ADVERTISEMENT

People and dogs

I'm a cat man personally but I love dogs and have one right now. She's as smart as the come and as dumb as they come as well, Just depends on the time of the day. Lord help I love that dog though. She never barks unless prompted and sits on the couch and sleeps for hours and hours. My kinda dog.

2e1su1l.jpg
I meant to post this sooner but I forgot. I’ve had this guy for about 6 months now. His name is Duke, yeah I’m that guy. He drives me insane sometimes, but i honestly couldn’t Imagine life without him now. And before you all get on my case, he’s been trained not to get on the counter now. But he was hungry and wanted to cook himself some food.

Last edited:
The skunks and dogs title kind of inspired my title, but Sophie inspired the thread. I will try not to make this too long. Anyway, if you saw my post about Memorial Day boating, you know we are at the lake. So I have a pit bull named Sophie. Sweetheart most loving dog I have ever had. She has always loved the lake, and loves nothing more than swimming out for a ball or stick that I throw in the water. She will do it until you are sick of tbrowing it. Anyway, her hair has started to fall out and last night, I figured out that I think she has gone deaf. She's 10.
How does a dog turn a grown man into a 10 year old boy? I threw the ball yesterday and she wouldn't go get it. It about killed me to know she couldn't do it anymore, and that she can't here me talk to her. After everyone went to bed, I sat outside by the campfire just holding her, getting drunk, and crying on and off for about two hours....and I don't care to admit it. She's a Dog, not a person, and I know people on this board have family members with health problems, so this is petty compared to that, but still, for me, I feel like a 10 year old boy who is losing his best friend. We are going to the vet Tuesday so see what is going on. I'm sitting out by the fire again with her tonight. Just made her a campfire hotdog and she loved it. I don't let much get to me, but this damn dog is tugging at my heart strings. I'm betting most of you have had that one dog.....the one that stands out above the rest? I guess if she is nearing the end, she gave me one last gift.....she made a 51 year old man 10 years old again.
Brother, I feel your pain. We are nearing the end of the road for my daughter's dog Angel. She's 12 and been slowing down for the better part of a year. I'm pretty sure she's blind in one eye and can barely hear now. In the spring she stopped going down the steps to go outside. We have to pick her up and carry her out to do her business. She sits in the living room and whimpers and cries when we aren't in their with her. I don't think she can see well enough to figure out what room we disappeared too. It is heart breaking. I know its time to help her move on, but we haven't found it in our hearts to be able to say goodbye.

It is heart breaking. I know its time to help her move on, but we haven't found it in our hearts to be able to say goodbye.

Heartbreaking is the only way to describe it. And the decision you are struggling with will never be an easy one. Mine turned out to just be a thyroid problem and she is now doing great. Hair is back, lost tons of weight, energy is back, and can actually even hear again, although I don't think it's 100%.....but if you read through all that thread, it speaks volumes about how important dogs really are to their owners. I bought the book that @Willcampbell wife wrote titled shellbees story off of amazon. I HATE to read, but I read all of that one.
Anyway, really sorry to hear what you're going through. It's a tough tough decision

Reactions: Nivram50
Brother, I feel your pain. We are nearing the end of the road for my daughter's dog Angel. She's 12 and been slowing down for the better part of a year. I'm pretty sure she's blind in one eye and can barely hear now. In the spring she stopped going down the steps to go outside. We have to pick her up and carry her out to do her business. She sits in the living room and whimpers and cries when we aren't in their with her. I don't think she can see well enough to figure out what room we disappeared too. It is heart breaking. I know its time to help her move on, but we haven't found it in our hearts to be able to say goodbye.

What breed is she?

You know they say you can tell a lot about a person by the type of dog they have....I heard @DukeDenver has one of those Saint Bernards with the barrel of brandy around its neck!!

Since this is sort of a dog themed thread, and DukefanKy has a spot in his heart for pits, I thought I'd share this quick story.

I take my dog to the dog park a few times a week. The other day I met this elderly lady who brought a pit bull. The dog had small scars all over her face, and a long, deep scar across her belly that ended in a fold of skin that should have been its back leg. The lady explained that the dog spent the first couple years of her life in dog fights, being used as a bait dog. Her back leg had not been removed surgically. Today though, she's a registered therapy dog. And, over the past two years, has become a weekly favorite visitor to clinically ill patients at a Veterans Memorial Hospital in spite of their strict "No pit bulls; no exceptions" rule.

Since this is sort of a dog themed thread, and DukefanKy has a spot in his heart for pits, I thought I'd share this quick story.

I take my dog to the dog park a few times a week. The other day I met this elderly lady who brought a pit bull. The dog had small scars all over her face, and a long, deep scar across her belly that ended in a fold of skin that should have been its back leg. The lady explained that the dog spent the first couple years of her life in dog fights, being used as a bait dog. Her back leg had not been removed surgically. Today though, she's a registered therapy dog. And, over the past two years, has become a weekly favorite visitor to clinically ill patients at a Veterans Memorial Hospital in spite of their strict "No pit bulls; no exceptions" rule.

That's awesome man.....thanks for sharing.....they have bad reps, big hearts

Reactions: Mpm277
Not gonna lie, started crying just reading this stuff. We had two Golden’s that we had to put to sleep in the last three years. It was the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do. Not sure if I’ve ever cried that hard before. We had a party for both leading up to it, they got a long walk to the vet and we were in the room the entire time. Man that’s rough. They are family and always will be.
We got a new dog but this one hasn’t grown on me yet like the others did.

Not gonna lie, started crying just reading this stuff. We had two Golden’s that we had to put to sleep in the last three years. It was the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do. Not sure if I’ve ever cried that hard before. We had a party for both leading up to it, they got a long walk to the vet and we were in the room the entire time. Man that’s rough. They are family and always will be.
We got a new dog but this one hasn’t grown on me yet like the others did.

No shame in that at ALL.....I've done hair thinking about when that day comes, and it's still 3-5 years away I think.

I loved the line that Mac had in this thread about "Be the man your dog thinks you are".....

And if having to put your dog down, doesn't make you emotional, you're way the hell tougher than I am

Reactions: Mac9192
When I go out to feed my dog I put his food in a ziplock bag because it makes it easier for me to carry since I’m in a wheelchair. Well today when I went out to feed him, I poured his food in his bowl then tucked the bag beside me like I always do then poured his water into his water bowl then came back inside to get him some more water and when I went back out to give him some more water, when I got back out to where his kennel is, he was around the back of his kennel and I could tell that he was tearing something up, so I rode around to where he was to see what he was tearing up, well it was the bag that I put his food in, I had dropped it and didn’t realize it, so he decided to tear it to shreds because it smelled like dog food. He never ceases to amaze me when it comes to what he’ll get into. I wanted to be mad but I couldn’t help but laugh at his crazy ass. lol

When I go out to feed my dog I put his food in a ziplock bag because it makes it easier for me to carry since I’m in a wheelchair. Well today when I went out to feed him, I poured his food in his bowl then tucked the bag beside me like I always do then poured his water into his water bowl then came back inside to get him some more water and when I went back out to give him some more water, when I got back out to where his kennel is, he was around the back of his kennel and I could tell that he was tearing something up, so I rode around to where he was to see what he was tearing up, well it was the bag that I put his food in, I had dropped it and didn’t realize it, so he decided to tear it to shreds because it smelled like dog food. He never ceases to amaze me when it comes to what he’ll get into. I wanted to be mad but I couldn’t help but laugh at his crazy ass. lol

Yeah. My wife gets mad if Sophie gets into the trash. We have a can in the basement that is basically like a wash tub or something. Probably 10 gallons but only about 18" tall. She leaves fast food bags in there, and when we leave and come back, the bags are out and torn up. I keep telling her that's not Sophie's fault. You leave a fast food bag Laying around that low, she thinks you left it FOR her!!

Funny thing though, they can be in there all day and she won't touch them....the minute we leave.....done!!

Yeah. My wife gets mad if Sophie gets into the trash. We have a can in the basement that is basically like a wash tub or something. Probably 10 gallons but only about 18" tall. She leaves fast food bags in there, and when we leave and come back, the bags are out and torn up. I keep telling her that's not Sophie's fault. You leave a fast food bag Laying around that low, she thinks you left it FOR her!!

Funny thing though, they can be in there all day and she won't touch them....the minute we leave.....done!!
Sounds like my dog when I used to keep him in a kennel. He learned how to use his nose to bump the latch up so that he could get out, so we had to put a clip on the latch to keep him from getting out and whenever I would go out to feed him and I forgot to put the clip back on the latch after I fed him, as soon as he thought that I wasn’t looking or wasn’t paying close attention he’d bump the latch up with his nose and get out. Even when I would put the clip back on the latch he would still try to bump the latch up with his nose. We keep him on a cable now because he kept digging out of his kennel but every once in awhile when we have to put him in his kennel (usually when he breaks his cable) the first thing that he does as soon as we put him in the kennel is try to bump the latch up with his nose trying to get out of his kennel. He definitely keeps me on my toes that’s for sure. lol

My 12 year old lab cross has started to go down hill fast this past few months,she's gone from 70 lbs of piss and vinegar to about 50 lbs of skin and bone,we are hoping she can make it thru the winter and get one more enjoyable summer,we'll see how she makes out.

A good dog is a family member. One of the best signs I've ever seen was at a church. It said "Be the man your dog thinks you are."
I know how you are feeling, and I wish you good luck.
THAT IS AN AWESOME QUOTE!

My favorite dog, Trio, a chocolate Lab, died from cancer in 2013. She was my best friend, and not a day goes by when I don't think of her. Her collar and dog tags hang from my rearview mirror. Squeezing them every now and then allows me to still feel her presence. A couple of years before she passed, we got another Lab puppy, Nadia, who happened to be Trio's niece, to make life a little more fun for her. They got along great. Having Nadia when Trio passed and now has greatly softened my loss of Trio, who will never be fully replaceable. I've had 4 Labs and have had to put down one and experience two passing from natural causes. Still, I cannot imagine life without at least one Lab. (My wife won't allow me to get a second one).

My favorite dog, Trio, a chocolate Lab, died from cancer in 2013. She was my best friend, and not a day goes by when I don't think of her. Her collar and dog tags hang from my rearview mirror. Squeezing them every now and then allows me to still feel her presence.

We put our yellow lab, Buddy, down in February. I know I mentioned it earlier in this thread, too....but over eight months later and I still think of him multiple times per day. Buddy's dog tag is on my key chain....so it's a constant reminder, but as much as it hurts that reminder also helps me cope. Probably sounds weird to some, but it is what it is for me.

His ashes also sit in my home office. Our plan this past summer was to spread some at our lake place where he loved to play, and then do some at our place in Florida this winter. For some reason, I'm just not at that place yet. Thankfully, my wife understands. Someday we'll do that, but I'm just not quite ready as it stands now. If no one is home and I'm working in the office, I sometimes even find myself talking to him. The imprint and impact they leave on our lives....wow.

I'll add one more thing....

About six weeks ago we came across a yellow lab that drew our interest. We never talked about getting another dog, but I think it was always kind of assumed. The day we went to look was kind of tough on me beforehand. I got the sense I was somehow cheating on Buddy.

Anyway, we go to look at this new dog and have our eight- and five-year-old daughter's along as well. Like any kids their age, they were sad when Bud passed, but kids are a little more resilient, too. I sort of thought Buddy was 'behind' them, so to speak. I was wrong. When the breeders left us to be with the new dog for a while, both girls broke down. They didn't want a new dog. They wanted Buddy. Needless to say, it didn't take long and both my wife and I were crying, too. That was pretty much the end of our experiment. A long ride home and lots of tears the rest of that day and weekend. It was like going through that initial grieving period all over again.

Bottom line....our family isn't quite ready yet. Someday, though.

I got my daughter a beagle puppy several years ago when she started middle school. When she went off to college, she couldn’t take Maci to school with her, so she became “my dog”. Such a loving and kind dog that was friendly to everyone. She developed a tumor on her bladder that was inoperable a few years ago and passed away just a few months later. She was only seven. It still hurts me to this day and that was five years ago. I think about her daily and it still hurts. Ive often thought about getting another dog, but just can’t bring myself to do it.

I've always been around dogs, and have had a boxer, labs, and of course, mutts. Loved them all. The one I have now is the one I resisted the most, a poodle. She's our water pump dog. The wife begged me to take her in exchange for replacing a water pump on a lady's car about 5 years ago.
I have to admit, she's an awesome dog. It's amazing that they have a knack for knowing when they can go for a ride and when they can't. I jingle my keys and she goes to the door.

You guys are really making my eyes water, btw. Must be my allergies.

I've always been around dogs, and have had a boxer, labs, and of course, mutts. Loved them all. The one I have now is the one I resisted the most, a poodle. She's our water pump dog. The wife begged me to take her in exchange for replacing a water pump on a lady's car about 5 years ago.
I have to admit, she's an awesome dog. It's amazing that they have a knack for knowing when they can go for a ride and when they can't. I jingle my keys and she goes to the door.

I hear ya man. I must’ve been chopping an onion while I was typing my last post.

I got my daughter a beagle puppy several years ago when she started middle school. When she went off to college, she couldn’t take Maci to school with her, so she became “my dog”. Such a loving and kind dog that was friendly to everyone. She developed a tumor on her bladder that was inoperable a few years ago and passed away just a few months later. She was only seven. It still hurts me to this day and that was five years ago. I think about her daily and it still hurts. Ive often thought about getting another dog, but just can’t bring myself to do it.

I have a feeling Sophie may be my last too. At 52 years old, I don't remember a time that I haven't had a dog, and she is my life time favorite. I am hoping that by the time she is gone, I will be close to retirement. If that's the case, the wife and I will be thinking about doing some traveling and things that you can't take a dog a long with you. I also don't want to go through what I am going to go through when it comes her time ever again.

I’ve always been around dogs too. We’ve had all kinds of dogs from small dogs like Miniature Poodles, Pekingese and a Yorkshire Tertrierto big dogs like Labs and a St Bernard as well as a few Lab mixes. I don’t think we’ve ever gone more than a couple years at a time without having a dog since I was about 7 years old and I’ll be 42 years old in December.

2e1su1l.jpg
I meant to post this sooner but I forgot. I’ve had this guy for about 6 months now. His name is Duke, yeah I’m that guy. He drives me insane sometimes, but i honestly couldn’t Imagine life without him now. And before you all get on my case, he’s been trained not to get on the counter now. But he was hungry and wanted to cook himself some food.

That is a gorgeous dog!!!

Reactions: PixelDevil
We put our yellow lab, Buddy, down in February. I know I mentioned it earlier in this thread, too....but over eight months later and I still think of him multiple times per day. Buddy's dog tag is on my key chain....so it's a constant reminder, but as much as it hurts that reminder also helps me cope. Probably sounds weird to some, but it is what it is for me.

His ashes also sit in my home office. Our plan this past summer was to spread some at our lake place where he loved to play, and then do some at our place in Florida this winter. For some reason, I'm just not at that place yet. Thankfully, my wife understands. Someday we'll do that, but I'm just not quite ready as it stands now. If no one is home and I'm working in the office, I sometimes even find myself talking to him. The imprint and impact they leave on our lives....wow.
Trio's favorite thing to do was at the beach. I would throw a tennis ball out past the breakers, which she learned to time perfectly, and she would retrieve it and body surf back in. Problem is, she most often did not want to quit when I did, and her webbed paws made her hard to catch. Anyway, when she passed, I filled a tennis ball with some of her ashes and spread the rest in the surf. Using a ball thrower, I tossed the tennis ball as far past the breakers as I could. OFC

Reactions: dukiejay
Trio's favorite thing to do was at the beach. I would throw a tennis ball out past the breakers, which she learned to time perfectly, and she would retrieve it and body surf back in. Problem is, she most often did not want to quit when I did, and her webbed paws made her hard to catch. Anyway, when she passed, I filled a tennis ball with some of her ashes and spread the rest in the surf. Using a ball thrower, I tossed the tennis ball as far past the breakers as I could. OFC

Wow. That's really cool. Sorry to hear about Trio.

Reactions: Devilinside

Sophie loves doing that same thing at the lake: I plan on doing the same thing with her. Sorry about your loss. It's always tough

Reactions: Devilinside
I'm on the 3rd dog of my life right now. She's a 3-year-old, 40-pound cuddler. We were finally moved to get a new dog b/c we wanted our oldest -- now a hs senior -- to experience a dog again before she headed off to college. Best-case scenario is that we're empty-nesters when this dog passes. We'll either travel or get another dog pretty quickly. Dogs are the best.

Reactions: DukefanKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT