ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk a little Duke football.

Agreed with most everything said....Seldom say this, but Cut and his staff were outcoached/outprepared today...
Also was strange not seeing Parker in there for a few downs. When is the last time Duke played an entire game using one QB?

And this is so true...Was shocked Parker didnt see the field today. Don't get me wrong Daniel Jones ceiling is HIGH, but we needed another fresh qb to give their D different looks and run from the chaos our O-line was allowing up front!

OFC

It's got to frustrating for Cut and the players to come out and see the stadium only about half full. As far as the game we looked bad on defense, offensive line play, kicking, play calling need I say more. Just don't see many more wins with our schedule the rest of the way.

You are exactly correct spike. Wish I could have been there with you. Had to work. Work every other Sat. You are the definition of a pure duke fan. You support all our sports and I'm proud to say our or we when I talk about Duke. No I like most Duke fans didn't go to Duke but they are my team and they should be our team. And that doesn't matter who we play. OFC

Reactions: hpnole
just a really poor game today. oline stunk. our dbs gave up way to many big plays. just dont see the toughness i expected in this self proclaimed year of the beast. did have to give the kids from wake a nod because their qb and their frosh rb were said by most posters on all the boards not to be good enough to be duke recruits.(guess who is laughing now)

just a really poor game today. oline stunk. our dbs gave up way to many big plays. just dont see the toughness i expected in this self proclaimed year of the beast. did have to give the kids from wake a nod because their qb and their frosh rb were said by most posters on all the boards not to be good enough to be duke recruits.(guess who is laughing now)

Game looked too ugly from Duke perspective to be only a hiccup...Have to project a 1-3 mark after 4. This was a MUST win unless you steal one down the road...Don't see it...,

Roper borrowed a page from Montgomery's NORTHWESTERN game playbook last year, falling in love w/sideline passes at line of scrimmage....Wake wasnt biting....

Also we are nowhere good enough to play a game in the papers the week of the game.When you start talking about "dominating" the other team to the media, you just become a bigger target...

OFC

Surf,Spike thanks for weighing in and salute to Sky for helping get our spot edtablished on the basketball board too(mods thx as well)...
Hopefully Jeffrey, Jobe will weigh in as well- bad loss yesterday- team at important crossroads rite now for rest of year....

OFC

Reactions: spike05rk
The mods will take care of it. Maybe they will just make his post disappear. And I've been called a lot worse. You've got to come up with something more powerful than that decapit. OFC

It's got to frustrating for Cut and the players to come out and see the stadium only about half full. As far as the game we looked bad on defense, offensive line play, kicking, play calling need I say more. Just don't see many more wins with our schedule the rest of the way.

Was thinkin' the same thing the entire time I watched the game. Cut has turned the program around completely. 3 straight bowl seasons , brand new stadium renovations , first game of the year vs an ACC opponent and the team comes out to that?! Just wait. If the season continues down this road ( seems likely , unfortunately ) the crowds will dwindle further and the unx game will be packed with their fans...a virtual home game for them. Shameful. Coach Cut , the players and the program deserve so much more.

Was thinkin' the same thing the entire time I watched the game. Cut has turned the program around completely. 3 straight bowl seasons , brand new stadium renovations , first game of the year vs an ACC opponent and the team comes out to that?! Just wait. If the season continues down this road ( seems likely , unfortunately ) the crowds will dwindle further and the unx game will be packed with their fans...a virtual home game for them. Shameful. Coach Cut , the players and the program deserve so much more.

Cut doing all he can, for sure over last several years- 4 straight bowls- Duke Football!!?? Yes we are relevant again, but fans must show it...

Unfortunately I think a large percentage of everyone connected w/the program were much too confident about yesterday, and prematurely chalked Wake up as a W...I think this overconfidence infected coaches/players/fans, etc and it bit us you know where....

The team goes on an important two week journey now, and lets hope it finds itself in time to save this season in terms of numbers... Both W's AND HOME attendance!!

OFC

Reactions: DukeBlueBlood
just going to throw this out there. one of the problems in filling the stadium is also the fact that duke and the city of durham and its citizens have not had a great relationship. wake is a much smaller school and they put more people in the stands because the people of winston actually like wake.

Reactions: dbav
I know last Saturday we had more NCCU fans sitting around us than Duke fans and by the start of the third quarter this Saturday we had about as many Wake fans. I just don't get it. But I look at the student section and they don't show up like they should and they all leave at the half. If you think about it Cut is doing a magic act to get the talent that he is to come to Duke. These big time recruits come with their parents and see the stadium about half full can't be a good selling point.

just going to throw this out there. one of the problems in filling the stadium is also the fact that duke and the city of durham and its citizens have not had a great relationship. wake is a much smaller school and they put more people in the stands because the people of winston actually like wake.

Very valid point Surf...I can recall Coach K saying "we're your team" to Durham city hall members in a victors outdoor ceremony after the "15 hoops crown. Its more like an effort to win Bull City leaders and citizenry over at times...

OFC

I understand that it is harder to get bags etc. into the stadium, the student section was moved to the end zone and if you leave the stadium you can't get back in, even if you are a student? Is that all true? I can't understand why they aren't making it more fan friendly, especially for students who may not be football fans coming into the school. I know that many students could care less about basketball until they get to Duke. I still feel students can become football fans too, especially if the stadium becomes more fan friendly.

Very valid point Surf...I can recall Coach K saying "we're your team" to Durham city hall members in a victors outdoor ceremony after the "15 hoops crown. Its more like an effort to win Bull City leaders and citizenry over at times...

I recall watching that vid. It's probably still in the thread we had for all of those after the game. Did you ( like myself ) get the feeling that many there weren't happy about it? Seemed awkward. Looked like many were there outta professional obligation. Shocked one of 'em didn't pull on a unx hat during the proceedings.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I recall watching that vid. It's probably still in the thread we had for all of those after the game. Did you ( like myself ) get the feeling that many there weren't happy about it? Seemed awkward. Looked like many were there outta professional obligation. Shocked one of 'em didn't pull on a unx hat during the proceedings.

Very much got EXACT SAME FEELING...I am certain Coach K SENSED it, and is quite aware...Oh it would have been much more of a shindig had UNC won it...Those same "city leaders" should have been much more EMBRACING of the moment for City of Medicine PRIDE!!!

OFC

OFC[/QUOTE]
Cut doing all he can, for sure over last several years- 4 straight bowls- Duke Football!!?? Yes we are relevant again, but fans must show it...

Unfortunately I think a large percentage of everyone connected w/the program were much too confident about yesterday, and prematurely chalked Wake up as a W...I think this overconfidence infected coaches/players/fans, etc and it bit us you know where....

The team goes on an important two week journey now, and lets hope it finds itself in time to save this season in terms of numbers... Both W's AND HOME attendance!!

OFC

From what I saw, this is a continuation of the last four games of last year. DB's crowding the line and exposing themselves to big plays, very poor defensive line play putting no pressure on Wake's QB, inability to stop the run, poor tackling, poor offensive scheme concocted by an OC who had never been an OC before, and an offensive line which has problems with run AND pass blocking. Starting the season with NCCU gets us ready for nothing. Very probable losses are UNC, Pitt, Louisville, ND; likely losses are Va Tech, Miami; coin flips are Ga Tech, Northwestern; likely wins are Virginia, Army. The one thing we have going for us is Cut. I am afraid that there is just too much on his plate for him to fix this year. The NW game will be a good barometer. NW has lost to two mid-level teams, but has talent.

Sorry but Duke has got to win more to get a better turnout. A history of trash can't be overlooked by 5 years of decent football. I know cut is fighting like crazy but losing like that to the likes of Wake isn't going to help things at all. I'm not saying it's right that teams have to win to get fans to show up. But call a spade a spade fellas, that's the way it is with all sports programs. You win a lot and people show up, you lose to teams like Wake, forget about it. It's already tough being a private school.

Oh absolutely and it's death to recruiting. I was blown away by the lack of turn out. Especially when you can walk up and get tickets the day of for $20.

Just how big is the Northwestern game now. OFC

HUGE. I figured they'd go out there 2 - 0 with winnable home games vs Army and UVa. They woulda been 4 & 2 , worst case , at mid-season. Obviously , they were/are gonna have to "steal" a couple more for bowl eligibility but it's not too shabby. Now? Nuthin's a given...even Army and UVa. That was a bad football team out there last Saturday , ya'll.

Just how big is the Northwestern game now. OFC

Yes, "huge" is the word. Losing, especially for our football program, is contagious and losing this week could send us spiraling down to what I could only call a disaster of a season where we follow up a bowl win with only 2 wins. I'm not saying that automatically happens if we lose, but this younger team needs a shot in the arm to get that moral back up or this could get real ugly.

HUGE. I figured they'd go out there 2 - 0 with winnable home games vs Army and UVa. They woulda been 4 & 2 , worst case , at mid-season. Obviously , they were/are gonna have to "steal" a couple more for bowl eligibility but it's not too shabby. Now? Nuthin's a given...even Army and UVa. That was a bad football team out there last Saturday , ya'll.

I figured 2-2 after 4 worse case before season.I think we have BETTER TALENT than Wake, but we were outcoached, and no doubt who hungrier team was...

As for NW they have dropped 2 straight at home to lesser teams than Duke and their coach is on the hot seat.If we run the ball decent I see us with a chance...

OFC

Sky I think the NW game can make or break our season. I was hoping for at least a 6 and 6 season to be able to go to another bowl. The Wake game hurt those chances badly. We lose to NW and I think the hole is to deep to get out of.

Reactions: skysdad
Duke needs to grab the lead and take control against NW...The Devils had the chance to do so against Wake, but sputtered after 7-0 quick lead.On the road its even more imperative to grab hold early and FINISH!!!

OFC

Sky I think the NW game can make or break our season. I was hoping for at least a 6 and 6 season to be able to go to another bowl. The Wake game hurt those chances badly. We lose to NW and I think the hole is to deep to get out of.

I agree. Lose this one and we are in for very long season. Win or lose we have no chance at South Bend. Army will be no gimme. The difficult part of the schedule will be the last half of the season. Could be looking at a two to three win season with loss today.

I agree. Lose this one and we are in for very long season. Win or lose we have no chance at South Bend. Army will be no gimme. The difficult part of the schedule will be the last half of the season. Could be looking at a two to three win season with loss today.

No doubt....Best case scenario midpoint of season is a 4-2 status....A 2-4 finish nets a bowl....

OFC

Let's win this thing fellas. Keep fighting.

FSU trailing by 53 points with about ten minutes remaining. Imagine that. Couldn't happen to a more deserving program. Well, accept for UNC.

FSU has never allowed that many points in a game. NEVER.

I'm rejoicing a bit as a Gator fan. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT