ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament teams

jwill133

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 25, 2016
With all the negativity about last nights game, maybe it's best to start thinking about the future. Who cares about losing regular season games, we want to win the title. 6 in a row in March is all we need. Unless something changes, I predict we end up as a 2 seed, and pray that it's not in the West.

What teams would you not like to see in our bracket? Who would you like to draw?

It's safe to say there is no "elite" team this year, thanks to us failing to hold our end of that bargain. I don't think it's possible for us to be in UVA's bracket if they are a 1-seed, so gonna rule them out. I do not want to see MSU, I still think they are elite, and definitely want revenge on us. I also don't want to see Arizona, them along with MSU I think are the only teams that can match us in terms of talent.

Villanova doesn't scare me, they are basically us (great offense, average defense), but they make their bread from the perimeter, we would dominate them inside. Purdue? Yes, PLEASE. Xavier? Yes, definitely.

For the early rounds, lets just hope we avoid a veteran team that is capable of taking the defensive intensity up a couple notches.

With all the negativity about last nights game, maybe it's best to start thinking about the future. Who cares about losing regular season games, we want to win the title. 6 in a row in March is all we need. Unless something changes, I predict we end up as a 2 seed, and pray that it's not in the West.

What teams would you not like to see in our bracket? Who would you like to draw?

It's safe to say there is no "elite" team this year, thanks to us failing to hold our end of that bargain. I don't think it's possible for us to be in UVA's bracket if they are a 1-seed, so gonna rule them out. I do not want to see MSU, I still think they are elite, and definitely want revenge on us. I also don't want to see Arizona, them along with MSU I think are the only teams that can match us in terms of talent.

Villanova doesn't scare me, they are basically us (great offense, average defense), but they make their bread from the perimeter, we would dominate them inside. Purdue? Yes, PLEASE. Xavier? Yes, definitely.

For the early rounds, lets just hope we avoid a veteran team that is capable of taking the defensive intensity up a couple notches.

Dang man- I basically agree with you 100%. I think Michigan State is the best team in the country, but I don't know how much of the stuff going on with the university will affect them. Arizona has the balance of veterans, size, and bench to be scary even though they lost to UCLA last night. I really don't want to see them in the West bracket especially.

The other sneaky team if they could figure it out is Texas A&M. I'm not sure how likely it is that they get it together, but wouldn't want them in the second round and I guess Missouri for that matter if Porter Jr. is going to make a comeback.

Nova does scare me. I put a lot of stock in experience when it comes to the tournament. When you have a team that has only lost twice all year, and is full of juniors and seniors, that's a team to worry about.

I have to disagree with Nova their perimeter game does scare me because Duke does not guard the perimeter. Just look at the last 2 games and those aren't the only example. Nova would kill this Duke team right now. We have no dominance in the paint neither. when other teams commit and are aggressive in the paint they have their way there also. As of right now its hard to get excited about the tournament just because of the potential that could happen and we all know it without saying it. I only hope and pray that a magic potion falls over Durham, because if this team comes together it could be ugly for the rest of the country

Not gonna lie, I'm afraid of a Mercer/Lehigh situation.

Saw this stat earlier.

Kenpom off/def ratings -
2012: 6/71
2014: 2/77
Current: 2/78

This may mean absolutely nothing but the similarities are interesting. Both the 2012 and 2014 teams had that same tendency to just disappear during a game.

Reactions: dukecorey
This is what has everyone so frustrated I think. This team absolutely has the talent to win 6 tournament games all by double digits. They also have the vulnerability to lose the first weekend. It's MADDENING
Definitely is frustrating, but give me the roller coaster of emotion this year over the drought we had from 07-09. Those years we had zero chance at a title, at least this year (and last year) we knew the team was capable of winning the whole thing.

One thing we still have going is we haven't had a major injury to anyone, as long as everyone is healthy, I still think we are the favorites to win it all in March. Last night could have been worse...what if we won and Bagley or Carter had a serious injury?? (I'm gonna go knock on wood now.)

Saw this stat earlier.

Kenpom off/def ratings -

This may mean absolutely nothing but the similarities are interesting. Both the 2012 and 2014 teams had that same tendency to just disappear during a game.

The ONLY difference is the 2012 and 2014 team were live by the 3, die by the 3 type team. In the NCAA Tournament you need BIGS that will get you easy buckets and multiple possessions through rebounds. We have that now and we have K who isn't afraid to play his bench, leaving the starters fresh.

The ONLY difference is the 2012 and 2014 team were live by the 3, die by the 3 type team. In the NCAA Tournament you need BIGS that will get you easy buckets and multiple possessions through rebounds. We have that now and we have K who isn't afraid to play his bench, leaving the starters fresh.
K isn’t afraid to play his bench?? They should be playing more!

But that’s not the point I want to make. In order to win 6 games in a row in March something has to click. I think this team needs a killer instinct. We get up by double digits in the first half and then 5 minutes into the second half we are down by double digits. They need to learn how to embarrass teams to be truly great. Step on their throats and don’t let up. It clicked in 2010 and then we beat UNC 82-50. Those games are so rare....

K isn’t afraid to play his bench?? They should be playing more!

But that’s not the point I want to make. In order to win 6 games in a row in March something has to click. I think this team needs a killer instinct. We get up by double digits in the first half and then 5 minutes into the second half we are down by double digits. They need to learn how to embarrass teams to be truly great. Step on their throats and don’t let up. It clicked in 2010 and then we beat UNC 82-50. Those games are so rare....
If we can somehow get that killer instinct, I love our odds. The 2015 team had it. 2nd round- we got up early on SDSU, game was over midway through the first half, we stepped on their throats.
Final four- MSU game, same thing. We put teams away that needed to be put away.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I think games like last night will be good for this team. The expectations for this team pre-season were sky high. Losing some games that everyone feels like we should win...that stuff adds up and should light fire under them. I really felt like last year's team had a real chance. We had some embarrassing losses and then decided in the ACCT that enough was enough. If we get past South Carolina, that team has a real chance to win it all.
For that reason, I'd like to avoid Tennessee, Texas, and A&M early in the tournament.

Definitely is frustrating, but give me the roller coaster of emotion this year over the drought we had from 07-09. Those years we had zero chance at a title, at least this year (and last year) we knew the team was capable of winning the whole thing.

One thing we still have going is we haven't had a major injury to anyone, as long as everyone is healthy, I still think we are the favorites to win it all in March. Last night could have been worse...what if we won and Bagley or Carter had a serious injury?? (I'm gonna go knock on wood now.)

Absolutely....a shot is better than no shot at all

Saw this stat earlier.

Kenpom off/def ratings -

Me too but for some reason I feel that if we survive the first weekend We make the Final Four

I’m much more afraid of an early exit in the tourney this year than if we are able to make it past the sweet 16. For the most part we have done a pretty good job playing up to the level of our competition and a pretty poor job with allowing lesser teams to hang around and gain confidence (last night included). I agree that last year’s team had a legit shot if they make it past the game against SC in SC.

I’m much more afraid of an early exit in the tourney this year than if we are able to make it past the sweet 16. For the most part we have done a pretty good job playing up to the level of our competition and a pretty poor job with allowing lesser teams to hang around and gain confidence (last night included). I agree that last year’s team had a legit shot if they make it past the game against SC in SC.
I want to be watching my team in the second weekend! I hate when we bail out early

Reactions: pisgah101
Here's the thing, we're not playing well, and we've lost 3 of the last 4 games. Those losses were by a combined 10 points. One of the losses was to the team probably playing the best basketball in the country, Virginia, and the other to our archrival on their home court.

We know seasons have hills and valleys, and right now we're struggling, but I can't help but to think that we're going to turn this around and go on a winning streak. Take Virginia, as well as they have played, they haven't had a bad stretch, and they always seem to get hot from 3 in games that are for the taking. Maybe they roll all the way through, but one tough loss, and a confidence drop can snowball. Duke, as bad as we have played lately, have still had chances right up to the end to win games. We still find a way to hang around even after we've imploded (like last night). Yeah, maybe we don't get it turned around, but I think we're more likely to do that than quit...which we haven't. Confidence is fragile, and it's easy to lose, but it can also be recaptured. Time to go hunting.

OFC

Definitely is frustrating, but give me the roller coaster of emotion this year over the drought we had from 07-09.
The good thing about that team was they growed up, became seniors, and won a Natty in 10. When Kentucky’s fabulous freshmen were the long shot favorites to win it all.

Here's the thing, we're not playing well, and we've lost 3 of the last 4 games. Those losses were by a combined 10 points. One of the losses was to the team probably playing the best basketball in the country, Virginia, and the other to our archrival on their home court.

We know seasons have hills and valleys, and right now we're struggling, but I can't help but to think that we're going to turn this around and go on a winning streak. Take Virginia, as well as they have played, they haven't had a bad stretch, and they always seem to get hot from 3 in games that are for the taking. Maybe they roll all the way through, but one tough loss, and a confidence drop can snowball. Duke, as bad as we have played lately, have still had chances right up to the end to win games. We still find a way to hang around even after we've imploded (like last night). Yeah, maybe we don't get it turned around, but I think we're more likely to do that than quit...which we haven't. Confidence is fragile, and it's easy to lose, but it can also be recaptured. Time to go hunting.

OFC
Exactly! We could easily be a 1 loss team

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
If you worried about the first weekend you don't have much chance
Speaks volumes about our program, even with all this talent we get, that we pray to advance out of the first weekend. We are Duke right, not West Kansas Tech?

I like beating good competition. We can't get a bye to sweet sixteen. Duke has more talent than any team starters just got to play hard and smart with a game plan.

I want to be watching my team in the second weekend! I hate when we bail out early
When we bail out early its like what am I going to do now? Its all over so whats the reason for even watching TV any longer!

When we bail out early its like what am I going to do now? Its all over so whats the reason for even watching TV any longer!
March madness is my favorite time of the year. When we bow out the first weekend, I don’t even watch anymore.

If you worried about the first weekend you don't have much chance

No, that’s not it. I was worried about the first weekend in 2015, too. Those who weren’t are lying. We had just come off losing in the first round two out of three years, got smacked by Notre Dame in the ACCT, then built a 20-point lead against a 16-seed and watched them get it down to nine or 10 in about two minutes. People were freaking out. Hindsight always tells us a different story when we know what happened.

time for the links when Duke bails out. It is getting really close to spring in Mar. and Apr. so here in NC we drown the year in booze, gambling, and cussing at the Country Club.

Duke is third 2 seed in east with nova as 1
Va 1 seed number 1 overall
Purdue 1 in West and Xavier 1 in Midwest

Surprises to me Oklahoma a 4 seed
Zona a 4 seed in the West
Unc is a 3 seed
Auburn top 2 seed

Still a lot of basketball to be played

I have not seen Xavier play at all. Are they that strong? Should they be a 1 seed? I’m asking because I have no clue.

I have not seen Xavier play at all. Are they that strong? Should they be a 1 seed? I’m asking because I have no clue.
They are a well coached team. I would be ecstatic if Xavier was our 1 seed, I live in Cincinnati and have seen them in person a few times.
They have experience, but really only two guys who can go for 20+ in a given night, Blueitt and Macura. Blueitt is legit, Macura is a huge liability. Awful defender, gets taken out on defensive possesions.

This Xavier team wasn't even supposed to be as good as previous years, if that says anything. They have won MANY close games, yesterday they won on a shooting foul with 0.3 seconds left. They are good no doubt, but have had an insane amount of good luck too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT