal". Remember, even healthy dogs sleep 12-15 hours a day. I would augment your dogs food with whatever turns him on. At the end of JJ's life, he was living large on bacon, eggs, scraps of chicken and pork chops -- I was just wanting him to get more calories. Good luck through this tough time.
Condolences, LT.
OFC

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I was in the same situation you are just a 2 weeks ago. Our dog Maggie was a Lab/Retriever mix. We had her for 16 years and got her when she was 10 weeks old. Almost a year ago I left for work and realized I forgot my lunch. I returned home to find her limping around. I thought maybe she got something stuck in her paw. I looked and she was panicked so I put her in her crate, gave her some anxiety meds, and left for work. I took her to the vet and she’d torn her CCL (our ACL/MCL). We neglected surgery because of age and price. She started to get better but these last few months she wouldn’t eat much, slept like she’s done her entire life. @dukiejay mentioned that of robbers would break in our doggie Maggie would assist. Two weeks ago we came home one night to find her laying down and not able to move. Two Fridays ago she was the same way. I’d stand her up and she’d walk a few feet and then fall over.

I told you all that to say...I feel your pain. It’s the hardest, most difficult, painful decision I’ve ever had to make. I cried like a baby all Friday. She’d given us 16 amazing years and I couldn’t stand to see her in pain. When I took her to the vet, she hated the vet but loved the doctor, weird I know. If she could’ve talked she woulda said Thank You. I’ll pray for you, your family, and that your decision be easy.

I was in the same situation you are just a 2 weeks ago. Our dog Maggie was a Lab/Retriever mix. We had her for 16 years and got her when she was 10 weeks old. Almost a year ago I left for work and realized I forgot my lunch. I returned home to find her limping around. I thought maybe she got something stuck in her paw. I looked and she was panicked so I put her in her crate, gave her some anxiety meds, and left for work. I took her to the vet and she’d torn her CCL (our ACL/MCL). We neglected surgery because of age and price. She started to get better but these last few months she wouldn’t eat much, slept like she’s done her entire life. @dukiejay mentioned that of robbers would break in our doggie Maggie would assist. Two weeks ago we came home one night to find her laying down and not able to move. Two Fridays ago she was the same way. I’d stand her up and she’d walk a few feet and then fall over.

I told you all that to say...I feel your pain. It’s the hardest, most difficult, painful decision I’ve ever had to make. I cried like a baby all Friday. She’d given us 16 amazing years and I couldn’t stand to see her in pain. When I took her to the vet, she hated the vet but loved the doctor, weird I know. If she could’ve talked she woulda said Thank You. I’ll pray for you, your family, and that your decision be easy.

Really hate that you had to do that

In my opinion, you already answered the question when you said it's all about quality of life. In @Dad2ze case, it sounds like it was time, but if you think Kristy is not in pain, I think I hold off, but that's just me. I think all you can really do is watch her and based on how she acts, try to determine what she would say if she she could tell you. I really dread the day I have to make this decision and I know I will keep asking, why not wait until tomorrow, why not next weekend. But I won't let her suffer. I'm sure you will make the right choice based on what you see

Reactions: Dad2ze
In my opinion, you already answered the question when you said it's all about quality of life. In @Dad2ze case, it sounds like it was time, but if you think Kristy is not in pain, I think I hold off, but that's just me. I think all you can really do is watch her and based on how she acts, try to determine what she would say if she she could tell you. I really dread the day I have to make this decision and I know I will keep asking, why not wait until tomorrow, why not next weekend. But I won't let her suffer. I'm sure you will make the right choice based on what you see
Thanks for the input Dukefan,if only they could speak and tell us what they want! your right tho,i'll make the right decision based on whats best for her

Went through this with our Golden Retreiver, she was 12. Increased sleep, lack of appetite (but still ate some) which led to weight loss and mobility issues... Didn’t do a vet visit because all of that is just part of old age, nothing severe that suggested illness. One morning I went to feed her a piece of bacon and she walked away. That triggered me to a vet visit. Blood work was clean, X-Rays led to an arthritis diagnosis. Our vet prescribed Rimmadyl (Not sure on exact spelling) and our Golden was full of life again. No kidding, she was even diving in the pond again. Unfortunately - 2 years later she developed liver cancer and we had to lay her down.

I tell you this because our dogs seemed to be in the same situation. Maybe making that vet visit (if you haven’t) will lead to a Rimmadyl or similar prescription. Arthritis and joint pain affect a majority of older dogs. Your dog may have multiple years left with medicinal help. It’s about $30 a month and I think there are generic (cheaper) versions if you’re on a tight budget. If you have made a vet trip and ruled that out, I wouldn’t advise euthanizing unless you think she is suffering... Given that she seems happy around people and is still willing to eat some, I don’t think she’s suffering. Ultimately you know your dog best and if you think she’s going through the ringer, the hardest thing to do is also the kindest thing to do.

Good luck man, I hope your dog finds more comfort.

Reactions: DukefanKY
Went through this with our Golden Retreiver, she was 12. Increased sleep, lack of appetite (but still ate some) which led to weight loss and mobility issues... Didn’t do a vet visit because all of that is just part of old age, nothing severe that suggested illness. One morning I went to feed her a piece of bacon and she walked away. That triggered me to a vet visit. Blood work was clean, X-Rays led to an arthritis diagnosis. Our vet prescribed Rimmadyl (Not sure on exact spelling) and our Golden was full of life again. No kidding, she was even diving in the pond again. Unfortunately - 2 years later she developed liver cancer and we had to lay her down.

I tell you this because our dogs seemed to be in the same situation. Maybe making that vet visit (if you haven’t) will lead to a Rimmadyl or similar prescription. Arthritis and joint pain affect a majority of older dogs. Your dog may have multiple years left with medicinal help. It’s about $30 a month and I think there are generic (cheaper) versions if you’re on a tight budget. If you have made a vet trip and ruled that out, I wouldn’t advise euthanizing unless you think she is suffering... Given that she seems happy around people and is still willing to eat some, I don’t think she’s suffering. Ultimately you know your dog best and if you think she’s going through the ringer, the hardest thing to do is also the kindest thing to do.

Good luck man, I hope your dog finds more comfort.
thanks for the info,i have not had her to the vet as she has shown no signs of pain or discomfort,i'll give them a call and get their recommendation,thanks again

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
thanks for the info,i have not had her to the vet as she has shown no signs of pain or discomfort,i'll give them a call and get their recommendation,thanks again
They sell a milk you can buy that’s frozen and it has turmeric in it. It helped my dog a few years ago. We mixed it with her dry food. It lasts only 10 days though. We noticed a huge improvement overall and turmeric is good for A LOT of things. You many find it in your local yuppie dog stores if you have any or PetSmart may have it.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie

Hard part about dogs is that they just can’t tell ya what’s wrong... Being that she she’s slow climbing stairs, I think that tells you that her joints are stiff or inflamed. But yeah man, giving the vet a call is the right option. They’ll know best. I ain’t an expert but I think you’ll find a solution to score some more time with your pup.

AjUDKUc.jpg
bRfgfEr.jpg
Canadian sorry dude...:( This crap kills me. Atleast she lived a long good life :)....Had to put my cat yes 1 year old cat (that was basically a dog) down personally a month ago...Not having anymore animals. I can’t take it when something happens to them....especially at an early age. Hell of a cat. Would roll around with the dogs, fetch balls, pant, eat dog food, pretty much thought he was a dog.

Last edited:
AjUDKUc.jpg
bRfgfEr.jpg
Canadian sorry dude...:( This shit kills me. Atleast she lived a long good life :)....Had to put my cat yes 1 year old cat (that was basically a dog) down personally a month ago...Not having anymore animals. I can’t take it when something happens to them....especially at an early age. Hell of a cat. Would roll around with the dogs, fetch balls, pant, eat dog food, pretty much thought he was a dog.
Agreed!!! No more animals. This ish definitely sucks!!!!

Thanks again for your kind words,i still have one dog left,she's a 5lb morkie! her name is Maggie,she is only 4 years old and today is the first day she will be home alone with no other people or dogs around,i hope she will be ok.I don't know if I will eventually get another large dog,i don't think I can do a puppy again,but perhaps a rescue,time will tell.thanks again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT