ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports trivia. Part three.

I've been looking at this question wrong from the get go thinking he had to be a Giant and McCovey was gonna be my next guess. Didn't even give a player from another team a second thought so it had to be someone who played before the Giants moved to S.F. That's making it tough. The only name I can come up with is Ernie Banks. OFC
Not Ernie, but there is a slight connection ( he was playing in the game). Although this player obviously had great raw power, he was convinced to try to avoid fly balls to maximize his speed. ( often had single digit home runs for much of his long career).

Last edited:
If I am reading correctly, it's a Cub who was fast and played with Ernie Banks, and in the Polo Grounds. A little before my time, and the Cubs coming to mind were slow

I'm glad to see that Hank Aaron was one of the four. I watched him late in his career, and a lot of his HRs barely got over...such as 715 against the Dodgers on April 8, 1975

If I am reading correctly, it's a Cub who was fast and played with Ernie Banks, and in the Polo Grounds. A little before my time, and the Cubs coming to mind were slow
Yes, but he did not remain with the Cubs for very long.

A couple of side notes, I just saw reading accounts. At least 1 place credits Babe Ruth for reaching the center field bleachers as well, but most only credit the other four.

Also the center field bleachers ran from 460 to 483 dead center, and none of the 4 went dead center over the 483 mark.

I don't know. My dad grew up in Brooklyn. He loved Ebbets Field, and sold concessions. He respected Yankee Stadium and worked as an usher. He didn't like the Polo Grounds,and he hated the Giants. I told my dad that the Polo Grounds was a great name, and he gave the Bronx cheer and called it a dump

Ok. This is probably asked often. Alaska doesn't have a team eligible for the NCAA basketball tournament. Which is the only other state that has never had a representative in the NCAA tournament?

New Hampshire is incorrect. I suspect that Dartmouth has represented the Ivy League. I'll check. Anyway, it's a good guess but incorrect

WOW!! Dartmouth is in Nashua New Hampshire. Their record in the NCAA tournament is 10-7!!!. They made the national championship game in 1942 and 1944 and the 1944 game went to overtime!

Dartmouth lost the 1944 NCAA title game to Utah in overtime, 42-40. The most outstanding player award went to Utah FRESHMAN Arnie Ferrin.

Ok. This is probably asked often. Alaska doesn't have a team eligible for the NCAA basketball tournament. Which is the only other state that has never had a representative in the NCAA tournament?

Time has expired. You have the next question. What was the answer? OFC

What was the name of the player who was the MVP of the College World Series in 1977 and National League Rookie of the Year in 1978?

Not Tony Gwynn. skysdad, I thought that this one was perfect for you. I think that you will get it

I'm puzzled to say the least because I am a Yankee fan. I did like Dale Murphy and would watch the Braves on TBS back in those days but he never won either of those awards. Really got me going on this one. OFC

How many division 1 programs have won a national championship in both football and basketball. OFC

Florida, Michigan, UCLA, Arkansas, Ohio State I'm sure of. I think Syracuse got at least a partial title in football. My answer is Six

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT