ADVERTISEMENT

K retiring after this year

Wow. Not too much pressure this season lol. I guess we all knew this was coming. Thank you coach for all you have done. Interesting the same day as the Stevens announcement.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
5a741c10-6332-4a16-b1c9-13aa562ca36d_text.gif

Time to go out with a bang. Win the ACC regular season, the ACC tourney, and then the big one to top it off.

Hard to believe it it was also hard to believe he’s be here this long and still be coaching. Fellas no matter what, let’s just enjoy every game with him.

Not surprised, but sad. The game and the players have changed so much that its not the same as when he first stepped in. Frankly, I think we will see a flurry of older coaches call it a day...Roy, K maybe Cal and Boheim etc..it takes a different mentality to deal with todays young players and the new NCAA transfer rules. I am a Duke fan due to Coach K and will always consider him a man of great character and influence.

When do tickets go on sale for the upcoming season? I have to take my son to see one game with the GOAT

Reactions: DBM0828
LUCKILY, I’VE BEEN PREPARED FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME. I CAN’T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE GREATEST COACH IN BASKETBALL HISTORY! THE MAN! THE MAN DESERVE ALL OF THE PRAISES AND THERE AREN’T ENOUGH ADJECTIVES TO DESCRIBE HIS TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON AND OFF THE COURT (NOT TO MENTION HIS STREET CRED WITHIN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY)!

TAKE A BOW COACH, YOU DESERVE IT AND A WELL DESERVED RETIREMENT FROM KICKIN ASS FOR 45 YEARS!

Last edited:
Even though a lot of people expected it, it’s still a tough day. Somebody said it earlier, Coach has been at Duke longer then I’ve been alive. Crazy. Hope this season is memorable.

Wonder if he and Ole Roy talked about this. Just because we don't think much of Roy, doesn't mean Coach K and he don't talk about such thingss.

Why would he announce it a year in advance??
Who knows...maybe to swoop in on Brad Stevens before he signs that President Of Basketball Operations contract with the Celtics. Wishful thinking I know. Boston will not be contending in the near future. Come back to college.

Reactions: hpnole
You knew it was coming within a few years, but just really sad for me as so many other fans. Hate to see such a glorious era come to an end.

He has been the coach at Duke my entire adult life. When he started in 1981, I was 20 years old. Now I'm 60.

40 years I've watched him coach. Makes me long for the mid-80's to mid-90's era. I just loved being a fan and watching him.

In the past 15 years or so there were times of frustration; yet, I'd never want another coach besides K. His love for the game. His integrity. All of that will forever be a great mark. Aside from his unprecedented success in the 64 team era.

What can you say? We are fortunate to have lived in this era and seen such great longevity. Still, I'll be shedding tears many times this year at the thought of his departure.

Came a year earlier than I though. Figured he would stay until his grandson graduated. Like that he made he announcement a year in advance. Some coaches retire between seasons making it a tough transition for the next coach. Expecting Duke to name his replacement fairly soon. At least before next season ends. makes for a smoother transition. OFC

Why would he announce it a year in advance??
Because like some programs where the coach leaves between seasons it makes for a smoother transition and makes it a little easier for the next coach. Also lets recruits know about where the program is. All about integrity and love of the program and the players . OFC

We’ve known this day was coming for some time now. My suspicion is that the pandemic hit Krzyzewski hard. He seemed to age more over the course of this season than any in recent memory. Although, I think he’s been enjoying it less and less, possibly going back to the Bagley year. I think losing Zion to injury really hit him as well. I honestly think he would have announced his retirement after that season, had it been what it could have been.

I’m also guessing the pandemic put things into a different perspective. He’s in great shape (presumably) and might just want to spend his remaining years with his family.

All that said, now it’s time to begin the conversation, in earnest, about who succeeds him. And, as of just now, that’s Scheyer. Which is both great and not great for John Scheyer. He gets the chance to follow the GOAT, but… he gets to follow the GOAT. How many guys were truly successful in doing that? For most, at best, they were set up for success by the retiring icon, and had their best year their first year. How long Scheyer remains is entirely up to him. But, he has big shoes to fill with scant time in which to fill them.

I like Scheyer but you don't want to set the guy up for failure either. That's one heck of a first job.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Jon has my full support. He is Duke ready. feel Coach K has groomed him for the transition but that is just my opinion. He and Nolan came in together and Nolan is gonna be a big part of the program until he is ready to move on to his own program if he chooses. I know a lot of Duke fans wanted someone outside the brotherhood but Jon is very capable. I expect the season following Coach K's last that there will be lots of opinions on this board and face book groups that will know more than Jon about winning the games we lost just like they did with Coach K. They are what they are keyboard pecking recliner coaches. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT