ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola Chicago

Laettner

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2002
Really enjoy watching Loyola play the game of basketball. Their guards get up the floor and pass so well, refreshing to see fundamental basketball played at that level. Hope they make the FF.

Sister Jean was at the 1963 Loyola tourney game and now look what the sport has evolved into, pretty amazing for her to see.

They beat Duke in the 1963 Final Four 94-75 and went on to win the title. Back then they had a third place game between the teams who lost in the semi-finals. Duke beat Oregon State in that game 85-63. Art Heyman was so good he was still named MOP of the Final Four which is rare for a player whose team didn't win it all.

It was Duke's first Final Four under Vic Bubas who had guided Duke to the 1960 Regional Final in his first season at Duke after his team shocked UNC
and Wake in the ACC Tournament to take the league's automatic bid by winning the 1960 ACC Championship. (both blew out Duke in the regular season) Duke went 2-1 in the NCAA'S losing to NYU in the regional final.

Vic Bubas one of the all-time great College Coaches that a lot of people don't know of since his era was so long ago. He's in the College Basketball HOF. He led Duke to three Final Fours in the 1960's and had the nation's 3rd most wins for that decade. He brought in a lot of great players for Duke in that era. Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, etc. He really left coaching too early.

They beat Duke in the 1963 Final Four 94-75 and went on to win the title. Back then they had a third place game between the teams who lost in the semi-finals. Duke beat Oregon State in that game 85-63. Art Heyman was so good he was still named MOP of the Final Four which is rare for a player whose team didn't win it all.

It was Duke's first Final Four under Vic Bubas who had guided Duke to the 1960 Regional Final in his first season at Duke after his team shocked UNC
and Wake in the ACC Tournament to take the league's automatic bid by winning the 1960 ACC Championship. (both blew out Duke in the regular season) Duke went 2-1 in the NCAA'S losing to NYU in the regional final.

Vic Bubas one of the all-time great College Coaches that a lot of people don't know of since his era was so long ago. He's in the College Basketball HOF. He led Duke to three Final Fours in the 1960's and had the nation's 3rd most wins for that decade. He brought in a lot of great players for Duke in that era. Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, etc. He really left coaching too early.

Thanks for the history lesson

It’s impossible to read this non-sarcastically. I know you meant it genuinely, Quavo.

The internet has ruined me.

Oh yes, very genuinely (I also liked the post). I knew Bubas led Duke to 3 FF's, but I didn't know the matchups. It would be neat if we played them again 55 years later.

Look, I know that the media likes to make stories out of the tournament. And it's cool that Sister Jean is getting to see her school back in the tournament, but at the end of the day, I don't really care insomuch that they need to parade her out for interviews and whatnot. It's heartwarming to hear initially, but to continue to make an ongoing story about it is already a little old to me.

"Sister Jean, how do you feel about seeing Loyola-Chicago win another game?!"

"I'm happy for them!"

OK, great.

I could definitely be in the minority, however.

Reactions: sgrooms
Loyola is a well coached team in my opinion.

I could list a few things but one thing I noticed right off the bat and they're consistent with it Is they use the rim so well on their drives to protect their shot.

Almost all their drives seem to be those easy little reverse layups. That's smart when you're not gifted with a lot of size.

I haven't watched them play yet. There run has been greater though. I would like to catch their next game, but won't be able to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT