ADVERTISEMENT

OT "Made up" athletes names...

GARY4plus3

Recruit
Aug 25, 2015
I don't start too many threads, but myself and a few of my mates at work have been having a blast the past few days at work, telling stories of people jacking-up athletes names. Being I live in Vegas, I bet on sports quite a bit, as do a lot of my co workers. Usually at some point of the morning 5-6 guys come by our office ( I share with another guy), and we chew on the games from the night before and discuss what games we like that current day. One of our crew happens to be my boss, and he is constantly butchering athletes names.
On Monday he comes by our office and immediately hops into how lucky Duke was to get Zion Wilson. Each time a member of the crew popped in, he would break into "I can't believe Zion Wilson chose Duke". Nobody called him out on Monday, but yesterday one of the guys told him that Zion's last name was Williamson. He replied with "yeah I know".
Today he poked his head in our office and asks me how much I thought Zion Williams weighed. "It's Williamson, and probably around 270lbs", I replied. After he left our office, my buddy and I laughed at how Zion's last name had went from Wilson to Williams.
The topper to the story came late this afternoon when our boss stopped by once again, to tell us he was leaving. He picked up the wooden bat in the corner and started swinging it, so we started to bust his chops, "you can't hit", "you never played baseball", to which he replied "shit, I was the right handed version of John Krunk". He pronounced it KRUNK. (He meant John Kruk, 1st baseman of the Phillies in the 90's) We were in stitches, both of us losing our breath from laughing so hard. After watching us laugh uncontrollably for 30-45 seconds, he put the bat back in the corner and said "something is wrong with you two, I'm going home". We couldn't even say goodbye because we were laughing so hard.
Any of you guys have a story of a friend, co worker, or family member that is constantly butchering athletes names?

Got to think about this one. Should be a fun thread. OFC.

Ok I have one. Back in the early 90's I worked with an unc fan who referred to his favorite unc player as Beasley Reese. Of course he meant brian reese but Dallas Cowboy Beasley Reece kept coming out. Game after game, year after year he would come and tell me "beasley had a good game last night." I never corrected him over those years and on ocassion if reese had a bad game i would ask him "what did Beasley do last night." It's been 25 years and if I saw him today and just how good a basketball player Beasley was for the tar heels he would smile and say he was one of the best. OFC

I don’t have any friends that butcher player’s names that I can think of off of the top of my head but I’ve seen quite a few posters on RR butcher players names. I can’t think of the poster’s name but there’s a poster on RR that refers to RJ Barrett as RJ Barret on a regular basis and I also want to say that I remember several posters on RR butchering Mo Bamba’s last name while he was being recruited

Last edited:
Here's a couple I've had trouble with. tyler hanstravelgetsfouledalotbutnevefouls and jb harrison/tj hairsback/bj harston/tg harrisburg. You guys get the picture. OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
Well I don't have any friends, because I'm a social recluse. But there are some people who occasionally talk to me about mma. There are a lot of Russians and dagestanis in MMA, and they have some weird pronunciations. Whenever there's a "kh" the K is silent and you start with the "H". Like Khabib is pronounced Habib, and Kharitonov is pronounced Haritonov. Anyway, whenever we're talking about him, he'll say it as Kabeeb, despite my many corrections. Maybe that's why I don't have any friends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT