ADVERTISEMENT

OT (sort of) Brad Stevens

hmm so he struggles to get on the same level with fiery, passionate players.

When Duke is struggling in the first half of a game and playing lackluster we see how fiery Coach K can get and he is well known for his passionate pre-game and halftime speeches. Brad Stevens would be quite the change from what we are used to. I could see how maybe that calm demeanor would work better with college kids who are still trying to find themselves both on and off the court rather than adult men in the NBA.

Even if they fired him they have to come to a buy out agreement on his previous six year signed extension. Indiana reportedly offered him 70 million for ten years and to buy out his contract with the Celtics but he wouldn’t field the call.
Brad stevens ain’t the problem with the Celtics. It’s the Celtics their self’s.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
Danny Ainge didn't do them any favors the last few years either.
I was asking myself why in the world with all the picks and the needs the Celtics have , why they didn’t go after Vucevic or Gordon ?
they have two good players in Tatum and Brown. Good back up sg in smart and Pritchard is coming on strong as a back up at pg but the rest of the players seem to just over lap .

Probably will not happen but would want him ahead of any of our Brotherhood coaching candidates
Seriously? None of coach ks prodigies have done much of anything. I want someone else under the helm. Been saying it for years. We need Chris beard.

Seriously? None of coach ks prodigies have done much of anything. I want someone else under the helm. Been saying it for years. We need Chris beard.
With you. Chris Beard, Drew, Stevens would all be significantly better picks than the alumni. Love Hurley, Capel, Collins, Tommy but they’ve all been average at best. We’ll likely hire one of them but in the long run I think it’ll be a non Duke guy that is the next great Duke head coach.

IMO, we can forget about Hurley, Capel, Collins, Wojo, Dawkins and Amaker. None of them have shown constant success at their programs they coach now. Hurley should have stayed at Buffalo, Dawkins got pushed out at Stanford( not a basketball school) . Wojo gone from Marquette ( a lot of it had to do with him going with Edwards over the two twins who wanted to be featured).Collins may be on his way out of North Western next season and I don’t see Dawkins or Amaker leaving their programs to try and thrive at Duke. Scheyer and Smith are the next head coach and assistant head coach. Duke won’t go outside the K Tree unless they have absolutely no success under a former player. Who ever takes the job will still have the direction of K for at least five years after he steps down.

Reactions: christophero
I appreciate loyalty, but the best man should get the job imo. I've never quite understood the "it must be a Duke guy" thinking, as Coach K was not a Duke guy.
That’s also because at the time Duke wasn’t a hot job offer. If I recall the call to Bob knight was a helping factor .
The problem is and will be that K even after he steps away will still have a say in the basketball operations for a couple years after he steps down. Who outside the Duke tree wants to be given the job and still have to listen to and take advice from K?

That’s also because at the time Duke wasn’t a hot job offer. If I recall the call to Bob knight was a helping factor .
The problem is and will be that K even after he steps away will still have a say in the basketball operations for a couple years after he steps down. Who outside the Duke tree wants to be given the job and still have to listen to and take advice from K?
Agree with both of you. I think the pick will be Scheyer when it’s all said and done. I’m good with that pick, but i also agree with Chris saying why does it have to be from the duke Family. To be fair, i feel like the whole brotherhood thing they’ve built almost requires the next Hire to be from the family.

If Scheyer takes the job I wonder if he could get an experienced assistant on the bench? Maybe Wojo but it would be a step back for him. Amaker would be an interesting choice as a head coach, although he has not had much success. My choice for a Duke guy would be Snyder, but he seems pretty comfy in the NBA.

If Scheyer takes the job I wonder if he could get an experienced assistant on the bench? Maybe Wojo but it would be a step back for him. Amaker would be an interesting choice as a head coach, although he has not had much success. My choice for a Duke guy would be Snyder, but he seems pretty comfy in the NBA.
I agree. Snyder isn’t leaving the NBA. If scheyer takes over I see him having unlimited brotherhood members with head coaching experience available as assistants. I see Wojo talking a year off and regrouping. Collins like I said earlier could be on his way out at North Western . He will also still have K as an adviser. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Snyder would be the only Duke guy I think could succeed in following coach. Also, don’t think he’ll leave the nba.

Kyrie took down the whole organization...lol. Honestly by comments from players around the league and even on the C's I think they are going to have a rough go for the foreseeable future. I don't know how you clean up a fan base but too many athletes have spoken on it in multiple sports to not hold some truth. What is it about Boston compared to other fan bases, I don't know. I believe they are going to have a hard time convincing players to come and stay. Danny Ainge was on his last leg anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT