ADVERTISEMENT

Keels

I read that on another board. And Roach tweeted "you already know." next to the schools Keels is considering. That would be a great get for us. It would solve our backcourt depth.

We need a guard and a shooter. And he could be a 2-3 year guy, which would be perfect. (He could also be a one and done, but would probably be more like Steward or Roach.)

Reactions: bullettoothtony
So it's basically back to what it was a month ago. Probably changed because he wore a Nova hat or something.

He might be a better fit for the squad next year than Baldwin.

If Williams stays then Keels may be the better fit. Otherwise, would rather have Griffin, Baldwin and Blanchero. I’m also assuming Roach, Steward, Moore, and potentially Goldwire returning (if NCAA is using same rules about not counting this season toward eligibility like College Football did).

If that’s the case and Williams leaves, we are thin at PF and Center, but have 4 veterans battling for 2 spots at guard. Moore could also take some minutes at SF.

If Hurt leaves, does that help us with Baldwin? If we bring everyone back but Goldwire, Hurt, and Tape, add Keels and Baldwin....wow...talk about loaded.

If Williams stays then Keels may be the better fit. Otherwise, would rather have Griffin, Baldwin and Blanchero. I’m also assuming Roach, Steward, Moore, and potentially Goldwire returning (if NCAA is using same rules about not counting this season toward eligibility like College Football did).

If that’s the case and Williams leaves, we are thin at PF and Center, but have 4 veterans battling for 2 spots at guard. Moore could also take some minutes at SF.

Yep, I should've said I was assuming Williams stays.

Don’t see Duke adding another forward and Keels and a couple of returning players staying.
Frontcourt would be :
Williams
Pablo
Griffin
Baldwin
Coleman
Brakesfield
Moore.
Back court would be :
Roach, Steward , Keels, Baker, Moore or Baldwin.
If Duke was to land Both I don’t see anything that says Brakesfield stays. I also see why Keels is hesitant to pull the trigger for Duke.

Don’t see Duke adding another forward and Keels and a couple of returning players staying.
Frontcourt would be :
Williams
Pablo
Griffin
Baldwin
Coleman
Brakesfield
Moore.
Back court would be :
Roach, Steward , Keels, Baker, Moore or Baldwin.
If Duke was to land Both I don’t see anything that says Brakesfield stays. I also see why Keels is hesitant to pull the trigger for Duke.

Could see Coleman or Brakesfield transferring if Williams stays and Baldwin comes to Duke. Would rather keep Brakesfield over Coleman. Also, you list Baldwin as part of the backcourt rotation. He’s very skilled for his size but he’s not playing guard in any situation. Could see him playing some SF if we decide to go with a big lineup and put Griffin, Baldwin, Blanchero and Williams on the court together with either Roach or Keels running point.

Little bit of chatter that Baldwin may still be in play. There's a new thread on TDD Premium about him and someone else mentioned him on DBR.

One can still hope...

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
Could see Coleman or Brakesfield transferring if Williams stays and Baldwin comes to Duke. Would rather keep Brakesfield over Coleman. Also, you list Baldwin as part of the backcourt rotation. He’s very skilled for his size but he’s not playing guard in any situation. Could see him playing some SF if we decide to go with a big lineup and put Griffin, Baldwin, Blanchero and Williams on the court together with either Roach or Keels running point.
But with your mentioned line up doesn’t that move him or griffin to the Sg spot😄.
Sorry Timo spell check .

Reactions: timo0402
As long as Williams returns. Which he should. We will be a top 4 seed; but I'm holding back my expectations. Keels would round out the class nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCColsCane
I like that Keels has on his list UVA and Villanova (UK being the outlier). It says something about the quality of school he is considering. Also, they aren't exactly one and done factories which suggests he's realistic about being in college more than one year.

You could argue that 2 of 4 of his schools are seen as one and done schools but we'll do glass half full as it's Friday. :) He probably is a multi year guy which I like.

He's going to be a great player here. He's huge. I reason he's maybe 6'6, 230.

Think a bigger Gary Trent Jr.

Just a tank. Can handle, defend, and has serious range.

K saw him one game at HoopHall and stopped recruiting Max Christie.

Reactions: Quavarius
How is Duke going to be a power house next season? A lot of unknowns for a once again young team.

I am assuming that Williams, Steward, and Roach are returning. Those three guys maybe young in age but not in terms of basketball experience. If the right guys come back and plus a guy like Banchero, I do think Duke will be a top 5 team most of next year.

If, and that is a big if with all the transfermania out there, these things happen, we will be a sweet 16 team. Possibly more.
1. We can start Roach, Steward, AJ, Banchero and Williams.
2. We can bring Coleman, Moore and Baker off the bench. We could honestly afford to lose Baker but if we lose Moore we're super young. (Because Moore plays/contributes more)
3. We get Keels or a quality transfer for backcourt depth.

Last edited:
If, and that is a big if with all the transfermania out there, these things happen, we will be a sweet 16 team. Possibly more.
1. We can start Roach, Steward, AJ, Banchero and Williams.
2. We can bring Coleman, Moore and Baker off the bench. We could honestly afford to lose Baker but if we lose Moore we're super young. (Because Moore plays more)
3. We get Keels or a quality transfer for backcourt depth.
I wish I shared your optimism Roach and steward make me nervous. Moore shows flashes but disappears for long stretches Baker reminds me more and more of O’Connell. Probably a practice all American. Does squat in the game I can’t figure these guys out honestly. Sorry to be so negative

I am assuming that Williams, Steward, and Roach are returning. Those three guys maybe young in age but not in terms of basketball experience. If the right guys come back and plus a guy like Banchero, I do think Duke will be a top 5 team most of next year.
Top 15 for sure . Roach needs to improve his pg skills , most of the guards need to improve of passing and shooting and should Duke have no big man depth they better pray the injury bug misses them . All this and the upper class men are one junior one senior. Hole lot to ask sophomores and freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I'm torn between wanting Keels or an experienced transfer. I don't think we get both. I guess Keels is plan A.

Reactions: sheyduke
I think I'd rather have Keels. He will be at least a two-year guy. And has huge upside. If we can keep Moore, Steward, Roach, and add Keels I think that is a formidable backcourt for next season. My hope is next year's squad looks like: Roach, Keels, Steward, Moore, Griffin, Baker, Banchero, Baldwin, Williams, and Coleman.

Starters:

Roach
Steward
Griffin
Banchero
Williams

I see Moore getting a lot of time between spots 1-3, especially at the point. Baker can come in with the 2/3. Keels at the point and off the ball. Baldwin and Coleman spelling Banchero and Williams. We have size, depth, some experience, and length. Should be a better shooting team and better defensively. Banchero and Williams will draw A LOT of attention down low which will open up things for our wings and guards. That will be a fun team to watch, if that's what we get. For the record, I would prefer to keep Hurt and not add Baldwin or someone else. But, that's not happening. Hell, I think we lose Hurt and don't add Baldwin, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure Baldwin will not be happy coming off the bench. His dad will definitely start him.

Imagine Baldwin starts over Griffin or Blanchero possibly even starts over Williams with Baldwin starting at PF. Really depends if Baldwin is completely healthy once he arrives in Durham off his surgery from his SR year in high school.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT