ADVERTISEMENT

K retiring after this year

I haven't been on the board much this past year due to many reasons, but I feel like I had to come back for this! Ever since I was 8 years old and became enthralled with Duke basketball, Coach K has been my coach from a distance. I still can't imagine what it will be like without him. Our fanbase has been beyond lucky to expect a top 10 team competing for a national championship year in and year out. The level of consistency in the last 30+ years of perennial success is unmatched by any coach/program in the history of college basketball. Of course other fanbases will try to diminish his legacy, but we know what he's done and his value to the game of basketball. He is the Michael Jordan of coaches (I know a UNC guy is a bad comp but you know what I mean). Like most of us, all I can say is "Thank You". You will forever be the best coach I have ever seen, it has been a pleasure to be on the ride watching.

As far as the decision to hire Scheyer, I love it. I'm actually a little surprised more people aren't as excited as I am about it. He's a young coach who I think will do a great job recruiting and seems to have the composure needed to take over. Brad Stevens was never going to happen, and I didn't want it to. Duke is different because of "The Brotherhood" and the culture Coach K has created. I understand some people wanting someone from "The Brotherhood" with head coaching experience. But to be honest, none of them have had the success to make it a no-brainer other than maybe Quin Snyder (Looks like he's an NBA guy to stay). Scheyer has been a player or coach on 12 of the last 15 teams. Like Coach K said, succession is key and Jon seems to be in the best position for as seamless of a transition as possible. I like Capel, but I think he knew when he left for Pitt that he was basically taking his name off the list. I also don't think he would leave Pitt and his players hanging after such a short tenure (Even for the Duke job). Amaker has done good things at Harvard, but has been away from Duke for so long. Even Collins and Wojo have been gone for quite a while now. Not to say that's a bad thing, but I like the continuity with Scheyer. And if that's what Coach K is thinking too, then who am I to question that?

Here's to a great last ride and hopefully banner number 6 for Coach. Like most of you have said, this team and coaching staff will have all the motivation in the world to compete at the highest level next year. Especially after a rough season like last year.

I haven't been on the board much this past year due to many reasons, but I feel like I had to come back for this! Ever since I was 8 years old and became enthralled with Duke basketball, Coach K has been my coach from a distance. I still can't imagine what it will be like without him. Our fanbase has been beyond lucky to expect a top 10 team competing for a national championship year in and year out. The level of consistency in the last 30+ years of perennial success is unmatched by any coach/program in the history of college basketball. Of course other fanbases will try to diminish his legacy, but we know what he's done and his value to the game of basketball. He is the Michael Jordan of coaches (I know a UNC guy is a bad comp but you know what I mean). Like most of us, all I can say is "Thank You". You will forever be the best coach I have ever seen, it has been a pleasure to be on the ride watching.

As far as the decision to hire Scheyer, I love it. I'm actually a little surprised more people aren't as excited as I am about it. He's a young coach who I think will do a great job recruiting and seems to have the composure needed to take over. Brad Stevens was never going to happen, and I didn't want it to. Duke is different because of "The Brotherhood" and the culture Coach K has created. I understand some people wanting someone from "The Brotherhood" with head coaching experience. But to be honest, none of them have had the success to make it a no-brainer other than maybe Quin Snyder (Looks like he's an NBA guy to stay). Scheyer has been a player or coach on 12 of the last 15 teams. Like Coach K said, succession is key and Jon seems to be in the best position for as seamless of a transition as possible. I like Capel, but I think he knew when he left for Pitt that he was basically taking his name off the list. I also don't think he would leave Pitt and his players hanging after such a short tenure (Even for the Duke job). Amaker has done good things at Harvard, but has been away from Duke for so long. Even Collins and Wojo have been gone for quite a while now. Not to say that's a bad thing, but I like the continuity with Scheyer. And if that's what Coach K is thinking too, then who am I to question that?

Here's to a great last ride and hopefully banner number 6 for Coach. Like most of you have said, this team and coaching staff will have all the motivation in the world to compete at the highest level next year. Especially after a rough season like last year.
Good post. Need more like them. OFC

Q says he supports Scheyer as our new coach he just preferred Capel. A lot of Duke fans wanted Capel. I don't see the big deal. Q supports Jon. Let it be. OFC
Perfect summation. Everyone has different preferences and we don’t know who will succeed. But when some say Scheyer is the better choice but really can’t prove how he’s the better choice, it’s just like just say he was your preference because he has no record/experience to compare to other possible candidates. That helps and hurts him (no experience). I trust K with players and I’m going to trust him with this hire as well. I’m a Duke fan and decisions beyond my control are just that. No amount of bitchin or complaining is going to change that. Like I stated earlier, if Scheyer knocks it out of the park and coaches here 30-40 years, Duke will have only had 2 coaches in 80+ years!

Continuity is certainly a key with the Scheyer offer, but I disagree that the other coaches from the Brotherhood are far removed. That’s why it’s a brotherhood and with K being an ambassador of Duke once he retires, they would certainly have him as a resource. I don’t think they’ve forgotten all they’ve learned from K (either playing or working for him). They just don’t have Duke type resources with them at their current jobs.

Reactions: christophero
I’m not getting on any one or saying any one is wrong or right. I’m for John because simply he has been the lead recruiter on some big time recruits and he is an up and coming head coach candidate. He is also one of my favorite Duke players of all time .

Q says he supports Scheyer as our new coach he just preferred Capel. A lot of Duke fans wanted Capel. I don't see the big deal. Q supports Jon. Let it be. OFC
Capel had his chance at Oklahoma; can’t pretend that it doesn’t matter. Scheyer is the right guy. No guarantees but this is who Coach hand picked.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
I’m not getting on any one or saying any one is wrong or right. I’m for John because simply he has been the lead recruiter on some big time recruits and he is an up and coming head coach candidate. He is also one of my favorite Duke players of all time .
In eight years (five at OU and three at Pitt) as hc at power 5 schools Capels teams have had a winning record in conference twice

Shey i respect your perspective and stance. Who knows what’ll happen. I think to me, Jon was the logical and only hire we could make. I think it’s right, but we have to see if it will be right.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Shey i respect your perspective and stance. Who knows what’ll happen. I think to me, Jon was the logical and only hire we could make. I think it’s right, but we have to see if it will be right.
And I get what others are saying Timo. No one knows what discussions went on prior to the decisions that were made. Shoot we don’t know if any of the others even wanted the job.
for me it was simple given the timing of things. No one knows what impact COVID will have this season, the new leagues popping up designed for the elite high school kids to get paid instead of going to college and how much more the gleague and over seas teams will change to keep getting the elite high school kids. There is, IMO no better time to being on a young coach who has both seen success and disappointment with trying to make it to the league and has played overseas. To me John checks all the boxes except experience which he will get hands on as a head coach in 2022.
It would be funny if John gets his first championship before the other named coaches and then the story will flip to,” Well he does coach for Duke!” Instead of it being because his knowledge of the game.

Reactions: timo0402
And I get what others are saying Timo. No one knows what discussions went on prior to the decisions that were made. Shoot we don’t know if any of the others even wanted the job.
for me it was simple given the timing of things. No one knows what impact COVID will have this season, the new leagues popping up designed for the elite high school kids to get paid instead of going to college and how much more the gleague and over seas teams will change to keep getting the elite high school kids. There is, IMO no better time to being on a young coach who has both seen success and disappointment with trying to make it to the league and has played overseas. To me John checks all the boxes except experience which he will get hands on as a head coach in 2022.
It would be funny if John gets his first championship before the other named coaches and then the story will flip to,” Well he does coach for Duke!” Instead of it being because his knowledge of the game.
To your point, no matter what K said (ducks for cover), he’s leaving the game bc of all of those things you mentioned. Jon is a young guy, he is much more apt to be able to handle the changing landscapes of the game.

Will it be harder to lockdown recruits now? Coach K was the big sell at the end of the day. Plus we’ve heard Jon is good with Xs as Os but how is he as a motivator? This will be very interesting. I hope he hires a true big man to coach our bigs moving forward.

Will it be harder to lockdown recruits now? Coach K was the big sell at the end of the day. Plus we’ve heard Jon is good with Xs as Os but how is he as a motivator? This will be very interesting. I hope he hires a true big man to coach our bigs moving forward.
Because big men have been our problem? You also realize he’s been the top Recruiter for the last five years right?

Scheyer already has a good core coaching staff. Nolan is another up and coming head coach. It does remain to be seen if C-Well opts in 2022 to take a head coaching job of his own. With the land scape changing in college basketball seeing who John lands as his first recruit will be huge.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I think it's a fair point that he's been recruiting for Coach K. So was James, Capel, Dawkins, Amaker, Collins and all our other rising stars on the bench. And he's never been a head coach. Now he may well do a great job; but it's a concern that numerous articles have mentioned. I'm sure Jon is well aware of the challenges. He's not going to have coach K to rely on forever; eventually he must forge his own path. He is going to have to be a quick learner, and have thick skin. I'd say he's up for it.

I think it's a fair point that he's been recruiting for Coach K. So was James, Capel, Dawkins, Amaker, Collins and all our other rising stars on the bench. And he's never been a head coach. Now he may well do a great job; but it's a concern that numerous articles have mentioned. I'm sure Jon is well aware of the challenges. He's not going to have coach K to rely on forever; eventually he must forge his own path. He is going to have to be a quick learner, and have thick skin. I'd say he's up for it.
Only thing I’d say is that Jon and Capel are the two best recruiters we’ve had. The others, while good, weren’t like them.

Very true. If Jon can continue to recruit, he's halfway there. And i have a feeling he's gonna go aggressively into the transfer market and have more success there than we've had.

Reactions: timo0402
Very true. If Jon can continue to recruit, he's halfway there. And i have a feeling he's gonna go aggressively into the transfer market and have more success there than we've had.
I don’t think he’ll use the transfer portal unless they are Uber talented and someone he thinks fits right in. I think Johns first class will be a mixture of ranked (5-3 star) players. Unlike before , Nolan will be helping with recruiting and bringing a lot of young ideas with him.

C-Well?

Because big men have been our problem? You also realize he’s been the top Recruiter for the last five years right?
Did I hit a nerve haha. Nate James is gone so someone has to replace him. Plus why not get someone that actually played the position to coach it. That will make them even better. He was a top recruiter but that was with Coach K s as the follow up. Kids were in awe of him and once they talked to K that closed the deal. He won’t have that lifeline anymore. We have no idea how this will go. I just asked questions smh. Rhetorical ones at that

I don't know much longer JJ Redick will be in the NBA but as career does wind down he would make a great shooting coach at Duke both from the field and the free throw line. Something for Coach Scheyer to consider and if JJ would like to become part of the coaching staff. Just think how much that would piss off opposing teams. OFC

I don't know much longer JJ Redick will be in the NBA but as career does wind down he would make a great shooting coach at Duke both from the field and the free throw line. Something for Coach Scheyer to consider and if JJ would like to become part of the coaching staff. Just think how much that would piss off opposing teams. OFC
LOVE idea Sky!!!!

To go along with what sky just said. It was known after he was traded this season that he felt like he had earned the right to be traded where he wanted to go( which I believe he has) and the Pelicans ignored his request to be closer to his family and after the following injury he is going to make a decision after this season on his career.

Reactions: skysdad

Would absolutely love this. Redick has stated in the past that if asked to coach at Duke, he would say yes.

Reactions: skysdad
Yes but Capel was recruiting them in middle school. Scheyer has been a winner as a player and assistant. Let's enjoy the ride.

I’m in the boat where I don’t think him leaving will affect recruiting much. Maybe slightly but Duke is still Duke and kids are still going to want to play for us simply because of that. Two of our 2022 recruits have already said that this doesn’t change anything for them. The Duke brand is strong and Scheyer is very good at making connections with these young guys.

Reactions: timritterus
Only thing I’d say is that Jon and Capel are the two best recruiters we’ve had. The others, while good, weren’t like them.

I'd add Quin Snyder to those two. He brought in a ton of talent as an assistant. Was the lead recruiter for nearly all the guys on the 99 team. Pretty sure he was also integral in recruiting the next class with JWill, Boozer, Dunleavy etc. before leaving.

I'd add Quin Snyder to those two. He brought in a ton of talent as an assistant. Was the lead recruiter for nearly all the guys on the 99 team. Pretty sure he was also integral in recruiting the next class with JWill, Boozer, Dunleavy etc. before leaving.
If I recall correctly Amaker was a pretty good recruiter. OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT