ADVERTISEMENT

People and dogs

DukefanKY

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 4, 2011
Central Ky
The skunks and dogs title kind of inspired my title, but Sophie inspired the thread. I will try not to make this too long. Anyway, if you saw my post about Memorial Day boating, you know we are at the lake. So I have a pit bull named Sophie. Sweetheart most loving dog I have ever had. She has always loved the lake, and loves nothing more than swimming out for a ball or stick that I throw in the water. She will do it until you are sick of tbrowing it. Anyway, her hair has started to fall out and last night, I figured out that I think she has gone deaf. She's 10.
How does a dog turn a grown man into a 10 year old boy? I threw the ball yesterday and she wouldn't go get it. It about killed me to know she couldn't do it anymore, and that she can't here me talk to her. After everyone went to bed, I sat outside by the campfire just holding her, getting drunk, and crying on and off for about two hours....and I don't care to admit it. She's a Dog, not a person, and I know people on this board have family members with health problems, so this is petty compared to that, but still, for me, I feel like a 10 year old boy who is losing his best friend. We are going to the vet Tuesday so see what is going on. I'm sitting out by the fire again with her tonight. Just made her a campfire hotdog and she loved it. I don't let much get to me, but this damn dog is tugging at my heart strings. I'm betting most of you have had that one dog.....the one that stands out above the rest? I guess if she is nearing the end, she gave me one last gift.....she made a 51 year old man 10 years old again.

A good dog is a family member. One of the best signs I've ever seen was at a church. It said "Be the man your dog thinks you are."
I know how you are feeling, and I wish you good luck.

That's a great quote!! And i doubt I've ever been as good as she thinks I am!!

Thoughts and prayers to you and sophie my friend. I’ve had my dog Urban wth me all day. He’s my best friend, my sidekick for sure. Walked by me while i cut the grass today, enjoyed playing with the water hose, took him to get some new treats and a new toy from petsmart. And picked him up his favorite dinner, chipotle lol. Now he’s snoring on my lap. They’re family man. I know what you mean.

Thoughts and prayers to you and sophie my friend. I’ve had my dog Urban wth me all day. He’s my best friend, my sidekick for sure. Walked by me while i cut the grass today, enjoyed playing with the water hose, took him to get some new treats and a new toy from petsmart. And picked him up his favorite dinner, chipotle lol. Now he’s snoring on my lap. They’re family man. I know what you mean.

What breed is Urban?

A pug! I had an ex who just had to have a pug, no matter how hard I fought it. I finally gave in. I wanted a pit or lab myself. But when we split i said take whatever you want when you leave. But that’s my dog lol

A pug! I had an ex who just had to have a pug, no matter how hard I fought it. I finally gave in. I wanted a pit or lab myself. But when we split i said take whatever you want when you leave. But that’s my dog lol

Wow, I had an ex that wanted pugs, so we got two......she won custody of both!!

Reactions: Duke937
It’s incredibly difficult. They’re a part of the family. In February, we had to put our yellow lab, Buddy, down. To this day, I struggle with it daily. In fact, I probably still get emotional about it a couple times per week.

Give that little girl lots of hugs and kisses.

Sorry you had to do that Jay. I'm afraid I have it coming. I've already told people at work that when it happens, I won't be in for a few days.

Nobody will be more faithful than your dog. No one.

When my dogs go, I’ll be a mess. I feel for you. All I can say is, spoil your dog. She deserves it.

I say this as someone that set up a tent with a down comforter inside as bedding and 3 new tennis balls for his two stinky dogs.

I,ve had dogs all my life,my first dog that I had after I got married was Pepper, a lab cross..i got her as a puppy,had her for 16 years.the hardest thing I ever did was had her put down,but she could no longer walk on her own.I now have 2 dogs,Christie who is another Lab cross (I've never owned a pure bred) she's getting old now too,just turned 12.i also have a small morkie (yorkie/maltese) who is only 3,i'd probably have more but don't want to push my luck with my wife!

Last edited:
My whole family are dog lovers. We had 2 Huskies that we adored. We followed that with a mutt that was the sweetest dog I have ever been around. She had the most soulful and loving eyes. Now, we have a pug that is 13 and has survived back surgery and cancer. She is losing her sight and already lost her hearing. Watching her age with all she has been through is tough but she is still full of live and love. She sleeps right between my wife and myself.

Sorry you had to do that Jay. I'm afraid I have it coming. I've already told people at work that when it happens, I won't be in for a few days.

I won’t lie....it’s one of the hardest things you will ever do in your life. Make sure you spoil her. The weekend before we put Buddy down he got loads of treats, including a steak dinner and two big bowls of popcorn. (Popcorn was his favorite...he got a small bowl every time I popped some over the years.)

Most importantly, IMO, be with her the entire time at the vet. I held Buddy in my arms and cried like a baby, but I do feel it comforted him. You want her last memories being with her best friend right by her side.

I love pit bulls. My oldest is seven years(35) in human years. I was given Athena by a good friend and she is a loving dog beyond means to my kids. I also have a chihuahua and a lab-pit mixed we rescued. As you know the chihuahua runs the house lol.

My greatest partner in Law Enforcement was my K9 Rudy. Belgium Mal. He was my ride or die. Short story. One 4th of July while working shift their were two of us officers on one went to a fire I went to a large crowd that wouldn’t dispersed. While on scene someone threw an artilery shell firecracker at my squad car exploded off the side of my car by my face. I hit the popper while I was dazed calling for back up Rudy jumped out sat right be side me and wouldn’t let a soul come near me. I managed to hook his tracking lead up to his harness and he walked a half moon around me until my partner arrived.
Dogs are mans best friend.

I had a black mountain feist by the name of Blitz. You could never ask for a better dog. When my kids would go outside and play he would sit at the edge of our property and I knew my kids were taken care of. He would just sit there, alert, looking back and forth. If someone came into the yard he would back up towards my kids, barking. It would have been an ugly sight if someone had intended to cause trouble. He had his own chair in the house and all you had to do was say "Blitz chair" and he would go and sit down. If somebody was sick, he would stay in their room with them. He could just tell when something was going on. We lost him to throat cancer at the age of 13. We have had other dogs since then but none like him and I am not sure I will allow myself to get as attached to another dog like old Blitz.

I had a black mountain feist by the name of Blitz. You could never ask for a better dog. When my kids would go outside and play he would sit at the edge of our property and I knew my kids were taken care of. He would just sit there, alert, looking back and forth. If someone came into the yard he would back up towards my kids, barking. It would have been an ugly sight if someone had intended to cause trouble. He had his own chair in the house and all you had to do was say "Blitz chair" and he would go and sit down. If somebody was sick, he would stay in their room with them. He could just tell when something was going on. We lost him to throat cancer at the age of 13. We have had other dogs since then but none like him and I am not sure I will allow myself to get as attached to another dog like old Blitz.

Thanks for sharing.

This thread has actually been pretty therapeutic for me. I put up a tough front at home for my wife and girls, and also around friends and relatives....but Buddy’s passing really has beat me up the last few months. I’m not embarrassed at all in saying he was my very best friend.

Thanks for sharing.

This thread has actually been pretty therapeutic for me. I put up a tough front at home for my wife and girls, and also around friends and relatives....but Buddy’s passing really has beat me up the last few months. I’m not embarrassed at all in saying he was my very best friend.

Yeah it's really really hard. I was a mess sitting out by the fire with Soohie the last two nights. Gonna be really really difficult when her day comes, and I think she may be my last. Don't think I want to go through it again.

Just a thought...take your time and mourn the loss of your beloved friend.At some time,take a visit to your local animal control shelter,there you will see dozens of wonderful dogs looking for homes,if you choose one of these dogs,you once again have a friend who will love you and your family unconditionally,i got my dog Christie from a shelter,best feeling I ever had walking out of there with her,she's now 12,cant imagine losing her,but when the time is right,i'll probably head back to the shelter

Just a thought...take your time and mourn the loss of your beloved friend.At some time,take a visit to your local animal control shelter,there you will see dozens of wonderful dogs looking for homes,if you choose one of these dogs,you once again have a friend who will love you and your family unconditionally,i got my dog Christie from a shelter,best feeling I ever had walking out of there with her,she's now 12,cant imagine losing her,but when the time is right,i'll probably head back to the shelter

We actually rescued our lab, too. There’s no doubt we’ll get another dog at some point, but the time just isn’t right now.

Reactions: dakid_0812
I think the hardest thing when that time comes is actually choosing a day. I know I will forever be saying " why not wait till tomorrow"? If she could answer, would se say wait till tomorrow?

It’s definitely not easy when you know that your dog/best friend is near the end of their life. In my 41+ years of life I’ve had many dogs and had 3 that I was lucky enough to have around for 10+ years. A Miniature Poodle that lived to be 16 years old, a Lab/Chow mix that lived to be around 10-12 years old and another Miniature Poodle that lived to be around 10 years old. I currently have a Chocolate Lab that’s about 5 1/2 years old that I don’t get to spend as much time with as I’d like to because of health/medical issues that I’ve been dealing with but when I do get to spend time with him he keeps me thoroughly entertained and has me constantly laughing at his craziness.

(Funny story) I have a huskie who locked herself in my truck. (Electric locks). I guess she stepped on the switch. it was 100 degrees outside. All the wiindows were up and the truck was off. I was just running in the gas station for a drink. Why I cut the truck off??? Who knows. I had no spare key or time for a (real) plan because of the heat really lol. (In my mind) Rural area. There was about 10 min of me trying to get her to step back on the switch lmao. Wasn’t happening . So I picked up a rock and was trying to gently throw it to break the back side window lol. After a couple tries of no success, the last throw went through the window, and bounced off the top of my subwoofers, and went out the other window as well. Why I didn’t just hold!!!! The rock!! and hit it!!! I still don’t know!!!. My guess is I thought my arm would get amputated or some crap. Point is I’d do anything for my animals and I panic lol. I am more careful now about everything I do, and not trying to hurry hurry rush make mistakes type of stuff. Not thinking. The simplest stuff can turn to chaos if you just don’t slow down. I’m not just talking about the rock lmao. Just everything . The whole situation could have been avoided by simply putting the windows down a little , or leaving the truck on with ac might have saved 2 windows, and time to get a slimjim or something. Or take the dang keys!!!! Out!!! Lmao.

Last edited:
(Funny story) I have a huskie who locked herself in my truck. (Electric locks). I guess she stepped on the switch. it was 100 degrees outside. All the wiindows were up and the truck was off. I was just running in the gas station for a drink. Why I cut the truck off??? Who knows. I had no spare key or time for a (real) plan because of the heat really lol. (In my mind) Rural area. There was about 10 min of me trying to get her to step back on the switch lmao. Wasn’t happening . So I picked up a rock and was trying to gently throw it to break the back side window lol. After a couple tries of no success, the last throw went through the window, and bounced off the top of my subwoofers, and went out the other window as well. Why I didn’t just hold!!!! The rock!! and hit it!!! I still don’t know!!!. My guess is I thought my arm would get amputated or some crap. Point is I’d do anything for my animals and I panic lol. I am more careful now about everything I do, and not trying to hurry hurry rush make mistakes type of stuff. Not thinking. The simplest stuff can turn to chaos if you just don’t slow down. I’m not just talking about the rock lmao. Just everything . The whole situation could have been avoided by simply putting the windows down a little , or leaving the truck on with ac might have saved 2 windows, and time to get a slimjim or something. Or take the dang keys!!!! Out!!! Lmao.
Your story reminds me of a funny story about another dog I had when I was younger. Back around 2000 when we got about 2 feet of snow here in North Carolina the snow had my dog trapped in his dog house, so my dad brought him in the house and put him in our boiler room. While in there my dog went through a hole under the steps and went under the house and came in through a hole under the steps in my dad’s work room and went up into the attic and couldn’t figure out how to get back down out of the attic, so my dad had to go up into the attic and bring him down.

May have gotten some good news! I have worked at the company I am at for a little over 29 years. I have only called in Maybe 6 or 7 times total, and I always felt bad about doing it. Today I didn't feel bad at all. I called in and took her to the vet. He said he thinks that all her symptoms, the hair loss, hearing loss, weight gain, and low energy are all from a thyroid problem. I was assuming old age, but he said he thinks she has hyperthyroid, and can be treated with medicine and back to normal In a few weeks. He took some blood to send off and will know in a few days. I was expecting him to tell me she's just getting old and shutting down, but he doesn't think so, so we will see!!!

May have gotten some good news! I have worked at the company I am at for a little over 29 years. I have only called in Maybe 6 or 7 times total, and I always felt bad about doing it. Today I didn't feel bad at all. I called in and took her to the vet. He said he thinks that all her symptoms, the hair loss, hearing loss, weight gain, and low energy are all from a thyroid problem. I was assuming old age, but he said he thinks she has hyperthyroid, and can be treated with medicine and back to normal In a few weeks. He took some blood to send off and will know in a few days. I was expecting him to tell me she's just getting old and shutting down, but he doesn't think so, so we will see!!!
That's awesome!

Reactions: DukefanKY
It is very hard to watch your favorite dog nearing the end of their journey. My 120 pound Lola Belle (Mastiff) nearly made it to ten. The last two years of her life had spinal and TPLO (knee) surgeries, and wore adult diapers the last year. Nothing can ever compare or replace a good dog. I miss my Lola every day.

That’s great to hear. Veterinary medicine has progressed a lot in the past few years so you should be encouraged by that news. We have 6 dogs and love them like they were our children. 5 of our dogs are registered pet therapy dogs and we do a lot of activities with them in our area with the Special Olympics crew and the schools. Our local hospital has recently implemented pet therapy for rehab and other patients. I see what an impact my dogs have on the kids and adults they visit with and how much happiness and joy they can bring.

That’s great to hear. Veterinary medicine has progressed a lot in the past few years so you should be encouraged by that news. We have 6 dogs and love them like they were our children. 5 of our dogs are registered pet therapy dogs and we do a lot of activities with them in our area with the Special Olympics crew and the schools. Our local hospital has recently implemented pet therapy for rehab and other patients. I see what an impact my dogs have on the kids and adults they visit with and how much happiness and joy they can bring.

It's awesome that you donate your time doing that.

Someone said dogs were good people. How true that is and to prove it I'll repeat a fictional story again. Just lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for just 30 minutes. Your dog will love you more than ever when you finally let him out and never have an angry thought about it. Not so with your wife as she will never get over it and might castrate you as you sleep.

I'm nearly 68 in years and have had 4 dogs in my life. Tramp was a boxer and and pit bull mixed who was my great protector as I grew up from age 5 or 6. He got hit by a car as he slept in the road at age 19 and My Mom had him put to down while i was at school. Elmoe was a mixed lab and18 when I finally had to put him down because he couldn't see, hardly hear and cripple . Oliver my miniature dachshund had a heart attack on the way to the vet at age 13 and Simba my Sheltie is pushing 8 and I keep telling him how lucky he is to be my dog. Dogs treat us and love us humans better than we sometimes show them yet they still worship us.

Last edited:
Someone said dogs were good people. How true that is and to prove it I'll repeat a fictional story again. Just lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for just 30 minutes. Your dog will love you more than ever when you finally let him out and never have an angry thought about it. Not so with your wife as she will never get over it and might castrate you as you sleep.

I'm nearly 68 in years and have had 4 dogs in my life. Tramp was a boxer and and pit bull mixed who was my great protector as I grew up from age 5 or 6. He got hit by a car as he slept in the road at age 19 and My Mom had him put to down while i was at school. Elmoe was a mixed lab and18 when I finally had to put him down because he couldn't see, hardly hear and criple . Oliver my miniature dachshund had a heart attack on the way to the vet at age 13 and Simba my Sheltie is pushing 8 and I keep telling him how lucky he is to be my dog. Dogs treat us and love us humans better than we sometimes show them yet they still worship us.

Very well stated......I may try that trunk thing this weekend.....ill let you know how it comes out!!

I loved reading this post, DukefanKY. Very happy for you and Sophie! Count your blessings.

I'm nearly 68 in years and have had 4 dogs in my life. Tramp was a boxer and and pit bull mixed who was my great protector as I grew up from age 5 or 6. He got hit by a car as he slept in the road at age 19 and My Mom had him put to down while i was at school. Elmoe was a mixed lab and18 when I finally had to put him down because he couldn't see, hardly hear and cripple . Oliver my miniature dachshund had a heart attack on the way to the vet at age 13 and Simba my Sheltie is pushing 8 and I keep telling him how lucky he is to be my dog. Dogs treat us and love us humans better than we sometimes show them yet they still worship us.

Good to see you posting, gotta....and great post, to boot. Still thinking of you and your family.

Your story reminds me of a funny story about another dog I had when I was younger. Back around 2000 when we got about 2 feet of snow here in North Carolina the snow had my dog trapped in his dog house, so my dad brought him in the house and put him in our boiler room. While in there my dog went through a hole under the steps and went under the house and came in through a hole under the steps in my dad’s work room and went up into the attic and couldn’t figure out how to get back down out of the attic, so my dad had to go up into the attic and bring him down.
Haha escape artist. I got a lot of funny stories. Animals just make you happy. I got a lot of sad stories too. :( Glad KY got some good news.

Haha escape artist. I got a lot of funny stories. Animals just make you happy. I got a lot of sad stories too. :( Glad KY got some good news.
My Chocolate Lab that I have now is a true escape artist. With the laws we have in my county outside dogs have to be kept in a dog pen and he kept digging out. When he’d dig a hole we’d put cinder blocks and wood logs in it but he would just use his paws to pull the cinder blocks and wood logs out or dig another hole. He dug 2 different holes and no matter how many times I put the cinder blocks and wood logs back in the holes he kept using his paws to pull them out so we eventually had to go buy a long cable to keep him on but he’s been through several cables because he breaks them. He’s been through like 4-5 cables so far because he’s so strong and he weighs between 70-80 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I had a Border Collie mix. He looked just like a Border Collie BUT - he was about 90 pounds and about the size of a German Shepherd.

He had all the agility of a Border Collie in that big body. He used to do standing jumps into my truck - with the tailgate UP.

He kept escaping from his outdoor run by going over it. I added 4 foot in height to my 4 foot fence and he could STILL get over it.

Haven't had any escape issues with Sophie....she stays in the house, and doesn't have any thumbs, so she can't open doors!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT