ADVERTISEMENT

K retiring after this year

I like Scheyer, but I think Capel deserves it. He was part of making Duke cool again on the recruiting trail and he has head coaching and NCAA Tournament experience. If you love experience, Scheyer isn’t the man for the job at the moment.

Too many eyes will be on Duke after K retires for Capel to be able Head Coach. Between his issues at Oklahoma, and all the noise regarding recruiting when Capel was leading the charge at Duke, the writers who would let things slide because of their respect for K would be all over Capel at Duke.

Scheyer doesn’t have that negative reputation in the recruiting world that could dirty us up once K is gone and he takes over. Hate it for Jeff but there just isn’t enough upside to take that risk.

Why? Amaker has no pressure on him at Harvard and what has Collins accomplished as a head Coach at North Western?

Both have had success at nothing programs and have been the actual head coach, unlike Jon. And Chris, in the big ten, took Northwestern to their FIRST EVER NCAAA appearance.

in a lot of ways, this pick feels like one of convenience.

Reactions: Quavarius
Too many eyes will be on Duke after K retires for Capel to be able Head Coach. Between his issues at Oklahoma, and all the noise regarding recruiting when Capel was leading the charge at Duke, the writers who would let things slide because of their respect for K would be all over Capel at Duke.

Scheyer doesn’t have that negative reputation in the recruiting world that could dirty us up once K is gone and he takes over. Hate it for Jeff but there just isn’t enough upside to take that risk.
Jeff was never accused of anything. The NCAA never punished him which is why he was able to come to Duke and then go to Pitt. Fans are the only ones who care about the “dirty recruiting” stuff. I mean, no one wrote about it while he was at Duke or even at Pitt. I think everyone has accepted that college basketball is dirty, it just depends on the variations. So that’s a weak excuse especially when Capel has the experience (something a lot of folks claim they want from players). Look, I don’t mind that Scheyer will be the new coach and I will hope for his success as a Duke fan, he just wouldn’t have been my choice (not right now). History isn’t on his side, which may bode well for other experienced coaches like Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, Collins, Stevens, etc. to follow the man who followed the man.

Scheyer has Coach K's endorsement. That's good enough for me. It will be VERY interesting how recruiting goes for 2022. I'm willing to give Scheyer some time though, just like we did with Coach K.
Interesting, but we’re living in different times. Now that college basketball is a BIGGER business than it was when K first started, he may not get as much time as K did. I mean, there will never be another Coach K so we shouldn’t expect anyone to be him or be afforded the same exact things that were given to K.

Reactions: christophero
All I hope is that there is still A Countdown this year, so I can Experience it one more time with him at the reigns... I'm going to miss him like crazy. He is Duke Basketball, and Duke basketball is him... But all great things, must come to an end... It will be strange, but I believe Jon will do good things. Will probably be 2 years off because he will have to do a COMPLETE roster filling. And I mean COMPLETE... but K will still be around to guide and lend that knowledge... another thing those last UNC game tickets are going to be 10,000 dollars lol. I'd love to see an entire section of Only Duke players to send him off... alot of tears will be shed that day.

Just read the USA article on the hiring. They think we should have gone with someone in the family more experienced or a bigger name. I guess time will tell. They also agreed with Q that he will under much more scrutiny and have a shorter leash than coach did in the 80's. I really hope he succeeds. He certainly has the opportunity of a lifetime.

Last edited:
Both have had success at nothing programs and have been the actual head coach, unlike Jon. And Chris, in the big ten, took Northwestern to their FIRST EVER NCAAA appearance.

in a lot of ways, this pick feels like one of convenience.
Collins is on the hot seat at North Western. Define success? Are you going off of NCAA Tourney appearances? What if it was Collins, Wojo or Capel but all three decided they didn’t want to wait their time for K to step down? Not sure any of them want to fall into K’s shadow and not sure Amaker would ever leave Harvard. He don’t have any pressure on him there.
look what happened to Dawkins at Stanford. He took over a program coming off a high from the Lopez brothers and managed to bring in chase Randle and forgot the big guys name that transferred to UK and still was fired. Don’t think we see him leave UCF and hasn’t done anything there sense taco and his son left.
scheyer is a hot name right now in young coaches so why not give him the shot! Nolan could have left but I think he knew the torch was gonna pass and he decided to stick with his friend not just Duke. I’m not setting the bar high for Scheyer’s first couple of years but he, IMO is going to surprise many people.

Fair enough, and I think Scheyer has a good chance to succeed. But I remember hearing that Dawkins, Collins, Amaker and Capel were rising stars as well. I do think that this year will help, as Scheyer can be given more responsibility. Let him coach a few games against some easier teams. They do seem sure of the Scheyer choice, as they did not seem to contact anyone else about the job.

Last edited:
The press release made it sound like they did reach out in their search. I don't think they had to reach out for Wojo, Collins, Hurley or Dawkins unless to make an offer. Who knows if they did speak to anyone else. It's not the kind of thing where you post it on Indeed.com.

My guess is this has been in the works for a long time, perhaps during the past season when K was clearly unhappy with playing the season and then the JJ saga, and it culminated in a well orchestrated announcement. The only unknown was Brad Stevens announcing the same day.

I've been a Stevens guy, but I admit if he's burned out he's not the right man for the job. Maybe a young guy is the right guy. Otherwise we will be back looking for a big name in a few years, but that could happen with any coach. maybe this is a heart decision, and enthusiasm and family matter more than experience.

I've been a Stevens guy, but I admit if he's burned out he's not the right man for the job. Maybe a young guy is the right guy. Otherwise we will be back looking for a big name in a few years, but that could happen with any coach. maybe this is a heart decision, and enthusiasm and family matter more than experience.
Now that IS one of the strengths of the Scheyer hire. His age is a strength (and to some a weakness). Because IF he does turn into an elite coach and coaches for 30+ years, Duke will have had only 2 coaches in the last 70+ years. That is certainly great for continuity.

If you look at UNC’s blueprint, after Dean, Gut went to two FF’s but wasn’t a long-term solution and then they went younger with Doughtery, who was a terrible hire before Roy (although Doughtery brought in a top-ranked class the year before he was canned). We [Duke] don’t have a Roy Williams type Coach on the college level although Quin Snyder has certainly made a name for himself as an NBA coach. So, UNC got it right on their third hire, with a middle-aged coach who was there for like 18 seasons and won 3 titles and went to like 6 FF’s. So, that third coach may be the one where we get it right. Who knows. But I’m ready for the ride!

Last edited:
I’m sure Jon will be in touch soon to learn the pick n roll, since there’s no defense for that.
I actually don’t care for all the pick n roll unless we have a point guard that’s good at it. I’m old school. Run some pin downs and high lows. Play inside out.

I watched the press conference alone like so many Duke games in the past. I'm glad I was alone because I cried like a baby. As Duke fans we need to cherish and embrace this season no matter what the result may be. We will never see the likes of another man like Coach K again. Just as much a great man as he is a coach. OFC

Did Coach K and Jeff Goodman get into a heated exchange? ESPN radio’s broadcast stopped carrying the press conference. If so, I’m going to run through the brick wall right now if K told him to F***OFF!

Coach K holds many records, some which are untouchable. But here are a few that Scheyer will beat:

1. Coach K holds an active streak of 22 seasons without winning a coaching award. Scheyer only has to win ONE award before 2045 to beat that record. Easy.

2. Coach K has 5 National Titles. Scheyer already has 2 and hasn't even coached his first season yet! Way ahead of pace.

3. Coach K won only 38 games his first three seasons at Duke. C'mon, Scheyer will do that in 2 seasons.

4. Coach K coached 23 Consensus All-Americans. But.......... Scheyer helped coach 7 of those (8 if you count Nolan Smith who Scheyer "coached" the three years they played together, which I do). And another one was Jon Scheyer himself! Give Scheyer 45 years to coach like we gave K, and he only needs one every 3 years. Done.

I watched the press conference alone like so many Duke games in the past. I'm glad I was alone because I cried like a baby. As Duke fans we need to cherish and embrace this season no matter what the result may be. We will never see the likes of another man like Coach K again. Just as much a great man as he is a coach. OFC
I agree. I was trying to tell some of the crybaby fans who complained last year that one day, there will be no Coach K on the sideline and to cherish the moments (one actually said he should’ve retired after the 2019 season).

That press conference was surreal to watch. What a season this upcoming one will be...really hope Duke can send him out on top.

Reactions: skysdad
That press conference was surreal to watch. What a season this upcoming one will be...really hope Duke can send him out on top.
Loved how he cussed. It’s like he’s saying,” I’m going to give you haters one season of all my basketball smarts, all my grit and all my love for the game and at the end when it’s all over I’m going to walk away knowing Duke is still in good hands!”

Quotes from Jon Scheyer from today's press conference:

I like Scheyer, but I think Capel deserves it. He was part of making Duke cool again on the recruiting trail and he has head coaching and NCAA Tournament experience. If you love experience, Scheyer isn’t the man for the job at the moment.
I like Capel but Jon is a better choice in my opinion. We don't want an ex tarheel for assistant coach in case brother needs a job.

I like Capel but Jon is a better choice in my opinion. We don't want an ex tarheel for assistant coach in case brother needs a job.
Better choice? How? We have no records to compare. I just wouldn’t hand over my Mercedes Benz to a 16 year old as their first car. Again, I’ll support Scheyer no doubt, just wouldn’t have been my first choice.

We will see. It's a bold move. He has my support but I'm pretty nervous. He will obviously have to prove himself. Coach K did not have anywhere near the pressure Jon is going to have when he started. Getting a good first recruiting class is a must, and the bar has been set pretty high there. There are not going to be many returning guys. Jimbo Fisher had success at FSU after Bowden, but he also inherited a very talented team. This board seems pretty confident, so maybe I should just go with it.

Last edited:
Better choice? How? We have no records to compare. I just wouldn’t hand over my Mercedes Benz to a 16 year old as their first car. Again, I’ll support Scheyer no doubt, just wouldn’t have been my first choice.
I did to mine when he turned 16. Sometimes you have to see what one will do before saying someone could have done better. It might be the opposite for the AD. They might have seen no one with a extraordinary record to say they would have been a better choice or their achievements thus far weren’t anything they didn’t believe Scheyer could achieve with this chance. IMO, I don’t see a better pick over Scheyer. Wither the candidate was from the Duke family or anyone else who might have called. K’s voice carries about of clout.

Q says he supports Scheyer as our new coach he just preferred Capel. A lot of Duke fans wanted Capel. I don't see the big deal. Q supports Jon. Let it be. OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT